[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here /nihilist/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: 1484253422288.jpg (16KB, 547x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484253422288.jpg
16KB, 547x480px
>how long have you been one
>did it ruin you or liberate you
>how often do you think about suicide
>hows life going in general

>been one for 2 years now
>ruined me when it comes to motivation liberated me in terms of giving a fuck about anything serious
>think about killing myself daily but I doubt I'll do it aby time soon
>life's looking ok rn I've some how manged to get into nursing school. Though a could see my lack of motivation being a big problem in the future it got in my way when I was doing my prereqs.
>>
>>37679736
nihilism is the cuck philosophy
>>
>>37679742
How so? Ac orgins
>>
cool band, don't think they're still together tho
>>
>>37679736
I've been a nihilist for a big part of my life before I found out there was a word for it its not ruining or liberating if its either of those you're missing the point
>>
>>37679736
The only way to escape nihilism is religion or some big ideology. As I'm not one for mindless belief, I can't do either of these. So I guess I'm stuck with nihilism.
>>
File: Frog_happy1.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
Frog_happy1.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>>37679736
I hate nihilism and nihilists, but I cannot deny that I am one myself because I know it is true.

since this year/maybe the end of last year honestly
neither, don't give a fuck either way
at least once a day, I've never really considered legit doing it tho
I am utterly stagnant
>>
>>37679736
I know that it's hard not to look up at the stars and feel utterly insignificant compared to them. Nothing you do matters to the universe, right?

At the same time, however, anything the universe does shouldn't matter to you either. That sun that exploded forty light years away has no meaning or impact on Earth or your life. On top of that, since Earth is the only observable planet we've found that has (sort of) intelligent life on it, then I can only conclude that Earth is one of the most important locations in the observable galaxy. That's just my thoughts anyway.
>>
>>37680074
but also the universe is deterministic and you have no free will
>>
>>37679736
who is that? I've seen multiple pics of him on here.
>>
>>37680074
>the most important place in the universe is the planet with monkeys who learned how to talk and drive cars
holy shit that is depressing
>>
>this entire thread
J U S T
>>
>>37679736
Idk, years.

First ruined then liberated.

Stopped thinking of it as often. Never considered it seriously.

Better than ever.

This last year for me has been amazing, I've done so much that I thought impossible previously (including losing my v card).
>>
>>37680719
Determinism is a self-refuting idea. If free will is an illusion and everything is predetermined, then the ultimate cause of why a person believes that free will is an illusion and everything is predetermined is that they were predetermined to do so.

Besides, if everything in the universe was always going to play out in a certain way, wouldn't it eventually be possible to predict what will happen next? The universe is the result of chance and circumstances, little probabilities that possess an infinite array of different outcomes. If it's all meant to happen in a certain way, then what is the mechanism guiding it? There must be something which causes all of it to occur as it did. Since we have no observable way of understanding if we really have no free will or if the universe really is deterministic, then it's just as logical to say we live in a probabilistic universe as it is to say we live in a deterministic one.

>>37680953
Those monkeys were swinging from branches and flinging shit at each other a few hundred thousand years ago. I'd say we're making some progress.
>>
>>37680982
Lotta bullshit.

World is deterministic and we know it by the fact that given specific conditions, an event will always have the exact same outcome. Science relies on that.

What makes the world "probabilistic" is not its lack of determinism, but the lack of a way of knowing all the conditions.

It's not that there's any randomness involved, it's that it is impossible to observe all of the factors involved to then give an accurate prediction.

And your "determinism is self refuting" makes is nonsensical.

What in reality makes determinism vs free will argument pointless is the fact that one cannot even define free will in terms that would make it incompatible with determinism. The only way to do that would to reduce free will to absolute randomness which would make sense only as a point of discussion but nothing to be seriously considered.
>>
>>37680982
>Determinism is a self-refuting idea. If free will is an illusion and everything is predetermined, then the ultimate cause of why a person believes that free will is an illusion and everything is predetermined is that they were predetermined to do so.

Could you explain why determinism is a self refuting idea because that sentence did not.
>>
>>37679736

Maybe ten years?
Of course not, i'm not weak.
Never
I'm stuck at a crossroads between risking my physical and mental health to maximize the amount of fun I can have or just going the safe road where I live a very long but lonely and stable life.
>>
>>37681057
Bitch deep down you KNOW which way to take.
>>
You don't 'become' a nihilist, you fall into nihilism and its your duty to climb back out
>>
>>37681036
Once again, there currently isn't any means to determine all of the outcomes, which means determinism has yet to be proven as a hard fact. And once you're able to predict all outcomes, wouldn't it then be possible to change them? Or I suppose that would also be determinism because you were always meant to change that outcome.

>>37681054
Coming to the realisation that the universe is pre-determined was a pre-determined outcome, which ultimately makes this conclusion a meaningless one because you cannot change the outcome even if you're aware of it being pre-determined and you were always meant to be a deeply depressed individual posting on a chinese rice farming blue board.
>>
>>37681178
It will never be possible to know all of the factors. It is a physical impossibility that I can explain basically like this
>imagine you have a 500 character story
>now you need to describe that story
>with the same 500 letters, so you can only rearrange the characters
>the longer your description becomes, the more will the original story be distorted
>it is impossible to describe the story in such a way that would more look like the original than the original itself

So you either have to accept the fact that many things have to be left out of the description (smaller things that you cannot take into account) for the sake of having the main gist of the story be accurately presented (probabilistic predictions).

I'm not sure if you get the point but that's what makes complete prediction impossible.
>>
>>37681178
And determinism is proven by the fact that you can experiment over and over again with a simple set of identical conditions and have the exact same result every time.

For example dropping a set of balls in one specific pattern, so that they bump into each other and surroundings every time the exact same way (has to be done mechanically because hand isn't accurate enough).
>>
File: WT9dEXYAEkMZ.jpg (21KB, 390x310px) Image search: [Google]
WT9dEXYAEkMZ.jpg
21KB, 390x310px
>>37681063
>duty
>>
I have no idea what I am really. I believe all of these words we use are just that, human words. We operate through human brains. I believe that the human brain and the brain system in general is a self-serving unnecessarily survival acclimated malfunction. Human and animal language, coexistence and supposed species-based intelligence is a disgusting amalgamation of a less than noteworthy nightmare. The tips of my fingers that may or may not alter any singular destiny of this planet or any place in time space are no better or worse than the nightmares I have at night. I am communicating my words to you, and every last word no matter what order they're arranged in, no matter how coherent or not, are a byproduct similar to the stench of feces. I could kill the vessel in which I communicate to save the trouble of all of this, but whether it's dead or alive doesn't matter. Every last possible concept that the human brain can think up doesn't matter. Language is dead to me. I don't believe in anything. I only hold out hope that when the human "I" dies that there's no more pain or self-awareness.
>>
bump because nothing matters anyway
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.