[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Law School

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: 31082FE_DA_120725_law-school.jpg (116KB, 425x283px) Image search: [Google]
31082FE_DA_120725_law-school.jpg
116KB, 425x283px
Any law students here?

Im about to finish up my undergrad in journalism and criminal science, since I wanted to be a reporter, but I am having doubt. Considering law school. Any thoughts or advice?
>>
>>38156033
Going to law school would mean that you'd at least have a chance at a job.
>>
>>38156079
Thats the hope, at worst it could help my journalism career as a legal analyst.
>>
The only reason you go to law school is so you can 1up most of the human population
>>
>>38156033
Ya i'm a lawyer. What kind of questions do you have that haven't been answered a million times on reddit?
>>
>>38156138
>Ya i'm a lawyer. What kind of questions do you have that haven't been answered a million times on reddit?
How much money do you make? How big is your penis?
>>
If you're seriously considering law school try shadowing a local attorney. Or take a gap year to save money and work in the field you want a law career to see if it's what you really want to pursue. Nobody should take on 3 years of school and a huge pile of debt for a career they're not sure they want.
>>
>>38156150
85K, 9 inch
>>
>>38156138
GPA, LSAT score, where did you go? What law do you practice? was it worth it? would you recommend it? does a robot personality work better for law over other professions?
>>
>>38156152
have done three internships with a local attorney, they are what got me thinking about this
>>
>>38156190
undergrad GPA was 3.80, LSAT was 159. I went to a top 50 school. I work in the government now.
Was it worth it? I love being an attorney. Do I recommend it? It's not for everybody. It all depends on what your goals are and if your law school can get you there. Law for robots? Nope. Your grades are 90% of getting you a shot at a job, but if you act like a person that normies don't want to hang around, you're not getting an offer.
>>
>>38156336
Ok, so my interest is criminal law. I have a 3.3 gpa and my lsat prep exams project a 150 something score. Im not a total robot (i have tendancies but this board would call me a normie) so Im still unsure. Do grades in undergrad or law school count more towards a job? Lets say I want to join a disteract attorneys office
>>
>>38156470
Undergrad grades count towards what law school you go to. Law school grades count towards what job. You got some weak stats so you're looking at lower rank schools, but if you want to be a DA, that isn't going to stop you. Go to law school where you want to live and intern at the DA office near by. DAs pretty much hire exclusively from their interns, though you're going to have a harder time if you aim form a major city. Most DAs work in a office of 2-10 people, go before one or two judges, and make between 40-60k a year.
>>
>>38157175
Yeah, Ive been in contact with the schools where I match up and they said so long as i keep above a 3.0 and make a 150 on the LSAT ill get in. My summer grades will help improve, and after next semester ( my easiest semster by far, since I will be just filling hours) I should be around a 3.5. And Im looking at U of Houston as my main choice, if that helps.
>>
File: 1484001120526.jpg (12KB, 261x238px) Image search: [Google]
1484001120526.jpg
12KB, 261x238px
Is it possible to get into law school if I have a low undergrad GPA?
>>
>>38156033
After undergrad, I took two years off, and spent it in the real world working a prelaw-type job (patent examiner).

Before taking on $100k in debt for a degree you might hate, I strongly recommend taking some time off.
>>
A 3.5 is a decent GPA. You got a lot of room to improve on your LSAT and the time to do it. Don't feel like it's a test you need to take only once. I don't know anything really about UofH. If that is where you want to live and work then aim for there. Bumping up your stats will also help your scholarship package when you get there.
>>
>>38157488
Law schools look at two things, your GPA and LSAT. If you have a poor GPA, you need a killer LSAT.
>>
File: 1488899081112.jpg (59KB, 377x561px) Image search: [Google]
1488899081112.jpg
59KB, 377x561px
> Americans need a Bachelors degree to start studying Law

I will never fully understand this one desu
>>
>>38157694
Yeah I plan to take it twice, since thats what youre allowed. Id like to be in Houston for at least a few years.

Im also looking at American U in DC, but its too expensive for me realistically.
>>
>>38157504
Im in a nice position where I wont have a whole ton of debt (close to none, maybe none at all) depending on where I go. But what job would you recommend taking/how much time? I fucked up and majored in something where all I can do is journalism really.
>>
>>38158007
You can take the LSAT as many times as you want. It's a myth that schools will look down on several LSATs. All they care about is you last one because that is what is going to factor into the school's ranking. It's my opinion that you're better off going to a lower ranked school for less money than going to a higher rank school and taking out more loans. Just keep in mind that you will probably take out 60K in loans just for living.
>>
>>38158226
I thought you were allowed twice in a three year period? IDK thats what my current prep book says.

