[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living in car

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

File: prius.jpg (189KB, 832x624px) Image search: [Google]
prius.jpg
189KB, 832x624px
I'm moving out of my parents' house shortly and going to college. I can't afford rent, so I'll be living in my car. Have any of you done this? Any advice?
>>
>>38268760
Make sure there is a light above your vehicle at night and move lots every other night.
>>
>>38268760
Get a blackout lifted truck and take a pistol and hope the police doesn't get up in ur business
>>
>Limo tint
>park at Walmart where graveyard employees park
>people driving by will just think it's an empty car that belongs to a worker inside
>>
I spent my first year of college living in the back of my pickup truck. It had a shell on the back. I lived simply. Just a gym bag and a blanket.

Park on campus. Search out safe places to park. You don't want a dark area--well lit is what you want. Also, you don't want to be too far from a toilet. I kept a coffee can with lid with me so I didn't have to get out to pee.

Every morning I went to the gym on campus. After my workout I'd shower and go to my classes. I did my laundry in the dorms.

I made friends easily. They would often invite me over for dinner. This really helped keep down costs. Sometimes I'd crash on their couch. NEVER couch-crashed two nights in a row, and never more than once a week. You don't want to wear out your welcome.

I made friends with one of the campus rent a cops. He would let me know ahead of time what areas he was going to patrol. I'd be sure to park in his area.

Don't bother with cooking. You're going to save so much money by not paying for rent and utilities that you can afford to eat out. Friends will also help you out as I've discussed.

I spent a lot time in the campus library studying. Also in the computer lab. This allowed me to make more friends. It also forced me to study a lot. Later when I moved into an apartment with friends that I'd made I didn't study as much.

I highly recommend it. You need to be a bit outgoing though. You have to have a network of friends.
>>
>>38268760
Damn that driver's seat is pulled back. How fucking tall are you?
>>
>>38268760
Yes, don't crash.
>>
File: 1497205199148.jpg (20KB, 419x419px) Image search: [Google]
1497205199148.jpg
20KB, 419x419px
>>38268760
Community centers are good to hang around. If there's not one close enough to you, get a gym membership. Free water bottles, a place to shower, likely free WiFi. Also gives you something to do if you actually want to get fit and kill time when not in class.

Get a PO box unless your parents are going to receive your mail.

Charge your phone during lectures, don't use your car because it'll drain the battery over time and that's money you will not be able to afford.

No valuables within plain view. This is critical. If you have a van this will be easier as there's compartments under the seats to hide stuff in. If someone sees something remotely valuable in there and decides to snoop around and take everything, you are completely and lethally fucked.

Consider a part-time job. If not a part-time job, food stamps.

Some basic stuff off the top of my head:

- Cooler

- Thermal sleeping bag (I don't know your climate so you might be fine with just some blankets)

- Razors if you shave

- Nonperishable foods like canned goods, perhaps some vegetables if you intend on eating them relatively quickly after purchasing

- Water, water, water. Keep at least two gallons in your car at all times.

Find a motel nearby. It doesn't matter if it's good or some shitty roach motel. Park as close to the front office as possible and sleep there. It will have cameras nearby and will also likely be close to the road, making it much less likely that people will fuck with you. Also will usually have a bathroom in the lobby to use. When not sleeping it doesn't matter where you are, nobody will bother you for just hanging out in your car if they don't think you're sleeping there.

Don't waste gas dicking around town. Measure how much you'd be spending in gas by going somewhere and ask yourself if it's really worth it.

Give yourself cheap little stuff to look forward to. Coffee in the mornings, maybe a donut treat or something every other day. It'll help your mood immensely.
>>
>>38269017
some stuff I couldn't fit into that post due to character limit:

If you've got the money to invest, get a second battery and charge it with your alternator. It'll let you charge your laptop/phone/vibrator whenever.

http://vandwellers.org/ is going to be one of the most useful resources you'll have.

