[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Housing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_0105.png (240KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0105.png
240KB, 640x360px
Do most Japanese high school students really live on their own in their own apartment? How does this happen given the economics of Nippon?
>>
it's to re use home settings without having to design extra characters, especially ones that aren't in high school and virgins which will never sell merch
>>
>>38205970
>is anime real life?
>>
>>38205970
If you type the words "do Japanese high" into Google this is literally one of the first auto fill results

answer is sometimes but very rarely
>>
no, it's just a convenient plot device. like the parents being away on work for years. most japanese people live with their parents until they go to college in the big city. and if they don't, they live at home until they get a job or get married. sometimes they never leave.

source: I live in Japan.
>>
>>38206062
I-is anime real?
>>
File: punch03.jpg (177KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
punch03.jpg
177KB, 1366x768px
I know they've got all these customs and shit but seriously why the fuck do they kneel on the floor and just sleep on a mattress on the floor. Is owning furniture un-Japanese or something or do they just hate being comfortable?
>>
>>38206070
>Is owning furniture un-Japanese or something
In as much as living in cramped-ass spaces rather than having multiple rooms dedicated to different purposes is Japanese, yes. Ain't no space for furniture.
>>
File: IMG_0053.gif (368KB, 500x253px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0053.gif
368KB, 500x253px
I've never understood why Japan is so overcrowded. Didn't Burgerland genocide ike fifty trillion during the last war?
>>
>>38206069
no but they're trying.
>>38206070
one room can be used for many purposes this way. it can be a bedroom when you lay out a futon, a living room when you have a floor table, etc. traditionally Japan used tatami mats for flooring so it was not as uncomfortable as wood or some such.
>>
>>38205970
Not most, but some. Good high schools are hard to come by and can require a long commute from one's house. Some students prefer to live closer to the school so they don't have to take the first train there and the last train home every day.
>>
>>38206070
if youre not some fatass with a princess level need for good sleep, a futon does the job just fine and can be easily rolled up to make more space for the room when not asleep. the kneeling thing I assume you become used to over years like how slavs can squat no problem
>>
>>38206126
Japan has a population of 120 million living in an island chain that is mostly mountains (that you cannot live on). everyone gets pushed to coastal areas and clusters up.

that being said the Japanese countryside is nice and sparsely populated. it's also boring as fuck and there are no jobs besides farming which is subsidized by the government.
>>
>>38206070
When your entire living space is on average 20 square meters, having a bed that folds up and out of the way, and not having 4-8 chairs around a table is a necessity of logistics.
>>
>>38206141
Got nothing to do with being a fatass. Once you hit 30 you can fuck up your back all day long from "sleeping the wrong way". Be fucked if I'd sleep on a matress on the floor, I won't even sleep over other peoples houses because it's undignified. The only thing worse than one of those shitty ass mattresses on the floor are fucking air mattresses.
>>
>>38205999
It has nothing to do with that, and not every character in a story is supposed to be turned into merchandise. Not to mention that most stories are conceived as something other than anime, and merchandising usually only happens when an anime adaptation is made.
>>
>>38206183
>I won't even sleep over other peoples houses because it's undignified
spotted the princess
>>
>>38206160
Is that why barely any apartments there have ovens too? Or is that more part of the culture?

>>38206201
Spotted the faggot that sleeps on a matress on the floor.
>>
>>38206155
I can't even imagine how populated Nippon was before the war. The 120 million you mentioned has to be a fraction of those killed.
>>
>>38206215
The U.S. killed 600 genocided 600 million Japos.
>>
>>38206215
dude you realize the war was over 70 years ago and there have been four generations since then? the population of Japan was about 70 million, and the US only had 130 million. there were only 60 million people killed in the entire war, both the Asian and European theaters.
>>
>>38206191
you underestimate the level of background template copying and cliche using by lazy mangaka. like any medium, anime and manga is filled to the brim with uninspired hacks that take any shortcut necessary although I will cut them some slack because of Japan's abhorrent work culture
>>
>>38206215
There were less people before the war than today.

>>38206316
It's extremely dubious that any manga artist would have the protagonist live in an apartment just so they don't have to include one or two extra characters. They could also have the protagonist live at home but explain that the parents are away somewhere. Or just not show them.
>>
Now that we're on the subject of things Japs actually do: do Japs actually just autistically confess their love for each other, or is that just an anime thing?
>>
>>38206210
>Is that why barely any apartments there have ovens too? Or is that more part of the culture?
A bit of both, I suppose. Baking beyond some small clay furnaces never really took off - simmered or pan-fried dishes are much more common than baked ones, and Japan has always been a more rice-centric culture rather than bread. It's only in recent years that bread has begun to become popular in Japan. There are ovens, but they're usually the size of a microwave oven, and oftentimes now function as both.
>>
>>38205970
Very rarely the only way they would is if the parents have money and there's no "good" high schools near them, most will go somewhere local just like in other countries
>>
>>38206370
Japs don't confess love.

