[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how long take to you find a job?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 16

File: job-seeker-sign.jpg (153KB, 726x483px) Image search: [Google]
job-seeker-sign.jpg
153KB, 726x483px
how long take to you find a job?
>>
>>38307318
It has varied from 2 weeks to 6 months
Sometimes it just doesnt happen
Ive had six different jobs so far
>>
The last I tried to get a job was when I was a senior in high school. I went to an open interview at Chicfila and got a call a week later. Currently not working because of school.
>>
when i didn't have a car i applied to 3-4 every day for 6 months and got nowhere.
when i got a car i had a job within a month.
>>
once you have 3 or 4 years of NEET time getting a job becomes impossible. Nobody will touch you with a 10 foot pole.
>>
I had been NEET for around 10 years, when I actually wanted to find a job it took me like 2 weeks.

I have the advantage of being a pretty good programmer tho.
>>
File: 1498961836056-r9k.png (46KB, 570x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498961836056-r9k.png
46KB, 570x400px
>tfw never had a job
feels good man
I did once do work experience though, worst week of my life. How do people do it?
>>
>>38307475
NICEeeeeeeeeeee
orrr
>>
Whenever I put real effort into job searching it takes me no more than 3 months. Any longer than that means you're a lazy fucking bum pretending to look for a job.
>>
File: 1499107117435.gif (586KB, 637x597px) Image search: [Google]
1499107117435.gif
586KB, 637x597px
>>38307318
It'd be quicker if you just shook some hands, Champ.
>>
>>38307475
>tfw never had a job
>I did once do work experience though
???
>>
>>38307318
I find work easily, but I can only ever get bottom tier jobs that I end up quitting after a few weeks.

If you're willing to do the shittest jobs there are, you really can find work very easily. It doesn't matter if you're a 10 year NEET or a convinced criminal, they always need people to fill in vacancies for things like minimum wage warehouse work, but the companies you work for will be shady as fuck and you will be badly treated.
>>
job I have now:

3-4 well thought out applications per day for 4 months. 400 applications total. 4 interviews (1% interview rate). 1 job (0.25% hiring rate).

Actually not making this up.
>>
File: 1499030776408.jpg (1MB, 1545x1243px) Image search: [Google]
1499030776408.jpg
1MB, 1545x1243px
>>38308116
"Hey, Martha! Martha! Look at this guy: He didn't take my advice. What a maroon!"
>>
I walked into the supermarket.
Threw my shit there and could work.
just be medium at everything If the jobs sucks Ill fire myself
>>
>>38307820
Work experience is not a job
>>
>>38307318
In small towns it takes for fucking ever. In a city it happened in 3 days. As long As you don't live in Trump territory it's easy.
>>
>>38307318
I could get one tomorrow if I really, really, really fucking tried.
But I never want to try hard enough and end up in a job that will make my anxiety come back... I want something I feel comfortable doing.
I've only ever really done retail and that's the only thing I feel comfortable doing... dunno why I'm so scared to try something new or try get into something much better.
>>
You can get a shitty job ASAP, but a decent job will take a year or so
>>
I got a minimum wage job (11 dollars per hour + tips) quite easily, all I had to do was apply and two weeks later I started.
>>
>>38308116
I 've submitted like 20 fairly targeted resumes .

All jobs I was qualified or over qualified to do.

2 unpaid internships.

5 interviews and no job.
>>
>>38307318
After I got medical discharged out of the army it took me three years to find work.
>>
>>38307318
13 months and no job.
Had to file for unemployment, food stamps and lost my apartment.

Got sick of putting in applications that went no where and finally decided to fo to the unemployment office so they can help me get fucking work.
idc what is is, just get me off the fucking street
>>
>>38307318
originally 1 week.
>>
>>38307318
I have yet to find any. "Part time" jobs don't exist any more. they are all 34 hours or what ever that maximum is before they have to give you benefits. I can only work 4 hours a day because I'm tied up with family obligations taking care of kids and no one will hire me. I get interviews often enough but they always ask "is 20 hours a weak your maximum? I always tell them yes because I can only work 4 hour shifts and that's the end. I can fell that with that they have made the choice not to hire me.
>>
>>38307318
I've interviewed for 4 jobs in the past 9 months. Of those 4 I got 4 offers all over six figures.

IT is a good field robots! I'm taking the latest job offer and going to be shitposting in style now.
>>
>>38309027
Are you still homeless?
>>
>>38309129
You bet your sweet boipussy i am.
Using mcdonalds wifi right now
>>
>>38307318
A couple days. You really do walk into a place and find the guy who handles the hiring and shake his hand. It's really that easy, anons.

Just like try it once you defeatist niggers.
>>
>>38309090
>"Part time" jobs don't exist any more.

its true

how did this happen?
>>
>>38309261
Heck, I once shook the guy's hand and had the tubby Mr. Shekelstein chase me down in the parking lot as I was leaving to hire me.