Is that your set up in the OP image? What country/state are you in? How much money do you have saved to begin with?
>>
>>38269110
That is not my setup, just a quick google search. I currently have about $2000 in the bank, will have $3500 by the time I move out. I do not own a car right now. Will be living in northern california
>>
File: 1481708339330.png (67KB, 204x208px) Image search: [Google]
1481708339330.png
67KB, 204x208px
>>38269232
>I do not own a car right now
Holy shit what the fuck are you doing dude

If you make the tiniest slip when you get that car it's going to fuck you over massively.
>>
Not OP, but what are some suggestions for staying cool without having to run the AC all the time? I live in Texas and it's hot most of the year, and I'd like to keep the AC use to a minimum to alleviate the stress on my car battery
>>
>>38269323
I don't have much of another option
>>
>>38269341
car ACs aren't powered by electricity. they have their own belt from the engine to run the compressor. the fans are obv electric, so that's the same with or without the AC on.
>>
>>38268760
Get a battery in the car so you can use fridges and shit like that, thats how you can thrive in a car. Also bring medical kits and other shit
>>
Is the parking lot of 24 hour fitness a good place to park overnight?
>>
i knew a guy at uni who got kicked out of his on residence accommodation so lived in his car for 6 months. he showered at the gym he had membership with and would do his classes for the day then sleep under a tree in a shady grassed area for people to hangout in and at night he would drive up this mountain in the center of town light a fire and cook his dinner and look out over the city than go to sleep in his car for then night. his spare time he spent in the library he pretty much got so bored he just study for hours. think it was his best semester in terms of grades.
>>
>>38268940
>park at Walmart
so fucking loud with those machines.

>>38268969
>campus

those have rent a cops that will come over and tell you to fuck off. the dewy windows are very conspicuous
>>
>>38269232
>I do not own a car right now
hahhahahahaha
>>
if you get an old shitty car you are more likey to get fucked with. get the nicest Subaru outback you can afford
>>
>>38268760
>any advice
Nah, but I wish you luck. If you make it through college without a bed to crash in at night you'll be made of tougher steel than your classmates, and I can only hope that means your future will be that much brighter. Prove for all of us how far a person can climb.
>>
I lived in my car for a semester of college, what made it especially difficult for me was that I was enrolled in ROTC at a Senior Military College which means extra bullshit i.e. military uniforms, early morning physical training etc..
>>
File: 1403444676430.jpg (44KB, 569x506px) Image search: [Google]
1403444676430.jpg
44KB, 569x506px
been living in my car for a month now actually. Lots of good advice itt.
you should also invest in a windshield cover, to help block out light at night/keep cool during the day. if you get an suv, a full sized air mattress would likely fit in the back with the seats down. past that, remember that a water cup at mcdonalds only costs 55 cents and with that you can sit inside for a few hours. If theres a campsite nearby, its fairly easy to sneak into those and use the showers there. Its what i do. honestly though anon you would be better off buying a shitty $1000 car and immediately getting into a studio apartment. One more thing, make sure you have a way to keep your phone charged. considering youll basically be homeless, having a phone is really important.

Good luck anon, i hope you arent stuck car living as long as I've been
>>
>>38270530
in my area the cheapest apartments are around 1500 a month and I can't make that much while going to school.

thank you for the advice
>>
>>38268760
live in the woods make the ultimate neet hut
>>
File: 1499573693564.png (31KB, 128x125px) Image search: [Google]
1499573693564.png
31KB, 128x125px
Every single time I have EVER tried sleeping in my car some faggot cop wakes me up and tells me to leave or says "Okay, just checkin'" after asking me a million fucking questions and running my license and plates, it's annoying as fuck. Just let me sleep, I'm in the middle of a long trip you fat fucking faggot.

Cops just sit in the dark in their car waiting for ANY vehicle to stop longer than 30 seconds.

I normally like cops, but holy fuck this is my biggest fucking peeve, just let me fucking sleep holy fucking christ.

"Yes officer"
"Yes officer"
"I'm from [town]"
"Yeah it's far away, here's all of my business why I'm here, and not there"
"Okay"
"Okay"
"You too"

Jesus fucking christ. Every fucking time without fail, holy fucking shit I'm getting so pissed reliving it. It'll happen in a few months again when I stop for a power nap going to/from the city.

The worst part is once they wake me up I can't go back to sleep and just drive off tired as fuck anyway. Fucking pieces of shit. Can't sleep at a Gas Station, can't sleep at a grocery store, can't sleep within 5 miles of a school, can't sleep where there are rich uppity liberals, can't sleep where there is shameless ghetto scum, can't sleep near the woods, can't sleep near the river, CAN'T FUCKING SLEEP.
>>
>>38268760
Get a 24-hour gym membership. It's a shower facility, and you can shave and shit there.
>>
>>38272375
Welcome to the modern world, anyone who doesn't behave just like everyone else is a potential criminal or terrorist.
>>
Usually colleges make you show proof of residence like a lease contract or something.
>>
>>38268760
I've heard putting a car cover over your car makes you a bit less conspicuous, though I think that only applies in residential neighborhoods where someone might actually be parking their car long-term.
>>
Y'all probably already know this, but if you're going to shower at a public gym, for the love of Kek, do not walk around in the locker room in your bare feet. You will become infected with something.
>>
File: DSC00003.jpg (200KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00003.jpg
200KB, 1280x1024px
This was my setup in some sort of ventilation room on the roof of a student housing building.

