[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are psychologists a meme? Is my psychologist incompetent?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: S. White 02.jpg (19KB, 387x351px) Image search: [Google]
S. White 02.jpg
19KB, 387x351px
I now have been to my psychologist about 12 times more or less in the last 2 monts+. I think this shit won't give me anything.
For the last 11 times, it looked pretty much like this: She would ask me questions, about my past, about what I feel, my problems, and it kinda looked like she wanted my to talk about it thinking this alone will help me.
Sometimes she would draw conclusions, but in my mind I was always like "nooo really? I would have never guessed /sarcasm".
So yesterday I asked her, where are we going with all of this... she asked me what I want in the end, well I said to get better at least a little bit to have just any slight of energy to live and get off my ass.
So she started to push the "don't look at the bad sides of your life, look at the positives" type of shit.
I kept telling her that it's too hard for me, because there was waaaaay more bad shit in my life than the good stuff (no joking, it's about 95 bad : 5 good), but still her mindset was "well, but at least there was something good".
So what the hell is it? Is this the best psychologists can do? If so, then I don't need her, I can tell myself how shitty my life was and talk about it alone, I have drawn the same conclusions myself, the "look at the bright side of life" BS doesn't work for me...
I tried taking antidepressants (2 types of them) and they only made me feel worse, and I am ATM too weak physically to take the side effects, that may or may not disappear, and the drug may or may not help me.
I think psychologists only work for people with slight problems, when the depressions kicks in, when there is still hope, when their lifes were not as miserable as my was.

What do?

tl;dr - My psychologists doesn't help me at all, she only wants me to speak about my problem, makes conclusions that I already made and pushes "look at the good side of life" while most of my life (95%) was shit and it doesn't work. Are psychologists just a meme?
>>
tl;dr but yes they are dumbasses. just look at the people studying to be psychologists in college, it's all the dumb roasties
>>
Talk to me instead. I'm probably way cheaper than that bimbo.
>>
>>38036573
OP. Lol can't disagree. I dated a woman that happened to be studying psychology yesterday as well. She is a roastie.
Drinks, parties, all this roastie stuff. When she approached me she was talking on her phone for 10 more minutes.
2 minutes later she started talking to some random friend-guy she saw then and it felt so long that I was like "fuck it" and went home.
>>
>>38036782
get the fuck off. why are you even here?
>>
File: 1498495715300.jpg (424KB, 1584x957px) Image search: [Google]
1498495715300.jpg
424KB, 1584x957px
>>38036897
According to pic related I am a cyborg with a really low score. Pretty close to being a robot. I belong here.
>>
File: systemcheck.jpg (10KB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
systemcheck.jpg
10KB, 234x250px
>>38036916
>Physical: 11
>Mental: 0
>Social: 5
>Accomplishments: 12
>Bonus: 6
>TOTAL: 34
I guess it could be worse.
>>
my psychologist talks to me about video games and movies and he helped me get on neetbux
>>
>>38036916
Isn't this a super original comment?
>>
OP, not all psychologists are going to work perfectly. You can talk to her about what you think is happening and ask for a different approach to be taken with you or try to find out why she's going about things the way she is. It might be better to just see another psychologist too, ask your physician for one that specializes in people in your situation. Believe it or not being a """robot""" isn't super uncommon, it's mostly just about feeling lost.
>>
>>38037008
>34
fuck off normie, I got 33
>>
>>38037093
LOOK OUT CHADLAND HERE I COME
>>
There are good ones out there. It also complicates things that different people need different kinds of therapists. For me, the best sort of therapist is a person who is a good listener but also great at debate. You want someone who can argue with your way of thinking and teach you how to combat your own negative thought processes.

One of the best therapist I ever had was a lady with a social work degree and didn't even have a psychology degree. She was just very understanding and great at asking the right questions while coming off as genuinely willing to help.