Why do you think their population is on a decline
>>
File: 122313412532.jpg (24KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
122313412532.jpg
24KB, 400x386px
>>38206370
>P-P-PLEASE GO OUT WITH ME, SENPAI!
>>
>>38206410
How come I never hear this complaining about all the countries that have birth rates lower than Japan's or equal to them?
>>
>>38206410
As far as i know japanese males are slow as fuck when it comes to confess or when it comes to compromise
>>
>>38206358
>It's extremely dubious that any manga artist would have the protagonist live in an apartment
Doesn't necessarily have to be the protag
>just so they don't have to include one or two extra characters
May not be the sole reason but an easy way to rationalize not having to draw extra complicated shit like actual characters
>They could also have the protagonist live at home but explain that the parents are away somewhere
This is basically the same thing assuming the parents are sending money either way
>Or just not show them
This might be the laziest of all
>>
>>38206370
They do
>it's cute
>>
>>38206439
They go to "spas" instead of bothering with roasties
>>
>>38206410
Confessing love doesn't happen in real life, Japan or not.
>>
>>38206389
I'm in an apartment now without one and Australian "cusine" is mostly make in an oven it's very difficult to find traditonal meals I can cook without one and I hate my Asian room mates constant stench of vegatable oil. Fucker spends 4-8 hours a day in the kitchen to cook 2 bowls of rice with some beans and fucking spinach and a potato or something it's maddening.
>>
>>38206449
Or maybe the real answer is the simplest and most probable of them all: the character lives in an apartment for story reasons.

Being a manga artist is hard work and not something lazy people choose because they want an easy job.
>>
File: PHOTO-6-medium.jpg (94KB, 804x603px) Image search: [Google]
PHOTO-6-medium.jpg
94KB, 804x603px
>>38206210
Culturally, large cuts of meat and baked goods really never necessitated the western oven. Until the postwar era when japan urbanized, cooking over open flame, typically charcoal, sometimes wood, was still the predominant means of cooking rice, meat, soup, curry, frying, etc. With the advent of apartment dwelling it was no longer practical to set aside space for people to cook outdoors.

Practically, with limited space, large appliances like ovens, 4 burner ranges, 50+ cu ft refrigerator/freezers, cabinets, and pantries were impractical. Shopping is typically done daily, buying what's needed to cook for the day, so small refrigerators are used, rice is cooked in rice cookers, single or two burner ranges handle stews and frying, and most interestingly, small pull out grills for fish and small cuts of meat can be built in. You push the drawer back in to cook, and it's essentially a small broiler. As you can see, they easily fit on top of a counter and take up roughly the space of a large sink.
>>
>>38206495
most manga you've read aren't the first or second or third manga by the author and by the point where they're picked up by a popular magazine/webzine they have several assistants and a budget and deadlines to deal with. appealing to tropes is very common and anime/manga characters living on their own developed for several reasons. lewd unsupervised situations are a big contributor but not having to draw extra shit is damn well important too m8 I don't know why you're white knighting manga authors
>>
>>38206584
>I don't know why you're white knighting manga authors
I don't know why you are trying to come up with implausible explanations just so you can put a negative spin on manga.
>>
File: 363473.jpg (33KB, 557x371px) Image search: [Google]
363473.jpg
33KB, 557x371px
>>38206567
That's really quite compact it looks like a camp stove. I could cook on that even though it would be uncomfortable. I'd rather broiled chicken than fried and I mostly eat rice anyway because I'm a poor uni fag. But when I was in Japan for a trip I did notice cooking was a pain without an oven I couldn't make a roast or anything, not that those cuts of meat are prevalent. And cooking up meat and two veg is impractical on only a two burner stove. Most Australian kitchens are larger than entire Japanese apartments. I guess I kinda take it for granted. American stoves are vastly larger than pretty much any stove I've ever seen in Australia. But Australians are much more likely to own large, seperate freezers, whereas Americans aren't. I only like to go shopping once every two weeks or so, and Americans shop monthly for most items and then only shop for meat and vegetables for specific meals.
>>
>>38205970
I've heard from nips that it's common for the parents and especially the father to be distant and non-communicative, but no children live with their parents in most places in the world.
>>
>>38206609
Do you work for Viz Media or some shit? These issues are widely known and criticized fairly on 4chan. These authors really only succeed because of virgin salarymen with no family prospects with disposable income in need of a new escapism fix and long train rides to work/school in the tokyo area so you have literally millions of japs who are fine reading mediocre manga/light novels and playing cashgrab mobage shit
>>
>>38206682
4chan doesn't know anything about Japan. As your own post demonstrates.
>>
File: IMG_0293.png (59KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0293.png
59KB, 2000x1000px
>>38206410
>>38206424
Japanese population decline is a western myth
Notice the delince is always "projected". Always "in the future"
The fact is as the population ages out the younger ones will start having more babies naturally, birth rates are not steady over time. All they have to do is leave Japan alone.
>>
>>38206657
>no children live with their parents in most places in the world.
What are you trying to say?
>>
>>38206750
think he missed a comma
>>38206702
please then enlighten me on why manga features so frequently characters that live on their own or that the parents are on travel unless the plot calls them back home
>>
>>38206707
I thought Asians were good at math?

