[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General chatting thread, returning depression edition. Hey /r9k/,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: normie_advice.jpg (96KB, 1006x768px) Image search: [Google]
normie_advice.jpg
96KB, 1006x768px
General chatting thread, returning depression edition.

Hey /r9k/, resident normie here. If you need some advice, have any questions, or just want to vent for a bit and get stuff off your chest, here's the thread to do it. I will attempt to answer every post as sincerely as possible(:

>inb4 normie off my board reeeeeee
>inb4 OP can't inb4
>inb4 what are your credentials for being a normie
>>
It's been two months since I've been trying to break bad habits like visiting this shit website. At least I started working out a bit.
>>
>>37852072
Ayy, I find that working out helps, not only because it improves your body image but because the positive reinforcement you get and the routine sit enforces. I have to say, getting off this site is really helpful, since it feeds your insecurities and basically poisons your mind.
>>
>>37852140
KEK'D.com
>>
If this girl is telling me that she has nothing to do in town, is she essentially inviting me to invite her to do things with me?
And I have no idea what to do, all I do everyday is go online and play vidya. Which is enough for me, I love staying inside. I just don't know if I should just take her to a bar or something. I don't know what to do to invite her to do things with me.
>>
>>37852170
I'm not cucked. I'm gay.
>>
>>37852140
Fuuuuuck, that's a bitch of a situation. Saying you miss him is a bit too strong, while approaching from a career point of view will seem like you're dismissing your past friendship. What I would do is I'd send him a message asking if he's doing alright and how everything's going. If he said no and vents for a bit, sit down with him, talk it through with him and work this situation to the point where you essentially say that you'll be there for him, but he needs to move on and not bother your friend. If he says that he's all good, then press him a bit "ya sure? Friend has mentioned that you've been calling her quite a bit recently, everything going alright?". If he keeps saying that he's fine and being defensive, you can straight-up tell him to stop but I'm not sure it'll help at that point.
>>
>>37852171
I mean, what's the context? If feels like it's more of an unrelated statement, but I mean possibly? I'd personally still go to the bar or something for the first date or two, since it's a neutral environment and stuff, but you could always invite her back to your for dinner and a movie or something later?
>>
>>37852055
>>37852055
Is it possible to have a full college experience at almost 21 years old? After years of isolation, I start to believe I may have a chance to do well in college. It took me time to process, I completely failed my social life in high school, people barely knew my name. I do not want to reproduce the same mistakes, what would you do as a college freshman? Can you give me some tips to break the ice and make people comfortable?
>>
>>37852349
Hahahahahaaha, I went to college when I was 21. I actually got into a different uni at 18 and went for half a year, but a combination of depression and video game addiction resulted in me dropping out and spending a few years doing various jobs here and there. When I finally felt mentally ready to go back, I was worried about the same stuff - won't I be too old, isn't it too late for me to go to uni? Turns out that none of that matters to anyone - I ended up finding a lovely bunch of people that I became very close friends with and honestly had the best time of my life - I've never felt happier or more included. As for icebreakers and whatnot, understand that when people get to uni, they know no-one there and they just want to have a good time - thus everyone will be incredibly friendly and outgoing because they want the same thing as you - to make friends. Just be nice and friendly, go out with people when they invite you out, even if it doesn't seem like too much fun (I don't particularly like clubs, but I'll be damned if I didn't visit them a ton in my first few weeks) and you'll be just fine. I wouldn't be worried for a second, anon, I'd be looking forward to college.
>>
>>37852496
We are pretty much the same indeed, I'm an online poker addict since I'm 18, I can play 12 hours a day, I have regular nightmares about and the little money I make of it certainly certainly doesn't worth it.
I still have two months to find the good balance but it's hard.

You know the thing that killed in high school was the fear of rejection, I talked to nobody, so I became a creep to their eyes really fast. Sometimes, I want to find the perfect plan to do things the right way and end up doing nothing to not bother people.
>>
>>37852705
Sorry for the input, captcha is driving me crazy.
>>
>>37852705
You cannot plan people, I find, and you need to be able to improvise when dealing with others. As for talking to others, pretty much the ONLY way to not make friends in uni is to not talk to people. I've met some very strange and unusual people, but they have their own group of like-minded friends (and me, in some cases). People want to talk to you, and everyone's too new and too grown up to be cliquey anymore, they just want to chill and have friends. As for rejection, I understand - nobody likes getting rejected, but the way I see it is that if I try and fail, then I KNOW that there's nothing I could have done about it and I can rest easy, but if I don't try, then that's the true failure, and I'll never know what could have been if I put in a bit of effort and talking to them. Easier said than done, I know, but you have to go past your comfort zone to make the most of what you have.

The balance I ended up finding was quitting Dota 2 (the thing I was addicted to) for a few months, and since then never to play too seriously. Whatever works for you, but quitting cold turkey and adjusting to it is what got me back on my feet.
>>
>>37852862
Thanks man, you give credit to what I'm not always brave to admit by myself. I'm going to register.

About addictions, I thought about other games recently. I realize I could also be addict to any other strategic game and be even crazy about them. But if I don't think about chess now, it means I can forget poker later.
I'll try to maintain that kind of mind tricks until I forget it. As you said, it's about not taking it seriously.
>>
How viable is it to get a BA in history IF I wanted to go into archiving?

I know hostory is a rough one to get a job in but im hoping if I have a plan it might work out.

Thoughts?
>>
>>37853087
Yeah that's fair man, if you can make it work then power to you.

>>37853160
I'm afraid I'm not very versed in jobs outside of maths, computer science or finance, but I'm sure that a history degree is going to be respected in a field that's so closely tied to history - like, who else would they even want? I'm fairly sure that an archiving degree either doesn't exist or is far too niche for their tastes.
>>
>>37853277
Time to bump this bad boy thread up.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.