It is unfortunate that the field is full of people who chose the degree in undergrad because they felt it was less dry than science/mathematics but still weren't capable of being creative enough for the arts. I've had therapists who eye the clock the entire session while trying to bullshit their way out of the hour saying half-cocked aphorisms and showing no actual understanding of anything.

You need to learn to be more selective of your therapists which I understand is unhelpful for your mental condition. It's a shame psychology is in such a low state as it is today when even Isaac Asimov considered it a potentially great field as evident in the Foundation books. Here's to hoping it can improve.
>>
>>38036536
>>38036536

read everything from http://thelastpsychiatrist.com, you'll get obscure memes for life and really insightful shit. of course, he's a psychiatrist. as for most psychologists sucking, yeah. textbook psychology has some quite interesting constructions, especially when it's about real conditions like derealization, but therapists are pretty useless since half of the time they don't listen to you, or you do all the talking, then they can't remember shit and they all have the dumbest kind of normie worldview you can get.

I wen to one and was like "yeah I like being alone" and all I got was "but being alone is bad anon", then I tried to explain how I think dissociation can be used as a really helpful life device to stay sane and why being alone felt so great for me. complete incomprehension, then you get some bullshit about "lel you do it because you never developed some ur-trust to people through your mother", as if it was a given that people could be trusted and one should develop that. Also consider what an abrasive and insulting thought that is: trusting all people and thinking it's good just because of your whore mother. apparently, psychologists just don't have these kind of thoughts.

thinking of getting a different one since I don't pay for it, but then I have dumb down everything to 40 minute sessions from the beginning again, how can you accomplish anything in that timeframe?

if all else fails tell him what he wants to hear and use him to get every advantage you can get, references to real psychiatrists without waiting for months, neetbux, attests etc

was just reading some article in a magazine about derealization, it's quite funny how psychologists and normies all phrase in terms of "their suffering", when the condition is in fact neutral. some people might even enjoy it, but somehow this is not an acceptable thought to be expressed in the jew media
>>
My psychologist wants me to go outside with her, like every single meeting is in some cafe or some bullshit. She thinks I'll get better if I get more human contact. She also thinks I've some neuropsychiatric disorder, but psychiatrist thinks I'm just psychotic or paranoid. I've no idea what the fuck they're doing anymore
>>
>>38036536

Come to my thread and speak to me. We'll very quickly see if you need another therapist.

>>38035776
>>
I've been to four and felt the first three just looked at me as billable hours. The fourth one I did this:

1 - figured out what I wanted out of therapy.
2 - figured out when I wanted to see progress
3 - shared both with my therapist
4 - agreed to some changes but ended up with a final list of goals and dates
5 - worked against those lists. every month I'd look at the list and see if we were on track

About 10 months later I went in to her office, pulled out the list and went over it with her. Had met each goal, felt better about myself, said thanks and never went back to her.
>>
>>38036536
Always look on the bright side of life, OP.
>>
>>38037247

(Or I can stick around, anything is possible.)
>>
>>38036536
CBT works by getting you to cut yourself some slack. I dunno if we're in similar situations but I also hated the whole "Think Positive!" shite. I did however end up eating my own words when my counsellor asked me if I'd judge someone else as harshly as I judged myself. I remember because I opened my mouth to argue and I just sat there without a comeback. Looking on the bright side of life and making positive changes are cliches for a reason, they contain a grain of truth. All that being said I'm not a psychologist and I don't know your issues, disregard all my advice.
>>
OP, if you're around, make a list of your symptoms and what you think might be the cause.
>>
>>38037071
Yeah. Not all psychologists are gonna be effective for you OP, but it seems that there is a benefit in talking to a psychologist compared to talking to friends. If you don't have any friends, well there you go.