And yeah, Ill be going to a T2 school, but like I said as long as its a public state one (UH, Tech, A&M) I wont be taking on a lot of debt, I got lucky where I will have no undergrad debt (I actually made money going to my undergrad)
>>
>>38158305
That's true, but that two time limit is supposed to be lifted sometime this year.
>>
>>38158391
Oh interesting, that would help me a ton. I was gonna do september and feburary, but if I can do it alot, that woud be awesome. I had above average sat and act, but took each three times and ended up with a 2000 somethign and 33 by the third time. Once I know what I am doing I nail it.
>>
>>38157735

You pretty much need a masters to practice law anywhere in the world.
There is no point doing law in undergrad unless you go to a top uni.
>>
File: 1492818317828.jpg (801KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1492818317828.jpg
801KB, 1462x1462px
>going to a law school if it's not a top 14

you are making a HUGE mistake.

xoxohth.com
>>
>>38158723
I mean if my ambitions end at like, city DA or legal analyst for a news company, is not going t14 the end of the world? Like if I get into a top 50 with almost no debt, worth it?
>>
What happens to people who aren't in T14? Do they have a chance at making six figures or do they indeed make over six figures? If so, it seems there is no competition in law and not going to a T14 isn't a big deal. Is that why dumbasses are going to subpar law schools? Is there a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

By contrast, if you do get into T14, does that mean you're set for life?
>>
>>38160467
Not an expert, Im OP actually, but my advisor told me that really, depending on what you do, where you go doesnt matter beyond the first job. Just end up at a top half, ABA accredited law school, and if you dont suck ass at your job, you end up being ok, and can climb the record.

One of my states supreme court justices went to an ass law school, and now decides a lot of state laws and shit.
>>
>>38156033
If you don't get into a top 15 law school don't bother going
There's a massive glut of law school grads due to automation wiping out the law field
>>
law school is a cop out
no prereqs required, easy fucking test

all the dumbasses go to law school and can't even name 2 presidents or name one political theorist. they think plato is pluto.

i hate law students fr
>>
>>38160588
automation affects every field you fucking retard
can you stop saying HAHA ROBOTS REPLACE
like bitch add something valuable to the discussion.
>>
>>38160618
So yeah, sure some dipshits dont take it seriously but if I take it seriously and actually give a shit, is it worth it in your eyes?
>>
>>38156033
I only have relevant info if you're Canadian (unless it's similar).

You have to stand the fuck out during law school in order to get a good articling position after. It's like a job application but mandatory to practice law. So don't do it if you think it's a free path. You also need to be good while you're articling to get hired back. Tons of firms just rotate through students and barely hire anyone back. The bigger firms are better, but again you need to be amazing in law school to get a spot there. You also need to have gone to a good school.

This is all coming from my older brother and his close friends. He had a hard as fuck time getting a position after and eventually got one at a smaller firm he need to impress to be hired back. His friends went to a good school and killed it (like top 5% or some shit), got positions at the biggest firms in Toronto, and are now all hired back. Not a law student myself so can't comment on the actual experience much. AMA about what he's told me though.
>>
>>38160688
Im American, so theres that, but thanks for your advice.

The only reason my GPA is 3.6+ right now is I had a bad semester when I was a pledge, so I made a 2.25. Since then Ive made the deans list all but one semester, and thats in a pretty hard major.

Im not gonna get into a top elite school, but the schools I am a fit for are great about hiring alumni, and Im pretty set on goverment work (prosecutor).

Im just between this or journalism so I wanted input.
>>
>>38160831
In our country it could be worse because we have too many law students. It's the same thing in med school. If it looks like the schools are good for hiring alumni you're probably fine.

Law is cool. There are lots of different types of law you can do. You like journalism so you are probably fine with the research grind (a lot of law is that). Law is a lot of paperwork, emailing people, drafting letters, and researching. The rest is the cool stuff like going to court for motions/trials etc. and you can make a difference .
>>
>>38160909
Dude research is my jam. I have three semsters of grad level research under my belt, and not to brag but I am a good journalist. Ive had work featured on CNN, Fox, WashPo, Houston Chronicle, and KBTX. I also work for Thomson Reuters as a stringer, won an award for my event coverage, and got named an editor for a top USA college paper this last semester, so Im good at all that. Writing and drafting is my forte.

I want to do law to make a difference. Im sorry it seems so bad in Canada.
>>
>>38161103
Sounds up your alley then. I guess the other main quality you need is really good social skills. Not just bringing that up because we're on /r9k/ but because it's an "above and beyond" thing. You need to be top tier in that regard I think. You can probably make it on work ethic/skills alone but it seems like there is a real requirement from an actual law perspective to be able to connect with people and debate with people.
>>
>>38161199
Im not total shit with people, like I said this board would call me a normie and crucify me. Im just bad with women when in a romantic mind set, otherwise Im good with sources, talking to people, the like. I was able to sweat out a student senator over a big story we had, so I can grill people. Debate will likely take work, but I feel like I have the work ethic to do it
>>
>>38161372
Sounds like a good fit to me then man. I'm sort of the same with being fine with people aside from romantic settings. I say fuck it have a badass and rewarding career. I'm in med school and I love the challenge. Nice trading (You's), best of luck.
>>
>>38161506
Likewise dude, best of luck!
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.