[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the STEAM meme true lads? Should I study engineering?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 917427148612.png (83KB, 483x132px) Image search: [Google]
917427148612.png
83KB, 483x132px
Is the STEAM meme true lads? Should I study engineering?
>>
engineering is for faggots your job is just gonna be taken over by the robots you help create anyway
>>
is the +arts thing something that some people tried to push or is it just a meme?
>>
>>37835640
it's kind of a mix of both
>>
>>37835640
Artfags tried to push this in order to make themselves relevant
IRL people only say STEM and don't care about lib artss
>>
>>37835640
There's a high school near me with "STEAM" signs outside it, so I guess there are people who unironically push it.
>>
>>37835805
I imagine its used to push "soft sciences" like psychology into the picture
>>
>>37835640
I think there's some merit to the idea. Stuff like art, history and philosophy help add context to the problems engineers try to solve, I wish I had taken more of that kind of stuff in school.
>>
Just get a degree in management and have an easy job for life.
>>
The entire point of the STEM acronym existing was specifically to exclude useless degrees like arts.
>>
>>37835862
really then it should be TE because science and math are usually useless as well.
>>
>>37835593
there is so much wrong with the post. robots will take over menial labor mostly.
>>
>>37835881
you're a dumb nigger/underage if you unironically think this
>>
File: 1496942731451.png (285KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1496942731451.png
285KB, 1000x800px
>>37835812
>>37835839
>>37835848
STEM is analogous to "technical sciences"
If you add STEAM, soft sciences, or philosophy, it encompasses most fields of study and defeats the purpose of saying stem

>>37835549
If there's a field of engineering you'd enjoy, go for it. Very lucrative and rewarding once you finish school
>>
Seriously how can anyone possibly think adding "arts" to STEM makes any sense?

STEM all utilizes the logical half of the brain, while art majors utilize the creative half of the brain. Fucking morons.
>>
File: et.jpg (120KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
et.jpg
120KB, 650x400px
>>37835881
should be ET because that shit's basically made up anyways
>>
>>37835549
Westerners are retarded.
>>
got my 4 year in Bioengineering which lead to a comfy job working at a large company as a quality engineer, make 62k a year with very little stress.

keep in mind though, I had to look for a year to get that job. so the meme worked out for me
>>
>>37835549
>art cucks this mad that their doodles their art teacher praised don't cut it in the real world
>>
>>37835549
>>37835640
didnt they also add a D for design?
>>
>>37836314
>make $29/hour literally face painting shitty faced children for their disgustingly rich parents

didn't graduate art school tho, so
>>
>>37835549
Only if you have a high IQ (especially a high spacial IQ), if you don't, don't bother.

It's gonna eb frustrating and you're not gonna enjoy your future career
>>
>>37836314
i think most art students (as in illustrators) already know that theres a high chance they are going to grow up living a shitty poverty life. i know i do
>>
>>37836350
Then why pursue it and not just have it as a hobby on the side? My major grief is people going to school for it and forcing the STEAM meme like only art students can do creative problem solving or teachers lying about a student's skill and future. I have nothing against art as a hobby, and if people like it enough to make it your full time job then great.

It just doesn't make sense to me that you would go to school just to pay a lot of money to build your portfolio. Unless it is free, which means you just waste time which can be equally bad if you lose 4-8 years of your life pursuing a meaningless degree. I'm seeing a resurgence of "we need liberal art majors to design creative solutions to problems," and even MIT bit the meme.
>>
>>37835900
The idea is you need both sides (yes, your entire brain) to be a talented engineer or artist or whatever you're trying to be.
>>
Who else here is part of the STEAMMB (science, tech, engineering, arts, math, medicine, business) master race here??
>>
The Computer Science meme is real lads. Making $8k/month usd as an intern. No prior experience.
>>
>>37835900
Because everybody is equal and diversity quotas.
>>
>>37836557
I'm STEAMY

Science
Technology
Engineering
Arts
Mathematics
Yaoi
>>
>>37835891
Please point out where they're hiring math majors (just math no programming minor bullshit) in droves and I'll never post here again.
>>
>>37836557
Where is STEAMMBGL for global studies and language? Look dude I really like Africans so I majored in Africans. Look, employers are currently looking for people who spent 4 years spending a $100k going on a big vacation around the world while occasionally updating a blog. It's 2017, we are a global community and we need more professional globals to keep up with the times.
>>
>>37836478
theres a high stigma for contemporary and abstract art seen as shit on a canvas, and sometimes its literal, which i totally agree with. but the reason i say illustrators is because those are usually more focused on a career like you said, something like animation, design, conceptual artists, etc that require you to hone fundamental skills and basic knowledge of foundation. unfortunately, as i've gone through art college and uni i've seen a substantial preference for the "everything is art" approach where professors will just pat every student in the back after whatever random splashes of paint they put on a paper and say "well it really is provoking".
I remember being in a third year design class and around half the students in the class barely knew how to manage depth or perspectives. while art is subjective the merit still lies within skill, and it seems like people would rather just grasp at whatever tails they can catch so that some 2deep4u snob can network with them instead of actually trying to learn a skill.
all that being said i have always loved to draw and animate, and i would rather be homeless and starve to death trying to achieve my dream rather than waste my whole life on something i dont want to do
>>
>>37836644
Motherfucker please allow me to check your dubs. Also welcome to the firm! As we say back in Somalia, fogaado shire lo'da!
>>
>most girls can't into STEM
>have school clubs, organizations, etc. to get girls into STEM
>still, most girls can't into stem
>add liberal arts to make STEAM
>suddenly girls make up 50% of the statistics (just like they do when you include mobile with video games)
>more POC and queers in the mix as well
>now bleeding liberals in each individual STEM subject will be interested in quotas so their teams reflect all the diversity in "STEAM"
>profit???
>>
>>37836676
I think the thing that separates illustration or graphic design from the mainstream label of art majors is that they actually provide a product for their employer that will be subject to critique and competition from other artists as apposed to making an abstract painting that only you and your friends will say is good. They will still have a rough time since the field is very competitive since I believe any kid that likes computers and drawing went into that field, but that's just how I see it.

Since you're smart and understand the issues there isn't anything to lecture you or complain about. The stigma against art majors come from the princesses that get out of it then suddenly complain about their $100k debt and yell and scream about getting others to pay for it. These people most likely made these decisions because they grew up being told their art is awesome, "Oh Suzy, your 516th painting of your hand in front of the sun with Beyonce lyrics underneath is so profound!," and art was probably their major social outlet. I just think it is kind of scummy lie to people with, despite good intentions, to do the everyone is special in something routine that tricks people into enrolling in cash cows like NYU or private colleges.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.