[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help- I think my brother is Schizophrenic

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

My brother was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was a kid and there's definitely something off with him. However recently he's gotten really bad and I think he may be mentally ill:
>is always pacing around if not doing anything
>NEET for 3 years
>(Big one) Constantly having conversations to himself when he thinks nobody can hear him. It's usually him yelling at my parents for "making him a NEET"
>Thinks he's going to be really famous somehow even though he has no charisma (it's more of him not wanting to work and getting an easy way out)
>Rationalizing failings with religion (I.E. That girl didn't reciprocate my advances because she's a sinner. God doesn't want me to get a job.)
>Extremely paranoid. Does things like putting a ton of extra keys on his ring so "if someone steals his key they wont know which one opens the house" and constantly clearing his history including youtube for no reason
>Room is a pigsty
>Masturbates when people are home and are rooms away
>Is a pedophile
I know you're all going to joke that it's you but I can assure you he never goes on 4chan
>>
>>37891278
That's literally every robot on this board. The only help he needs is a nice long stay at an inpatient mental health facility
>>
>>37891334
How would I go about it though? He would totally lose his shit if anyone even alluded to the fact he's not 100% sane. He throws tantrums and might get violent. He has a handgun permit but I don't know if he has one hidden somewhere.
>>
>>37891334
Also do robots have out-loud conversations with themselves? That seems like extreme mental illness
>>
>>37891511
I'ts called having a Tulpa. Look it up.
>>
>>37891511
yeah of course, it's therapeutic to get your thoughts out of your head when you think no one can hear you.
i wouldn't be too worried about it
>>
>>37891385
Sorry, forgot about this thread. I'm not sure. I don't have any experience with that but I imagine talking to a social worker or a mental health professional about your concerns would be a good start. Good luck. You're a good brother
>>
>>37891278
I read psych and anthropology books for fun, so I'm not a doctor, but I have decent armchair knowledge. I too am an autist, so it's my way of understanding people and having a positive hobby.

It sounds like he might just have some maladaptive behaviors that snowball from his social isolation. He's embracing his anti-social impulses (we've all got them) because he's caught in feedback loops where attempting to do the right thing doesn't have positive consequences.

His dreams of future success and paranoia are likely linked. Both involve others noticing him in a way that makes his daily choices important. It's like a little kid telling his friends that his uncle works at Nintendo. Nobody's going to believe him, but telling this story to himself of some possible tangential "greatness" makes him feel better. You don't have to be mentally ill to pull this off. There's a lot of maladaptive behavior that's completely nonpathological.
>>
>>37892150
That's a really good analysis. What would be the "cure?" Therapy?
>>
>>37891511
I've heard its pretty normal to simulate a conversation aloud, so i wouldn't say its anything to worry about
>>
>>37892263
shock therapy or CBT if you can get him to cooperate.
>>
>>37891511
It's very normal. I talk to myself when I'm home alone. Are you Canadian?
>>
>>37892341
American. What do you mean you talk to yourself? Are you just saying all your thoughts to organize them or are you having angry conversations with people that aren't there and blaming them for sabotaging you?
>>
>>37892263
You need to set up situations where doing the socially correct thing will result in rewards that are an obvious consequence of his actions. This will help him feel in control of his life in a positive way. Right now, the only thing he thinks he can do is tear down what little he has, so he's being a fucktard to give himself some sad form of agency. (Never show him this thread. Please.)

Start small. Does he look a bit "off"? Get haircuts together, and talk him into a good choice. Beforehand, get the family to know that they ought to compliment him.

Does he not bathe often? Tell him that taking a warm bath and reading a manga/book/magazine before bed instead of looking at a screen will make him sleep better. (This has the added benefit of being true.)

Does he not exercise? Take him on a walk to the store or library, and buy him something small like a coke. The fucker's lonely, so he'll take the bait. You need to act like it's a favor to you too, though. Gradually, being outside won't be so strange to him, and maybe you could talk him into riding bikes with you as a favor.

Just do small stuff like this until he looks more like a person. He'll feel better and make more steady choices.

Eventually, he'll be somewhat employable. Maybe it would help if you framed an entry-level job as an apprenticeship that he could move up from. If he wants to be famous, maybe working at a restaurant would help him get a cooking channel off the ground. Oops, his camera work is shit? Better go to some extended education classes at the community college in film editing.

These things have a way of working themselves out if you introduce positive consequences for correct behavior.
>>
>>37891278
I really like that painting. Do you have any more of it?
>>
>>37892317
No, armchair anon here again. No shock therapy.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, on the other hand, is what my above post is low-key encouraging. You can't get him to a therapist now without a large setback, so you're encouraging him to think through his actions and connect them to the real world.

Later, as he improves, you can talk about his goals and ways you could approach those goals realistically.
>>
>>37892533
This is actually solid advise for the OP.

Dive into what this anon said about control and confidence and think how you yourself react when someone compliments you or when a change becomes objecyiely obvious to yourself. Once you see things are working out you get a momentum. Dive into the shoes of your brother with a conclusion of this.
>>
>>37892533
>>37892584
>>37892951
That's really great advice, thanks. I'll get to work on that. I've already tried getting him to improve but his self esteem is so shit that it didn't do much. I'll try again but more rewarding.

>>37892581
It's Between The Holes In Memory by Dominique Appia
>>
>>37893197
Don't make it obvious it is fake. People are not retarded and he will feel like a lab rat once he easily finds that you are trying to control his behaviour by faking too much.
>>
>>37893415
Except he's not an experiment. He's just being encouraged to complete small, achievable tasks that are naturally rewarding.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.