[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living with Musicians

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 1486861215183.png (340KB, 526x378px) Image search: [Google]
1486861215183.png
340KB, 526x378px
My three roommates are all musicians. Or, they're people who can play instruments, but none of them can do it at a professional level. Last night our mutual friend, (also a musician) came over to hang out. He had a practice space available somewhere and they asked me if I wanted to come along with them. I don't play any instruments, I'm already an artist so I don't have the time or patience to learn a whole other creative practice. What the fuck am I gonna do for the four hours while they make a bunch of shitty noise? I don't really like any of the music they make, I just put up with it for the most part. I don't actively antagonize them about it because I'm trying to be a good roommate, but honestly, what the fuck do they expect me to do in this situation? Play on my phone the whole time? I can't join in with them, I can only spectate, so I don't understand why they think it would be fun for me.

A couple of them are artists by hobby, but they don't have a fat callous on their middle finger like I do. Sure, we can hang out and make art together, but they just bitch about how they're not very good while I'm already halfway through my painting.
>>
Try to learn one with them
>>
do you make art at a professional level? :-)
>>
>>37773156
>four hours
They're musicians, have them smoke you up, then jack it in the shitter !!!!
>>
File: IMG_5316.jpg (561KB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5316.jpg
561KB, 1936x2592px
>>37773156
Are they classical musicians or just "musicians", aka guitar players, drummers and singers? Sorry you have to go through that OP.

I sit there for almost an hour every day in my bathroom practicing overtones on the saxophone, which are basically controlled squeaks via air and tongue manipulation. The sound is awful, but the rest of my practice is more conventional. If these guys don't play professionally, they're wasting their time. Either study with someone who knows, refine your practice, or put it down and go back to your day job. There's no point in wasting 5 years in mediocrity learning bad habits and never improving.

Don't you have a pair of headphones with noise cancellation? Can you get a room to yourself and talk to the one you know best and tell him you're looking to have quiet time while they practice? There are ways to mitigate this and I imagine if you google "living with musician roommate help" you should find something
>>
>>37773278
Well, we all have pretty similar taste in music. But they're all at the garage level of prominence. They get gigs at shows and can make some money from performing, but they all have day jobs. I don't mind they're practicing, really, since it seems to make them happy. I don't have noise cancelling phones but I do have a room that's closed off from their cramped "music room" downstairs.

I once gave them shit for only practicing for an hour a few months back. I told them, "serious musicians practice all day. They don't stop. You could be trying harder." They didn't take kindly to that.

>>37773207
No, but drawing doesn't make an excess of noise, does it? I don't irritate people by staying in my room and making pictures, do I?
>>
>>37773156
>I'm already an artist

translates as: I'm your usual fat KHVirgiNEET totally unwilling to get a job
>>
File: IMG_2369.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2369.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>37773490
Best advice I could give you is limit the noise impact on your space. They're not going to improve so don't waste your energy on them, you have no obligation to join them, only to tacitly support what they're doing.

Buy noise cancelling headphones, see if you can get some foam insulation and other noise cancelling stuff to shield off your room and make the walls thicker, buy a thicker pine door, have them lower the volume on their amps.
>>
>>37773529
There's nothing wrong with the unwillingness to slave the majority of your life away, you fucking brainwashed retard.
>>
>>37773780
Oh, I'm not gonna go through those measures since they're playing isn't enough to really bother me. Just venting about how I always feel like an outsider in all places and among all groups.
>>
>>37773278
You're probably not as good at saxophone as you think you are.
>>
>>37773278
>If these guys don't play professionally, they're wasting their time.

Jeeeez...
>>
File: IMG_2348.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2348.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>37773807
Well considering you chose the hyperautist visual arts instead of performance arts like music, you're never going to change that. Classical music brings robots together easily. Not a difficult thing to go through, and even through music college you can subsist until you're off on your own into a self-imposed exile playing music from composers you admire.

>>37773846
I know exactly how good I am, and I'm not that good. Doesn't matter much because I'm one of maybe 400 people on the planet that play this equipment, which isn't well known but is absolutely gorgeous sounding. I figured out a long time ago that I wasn't going to practice anything unless I had my heart in it, so I chose the retarded path of the hardest possible difficulty in which only two people have ever made a living doing.

>>37773867
That comes of course with the huge caveat that if they're enjoying themselves and love playing, they're obviously not wasting their time. If they're practicing like they are and expecting to be the next Led Zeppelin, it's a waste of time. There is such a vast knowledge base needed to perform music at a high level that you will never get from just punting around in your garage for a few years. All music majors know how to write music, conduct, play the piano, some sing, many play 3+ instruments, and all of them finish out a major topic of research for their master's when they finish up college. If you're going into this stuff, you either have to be serious or switch out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.