[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College and a job

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1588.jpg (19KB, 364x327px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1588.jpg
19KB, 364x327px
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU MANAGE GOING GO COLLEGE AND ALSO WORK?????
>>
>>38021350
By not going to a Sate/Ivy League/Russell Group School
>>
Undergrad is easy as fuck (with VERY few exceptions). College students have a ridiculous amount of free time. Working 20-40 hours a week is totally doable.

You probably spend at least that much time shitposting and playing vidya.
>>
>>38021402
I meant *State
>>
>>38021408
So what? Im just supposed to throw away everything that brings me joy in my life so i can follow the path of "success"
>>
>>38021515
Yes. It's called being a self sufficient adult.
>>
>>38021408
It is doable, but it sucks. There are many times when I wish I had more time/energy to simply focus more on certain material or explore to this or that without being so focused on cramming for those As.

That's the way it be, I guess.
>>
>>38021515
When your teachers said "follow your dreams", they didn't mean EVERYONE.
>>
>>38021408
dude you're fucking deluded into thinking that by society....as far as I know you have to study quite a lot in college(not that I've ever been) and to have to work 40 hours a week at the same time which on its own is enough to drive you crazy is just insane...
I couldn't even do either of those things alone(dropped out of HS and quit multiple jobs)
seriously man stop doing what you're told and live a little...
>>
>>38021350
>tfw juggle 18 hrs of class, research, and work at the same time.
The secret is to get a third shift job and have classes that start at 8-10ish. I've still got a few hours of free time also, so I can sporadically play games or shit post.
>>
>>38021350
Decent time management OP, that's all it takes.
>>
>>38021764
>dropped out of HS and quit multiple jobs

you should not be giving unsolicited life advice scandinavian ice fishing forums such as this.
>>
>>38021515
you delay some gratification now in order to have more overall in the future.

welcome to human life on earth, try the chicken while you're here.
>>
You don't if you want a social life. My entire life is homework and then working 50 hours a week. I socialize sometimes but not much because I should be doing homework.
>>
>>38021350
You don't. Quit one of those
>>
>>38021960
Key word is

>some

Literally all people like me and that guy is our escapism.

A job that pays a living wage is a god damn need and not a want. It's totally a roulette wheel spin no matter what you do in this country. You could work your ass off all through college and still end up with nothing.
>>
>>38021993
this.
when I worked and went to school it was miserable.
the manager didn't give a fuck that I was in school, all he wanted was to have somebody to stand around for a shift and do menial labor.
the school didn't give a fuck that I was working.
the only time the manager gave a shit about anything was when I quit and he acted like quitting to focus on school was a sin
>>
>>38022084
Don't universities have student jobs that work around your schedule?
>>
>>38021834
>you should not be giving unsolicited life advice scandinavian ice fishing forums such as this.
what the fuck is that supposed to mean?
>>
>>38022260
>what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

you heard me.
>>
>>38021764

Dude, I went to college while working and I actually know what the fuck is going on in this thread. I don't make posts telling people how to drop out of highschool and quit jobs, alright. You post about things you know about and I'll do the same. Deal?

>>38021350

Anyway, OP, you work weekends and a few evenings, full time in the summer if you can. If you have no one to help you and don't want loans you spend a year or more working full time and saving money. You will probably need a roomate.

You can do this and still shitpost quite a bit.

I didn't even own a fucking car at the time and had to walk everywhere, bum rides, or deal with our terrible mass transit. It wastes a fuckton of time.

When you're done college, if you don't know anybody in the field to help you get something good then you work some shit job(s) until you have enough experience to get a decent one.

No, you won't have a lot of free time for a few years.
>>
File: eQ20E.jpg (82KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
eQ20E.jpg
82KB, 384x313px
I spend like 10 hours a week at college and occasionally I do some home stuff. Now I can play games for 10+ hours a day. To be honest this is much less actual work than high school or even elementary.
>>
>>38022361
well I'm still allowed to express my opinion, aren't I? It just seems insane and it seems that somebody who'd subject himself to something like that could endure serious consequences....you could always just enjoy life instead...
>>
>>38022011
the trick is to see which way the wind's blowing so you don't get stuck being made redundant by a computer, high-schooler or migrant. find a job with rising demand/growth and good pay (i.e. $75k salary or higher)
>>
>>38021515
you should enjoy working.
>>
>>38022699

What serious consequences?

