[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mental Illness

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: NOTMYWORK.jpg (38KB, 400x517px) Image search: [Google]
NOTMYWORK.jpg
38KB, 400x517px
Which mental illnesses do you think will be cured within the next few decades? Will we start with common ones like depression or anxiety, or the more-disabling ones like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia? Could we cure autism?
>>
>>37732019
I have
>autism
>schizoid personality disorder
>torretic ocd
>depression
>anxiety
Do you think any of them will be cured or will we still suffer from these so the therapy Jews can get our neetbux?
>>
the meme ones like depression, bipolar, OCD, autism

schizophrenia is too disabling for anyone to care about it, schizophrenics are just a burden, nobody cares about you if you're a burden, while someone with an otherwise normal life can identify as one of the vague meme ones and create a pity party / attract that kind of girl who likes to "fix bad boys"
>>
Not sure about the other ones, but I don't think there's ever gonna be a magical switch that's gonna make anxiety and depression go away instantly.
>>
>>37732137
>I don't think there's ever gonna be a magical switch that's gonna make anxiety and depression go away instantly
Try telling that to my parents. "Oh anon, if you'll just take your meds and go to therapy, we can work through your problems if we all pull together as a team." My mom is convinced that there's some magic cure at the end of the rainbow for my mental illness. No amount of talking to a so called "professional" can help people like me
>>
I honestly think the government will issue some sort of pill that completely erases depression and anxiety, like a much stronger Xanax. Too many people are depressed and committing suicide, losing the government it's workers.
>>
>>37732194
I feel like psychologists talking to you about anxiety/depression is absolutely useless, not sure about meds. Started cipralex (and xanax) few days ago, I'll see in about a month I guess.
>>
>>37732129
I wouldn't say bipolar is a meme one. Look up bipolar type I; the manic episodes produce psychosis near the level of schizophrenic breaks and can fry your brain forever.

>>37732137
I'm not saying cure as in one pill that you only have to take once and makes your brain normal forever. As doctors have told me, "the treatment is the cure".

The problem is that so far those treatments don't work well enough to stop people from going homeless or killing themselves.
>>
>>37732242
why would the government care about investing in "workers" when everything is just going to be automated within the next 15 years? the more disabled and helpless we are, the better to the ones in power
>>
Does schizoaffective count as schizophrenic? Will it ever be cured?
>>
>>37732359
The way I see it it's a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Congratulations, you got the best of both worlds, anon
>>
>>37732359
I believe it counts as schizophrenic and bipolar. Pretty sure schizoaffectives have brains similar to schizophrenics but display very similar symptoms as bipolar disorder. If it gets cured it'll have be with some double feature anti-psychotic/mood-stabilizing drug.
>>
>>37732392
What do you mean by "best"? The least debilitating parts of each?
>>
>>37732430
He's memeing. We all know you got dealt a shit hand.
>>
>>37732453
Well fuck, that's what I thought.
>>37732420
Hm ok, thanks anon
>>
>>37732430
This >>37732453 im saying you're fucked because you got both. "The best" was sarcasm
>>
>>37732497
Ok I see, excuse my sperginess
>>
>>37732019
No because we don't know jackshit about mental illnesses. All we think we know is that there's a chemical imbalance in our brains or someshit. The solution is to take randoms meds and hope for the best. It's basically like you're chemically lobotomizing yourself. Which sucks btw considering all the side effects of medications. After 10 years of trying a plethora of meds at different dosages, I gave up and learned to live with my shitty illness. I found myself taking meds upon meds that I only took to fight off side effects from other meds. Fuck that. I'm diagnosed schizoaffective and probably have some form of undiagnosed autism/aspergers mainly because the meds made me even more retarded. There is no magic pill. Quit looking for it.

I've considered looking into research trials since I might as well let them kill me instead while making some money to leave behind for my family.
>>
>>37732065
>schizoid personality disorder
Well, at least I'm not alone. From perusing Wikipedia I assume it's going to be last on the list considering how vague the criteria for diagnoses is. There's barely even any research into its chemical foundation (aside from it being a schizophrenia-spectrum disorder, whatever that means). It sucks because it's the disorder that can cause some of the most intense misery in anyone who has it.

We truly were born to suffer.
>>
File: 1468178662540.jpg (16KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1468178662540.jpg
16KB, 360x240px
>>37732019
Just stop. This is like asking "can we cure cancer in the next few decades?"
>>
File: powerful-photos-3.jpg (131KB, 880x569px) Image search: [Google]
powerful-photos-3.jpg
131KB, 880x569px
>>37732815
Maybe, but people thought the same thing about HIV when it was discovered. Now those who are infected can be treated to the extent that they live almost as long as a normal person. Also, some cancers can be cured (or at least forced into remission) by radiation therapy and surgery.
>>
>>37732019
No.
There's more money in treating an illness than curing it.
Also, if shtf and you can't get meds, you'll most likely die from withdrawals of the meds or just end up worse than when you started taking medications.
>>
>>37733200
Very true. Even if there was a cure for cancer, it would most likely stay secret. Money rules everything, and always will.
>>
>>37733200
>>37733298
You know what would make the pharm companies lots of money? BETTER TREATMENTS. Anti-psychotics can turn you into a zombie and mood stabilizers have the potential to shorten your lifespan, and they generally aren't great for depression. Not to mention all the side-effects. Nobody's trying to "cure" anything right now because as far as we know it's impossible; we just look at what's wrong with chemicals in the brain and try to combat them because, so far, it's helped much more than any other approach.

Pseudoephedrine is a great example of a "cure" in treatment form. Too bad they had to go and make it illegal.

t. Guy who finished organic chemistry
>>
Is there any other excuse other than autism or retardation for not being able to understand what things are cringe and what things aren't?

Am i doomed to a life of faggotry and lolcowdom or can i improve?
>>
>>37732019
fuck prozac that shit didn't anything for me
>>
>>37734275
Sounds like autism desu - especially if you're making others cringe.
>>
Molecular biology PhD dropout here.

Literally nothing will be "cured" in any of our lifetimes. We're not even at a tangible staring point to understand the biological basis of any DSM categorized diseases. Maybe nmda antagonists or glutamate agonists will become mainstream to treat depression, but it will be obscenely long before ssris/snris are ever challenged as a first line, but the context of this is absolutely impossible predict.

Tldr: mental illness is a construct. If you aren't taking stimulants, gaba pams, or dissociatives your psych is fucking you over. Criteria for mental illnesses is nothing but arbitrary.

Also I just took MDA and ketamine.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.