How you guys can't find a job when you're meeting people face to face baffles me.

Apply online is a meme meant to weed out those who don't care enough to at least come in early and talk to a manager who can hire.
>>
>>38309319
this is obviously a bait post, but it does kinda suck how you can't really apply in store these days

no major retailer accepts in store applications anymore, you have to go through the online process which is annoying and unnecessarily long-winded
>>
>>38309197
So still jobless?

>>38309313
Fucking Mexicans are willing to work that much hours with no benefits
>>
>>38309313
Companies realized that there was no reason to have full time except for specific positions. Then they realized there are lo laws obligating them to give the agreed upon hours. So they made basically everyone "Part Time" to get around paying them more and giving them benefits. With so many people getting screwed over so fucking hard they became desperate and accepted worse jobs and hours. It got to the point that if you don't have perfect availability you wont be hired because there are three mothers and a father who lost his career that are willing to have perfect availability and give up their lives for their jobs.

The old "Part time" idea intrinsically means that that employee does not have perfect availability. Thus they are not wanted.
>>
>>38307318
2 days was the longest it took me to find a job, go to temp agencies and they get you employed real quick
>>
>>38307318
2 years with no experience. After high school literally no one would hire me, and I refused to work a mcjob because I hated customers. Then my friend called me and got me a job at a warehouse.

Worked that job for 2 years, and then quit for another job. Then I got fired from that job a few months later for not being fast enough.
I've been NEET for 3 months now, and nothing at the moment. Got 1 interview but it was really shit pay so I refused. I'm glad I got experience so I can actually get calls now, but I haven't found the one for me yet.
>>
>>38309491
Whats a temp agency and how do you find one?
>>
>>38309415
I really am confused as to why people think this is bait or it doesn't work.

It's no wonder people laugh at the idea but then can't figure out why they're unemployed for months on end.

1. Go to major area in your city or nearby
2. Drive/walk around checking in at every place that looks like you might want to work at
3. Go in and ask an employee "Do you know if there are any open positions here?" If they say no, go back outside and hit the next place.
4. If they say anything but no see if you can't get the guy who handles hiring's attention and just introduce yourself and ask about the work. Then put an application in.
5. Rinse and repeat until you get a job within a full time week's worth of trying.

Has never failed me.
>>
File: 1489866001171.png (72KB, 279x360px) Image search: [Google]
1489866001171.png
72KB, 279x360px
>>38307318
about a month or so, was still in senior year of college.
luckily for me, because i didn't have an internship
>>
Indeed.com has been good to me so far, even though I have 0 work experience other than volunteer work I did in high school. Just the other day I decided to put in an application to Nordstrom and got emailed the next day asking to schedule a phone interview which I had today and now I've got an in person one scheduled for Thursday.

Only thing that sucks is I kinda get caught offguard when they ask me about times I've helped a customer or something since, well, I havent. So I tip toe around questions like that and reiterate the sort of volunteer work I've done. They assume you've worked before if you're over 20, so you're at a slight disadvantage, but if you make them see you're ready and excited to learn about all the ins and outs they will absolutely appreciate that instead of thinking you're getting a job simply because you have to or are bored. You've gotta act like you really want the job for the opportunity to work with others and learn.
>>
>>38309557
They have contracts with a lot of corporations. You work there for a small to medium amount of time then sometimes the corporation will ask you to stay on as a permanent team member. These are called temp-to-hire positions.

Otherwise, they will have a gig as soon as the other one ends. I just got a full-time job working through a temp agency and now I'm actually employed by the company I temped at.
>>
>>38307318
I've never been unemployed, except when I was a student away from home. My current job started as a paid internship that i dropped out of school to accept a full job offer from. I've been working there almost 2 years now.
>>
>>38309765
Just read up on bullshit corp speak nice answers online. The interview is to make sure you're not a retard. Be smart and be prepared, even if you are "stretching the truth a little."
>>
>>38308919
same here
dsfdsffsdaf
>>
>>38307318
on average maybe a week but then again I have the standards and work ethic of a mexican so shitty jobs aren't to find and I have plenty of work experience
>>
>>38309582
doesn't work in my country

no big company takes in store applications anymore, you have to do it online - i mean, i've been through the process of going from place to place and looking for jobs, but only the smallest business will accept a CV in person
>>
Graduated with a high GPA as an EE with four internships.
Took me something like 4 months to get my first interview. Now it's a month later, and I had another interview yesterday, and have another one tomorrow. Yesterday's interview seemed to go well, and they told me that they'd have an offer and have me working within about a week if selected.
>>
Just lie on your resumes, congrats you have all now officially graduated from Ohio State University with an MBA, lie your way in and keep lying for as long as you can
>>
>>38309972
I don't want to go that far on lying. I feel like it would bite me in the butt sooner or later. I just lie about my last job experience.
I just say that I know how to do all these tasks and skills. That has worked out for me so far, and I've gotten nice opportunities.

