[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people become Vegans?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 1409366900568.gif (25KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
1409366900568.gif
25KB, 100x100px
Why do people become Vegans?
>>
I did it to get rid of spots. It actually works
>>
>>38236939
They're faggots.
Orgenalo.
>>
>>38236939
eating meat can lead to heart disease
>>
File: 1495688528706.png (492KB, 800x770px) Image search: [Google]
1495688528706.png
492KB, 800x770px
>>38236939
>Why do people become Vegans?

Animal welfare is fundamentally the most important reason for someone to adopt vegan beliefs, however there are many other benefits a vegan diet and lifestyle may have including environmental and health impacts.

The issue with animal welfare is its the hardest to quantify compared to the other reasons - obviously if the meat and dairy, seafood, and poultry industries were dissapated there would be far less suffering on the planet - but how can you quantify suffering, is this even an important metric to discuss, do people care? The answer is resoundingly no, the strength of social inertia is far stronger than society's desire to eliminate animal products (however this is changing, with products like just mayo or the huge plant based milk market rapidly taking market share of traditional milk or egg based products)

So environmental effects of animal products are the ones I like to discuss when people ask why I adopted a vegan lifestyle. The effects of CAFOs and the milk and dairy industry at large are cut and dry, and anyone looking into them can plainly see polluting they are.
>>
>>38237100
>eating meat can lead to heart disease

also meat is carcinogenic
it's not a coincidence that rising cancer rates in Western countries coincides with increase in meat consumption
I'm not saying it's the only cause but it is definitely a big factor
>>
File: 1498936856229.jpg (36KB, 518x564px) Image search: [Google]
1498936856229.jpg
36KB, 518x564px
>>38237254
Yet I don't understand the reasoning behind standing for Animal Welfare.

The animals you purchase from your local market are already dead, and if you don't purchase it, someone else will.

There's really no way to win. There's no way to stop something as old as man itself.

If anything, you'll have an active back-lash from some of the most powerful people on earth to ensure that more animals are slaughtered.
>>
File: 1496458853067.png (530KB, 546x542px) Image search: [Google]
1496458853067.png
530KB, 546x542px
>>38237696
>The animals you purchase from your local market are already dead, and if you don't purchase it, someone else will.
that's actually the logic most buddhists sects apply to why it's ok to eat meat
works for them works for me
>>
>>38236939
I dated a vegan girl years ago. She claimed she did it for the welfare of the farm animals and because she thought vegan diets were healthier.

She was kind-hearted (and also really hot), but could never get me to convert to veganism. Most I did was not eat animal byproducts when I was with her. I enjoy the taste of animal products too much and I don't care about living to 100 years old.
>>
>>38237696
You still contribute to the demand.
Through a lifetime there's a lot of animals that you won't eat, all of the vegetarians together make a difference in the amount of meat that's produced.

The only real solutions are laws though.
>significantly higher welfare requirements
>more checkups
>extra tax on animal products
>>
>>38237892
They do make a difference, but the animals they save from the slaughter-house simply wouldn't exist in the first place.

Then, it's hard to say whether it's worth existing or not for these animals even if it ends in a quick, pain-less death.

A slight dip in profit really does nothing to stop the meat industry, and large-scale suffering will continue on a global scale.
>>
My best friend is a vegan and for him the main reason is morality(gay as fuck) because the animals suffer. That being said the vegan diet is healthier than the average non vegan diet by a good amount, with certain processed meats being linked to bowel cancer, as well as the fact that the cattle industry is a giant polluter.

All in all it would most likely be better for the world if more people were vegan but most vegan food is shit
>>
>>38236939
Trends and virtue signaling
>>
>>38237892
>>38238114
On top of this, as the population grows, so too does the demand for meat.
>>
>>38238371
significantly higher welfare requirements
>more checkups
>extra tax on animal products

This would remove much of the bad living conditions because they'll need to spend more on that in order to be legal.
They'll just make less but better meat.
Since it'll be more expensive people will eat meat less often and more plant protein.

When there's just less meat the environmental impact will be less too.
>>
>>38238728
There's nothing wrong with welfare requirements, but that's not something slightly decreasing profit via veganism will have much an affect on.

It's better for those people to advocate for change than to quit eating meat products to make a small pock in someone's pocket. This leads me back to my first question; Why become a vegan?
>>
File: 1499370892690.png (259KB, 657x684px) Image search: [Google]
1499370892690.png
259KB, 657x684px
I don't like incentivizing animal farming and slaughter.

>tfw I literally just ate three hotdogs
>>
File: 1472696804533.png (48KB, 219x219px) Image search: [Google]
1472696804533.png
48KB, 219x219px
>>38236939
virtue signalling
>oh my god the animals how would you like it if your dog was eaten like that you wouldn't like it very much checkmate.
>>
>>38238842
Yes I know. The vegetarians and vegans do make a difference in the size of the meat production but my point was that it's not the real answer.
My suggestions is the real solution, not vegans.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.