That said, at some point in my life I had some very bad psychotic episode, and...
>end up believing I was an alien-angel
>end up believing I could empathize with plants
>end up believing I was being persecuted by some aliens, but protected by others
>end up believing all sorts of other strange things
>the delusions continued for months after the psychosis
>my parents, obviously concerned, force me to see a psychologist
>be referred to a psychologist
>begin the conversation with the psychologist telling him that my parents are forcing me to be there
>we talk about all these beliefs of mine that I know are uncommon in people, focused on how they affect my daily life, both at work and in the things I do in my free time
>at work and in public I keep my unusual beliefs hidden dot jay pee gee
>the psychologist at the end of the session tells me there's nothing much to be concerned about, and that if I don't want to change there's not much of a reason to forcefully seek change

To this day I don't know if his decision not to even recommend continued psychological treatment was a good thing or a bad thing, but I liked the psychologist at least didn't have the usual normie thinking that delusions are inherently very bad.

The delusions wore off in less than a year anyway. I returned to atheism but I did end up appreciating religion. It was enjoyable to do some "holy singing" towards God every morning, and I found that in retrospect religion had been excellent to cope with lots of things in life for me.
>>
>>38037393
>To this day I don't know if his decision not to even recommend continued psychological treatment was a good thing or a bad thing,

It was shit. Look up schizotypal disorder.
>>
>>38037247
>>38037247
>>38037330

I already posted there as "Guy".

5v72yn8rv723tg6n3c7923g
>>
>>38037443
I had received a bipolar I diagnosis from a psychiatrist before seeing the psychologist, and was (and still am) on medication with a mood stabilizer. I think the bipolar I disorder diagnosis is more accurate than schizotypal disorder (at least as I'm seeing it described on Wikipedia).
>>
>>38037520

The beliefs you had/have don't match well with bipolarity. It doesn't sound like the beliefs people have when experiencing mania.

How long are your cycles and are they triggered by precise events?
>>
>>38036536
Female therapists are pure meme.

Most male therapists or psycologists or whtvr are meme too.

This whole department is pretty much catered and made for women, women and men are not the same so you will most likely be wasting money retarded women logic
>>
>go to psych as a teen
>tell her how my mom would guilt trip me over stupid shit
>psych said my poor behavior is what made mom yell at me so much
>wat
>i always did my chores and homework, got good marks in school, was polite, but whenever i wanted privacy or to do something alone mom would start up at me
>psych said i have control issues because i want alone time
psychology is a fuckin joke
>>
>>38037653
>male going to female psych
lul, how did you not realize the issue with this
>>
>>38037557
>How long are your cycles
Impossible to say, as the medication seems to have worked wonderfully since early on, so I don't experience cycles at all. Except for a couple minor relapses, I've been pretty much normal.

For what is worth the article on schizotypal disorder doesn't say anything about rapid unstoppable speech, having grandiose ideas for personal projects or lacking sleep (because of all the energy), but the article on bipolar disorder does (and all three were true of me).

>and are they triggered by precise events?
No. The first (very bad) episode, and the relapses after it, were spaced out in time and seemed to have had no particular trigger.
>>
>>38037805
OP here. THIS is not me posting. Thank you whoever came to my thread and created confusion!
>>
>>38037829
nice try, but I am OP
>>
>>38037653
>psychology is a fuckin joke

It's not, but some psychologists are themselves severely mentally ill and use their positions. The one you had is an obvious example.

You were unlucky enough to see a predator. She had no right to say this without knowing you very well, and even then, not like that.
>>
>>38037829
OP I addressed you in my first post here, and then proceeded to tell my story. I thought there would be no confusion.
>>
>>38037686

Mine is female.

>>38037805
>For what is worth the article on schizotypal disorder doesn't say anything about rapid unstoppable speech, having grandiose ideas for personal projects or lacking sleep (because of all the energy), but the article on bipolar disorder does (and all three were true of me).

OK, I hadn't seen those in your list. But if it checks out, then definitely this.
>>
>>38037842
Shut the fuck up. Don't piss me off. My depression causes me to be pissed off all the time enough. Don't put more oil in the fire.
>>
>>38037911

911 trips, use a tripcode. It helps a lot. You can do it in my thread, all regulars use a trip to avoid trolling.