What's funny is that all the jobs I've worked, they always asked for experience. Yet they still teach me how to do literally everything anyway. So win win.
>>
>>38309916
Yeah, you need to be smooth about it, anon.

You go in to ask about the open position and the work and just meet one of the people who handles hiring. You're not there to apply on the spot. You put in an application when you get home if they weren't assholes and they'll have a face to put to your name. Hopefully you made a good impression.

A good impression can be worth a lot but it varies. Some don't give a stone cold shit about you or if you're nice they really want to see two degrees and ten years experience for janitorial.
>>
>>38309972
Won't the background check expose you though?
>>
>>38310627
For education, yes, for work, depends, you can lie and say you were promoted
>>
>>38310627
you'll be fucked if you lie about school and they do a background check.
you can lie about work though. they'll never call the previous employer you list.
>>
File: Feels good man.jpg (8KB, 215x234px) Image search: [Google]
Feels good man.jpg
8KB, 215x234px
I once applied for a floor cleaning job at 10am and got a phone call regarding an interview at 11am the same day.
>>
>>38309491
Temp agencies are pretty decent. Even if you stop working for them for some reason, if you proved yourself to be a hard worker they will still call you regarding openings months or years later.
>>
>>38307318

My first job was in computer repair. I just walked in, asked if they were hiring there, and got the job right then and there. My second job was also in computer repair, And I pulled the same routine: walk in, introduce myself, tell them I'm looking for a job, and do a casual interview with the manager. Next job was in mcdonalds, where I got a callback two days after applying And was hired Thebes's next day, and I'm Due for a phone interview with NCR corp tomorrow.
>>
>>38311299
What store did you apply to that does computer repair?
>>
less than a week each time, one job i had an interview thursday and started working monday, my current job i had an interview tuesday and the next wednesday was my first day
>>
File: handshakedad.jpg (12KB, 211x300px) Image search: [Google]
handshakedad.jpg
12KB, 211x300px
>>38311299
"Good for you, Champ. Good for you."
>>
>>38309455
I just said im collecting unemployment retard so of course im jobless.
Atleast with my SNAP card i wont starve :D
>>
>>38307318
>tfw every job I see available in my field requires my degree and 4 years of experience
At this rate I'm going to end up in a dead end job doing completely unrelated work.
>>
>>38308899
Where help a robot out
>>
>>38311734
How hard is it to get food stamps?
>>
I got internships, mostly thanks to family or personal connections. Students from all over the country fight to death to get an internship there, they get hundreds if not thousands of applications each trimester, and I got it easily because my uncle is good friends with the boss there, invited him to lunch, had me arrive at dessert, and the boss liked me. They probably didn't even look at the other applications. Shit's unfair, but I intend on exploiting my family's connections as much as I can. No reason not to, if I don't do it some other asshole with less connections but even less integrity will get the jobs I want. Shouldn't be too hard to get a job once I finish uni, though, for the same reasons.

For more pocket money, I usually do tutoring, but I guess it's not really a job. I'm pretty good with kids, decent at teaching, and I'm in one of the most well known uni in my country, so it wasn't hard to find students either. And thankfully my family is still shilling for me at every occasion.
>>
First job was in McDonald's cause a friend hooked me up.

Second one was in Burger King cause the manager seemed to like me, so I was hired immediately.

Third one was at Rite Aid. Got notified a day after I put the application in cause the manager was in danger of getting fired if he didn't hire another person.
>>
Working for a salary is a socially acceptable form of slave labor.
>>
>>38311953
It took 2 weeks for them to approve me and i just told them I haven't been able to find a job in like a year and a half and didn't have any money left.
>>
>>38307318
Just an interview since I'm not retarded like the lot of you
>>
>>38312239
I'm sure you have issues of your own since you feel the need to get a self esteem boost on an anonymous image board.
>>
>>38312259
The (you)'s only give me more power
>>
>>38312290
Not enough power to straighten yourself out apparently
>>
File: fullsizeoutput_3b.jpg (121KB, 978x478px) Image search: [Google]
fullsizeoutput_3b.jpg
121KB, 978x478px
>>38307318
>Sent in application to FedEx on Monday
>Today got call from FedEx today
>Have an interview tomorrow
>Probably gonna get the job
Jobs are out there you just have to be open minded. You won't always be able to get your dream job.
>Leftists blame the Rich
>Alt-Right blames Mexicans
People are so fucking stupid.
>>
>>38312360
Enough to get me a job
>>
i can't get jobs, although i have been hired twice, i've never actually passed my probation period

i should just push for neetbux or something, but i'm too lazy to do that
>>
>>38312434
You got an interview, not a job.
And its probably some shitty retail job anyway
>>
>>38312467
No, I got the job and in a single interview. It's salary and 90k a year but thanks for playing, kiddo
>>
>>38307318
I am making close to 800,000 dollars a year working as a dishwasher and pie-maker at dominoes. took me about a month to find this job.
>>
>>38312412
I am alt right and blame poor people. Mexicans can't get jobs because you need to be legal in order to get a real job. Poor people are poor because they are lazy and stupid of their own volition.
>>
>>38312484