5 years ago.

Dumpster dived for food, had electricity, pissed in bottles, emptied them in gym toilet. Shat in gym toilet which was just downstairs. Snuck into the student laundry room. Broke WEP passwords with backtrack and stole wifi.

Had to sneak in through a grate and into the basement, or after someone used their door tag on the main entrance, in order to get to my place on the roof, which you entered through a hatch with a retractable ladder. Secured that hatch by dismantling its handle and carrying it around. Good times.

AMA
>>
>>38272375
>I normally like cops
cuck
>>
>>38273131
were there bugs in there? what was the dumpster food like? sounds disgusting
>>
>>38273131
Why aren't you still there? living the drea
>>
File: sangwiches.jpg (61KB, 513x331px) Image search: [Google]
sangwiches.jpg
61KB, 513x331px
>>38273214
0 bugs. Dumpster food was fresh and packaged since this was in a 1st world country. Pic-related is what I ate the most.

I often came back home with 20 pounds of food and drinks - yogurt, cupcakes, chocolates, sandwiches, tv dinners. They came in similar packaging but the food had lots of diversity and it was mostly expensive train food. I was the best-fed student that I knew. Everyone else was living on instant noodles, and so was I before I found this wonderful little spot where I spent half a year during the winter.

>>38273247
I was a student in a foreign country. I finished my studies. Much like this anon >>38268969 I also found that I was excelling in my studies thanks to my situation.
>>
>>38273214
I don't know the details, but those who dumpster dive for food, know the spots for good hauls. It's not like you eat not eaten veggies from some kid's dinner mixed with mom's cigarettes' ash. People dive for like 5 days old yogurts intact or cheese, near the restaurants they go for food that wasn't sold, and often they have a deal to at least put them in separate containers, bags. All the breads from shops and Subway like places goes to thrash too, you just need to know where, when and how to get it.

Maybe
>>
>>38273355
Where did this happen? This is amazing. Just state more about the experience I want to know how this was all pulled off.
>>
>>38273131
>>38273355
Did you lie to your parents about having a place or do you not have family?
>>
>>38273441
This. We had a dumpster diving fakebook group with our very own google maps sweet spots. A group of over 1,000 members IIRC.

>>38273449
Sweden. It worked for me because it's a 1st world country, I was in a big city and lots of stores had lots of clean bins and high standards.

Don't know how it is nowadays with all the reffos there. Must be pretty tight competition. Back in my day I only ever came across other divers twice.

I hit a chocolate factory once and scored 3 boxes full of chocolates. I didn't see anything wrong with them, except they were kind of pale in color. And expensive as fuck because they had alcohol in them.

I got to know a guy who was dumpster diving HP bins, and he was making a living off it from scavenging chargers, monitors and all kinds of hardware. Guy was really smart.
>>
>>38273503
I was a student abroad. My parents knew but I was really happy about my situation back then, for "cheating the system". Not so happy now when I get flashbacks of the shit I had to go through to simply enter my nest and the stress of not knowing whether it will be discovered and have all my shit taken and having nowhere else to live.
>>
File: DSC00005.jpg (163KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00005.jpg
163KB, 1280x1024px
btw because it was raining so often and i had to keep my wifi antenna outside at all times, i had to get creative and put it inside a sandwich box

good times
>>
>>38273610
very aesthetic atticbro
>>
>>38273779
I did live in the basement for a month before that too. That was a shittier experience because there was a one-time patrol at 2 or 3 AM every night which really unnerved me.

The basement consisted of storage cells high to the ceiling. I managed to cut the fence between two of them and covered them up from the inside so no one could tell, then locked them up with padlocks and had to lock pick them on my way in and out of the cages. They were super easy to pick though.
>>
>>38273841
do you have any pictures of that?
>>
>>38273876
I had some but they were stolen from me when I was robbed at gunpoint during my basement stay and relieved of my laptop.

Had I not been robbed, I'd not have made it a lifelong goal to document everything.
>>
File: feelsonwheels.jpg (86KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
feelsonwheels.jpg
86KB, 800x600px
>tfw live in a country where you are allowed to camp basically anywhere

im getting good at /out/ shit then i am checking out of society
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.