You basically hit the point of no return there right about 2005. We're 3 years away from 2020 and the dip is very evident. If the replacement rate isn't there, it isn't there. We can very easily plot the projected outcome. Just like we can plot 20 years of Japanese Stagflation, quantitative easing and a steady increase of Debt:GPD ratio. Japan is in dire straights and I think once we get to 2050, you will basically be a non country. Assume Abe doesn't re-militarise and get your asses wiped out by China in an attempt to secure the his rule (when he can't secure himself from shitting his own pants) and deflect attention from the stagflation. Or assume you don't choose to go into panic mode and flood your country with mudshits (increasingly possible)
>>
>>38206778
The author wants to focus on the teenage characters and the parents are not important and might get in the way, so they are written out.
>>
>>38206645
Your meat and veg issue would have been best remedied with a large electric pressure cooker. Multi-function units come with rice ahs slow cook setting as well, freeing up a bit of space, and gets even burgerland quantities of food cooked in under an hour.

Americans that do keep large chest freezers typically keep them in the garage, or alternatively, a second refrigerator/freezer, since our kitchens typically aren't laid out for more than as upright refrigerator/frrezer.
>>
>>38206833
Well a pressure cooker I always think more Irish stew or corned beef. I wouldn't make a roast in one and you sure as fuck can't use it to cook a frozen pizza or pies/sausage rolls etc.

And in my experience during my time I lived in America I rarely saw anyone with large freezers, perhaps due to the stupidly high beef prices. Americans pay roughly twice what Australians do for beef, by my reckoning. I can remember buying a large beef cut from costco for $97 that would cost roughly $40 here. But then again turkey here is expensive af and I can't find a pork tenderloin anywhere.
>>
>>38206795
>point of no return
But that's retarded. The population was 70 million in ~1940 and ~125 million now, but somehow 120 million people is less capable of growing than 70 million?
The fact is the math is based off of assumptions, like birth rates remaining steady over time, and that is just a nonfact. Watch esepcaiily what happens after the generation that grew up in the black market occupation days dies off.
>>
File: japanbirthrate.jpg (51KB, 632x530px) Image search: [Google]
japanbirthrate.jpg
51KB, 632x530px
>>38207093
Yeah but what was the replacement rate then?

>The total fertility rate in Japan fell from 2.75 births per women in 1950-1955 to 2.08 births in
1955-1960. Total fertility remained at the near-replacement level between 1960 and 1975, and it resumed
falling slowly, reaching 1.49 births in 1990-1995. During the same period, the life expectancy at birth, for
both sexes combined, increased markedly from 63.9 years in 1950-1955 to 79.5 years in 1990-1995. The
fertility decline and the increase of life expectancy in Japan brought about an increase in the proportion of
the elderly. In 1995, the retired-age population (65 years old and over) represented 14.6 per cent of the
total population, as compared to only 4.9 per cent in 1950. The ratio of the working-age population (15-64
years old) to the retired-age population increased from 11.0 in 1920 to 12.2 in 1950. It decreased rapidly
after, to 4.8 in 1995. The notable increase in the median age of the population, from 22.3 years old in
1950 to 39.7 years old in 1995, is also indicative of the rapid demographic ageing that has taken place in

http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/migration/japan.pdf

So even at 1.49 you were below replacement rate. What is it at now?

Oh 1.42. So that's well below the 2.1 you need just to maintain your population.
>>
File: birthdeath.jpg (52KB, 631x287px) Image search: [Google]
birthdeath.jpg
52KB, 631x287px
>>38207190
This is where it gets really bad. I'm looking for a legit source I saw on /pol/ which said 65% of Japanese millennials aren't having sex. Even a -0.19% rate is pretty catastrophic. With figures like that the projections are accurate. And I'm sorry, you can't really fault math as being Western bias. If that's the figures we've got from the census (I assume Japanese are very efficient and methodical about such things) then it's easy to project population. You can easily say "Well the old will die, and then they'll have more babies". But they aren't. Japanese women aren't interested in traditional relationships and are going to host bars for company and just skipping sex altogher, while men choose to become otaku or pay for cuddle services. They aren't even fucking hookers and THAT information is pretty readily available from the Yakuza.
>>
>>38207190
You are such a brainwashed tool. Don't every link UN propaganda garbage to a post of mine again. human women can have healthy kids between ages 14 and 39, there are millions of women capable of having more kids at any time. Look at other countries already in another part of this cycle and see you've been lied to with selective facts to distort japanese culture with immigration. You can also check historical data for countries besides just 1940to now trends.
>>
>>38206370
No. Saying "I love you" in Japanese is literally so dramatic it's considered words to be saved if you're deathly ill or something equally grave.
>>
>>38207093
Because most of that 120 million is old as fuck.
>>
Who are gonna make perfect cuties with small bodies, huge titties, and adorable hair and eyes when all the japs are gone?
>>
>>38206458
Or become herbivore men.
>>
>>38206465
THIS is what pushed St. Elliot over the edge.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.