Getting a decent secure job, my own place and a car? Even basic shit like not having to worry about money or walk everywhere in the middle of winter is actually pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>38022805
and how many years did you have to subject yourself to literal torture to be able to enjoy these basic pleasures?
>>
>>38022168
Not if you're a fucking white male
>>
>>38021350
8 hours for work
8 hours for sleep
8 for school.
There you go.
>>
>unironically selling your time for <15$/hr while you're paying tens of thousands of dollars in tuition

Lol stay poor
>>
>Work from 7 to 11
>School from 11:30 to 3
>Free time after that
It's really not that hard
>>
>>38022868

>torture

Planning ahead and working for a few years to support yourself is literal torture now? What kind of sheltered life have you lead?

Things take time man. And it isn't as if you can't do anything at all during this time for fun, you just have to work them into your schedule. It isn't literal torture to not smoke weed everyday.
>>
>>38021408
I have been an employed guy, working full time and thinking "I enjoy having my evenings off to live my own life". I have worked 70 hours a week, and thought "this isn't actually that bad", even though I was just living to work basically. The hardest thing I ever did was after that, when I went and became a student. The stress of doing assignments, along with trying to find motivation, is so much harder than working a lot of hours, in physically demanding jobs. The free time feels needed, I worked during my second year, 12 measly fucking hours a week, and I struggled with it, just because it was throwing my mornings out, and it cut into time which I felt like I needed to use to unwind. The end few weeks before stuff is due in, when the panic sets in and work really starts being done, requires basically every hour in the day for them weeks, for you to do well. I have been the guy working and saying "students have it so easy", but having been a student I realise that it's pretty fucking difficult. It is easy to say about time management and stuff, but at the time it's pretty fucking tricky.
>>
>>38022287
You meant to type the word "on" in the middle of that you fucking retard, how do you miss a word?
>>
>>38023097
Exact same experience for me

Working 60 hours a week manual labor was a cakewalk compared to getting my bachelor's

Shit can be grueling if you're in a competitive program
>>
>>38021350
If you go to a shit uni or do a shit degree it's eminently feasible.
>>
>>38023147
I dunno about you but every single semester I thought to myself that I needed to sort my shit out early, get on with assignments as soon as they're released, get them finished within two week, and save myself the stress. Yet I still left my dissertation almost entirely to the last 2 months, and basically every assignment was the same thing. Still, so glad to be finished with that shit and starting a real job. Funnily enough I will be earning 1.5x what I earned when I worked them 70 hour weeks, except I'll only be working 37.5 hours a week. It all feels worth it now.
>>
>>38023007
idk it's just that working hard for 4 years in HS to get into a good college then working 40 hours a week while attending classes and studying a lot to graduate from college to then have to work shitty jobs for years while paying for college debt to then get a decent job that pays alright doesn't seem too great to me....if that's how you want to do it then ok....but I guess it's not for everyone...
>>
>>38023257
Hence why working a shit job while you're in university is braindead retarded
>>
>>38023272

You don't have to take a 4 year university degree. you can go to college for 2 years and get a trade or technical skill of some kind.
>>
>>38023287

Or you just don't procrastinate on every project and paper.

But if you live at home and are cool with debt then sure do whatever you want and hopefully you can pay it back later.
>>
>>38023287
I worked for most of my 2nd year, and to be fair I finished overall with a 1st, so I don't think it totally fucks you, and if you need money then you need money, that can't always be helped. But given the choice, some spare cash to blow or a bit more time to focus on the studies, I'd choose the way I did and quit that fucking job when the going gets important.
>>
if you ever want to get something done, give the job to a busy person. not a slacker like op
>>
This board is unsalvageable. Fuckin normalfags everywhere.
>>
>>38023939
It's okay anon, look I'm going to ruin my life now, just so you don't feel alone as a pathetic loser anymore!
>>
File: IMG_4979.jpg (11KB, 243x177px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4979.jpg
11KB, 243x177px
>>38023939
I'm glad someone else agrees with me too
>>
>>38021960
>moor

Of what?
>>
File: endless_ocean_feel.jpg (294KB, 960x986px) Image search: [Google]
endless_ocean_feel.jpg
294KB, 960x986px
>paying for information that you could get for free
>not understanding the real meaning of university and selfstudy
Have you nothing learned from good will hunting
>>
college i had a lot of free time. i went from like 9:30-12 sometimes i had a class at 1 or 1:30. all i did when i got home from school was eat and play video games.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.