[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I fork over $2520 for a tutor that'll teach me Japanese

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: azusa-thinking.jpg (185KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
azusa-thinking.jpg
185KB, 2560x1600px
Should I fork over $2520 for a tutor that'll teach me Japanese /r9k/? I want to learn so I can play Japanese games and anime/manga. I'm a consumerist trash whore I know. If this is retarded, let me know, and if there are better ways to learn, let me know too
>>
seems like a decent price if they teach you it fluently
learning another language is a skill, not everyone can speak English and Japanese so it would help with employment and definitely impress people
you'd never want to work in Japan though
>>
>>37715842
>spending 2k on something you can learn yourself for less that 50 dollars
>just so i can play games and anime without subtitles
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*breathes in*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i dont care if this is bait this is legitimately the funniest thing i've read today and i've killed 3 fembot threads
>>
>>37715968
cool
when do you get your medal of courage?
>>
File: 1494928660421.png (254KB, 472x410px) Image search: [Google]
1494928660421.png
254KB, 472x410px
Learn Chinese and be useful you stupid weeb fuck
>>
If that's all you're going to do with it, then yes, that is retarded.

You're spending money, just so you can spend more money on entertainment. And not even good japanese entertainment because you probably just want weebshit.
>>
don't do it anon, when you see what a mess kanji is you'll most likely give up, and the money is down the drain then
>>
>>37715842
Learn Spanish and Chinese if you're going to invest money into learning a foreign language. It isn't the 70's, Japanese is now a meme language.
>>
>>37716023
please explain how in the fuck Chinese is more useful than Japanese, GENUINELY curious here
>>
>>37715842
Just find some friends who speak it. Turns out my buddy from middle school speaks it fluently so I'm practicing everyday with him in discord.
>>
>>37716238
Yeah OP "just find some friends", if you can't do that you might as well kill yourself

fuck off to /soc/ you disgusting cretin
>>
>>37716238
Highly unlikely for me. Would that friend of yours be willing to teach a complete stranger?
>>
>>37715842
1. Use Anki for learning vocabulary (core6k deck). Review every day.
2. Study Tae Kim's grammar guide.
3. Read nigger, read! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4A1haySbx8
>>
>>37716175
This is so true. Kanji is the biggest hurdle. Hiragana and Katakana can be learned in a week, but Kanji you need a lot of motivation for.

I pretty much did what OP did but worse, went to uni to do Japanese (in debt) but now I'm sick of weebshit and anything remotely Japanese. Now I'm failing hard because I lack the motivation to carry on studying the damn language. I pretty much gave up on Kanji after the first few weeks, I'm supposed to know over 1000 or some shit but I only can write like 10 kanji total.

I made a big mistake and now I'll end up stacking shelves at the supermarket, but I don't care since I'm a humble slacker who only needs a computer and internet access.
>>
>>37715842
once you are able to hear japanese, you are going to find out that japanese voice actors also suck hard. so have fun ruining anime for yourself.
>>
>>37716175
>don't do it anon, when you see what a mess kanji is you'll most likely give up, and the money is down the drain then

Correct answer

t. fucking idiot who paid $3000 for a summer Japanese class
>>
>>37716227
They're going to be the largest economy in the world by the time you would be able to have finished learning it? While Japan has been stagnant for decades now?

Chinese is incomparably practical next to Japanese. The only reason to learn Japanese is WEEBSHIT!
>>
>>37716227
wait, you're genuinely being serious here?
>>
>>37716175
>>37716619
>>37716680
Are posts like these trying their absolute best to demoralize me?
>>
>>37716643
So those voices that seem to fit their characters so well, and the tone of voice which fits the story moment will suddenly sound bad? I don't get it.
>>
>>37716784
kanji is just that horrible, i love weebstuff as much as any other depraved fag on here but kanji was too perverse to not give up
>>
>>37716784
>Are posts like these trying their absolute best to demoralize me?

Not at all anon, I think learning Japanese can be very worthwhile, but I don't think paying that much is going to be worth it for you.

The biggest factor in your Japanese learning ability is going to be your motivation, not how much money you throw at a wall to learn the language.

Having a native Japanese speaker tutor will undeniably be helpful, but it's simply not needed until you've at least learned the basics. You don't need a Japanese expert to learn kana. You don't need a Japanese expert to learn basic Japanese grammar.

My advice to you - get to N5 on your own first to prove your dedication, then get a tutor to speed up the learning process.
>>
>>37715842
there's daily japanese threads on /int/, with all the resources and material you could need to start learning. Don't waste your money.
>>
>>37716784
I should add that if you have the money to blow then don't let us stop you lol.

Just think about what you would actually want to get out of this, and keep in mind that paying a tutor DOESN'T guarantee learning Japanese. Know what you are getting into before starting. It's a lot of work anon, and the vast majority of people who start the Japanese learning journey never get very far.
>>
File: 1493286719336.png (177KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1493286719336.png
177KB, 640x360px
>>37716699
This. I guarantee if you live in an area that isn't strictly known for its Japanese, Korean, and so on asian residents, more than 3/4ths of the asian people you meet are probably Chinese. The Chinese and Spanish are gonna take over the world man.

My father used to joke about forcing me to learn Chinese and I always told him I wish he was serious in that regard because if you know Chinese/English or Spanish/English you immediately become an asset wanted by a lot of people in the working world.
>>
>>37716915
i agree with this here post - tutor is more useful later on, and you don't know if you'll stick it out till that point. tutors are also more useful for learning to speak the language, obviously. but it sounds like you mostly want to be able to read/hear it.
>>
File: 1391053288588.jpg (22KB, 300x350px) Image search: [Google]
1391053288588.jpg
22KB, 300x350px
>>37715842
>$2k
No retard. Look online for Hiragana & Katakana charts and start practicing. Then once you got that down, buy RTK 1 (maybe RTK 2) by Heisig and learn Kanji yourself. Grand total <$30 and ~11 months. Passed JLPT N2 a month ago just by doing this. it's your money tho.

Originollio
>>
>>37717790
don't buy shit you can find online for free
>>
>>37717790
I'm somewhat retarded, and I think if there was a highly qualified person teaching me it I think I'd have a better chance of learning it. Me learning it myself is also shit cus I might drop it sooner or later due to lack of motivation. I want someone on my ass reminding to do this shit until I know it like the back of my hand
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.