[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How has your mind coped with the fact that free will doesn't

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 1493992130909.png (888KB, 998x1096px) Image search: [Google]
1493992130909.png
888KB, 998x1096px
How has your mind coped with the fact that free will doesn't exist and that we live in a pre-determined universe where there's no way to set back the clock and no way to alter your ingrained habits and mental states without a change of circumstances that may or may not ever happen?
>>
>>37885677
>How has your mind coped with the fact that free will doesn't exist
Not giving a shit in the first place. It's either predetermined, be controlled by diceroll, or some combination. There was never any "good" alternative.
>>
>>37885738
Maybe it's fucked with me more than it should. I have an addiction and reading about determinism makes me think I'll never get over it unless an entity or event intervenes.
>>
I use my free will to cope.
>>
>>37885878
Define "free will", anon.
>>
>>37885769
>unless an entity or event intervenes

Or, you know, unless that entity or event is inside you, much like with literally everyone who got rid of an addiction.

Addictions are not cured by outside factors.
>>
>>37885908
Alcoholics anonymous is an outside factor, rehab is an outside factor, a caring family/friend circle is an outside factor, nearly killing your child because you were drunk is an outside factor, seeing people get better in front of your own eyes is an outside factor, feeling like you belong to a higher purpose or power is an outside factor. If you're like me, a person who's spent most of his life alone in a room then you have nothing like this.
>>
File: 14444426.png (7KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
14444426.png
7KB, 251x201px
>>37885677

It means nothing about my life is my fault.
>>
>>37885677
By losing all will do do anything and being stuck in a paradoxical existence where everything I experience makes it seem as if I have free will when, in reality, I do not.
>>
>>37885944
>If you're like me, a person who's spent most of his life alone in a room then you have nothing like this.

You don't need any of that. You just need to quit today and stick to it. Promise that you'll quit to /r9k/ and quit. Report back here every day.

Stop being a cuck to the big alcohol industry.

>hurr let me pay for this poisonous swill that literally cucks me out of my life, health, and sanity
>>
>>37885944
>If you're like me, a person who's spent most of his life alone in a room then you have nothing like this.
Well shit. The whole point of a house is it's your castle, relatively free from outside events. You aint making it easy for the dice.
>>
>>37885677
Predetermination isn't an excuse to not change your lazy ingrained habits (or your toxic attitude)
>>
>>37885972
I shirked a sizable responsibility today by not taking an exam for a class because I had spent all month in my room feeding my addiction to ignore the stress. I'm going outside simply so my family thinks I took the test, I will try to get better and won't waste this extra time I have but what exactly is stopping me from going back into my old ways?
>>
>>37886065
>This board accepts and shares statistics that say X% of blah are more likely to do Y activity
>Thinks people can just change who they are
>>
File: Van_Gogh_Museum_Amsterdam.jpg (991KB, 3206x1479px) Image search: [Google]
Van_Gogh_Museum_Amsterdam.jpg
991KB, 3206x1479px
>>37885677
I try not to think about it desu...if I were to dwell on that fact i'd probably start getting depressed again
>>
>>37885677
It doesn't really give a shit.
>>
>>37885677
I stopped caring about things that I don't have nearly full control over a long time ago.
>>
Like a cynical, bitter, depressed, misanthropic, pessimistic and nihilistic toxic mess of a human being.
>>
>>37885677
I don't believe in predetermination, but if I did then it wouldn't matter how I felt about it because I would have always felt that way and would have no way of being aware that it was something possible to question.
>>
>>37885677
destiny can't reach me anon im pretty sure i escaped my fate either good or bad.
nothing is gonna happen to me if i stay here
>>
>>37885677
Well if that's the case, Im gonna do whatever the fuck I want to, and if I meet a girl again, doesn't matter what I've done, right? We were destined to meet anyway.
>>
>>37885677
How was your 16th birthday op!?

Jesus Christ how are you kids getting newer and newer by the day?
>>
>>37885896
WE'VE GOT A MO'FUCKIN PHILOSOPH OVA HEUH NIGGAS, check em
>>
>>37887766
God those digits make me diamonds
>>
>>37885677
Realizing that fate exists is actually pretty freeing. You don't have to worry so much. Sure, your choices still affect your destiny, but you're destined to make whatever choices you make, so don't beat yourself up so much about the bad ones and don't worry so much. You're going to die someday, so you just chill out and "enjoy" the ride until then.
>>
>>37885677
Easy answers: life feels like free will because we're too dumb to accurately and consistently predict the future, or understand the present/past. Someone may claim that they feel the experience of living a predetermined life, but they'd be full of shit.
>>
>>37885944
all of these things only help the person struggling with addictions. The choice to change is solely yours alone and no one else can take credit for it.
>>
File: 1491959169254.jpg (66KB, 543x549px) Image search: [Google]
1491959169254.jpg
66KB, 543x549px
Am I the only one who likes this idea? That everything is predestined to happen? Makes me feel better, less connected to my life.

pic not related just wanted people to read my post
>>
>no way to alter your ingrained habits

If you are below the age of 25, your brain isn't fully developed and you can still form habits. Once you're 26 like me, every day goes by automatically, I can't control anything anymore. You become true robot, so to speak. I noticed this about adults when I was a kid, when I still had that creative youthful energy, and I was right. All adults are robots.

You have to like do something crazy and new and interesting ever day of your teenage and early adult years prior to 25 if you want to form a habit of doing new things, otherwise, you will fall into doing the same, repetitive things over and over like me. If you're young, try to change while you still can.
>>
File: 1495840661986.jpg (54KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1495840661986.jpg
54KB, 612x612px
Coped? Heh I'm developing schizophrenia so apparently not very well.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.