[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else here lucked out?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Lucked out.jpg (66KB, 1000x655px) Image search: [Google]
Lucked out.jpg
66KB, 1000x655px
>Be me
>Failure of a human
>Good grades when motivated but no consistency
>Drop out of university, never finishing my degree
>Set for failure
>Grandparents die
>Grandparents own two houses next to each other with 3 large apartments each
>Aunts want to keep them in family but not take them, push them on my father
>Father doesn't live here, hands them down to me
>Don't have to pay rent
>Never do anything so no real running costs
>Basically live of the rent from the other apartments, no real taxes because various costs such as running costs are deductible and I do not breach the ammount necessary for proper taxation
>Grandfathers sister couldn't have children
>Be favorite family member because nobody else kept in touch
>Recently told me while visiting them that they decided to put me as inheritor, actually feel bad about this because it makes it seem that it was the only reason I kept in touch

Basically, I achieved nothing in my life. I have done nothing of value. Contributed nothing of value. Yet solely due to dumb luck and the older generations in my family, I'm way better off than most of my friends. When people ask me what I am doing my answer is "I own and manage real estate", which isn't untrue but also not entirely true. Anyone else got lucky and would've otherwise be some even worse loser living in a dumpster?
>>
>>37840169
You're living the NEET dream. Nice
>>
This is how a lot of people become wealthy/upper-middle class. Life isn't fair and you got lucky, embrace it.
>>
>>37840169
you seem like a nice person and I like you, so I am glad that you lucked out.
>>
>parents went from poor immigrants to upper-class through hard work.

>grandparents bought houses in poor suburbs which gentrified, and are now valued highly.

I won't be seeing any of it for a long time, though, and i'd rather have them than money.
>>
>>37840249
In my case the wrong grandparents died. My father's parents had issues but they were overall good people. My mother's parents are the worst scum imagineable and sadly they still live. Sure my maternal grandfather shot his brain with alcohol and is a vegetable but he's still around as is my maternal grandmother who's everything wrong with humans you can imagine. Abusive, vile, egocentric, hateful, spiteful, a consumate liar etc. She is only happy if others are miserable and will screw people over without a second thought solely to do it.

I'll never understand why the decent people die first and people like her live on and on.
>>
>>37840283
As another poster said, life isn't fair, and there's no good/bad scorecard at the end. Much in the same way you did nothing to deserve your relative comfort, someone else did mostly nothing to deserve their discomfort.

just be happy you got dealt pocket aces homie and be smart with your assets/spoiler]
>>
I got semi-lucky.

>growing up, typical 'smart but doesn't apply himself' guy
>no extracurricular activities, average grades/SAT
>still get accepted to good college
>average grades in college, no internships, no leadership positions, etc.
>senior year, go to career fair
>get interview from 1st person I talked to, decided I didn't need to talk to anyone else
>get hired from the 1 person I talked to 5 months before I graduated
>little debt from grants/scholarships even though I didn't do anything in college
>getting paid well for easy work
>live by myself in a nice and cheap apartment
>get to go home and play games for 6 hours because work doesn't have any take-home work

Livin' a good life
>>
>>37840169
My case may not be quite as extreme as yours but I consider myself pretty lucky.

>no college degree
>no real prospects or passion
>series of shitty choices leave me homeless and jobless after high school
>end up getting a shitty gardening job a a good uni
>eventually start hanging around the engineering department's machine shop
>transfer jobs to be an apprentice welder
>make some great friendships with a bunch of engineers
>one guy leaves to start a pipeline welding/weld inspection company in West Texas during the fracking boom
>offers me a position but he can't pay me so instead I get a chunk of the company
>work in bumfuck nowhere for two years
>he decides to sell the company
>I get a nice chunk of money, it's life changing but not enough to live of off for the least of my life
>first time in my life I have money, I have no idea what to do with it
>move back to LA
>decide I should put it in some property
>another friend's dad is selling his machining business including a 30k sq ft warehouse
>it's 2008 so property prices have tanked and I end up buying it
>think it will be a decent investment
>fast forward a few years and I ended up selling the property to a developer for almost 15 times what I paid for it 8 years earlier
>he's turning it into overpriced condos for rich kids
>I now have enough money to probably never have to work again in my life

I worked pretty damn hard to get to this point but I still got extremely lucky with the way things turned out. The company could have easily gone under or the property market gone differently. It's pretty cool not having to worry about money anymore even though I still have a job and go to work everyday.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.