stop im gonna bust a gut hahahahah
>>
File: 1494281241969.png (150KB, 824x836px) Image search: [Google]
1494281241969.png
150KB, 824x836px
NEET for two years. My degree is worthless after all that time and I have no experience. Never getting a job desu
>>
>>38312560
I will since I'm assuming you don't have company healthcare like I do
>>
>>38312412
That job is the definition of wage slavery.
>>
>27
>haven't had meaningful work
>shit jobs here and there
>>
>>38312592
You dont make a 90k salary and you dont have a job, shut up kid.
Probably some 17 yo stoner that lives in the middle of nowhere with his mom and lies about his life because its so pathetic.
>>
>>38312618
>Wage Slavery
Every job that doesn't require a college degree or training is (((wage slavery))).
>>
>>38312682
Whatever you say my dude. Have fun fucking up your body for shit pay.
>>
>>38312651
You're just a butthurt loser. 90k a year is hardly unbelievable. Not everyone on this board is a bitter manchild raging at the world in mommy's basement
>>
>>38309090
If you can only work 4 hour shifts, no duh no one will hire you.
>>
File: jfw9ndwei.gif (1MB, 399x287px) Image search: [Google]
jfw9ndwei.gif
1MB, 399x287px
>>38307318
True story
>2011
>cali
>drug bust at large latino grocery store parking lot
>illegals were working there
>more than half the staff were caught
>help wanted
>must provide legal proof of residence
>can't speak spanish besides burrito and taco
>get hired as unpack/restock
>easy job get
I hated working there but it did pay for community college classes
>>
>>38312703
Yeah whatever you say little guy.
Make sure you get some extra tendies with that 90k salary lmfao
>>
After I graduated it took me like a month
>>
I went 5 years without finding a job when I was living the NEET life.
Since finally obtaining employment and job hopping for a while trust when I say, the only reason you cant find a job is you really arnt looking for one.
>>
>>38312835
I'm a vegetarian but nice cope. Wipe those tears away, anon. It's ok
>>
my story
>went to a union hall that controlled a job i was into
>asked how to get in
>do what they said
>wa la
>minimum $70000/yr +benefits and pension
>>
>>38312947
Youre most likely underage and a habitual liar. You arent impressing anyone here and you are painfully transparent.
>>
>>38313008
I'm sure if you keep taking shots in the dark that you'll hit your mark eventually. Don't give up, loser
>>
>>38313077
your you's are all the proof i need Mr. 90k salary auhahahahahha
>>
>>38313077
>>38313146
This shit is pathetic. You normal fags need to take your pissing contest to/b/ and stop shitting this board up. Who cares if that anon makes 90k. He obviously doesn't belong here and neither do you since you keep replying to obvious bait dummy reeeeeeee
>>
>>38313264
Hes just an insecure larper.
He belongs here like the rest of us because in reality hes just as much a fucking loser as the everyone else on this board hes shitting on.
>>
>>38313408
Then how bout you leave since you contribute to the degradation of this board with every shit post you reply to
>>
>>38313455
wire me a few bucks and ill leave Mr.90k salary :^)
>>
>>38307318
Walmart is pretty easy if you are willing to do fuck anything. They start at almost 10 bucks/hr.
>>
I had my job before I finished my Electrical Engineering four-year. $50k/year and health care on top, though I'm doing a lot more software shit than hardware/equipment/research. Also 55-60 hours a week going from 7AM-6:30PM isn't the best, but I ain't complaining. Learning a lot and getting to spend most of my time alone. They'll probably have me start programming and technical writing shit soon enough though.

I had been told there were more than 300 people they sifted through for my job (they hired a few people after me) and I can believe it, considering there were like 8 people they were interviewing on the same day as me and they receive 10-20 resumes a day from job sites.
>>
>>38307411
bullshit
Places hire housewives all the time. Why would they have a different standard for guys.
>>
>>38313516
You probably have a job you dumb normie. Stop ruining this place and go back to collecting upvotes you filthy normal slime
>>
>>38313606
oh man Mr. 90k salary and one interview here calling me a normie :^)
guess i better leave r9k rotfl
>>
>>38313648
Im not him and it makes me mad you would confuse me with a numale fuck like that reeeeeeeee go away this place isnt for you fkeocifns9w
>>
>>38310627
"background" checks are going to look for criminal history, sometimes credit, and sometimes school. There's no way to know exactly where someone was employed, there's no database for that--the IRS has taxable income, but there are tons of ways to explain why it wouldn't be there (but they can't even get that, that's illegal).

The only way to check your job history is to call people which is a clusterfuck. This one manager didn't know you, no one wants to return the call anyway, they're legally only allowed to say certain things.