Be back later.
>>
>>38036536
For most people therapy alone won't do shit. Therapy with drugs on the other hand can actually be a huge help. Start trying different antidepressants, and if those don't work talk to her about an MDMA assisted session or smoke weed everyday until the dank herb gives you the motivation to not be a total sad sack.
>>
>>38036916
121 score.. Not female.
>>
Jesus fucking christ I hate you faggots. All you retards want to do is pretend to be me and be like "HURHURHUR AREN'T I FUNNY", you're not funny you jackass. Fuck this board. I'm so depressed I want to kill myself. FML
>>
>>38038073
Very funny -.- your life must be very miserable if you have to confuse people on the internet.

v36yb38579345t3ev375
>>
>>38038073
>>38038085
>FML
>-.-

I don't know which of you is the bigger faggot
>>
>>38036536
Maybe tell her that instead of bitching about it on an anonymous image board. It's not gonna get better if you don't confront her.
>>
>>38038103
The one that is not me, because he has nothing better to do than to act as somebody else.
>>
>>38037132
>Bringing Issac Asimov into the conversation about selecting a therapist.
goddam, 4chan can be a funny place.

I accept your point about the state of psychology though. It is true that psychology is the default fall back program in college for those who don't know what they want to do in life.
>>
File: 1493313371911.png (273KB, 513x593px)
1493313371911.png
273KB, 513x593px
psychologists aren't magicians. they can't just make you better via talking.

i havent been to one since i was a child in my parent's care but here are my observations:

99% of psychologists are useless. you are much better off meditating and sorting out your own shit. only you will truly understand it.

young psychologists are USELESS - its a field where experience is everything. experience with patients and personal life experience of their own. otherwise your mental health is literally an educational experiment for them. which can be really bad for you at worse and useless at best.

women psychologists are also useless, especially for male patients. most female psychologists cannot relate to most men.

the only female psychologists that can POSSIBLY understand would be an old one, successfully married with children. she might be able to relate after years of intimate collaboration with a husband raising a family. but still probably not.

what you want, if you can find it, is an older, experienced, successful male clinical psychologist that treats the relationship more like a mentor/student than doctor/patient.

at the end of the day psychology really is a pseudoscience. i reiterate the value of just silent meditation and self-reflection over going to a psych.
>>
>>38038114
I told her that yesterday. She basically said "you are angry, good, that's the part of the healing process" -.-
>>
>>38038115
Okay this is really starting to piss me off. Quit pretending to be me, I'm the one that posted this thread. Get a life
>>
>>38038138
That's enough of you. I'm using a tripcode from this post onwards
>>
File: =^).png (70KB, 196x206px) Image search: [Google]
=^).png
70KB, 196x206px
I'm op, it's me
>>
>>38036916
>Physical: 16
>Mental: 12
>Social: 19
>Accomplishments: 10
>Bonus: 10
>TOTAL: 67
B-but I feel like a robot.
>>
i study psychology and i cant take most of "psychotherapy" seriously. its very dependant on the therapist and most of it is unscientific. but also most people have too high expectations about psychology, becase thats what they get from popular culture. its not a magic thing where you sit down, talk to someone and then you are fixed. if you have a good therapist you can improve on your problems in 1-2 year. but the way you described her she seems like an average roastie meme psychologiest, 90% of the females at my uni are stacy sluts
>>
>>38036916
>96 but feel like a 50

wtf is my problem
>>
>>38036916

I had a long-ish term gf that torn me to pieces emotionally and I got to graduate from college with a meme degree, but that's about it...
>>
>>38036916

scored an 86, but mostly because of 2 failed marriages giving me points i no longer deserve
>>
>>38038123
>at the end of the day psychology really is a pseudoscience.

Dolph disagrees.

https://youtu.be/iNOE0dZpHcY
>>
>>38037023
They sound pretty based desu senpai
>>
>>38037393
Who's to say that none of things actually are true? Maybe you really are an alien-angel, persecuted by some aliens, protected by others.
>>
>>38038673

You psychosis enabler.

I'm going back to my thread. You know the one. Take care y'all.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.