[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

University Admissions

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: lemoninspection.jpg (193KB, 655x900px) Image search: [Google]
lemoninspection.jpg
193KB, 655x900px
I am 18 years old and starting my senior year of high school next fall and I plan on applying to some high level universities, however I had one really shitty semester back in my sophomore year and it brought my cumulative GPA down considerably. Now I did very well on my SAT and I've taken several AP courses (more than most universities prefer), however I was curious if Universities may consider excluding that semester when considering be for admission. Anyone have any idea?
>>
Why don't you just google it or talk to a guidance counsellor, you literal child?
>>
>>38142255
hmm why don't you try communitary college, it's free
>>
>>38142291
Google didn't yield any results and my guidance counselor is some 26 year old qt, she intimidates me
>>
>>38142255

What were your SAT and ACT scores?
What AP classes did you take? How did you do on the tests.

How is your GPA, and how bbad was it in the shitty semester.

How "rigorous" is your high school considered in terms of grading?

We really need more info to make a decision.
>>
>>38142402
>SAT
1390 combined (this with the "new" SAT)
>ACT
Mostly in the low 30's
>GPA
Currently sitting at a 3.71, I got a 2.45 my first semester of of sophomore year
>AP classes
I'll just list them; Human Geography, Physics 1, Physics 2, Calc, Stats, Gov, Lang/Comp, Lit/Comp, Comp Sci., Art history, and Spanish.
Dunno how "rigorous" my school is though.
>>
>>38142553
Did you take the AP tests as well, or just the classes? How did you do on the tests?

If you don't take (and score well on) the AP tests, the AP classes are pretty much worthless.
>>
>>38142255
Sophomore year is the most important year for highschool along with junior year. And how did you score on the SAT?
>>
>>38142602
Didn't score below a 3 on any of them
>>38142660
Junior year actually went very well and see >>38142553
>>
OP universities in general do not have much faith in high school graduates. That's why their standards for them are so high, because even if a kid has 4.0 in high school it usually doesn't mean anything once they're in college because public education standards are rock bottom. It's very hard for them to vet applicants right out of high school because of this, and it's why they have to offer so many remedial courses (that are no longer even called remedial because so many of their freshmen students require them).

My advice to you is this: go to community college for 2 years then transfer to the school you want to go to. This is advantageous for 2 reasons.

1. it's much, MUCH, cheaper. Community college costs a fraction of normal university, you will spend maybe 1/3 or even 1/4 as much on your college education total if you do your first 2 years at community college. Because the first 2 years is mostly just foundational courses, general education stuff not specific to your major, and most of those credits are easily transferable to other schools. Getting them out of the way at a cheap community college is the best option really.

2. it's also much easier to transfer to a prestigious school from another college than it is to successfully apply as a kid fresh out of high school. Even if it's a lowly community college, if you submit an application as a transfer student with 2 years' worth of college credit and an Associate's Degree under your belt you will fly through the doorway. Because that's basically proof that you know what you're doing and aren't a waste of time for the institution to admit.

The key though is making sure the 2 year school you pick is able to transfer credit to the 4 year school you want to go to eventually. You don't want to be 1 year into your Associate's Degree only to find out most of your credits won't transfer. This is why meeting with your academic advisor regularly is important. Meet them early, meet them often, every term.
>>
>>38142861
while community is a viable and cost effective choice its not for everyone.

its cheap for a reason. the classes are incredibly easy, and while this seems great at first it gets dull very fast. your classmates will be borderline retarded. your professors wont care about their jobs. you pay for what you get. the upside is you can go to a high tier university right after.

tho, your gpa/test scores aren't too bad actually. you could get into pretty much all of the high tier cal states, which are actually decent (csu fullerton and csu long beach).

chapman university would be right up your alley with the stats u have.

if u wanna reach, try uci, uc san diego, and davis. average gpa in these places is around 4.0-4.3, so it is above urs but if u take one more act and get a 33 or even a 34 it should help you out. nyu is one with similar stats.

i only know a lot about the california area but any state school with an acceptance rate lower than 50% will do. you wouldnt wanna go to a school where its harder to get rejected than it is to be accepted. that would be embarrassing.
>>
>>38142255
You should leave this board you fucking kid.This board is made for neets and wageslaves suffering with their shit life.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.