[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i get good at Civ 5? I have watched so many videos and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: civ5.jpg (414KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
civ5.jpg
414KB, 1000x1000px
how do i get good at Civ 5?

I have watched so many videos and have 69 hours played but im still so fucking shit at this game and i only play on level 4. I always seem to think im doing good and at like turn 100 i look at the demographics and im doing poorly every time.

Any anons good at civ 5?
>>
>>37770364
Uhhhh yeah I'm ok, only like 400 hours tho. A lot of it is understanding which options are good at the different points in the game.
>>
>never let your workers do shit on their own
>manage your citizens

Small things matter especially in the beginning.
>>
>>37770364
make sure you select what tiles a city is working. The game can be pretty good at it but sometimes it will auto work the most stupid shit.
and also what >>37770431 said workers are retards. Once you've upgraded the tiles you have/want to upgrade, just delete the worker. they are just costing money at that point and by the time you actually need them again you should be earning a good amount of gold so just buy one
>>
>>37770500
Not OP but I always gave trouble with money if i'm not playing venice. Everything costs money: soldiers, buildings. Everything
>>
>>37770603
Trade routes, lots of trade routes...
>>
>>37770603
I've always prioritised buildings > soldiers. After dealing with any barbarians and I've spread borders abit I delete if not all, almost all of my military and focus on trade routes and building up production so if I ever do need to I have some backup money to buy troops and can then mass produce units. (Granted I prefer playing on archipelago so barbs arent a huge issue most of the time)
>>
>>37770658
But what if someone launches surprise attack on you?
>>
File: 1496858893225.jpg (39KB, 480x471px) Image search: [Google]
1496858893225.jpg
39KB, 480x471px
>>37770364
Honestly you can use same strategy every time: scout, monument, warrior or settler, tradition settler, for tech just do situationally beneficial Tech's and only do defense composite bowman then crossbowman, after those techs you can b-line for each science tech and get pikeman along the way, then you fucking take the land of anyone one you can while building all happiness improving buildings, once you get scientific theory it may be fun for industrial stuff such at Gatling Guns & Factories for Order, Science God at this point so just play whatever victory you want.
>>
>>37770695
luckily I rarely have to deal with that, I did say almost all military as I tend to keep a couple of boats hanging around just to keep an eye out, but yeah if someone does completely catch me off guard its not an easy fight but hey never said my gameplan is perfect one
>>
seems like that any difficulty after prince your enemy gets "extra help"
i might be wrong tho
>>
Peace treaties can be very profitable, so don't always destroy the AI entirely. You can always come back when the treaty expires.

Sell your extra luxuries. IIRC only unique luxury items count towards happiness, and they're worth a few GPT or flat gold.

Stealing workers can give you an early boost.

I find it easier to play tall (~4 cities) with the rest being puppets. It makes the unhappiness easier to manage, and there's also less micromanagement.

I often find it's better to make a peace treaty than lose a promoted unit.

>>37770729
I can't remember if King does or not, but I know for all the ones after they definitely do.
>>
>>37770364
Shoshone is a strong generalist Civ. Your games will just simply go better no matter what you do.

Always, ALWAYS, build a scout first. Build 2 if its pangea or a large landmass.

Your tech priorities should be based around your sorroundings. At first get the improvements that you need the most. Also don't forget jungle and wood needs tech to be cut down, so that will potentially slow you down, as you'll need 2 level 2 techs to get a luxury.

Tradition > Liberty in almost all scenarios.

War and military is good.

Gold is good.

Be conservative about world wonders, don't just spam them.

Science is overrated, in BNW everyone gets free science for the stupidest fucking shit (Spies, Trade routes, and even a hidden -20% research cost if anyone else have discovered something. If you are behind in tech then trade agreements might pay YOU, so you get a science boost and some cash).
I sometimes don't even bother with libraries anymore.

Always puppet unless you NEED it to produce units or you have a specific goal in mind.

Venice and India is shit.
>>
>>37770766

Should I let scouts auto explore, or move them myself?
>>
>>37770901
I'd say manual, but if it's too much, you can just auto.
Just be sure they're not stuck in a loop or commit suicide, which is the main issue with auto explore
>>
>>37770766
what about culture?
>>
>>37771077
Tradition willl give you a free monument in your first 4 cities, which more more than enough (It's a free 40 production in every city, and you instantly get that culture, which is important).

Otherwise, culture is important but it's all a balance in the end.
In BNW you need to focus on great people generation to get proper culture
>>
>>37770729
The AI gets bonuses in every difficulty past the lower ones, the bonuses just get silly on 7 and 8. Like they start with 2 settlers instead of one, and they get a free worker or something. The AI doesn't actually change throughout the difficulty settings
>>
>>37770364
>Focus on building up your production
>Only build enough units to stop yourself getting immediately demolished in a war
>Spam wonders
>Win

The AI is retarded at combat, so even if they declare war on you just sit behind a river and laugh as they attack across it and you demolish them. If you're fighting the Zulu's however, you're completely fucked
>>
>>37771294
Are there any strategy games where the AI doesn't cheat but is actually good?
>>
>>37770364
Play eu4 instead, you mong
>>
>>37771597
This advice only applies if you are actually literally autistic.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 401x367px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 401x367px
>>37771639
>he's so much of a brainlet he can't even play the easiest paradox game
>>
>>37771663
>Thinks taste in videogames makes him superior
>>
File: aurora-6788456.jpg (438KB, 1575x1003px) Image search: [Google]
aurora-6788456.jpg
438KB, 1575x1003px
>>37771663
>Playing paradox games make you smart
kek
>>
>>37771122
should i bother with tourism?
what about diplomats? are they any better than spies?
should you invest in naval exploration? especially when it comes to natural wonders and proving the earth is round
should you landgrab city states?
how often should you buy tiles?
why some cities always stay in arrested development even tho they are rich in resources?
>>
>>37771639
whats wrong with eu4? My favorite streamer and league of legends superstar, hashinshin plays it and it looks ok.
>>
>>37771719
Don't give a shit about tourism unless going for cultural victory
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.