Most companies do not check work history. Education, sure, because that's a set process but checking 5 jobs on a resume? Fuck that they'll believe it if you do well in the interview.

I got to sit in on a bunch of interviews at my last job and we got like 45 applications per position we opened. I asked the hiring manager if we checked their previous jobs and she laughed at me.
>>
>>38312219
Where I live, if you're unemployed for more than 3 months they took you off of food stamps. Great system.
>>
>>38309501
>After high school literally no one would hire me
Are you me?
>>
3-5 months after graduating after college (geophysics/engi). Only applied online. Was always afraid to apply places as I always felt hopeless underqualified/incompetent. Still feel that way, hence my apprehension of moving onto something new.

had no real working experience other than working construction (laborer) every summer in college and small temp jobs in high school. never applied for internships due to feeling i was unqualified for everything.

Had a job offer to go work as a Project Engineer (civil engi/surveying) for the same company/good pay, but i wanted to get my feet wet somewhere/something else. Eventually found work as a contractor to the government as an analyst/engineer. Still regret it, as I negotiated a shit starting salary due to being desperate. Also didn't realize the incompetence/bureaucracy that would exist at a government scientific organization. Would honestly rather work as a laborer again.

Been trying to find jobs that have a field aspect but have been unable to see many. I'm slowly pigeonholing myself more and more towards data science/software engineering much to my dismay.
>>
I had an internship but didn't get selected for the full time position so I thought I was fucked. After I graduated I found a job pretty fast with no connections. Not sure how I pulled that shit off. I cant tell you how many sales/commission jobs I declined. Fuck having to run people down.
>>
>>38307318
>no degree no hire
ok get a degree
>no car no hire
ok get a car
>no work exp no hire
so basically you will never get a job
>>
>>38307318
I nearly had an associates.
8 years of job experience.
No criminal record.
I'm normal and nice and people seem to like me.
Professional resume.
Applied for over 600 jobs.
No callbacks.

I haven't gone to school or worked for six years since.
I give up and don't care anymore.
I'm just waiting to die.
>>
>>38313865
id hire you for professional shitposting
>>
I work in a cat cafe. In the cat room. Basically I get to chill with cats until fucking assholes show up with their shitty kids. I'm terrified of tards coming in while I work because I know they're going to be retarded and get themselves bit/scratched. If that happens while I'm in the room it's my responsibility.

Fucking retards.
>>
>>38309582
What magical world do you live in that is a thing?
You're literally on some fucked up drug trip if you think that's how it works.
This isn't 1940.
You'd be lucky if the employee you talk to at the store is even there to glare at you and tell you agony online where you find out you can't apply online because your resume is still "on file for another year" and available in the pool of entries! :^)
>>
>>38314004
Hes right tho you cuck.
Getting a job is literally as easy as walking in talking to the manager and giving a firm handshake/resume.
>>
>>38307411
then im fucked. neet for 3 years.
>>
File: 1485683017192.jpg (100KB, 438x810px) Image search: [Google]
1485683017192.jpg
100KB, 438x810px
The position I'm currently temping in finally came up for proper competition. Possible 55k pay and great benefits despite my only having a high school diploma. Been doing temp work in different positions at this company for 4 years. I really hope I get this position permanently.

Wish me luck, guys.
>>
>>38313911
I'm not shit posting. That's legit what happened. I fucking walked on foot and filled out job applications to all the places I could and wrote all the online places down. Then filled those out too. Done places like lowes I adopted for like 10 postings. If anything I applied for more than I said. I just lost count.

People don't hire you ever.
I didn't even get an interview so I could fuck that up
>>
I've been working technically since the beginning of this year but I haven't been able to find a steady, normal job since I got fired earlier this year. Before then, it took me fucking years to find a job. I never understood how people were able to find a job just like that in just a few weeks or months.

>>38314042
>Getting a job is literally as easy as walking in talking to the manager and giving a firm handshake/resume.
I've done exactly this pretty much dozens of times and never even got a call back most of the time. No, it's not "that easy xD".
>>
>>38314042
You man the manager that only confess in every third tuesday from Minnesota except for when he doesn't between the hours of 4am and 5:17am which wendy the black magombu cashier "think" he comes in but she just lifta da box dun gib no fucks whiteboi holla

Shut the fuck up
The world doesn't work that way at all
>>
>>38307318
14 months since I graduated with an electrical engineering degree. 600+ applications (honestly I lost count, probably more by now), 15 invterviews, and no job. Best I got was a job offer to work in an assembly line for minimum wage.

I've been told numerous times that I lack experience which is why I'm refused for jobs. Yet I have no way of building experience if even entry level jobs still tell me "fuck off get more experience". Thinking about freelance engineering design/consulting under my own business but I have no idea how to start my own business or even get customers for that matter.
>>
>>38314173
Some places are legit not hiring.
I've never had a problem fidnign jobs in my line of work however.
If you can lift, have a good attitude and show up, quite alot of blue collar places will take you.

