[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on stoicism?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: 1480866416998.jpg (2MB, 1518x2333px) Image search: [Google]
1480866416998.jpg
2MB, 1518x2333px
Opinions on stoicism?
>>
pretty good shit if you ask me
>>
It doesnt bother me

Muted
>>
>>38208028
My opinion doesn't matter, what is will be.
>>
>>38208028
Not complaining about it
>>
As someone that's quite emotionally turbulent, I don't know if the kind of rational self control stoics practice is actually possible to cultivate if you aren't predisposed to it.

I also don't know what is meant by acting in accordance with nature. No such thing seems to exist in my experience.
>>
>>38208028
Was feeling depressed so I gave this book a read. Got even more depressed so I put it down

>do whatever you're going to die anyway
>don't worry about what someone did to you you will all be dust one day
>>
It's the only way out of this mess. But we can't separate our minds from our flesh,so most of the time it's just an hypocrite answer.
Not an English fag so be kind
>>
>>38208028
I'm only familiar with it on a surface level and didn't read any books about it but unlike for this anon >>38208341
>do whatever you're going to die anyway
>don't worry about what someone did to you you will all be dust one day
thinking like this helped me
>>
Reading "The guide to the good life" got rid of my depression friend. I'm reading moar of the greeks in an attempt to get rid of my new found anxiety.
>>
>>38208293
Nature doesn't exist? I think drawing the line between natural and artificial is hard but reality exists. Our perceptions match up a lot more often than not when put through rigor. There's probably an objective reality to a lot of things. Just think of nature as reality.
>>
>>38209191
What would be an example of living out of accordance with natural law?
>>
Stoicism is practically my religion.

I been doing it all my life I just didn't know it had a word to define it as
>>
>>38209251
Believing in contradictions or other known falsehoods. Adaptation should be simple when presented with a strong case against a current belief.
People who live with contradictory thoughts about themselves and their lives often deal with a lot of pain because they cannot overcome the stress. You can also cause a lot of pain if you don't adapt to the reality of other people and treat them with respect. That's assuming you care about other people which I would hope for.
>>
>>38209311
this video is an interesting stance on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3AMK9efR4I
>>
File: 1431813395056.jpg (61KB, 416x620px) Image search: [Google]
1431813395056.jpg
61KB, 416x620px
>>38209311
Very interesting. This is the kind of thing I need to apply to my own life.
>>
Its the only part of philosophy that isnt stupid
>>
Absurdism is the superior mindset but stoicism is a close second
>>
Books can only help you if you're a failed normie. True autists are forever fucked.
>>
File: IMG_1371.jpg (21KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1371.jpg
21KB, 220x220px
It made me accept the absurdity of life and not get so fucking worked up about shit in the world I can't change. I feel /pol/tards and raging 'redpill's could really learn a thing or two from old uncle Aurelius.

I think I have gifted about 6 copies over the years to friends I think would benefit from it. I advise them to keep it in the shitter and read at least one part a day and think it over.
>>
Reading about it, it seems like it can help you stay objective and focus on accomplishing goals.

It doesn't really offer anything to the aimless though.
>>
Best philosophy there is tbqth
>>
With their belief in virtue and the divinity of nature, aren't stoics making essentially a religious leap of faith?
>>
>>38210654
I personally am not but there is nothing stopping you from being religious and a stoic. It's an outlook or lenses through which to interpret events happening to or around you. Many of the stoics did also believe in the gods and virtue was described as imitating the gods. (Sauce: 'Cicero The Nature of the Gods')
>>
>>38208028
It helps me with my rage attacks.
>>
Idk much about it but I just finished Meditations and am looking forward to reading more stoic lit.

It's probably one of the best philosophies to adopt, though it seems pretty hard. From what I can tell it isn't as simple as staying in bed because the whole worlds going to end sooner or later anyway. It's about doing your duty as a man by being virtuous and living in accordance to nature. If any Stoics could be alive to see how often we indulge and throw tantrums, they'd probably vomit.
>>
Thinking of stoicism helps me keep calm and think things through.
>>
I think that it breaks down when you don't believe in predestination or a higher good but "living a good life" and accepting things as they come isn't bad advice.
>>
>>38212645
>I think it breaks down if you're a retard but--
yeah most things tend to break down if you're stupid not just stoicism
>>
>>38211404
What this guy said.

Last part gave me a good laugh
>>
Ghey af
>>
Should I read Plato and Aristotle before I start the stoics?

Do stoics believe all ones time and energy should be spent working in some fashion? Are activities like art and music considered to be a waste of time by stoics?
>>
>>38212645
>I think that it breaks down when you don't believe in predestination or a higher good

The idea of living a virtuous life just for yourself and others isn't too hard to reconcile with the spiritual aspect, especially if you're already an atheist
>>
File: 1484514541149.jpg (121KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
1484514541149.jpg
121KB, 601x601px
>>38213849
> Marcus aurelius quote
> pic of Caracalla
>>
It's pretty much my religion. Definitely helps me cope in a world full of copy and paste normie tossers.
>>
>>38208028
That shit's retarded shit for cuckolds.
>>
>>38208028
Everyone should read meditations, Marcus Aurelius was the last good emperor.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.