[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey robots, ever heard of "xkcd"?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: forgetting.png (11KB, 205x210px) Image search: [Google]
forgetting.png
11KB, 205x210px
I found this new web comic called "xkcd." It seems like it might appeal to some of you anons.

I like it so much I'm actually thinking of setting up a chaweb image-community devoted to it. And to weed out the autism, I'm going to have this rule that you can't post the same thing twice.

Thoughts?
>>
It honestly amazes me that xkcd has kept most (but not all) of it's smugness the original community was known for. In this era, with the fedora meme and everyone hating "intellectuals" it amazes me that these guys can be as smug as they are and receive no criticism for it.
>>
>>38053398

I mean, Randall is literally a rocket scientist, and makes comics for himself, and most of the people on the forums are the sort of people who still use forums.

I feel like part of it is the fact that 'smugness' comes from the fact that the comics deal with complex things without pointing out that they are, which isn't as pretentious.
>>
its made for pretentious tumblr users
>>
>>38053355
>I found this new web comic called "xkcd."
god I know its bait but i hate you so fucking much.
>>
people tolerate it because it's a long running thing. nobody's going to judge it using modern sensibilities. speaking of modern sensibilities, anything authentic, passionate, emotional or enthusiastic is either 'cringe' or 'edgy' now.
>>
>>38054433
The irony is that rocket science is pretty low on the list of fields that require you to be super smart.
>>
File: xkcd.jpg (278KB, 581x1598px) Image search: [Google]
xkcd.jpg
278KB, 581x1598px
>>38054433
The comics are very low effort in both art and entertainment. Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal does a similar thing as xkcd, but without being a smug and pretentious ass about it.

What I really hate about xkcd is that most of the strips don't have anything to say. They're mostly just empty observations stated with smug attitude.

Here's a typical xkcd strip pulled straight out of my ass:
>stickman: hey, what are you doing with my computer?
>devil: I'm installing gentoo
>stickman: but why?
>devil: I want you to be stuck on computer all day, tweaking things you didn't even know you wanted to tweak
>stickman: but that's already what I do all day on my computer
>devil: hmm, is that so? hold on, let me try something else then...
>stickman: just let me on the computer!
>devil: just a moment, let me tweak few thing first..
>>
>>38054433

>and most of the people on the forums are the sort of people who still use forums

The sort of people who still use forums are fedora tippers though. But that also applies to before the current era too, although not as much. Even back in the say, forums were always hubs for neckbeards to congregate and brag about how smart and awesome they allegedly were.

>I feel like part of it is the fact that 'smugness' comes from the fact that the comics deal with complex things without pointing out that they are, which isn't as pretentious

They also frequently comment on political matters with a condescending leftist tone and again I wonder why they aren't criticized for it.
>>
>>38055221
>The comics are very low effort in both art and entertainment. Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal does a similar thing as xkcd, but without being a smug and pretentious ass about it.
exactly this
SMBC treats its academic material with charm and cleverness, but randall "im a sad lonely nerd please buy my merch" munroe's humor is completely lost in how much of a navel-gazing sperg he can be
coincidentally, the only people who like XKCD tend to be other navel-gazing spergs
>>
I thought I was the only one who dislikes xkcd. One of my least favorite parts about being a programmer is people sending me unfunny pretentious stickman comics and having to pretend to be amused
>>
>>38056081
that *does* sound pretty bad
>>
File: 1472663383999.png (563KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
1472663383999.png
563KB, 569x802px
>>38054433
>Randall is literally a rocket scientist
After he got his B.S., he worked at NASA for less than a year (they didn't renew his contract) before becoming a webcomic "artist". This was in '06. He's not some full-time scientist or PhD recipient.
>>
>>38056081
>people actually send that shit in a professional setting

top cringe
>>
It's Reddit-tier humour. Some of them can be slightly interesting but they are ruined by the smug condescension and bad jokes.
>>
File: 1442745988023.png (91KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1442745988023.png
91KB, 800x600px
>>38053355
originallygg
>>
>>38056081
Same here; I always thought the "my college major is better than yours" threads that you see around here were something that only people who are still in college give a shit about, but people passing around navel-gazing "programmer humor" snippets and comics combined with harboring irrational contempt for liberal arts majors shows me that people never let that go even after they graduate
>>
XKCD can be good, but its hit or miss
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.