>>38314205
Your looking for jobs in the wrong places if you dont just walk in and get hired on the spot.
Never had a problem, if a "when can you start" isn't asked during the conversation then move on and look elsewhere.
>>
>>38309112
what kind of education / certs / experience do you have?
>>
>>38314232
>I've been told numerous times that I lack experience which is why I'm refused for jobs. Yet I have no way of building experience if even entry level jobs still tell me "fuck off get more experience"
The truth right here. The job market is completely fucked. No one wants to take the risk of hiring you if you have no job experience even if it's just some simple, stupid entry-level fast food or retail job where, let's be honest, they can teach you the relevant skills in less than a fucking hour. You know how long it took me to learn how to work the cashier at my current job? Like 5 minutes. Considering how automated that shit is nowadays, it should be about the same anywhere else, yet no one wants to have shit to do with you if your resume doesn't say that you worked in the same field for 5+ years.

I knew people who would rant to me for having 6+ years of cashier experience. Bitch, that don't mean shit. It's literally the most brain dead job there is.

>>38314269
Never tried working a blue collar place but retail? Fast food? No fucking luck whatsoever. It's such bullshit.
>>
>>38313584
Affirmative action is a thing, you know.
>>
>>38314348
>retail
>fast food
Go find a real job for real people and stop wasting your time for a shit wage.
>>
>>38314377
What do you suggest? I have no experience in any other field and I'm pretty much only really pursuing these places so I can go to school so I can eventually get a real job.
>>
>>38314348
>Never tried working a blue collar place

Blue Collar jobs will hire anyone that isn't a lazy mexican
>>
i was jobless neet for 6 months after falling for the uni meme
in the space of one week where I spent the entire day revamping my resume, doing research and cover letters, i got a job within the week

start at the bottom, competitive salary, company car and extreme benefits. life is fucking good lads
>>
>>38314407
Dunno man it depends what you want to do in the end.
Lots of bluecoller jobs will take people with no experience at all just to train them right and not have them develop bad habbits.
Whats your endgoal for school?
You might just be better off taking an apprenticeship and saying fuck it to getting a "ticket".
>>
>>38314445
I'm also kind of physically weak and I get exhausted fast. I plan on working out and lifting so I can be stronger but that's the thing. I need to do so much work to even get that sort of job.

And before anyone says shit, I actually did work that sort of job once and it was pretty physically demanding. My last 'real' retail job had me working out back sometimes doing some heavier lifting and that shit was hell on my back.

>>38314466
>in the space of one week where I spent the entire day revamping my resume, doing research and cover letters, i got a job within the week
I've done the same and gotten almost no results. People are luckier than others.
>>
>>38314504
>I'm also kind of physically weak and I get exhausted fast. I

Your body gets used to it
>>
>>38314494
>Lots of bluecoller jobs will take people with no experience at all just to train them right and not have them develop bad habbits.
I actually applied at a warehouse job once and got rejected for lack of experience. Did get a job interview though.

>>38314516
I doubt that.
>>
>>38314504
it wasnt really luck, i just fucking nailed the interview stage, on phone and in person
>>
>>38313935

Cat cafe? Sounds like something Japan would have, where you at nigga?
>>
>>38314545
I've had multiple interviews that seemed like they went pretty well and never gotten the job.
>>
>>38307318

> how long take to you find a job?

With that grammar, you NEVER will. Go pick cucumbers.
>>
>>38314562
well that sux for you
if it helps even if you did do a good interview, theres always someone better than you
>>
Got job at entry level IT position 2 years ago, part time $12/hr. Now I'm making $36k doing analytics/middle management stuff, probably getting a raise to at least $40k soon.

English degree. You can get a decent job with this degree, despite what people say. Really though, don't get an English degree.
>>
>>38314516
Pretty much this.
I weigh 120lbs and outlift everyone i work with in the granite industry.
Its all mental my man, keep pushing yourself and eventually you'll be laughing as 2 200lb guys struggle to lift one end of a piece of stone up stairs while your doing the otherside solo.
>>
A common misconception in Australia is that if you get a degree you have to work in your field, and youre kinda limited. I have a somewhat tech related degree and im currently being trained for a management/sales role.

set your sights wide robots
>>
>>38309949
>if selected

> IF

Oh you naive, ignorant child.
Exactly what do you think they tell EVERYBODY?
>>
>>38307318
>jobless for 10 years
>apply for job In transport
>didnt act like a tard
>got through Interview
>now making 100k/year

We normie now
>>
>>38307318
To get my first job only took about a month, but it was a seasonal, month long gig. The second job which I currently have took over 8 months to get. I had a two interviews before but nepotism actually fucked me for the first one. Second one I was just not qualified for the position
>>
I got my first job earlier this year, I'm 27.
>>
>>38307411
There are a lot of dehumanizing high stress jobs with a high drop este, that's how I have been leaving for the past six years. Im
>>
File: 1489203642763.jpg (62KB, 600x444px) Image search: [Google]
1489203642763.jpg
62KB, 600x444px
>>38314550
They have 'em in America now but they're pretty rare, like "one or maybe two to an entire metropolitan area" rare. Closest two to me are in Austin and Houston.
>>
>>38314613
I have a Bachelor of Arts, major in English Literature, minor in Creative Writing. I currently work in software development as a code monkey. At this point my degree serves no purpose except as a humorous bit of trivia to tell people after telling them my job.
>>
can someone pls tell me why USA has such shitty wages? i swear its like $6 someplaces. in australia minimum wage is pretty good
>>
13 months
At least the pay is good. I make 40k after taxes
>>
>>38307411
>NEET for 3 years cumulatively
>still get a highly technical job
?????
>>
File: mcdicks.jpg (264KB, 1280x904px) Image search: [Google]
mcdicks.jpg
264KB, 1280x904px
mcdonalds will instantly hire you if they need people
>>
>>38309972
If you were going to lie about a degree, why the fuck would you choose an MBA from Ohio State?
>>
>>38308116
can confirm very similar stats
>>
>>38314798
the unemployment gap is a red flag to employers, but can be overcome with other qualifications I believe.

i.e.
person with gap + no certifications / education
person with gap + relevant certifications + degree
who wins?
>>
>>38314789
Nobody gets paid $6 in the US except illegal immigrants working off the books and waiters at restaurants, who in reality make far, far more than that due to tips. If a waiter theoretically didn't make enough in tips to be over minimum wage his employer would have to pay the difference to get him over the minimum, but in that scenario he'd probably get canned since the only way a waiter doesn't get tipped in America is if they are absolute shit at their job. Even then some people feel obligated to tip. You have to seriously fuck up to not even make minimum wage in tips, there's no way you'd keep the job if that happened.

But in general, yeah, unskilled labor in America is not very well compensated, the idea is that if you don't like where you're at you should look for some place better. It's a different mindset than I see in Europeans, who tend to think in a more sedentary, rooted fashion. They plant themselves somewhere and then try to thrive, but in America it's pretty common to move around looking for new opportunities.

But I will say this: the professional class, educated people with careers, are VERY well compensated in America. Which is why professionals from other countries always want to come here, because our companies pay more. Of course the trade off is that America has a stricter work ethic than most of the first world, so while they will be making more money here they'll have less time off and less cushy benefits.
>>
>>38314768
The fuck, this sounds like exactly what I would've done if I actually finished school. So what do you develop?
>>
>>38307318
It takes me 3-4 months of living on savings and sleeping all day with at least one monthlong drinking bender to be ready to look for a new job and then 1-2 weeks of actual jobhunting before I get one.
>>
>>38314958
benefits are pretty sweet here in aus. full time positions get 4 weeks annual leave a year, paid of course.
our healthcare system is great, checkups cost nothing and medication very cheap.

im super foreign to the idea of tipping aswell, thats not a thing here, good service is rewarded with nice comments and even telling their boss if theyre that good. my mate tells me that in USA you have to tip which has some advantages (better service), but i cant wrap my head around it
>>
>>38307318
The first time it took me years, but since then I've gotten every job I applied for.
Once you learn how to market yourself it's easy.
>>
>>38314959
My company does full stack development in staff augmentation and consultation roles for clients using agile teams, basically contract work. We work with business clients, so big companies (some of our clients include Nike, Under Armor, Microsoft) but also smaller local businesses. Staff aug is when businesses take a few of our devs (or sometimes only 1 or 2 depending on the job) and put them on some in-house project they have, usually on an existing team with their in-house devs (this is most common with bigger companies like Nike, who have very large developer teams already). Other times they just hire an entire team from us to work on their project. And then you have consultation, which is when companies ask us to build them an entirely new application or completely redo an existing one. Projects like that are done in-house with our own people only, and the client just has to provide us with business requirements and our devs and analysts do the rest. We are also trying to get into a new area of the industry where we manage services long term, because the downside to contract work is we are always the first to get cut from the budget if they client has a tough fiscal year (that's also the main reason we find so much work, cause companies like having essentially "disposable" dev teams they can cut easily if they have budgeting issues rather than having to hire a lot of devs for a project only to lay them off when their company doesn't do so well next year), but doing managed services makes it harder for them to cut us because they depend on us to maintain the application for them, rather than just building it and handing it off to them to maintain.

So TL;DR I basically work on various business systems for a wide array of companies, Currently doing telemetry data management for a trucking company.
>>
File: apu.png (250KB, 740x557px) Image search: [Google]
apu.png
250KB, 740x557px
>be me, 18
>just finished freshman year of college
>come home to look for jobs
>apply to 15 local internships
>get nothing
>apply to more than 30 local jobs
>nothing

>finally, in mid-June, I get a call from Kroger
>it's for the little Starbucks inside the store
>7.25/hr, but at this point, I've been job searching since the middle of May, so fuck it
>get to grocery office for interview
>have good convo with manager, no spaghetti
>after a while, the manager says:
I'm sorry, Anon, but we just can't take people for the summer. By the time we get you trained, you can only work for two months.

>at this point, I'm mad
>lower my standards significantly and apply for McDick's
>didn't want to work there because there's a girl from my high school that accused me and all my friends of bullying her (we roasted her ass in an in class debate), and she became a manager at the store in my neighborhood
>so I applied to other McCuck's locations
>put in application
>one week, nothing
>realize that I need to "Just go on in and give the manager a firm handshake, son."
>get an interview the next day

>that night, after I get the job
>feel a tremendous pain in my ass
>my pilonidal cyst is back
>for those that don't know, it's a chronic illness where people that have very deep buttcracks (due to genetics) tend to get ingrown hairs on their ass
>leads to tremendously painful infections
>doctor tells me I need to have surgery where they excise a huge portion of my ass to remove the ingrown hair follicles:
This is great, Anon. You'll be healed up just in time for school to start!
>two weeks of bed rest, can't work for that two weeks
>leaving three weeks left in the summer
>every time I want something at the store, my mom says:
We can't do that because of your $8,000 surgery
>any time I want to drive somewhere, or if I leave the shower running for too long, I catch shit about my $8,000 surgery

And that's the story of how a college student made negative eight grand in the summer of 2017
>>
>>38313584
The same reason there's diverse hiring policies.
>>
>>38313584
Top fkn kek m8
>>
>>38315241
Wouldn't you have gotten the infected asshole either way?
>>
>>38308154
Jesus Christ I love this meme
>>
>>38313758

this is true, especially when it comes to entry level jobs. they will only do thorough background checks if you're working in an area that could completely fuck them up

if the job says you are provided training, lie your ass off.
>>
>>38315314
Yeah, I had it once in 2015, and once you've had it, the recurrence rate is almost 100 percent. It's bad luck, but I'm frustrated because I'm stuck in the house all day brooding over what I could have done this summer

I'm a robot in that women want nothing to do with me, but I'm not like most robots in that I constantly have to be doing something. It's really hard for me to do nothing, if that makes sense. Even though I'm living the "perfect NEET lifestyle," I'm miserable because I feel so unproductive

The only thing that I'm really doing this summer is self studying for an IT certification, but I can only do that for so many hours a day.

Most of the pressure comes from the fact that I go to one of the best colleges in the U.S., and all of my friends are posting on Normiebook about how they're saving the orphans in Africa, making several thousand working in Goldman Sachs' NY office, etc. I'm going to come back from break, and people are going to think I'm a lazy fuck

Idk, I feel like my anxiety about this is irrational now that I type all of this out, but I'm still really worried about it. Gotta chill out about this
>>
File: 1486270226397.jpg (148KB, 460x283px) Image search: [Google]
1486270226397.jpg
148KB, 460x283px
>>38315241
>mom rubbing 8k surgery in your face for something you could not help
>>
>>38315022
4 weeks is lavish, I don't know anyone who has that much vacation time. Of course my job doesn't even have "vacation time" anymore, ti's all pooled into PTO, which I actually like since I never used sick leave anyway since I basically never get sick and now all those unused days are available as vacation time for me.
>>
>>38307318
I'm done looking because it's pointless and it's only going to get worse.
>>
>>38315525
Just be honest and explain you were recovering from an operation to remove a serious cyst

>saving the orphans in Africa

That's a rather pointless endeavor.
>>
>>38309797
Where do you find them then?
>>
>>38315651
Under a rock
>>
>>38315595
its accumulative too, so you can just work for years and then take it all off. We also have long service leave - it varies from industry to industry but if you work the same job for 7ishhh years then you get 3 months off, paid.

and if you leave a position without using your annual leave then you get paid that amount. its fucken great mate thats why us aussies are drunk all the time
>>
>how long

If I want a job, I'll turn in a job application and fucking demand it. I've got the know-how or I wouldn't be applying, just give me the damn job and let me work my ass off and make us all a lot of money.
>>
>>38315749
Make someone else richer
>>
>>38307411
I've been NEET for exactly three years.
I just have no motivation to get a job or do anything worthwhile.
I had this feeling because I feel like such a disappointment.
My family stopped asking when I'm getting a job about a year ago too, so it's pretty much like everyone has given up on me.
>>
File: 1498946101161.jpg (73KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1498946101161.jpg
73KB, 960x960px
I've been actively looking since April. Gotten interviews, never hired.
>today
>get a forwarded email from my university advisor
>some employer emailed him desperately asking for anyone for a certain position
>it was a position I interviewed for two weeks ago
>it was from the same person that interviewed me
>>
>>38313865
Follow backs? Job fairs/Convention?
Film yourself giving an interview to something(inanimate) and watch how you act. You may just be seeming extra fake and people can see through that.
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.