[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name an interesting hobby or pastime. Whichever seems the most

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 15

File: 1496271271907.png (389KB, 381x754px) Image search: [Google]
1496271271907.png
389KB, 381x754px
Name an interesting hobby or pastime.

Whichever seems the most interesting in this thread, I will devote all of my free time to, in the next week.

After 1 week, I will post my results. (At this time, next Friday.)
>>
>Name an interesting hobby or pastime.

drinking
>>
>>37593622
Rock climbing
originally
>>
Learning a constructed language (conlang) like Esperanto or Elvish
>>
Go to a model shop, buy a Gunpla or plastic model kit. Build it and post results.
>>
>>37593663
So far, this is the most interesting...

But rock climbing could be cool too. I just don't know where I'd do that around here. (I'm sure there are places. I just don't know where. But that's part of the whole experience, right?!)
>>
>>37593683
This looks like a really complicated 3D puzzle. I've always thought they seemed kind of cool. Are there ones not associated with Gundam? Just like a generic mech?
>>
>>37593711
Conlangs are super cool! There are easy ones (like Esperanto, which any European can pick up with ease), and there are harder ones (some even have their own writing systems). After you get a knack for it you could make your own!
>>
>>37593747
SD sets are for beginners
HG sets are not that difficult I just picked it up and finished 2 HG sets they have very simple instructions

Avoid MG and PG sets they cost like $60+ and are super complex
>>
Do Parkour originally, nigger

Get arrested for it
>>
>>37593747
There's definitely generic mech ones
If you have too much money and you need to get rid of it fast you could get into war gaming and if you really just enjoy being poor Warhammer
>>
Larping and shooting people with my foam arrows. It's the only day I get a chance to hang out with people like me
>>
All the hobbies posted so far are stupid and generic as fuck. Get into birdwatching nigga.
>>
Woodworking. But traditional. No power tools. I suggest getting some 2 x4s and try to make something.
>>
>>37593852
>posts the most generic boomer-tier hobby possible
>>
fursuiting. make one nigga
>>
>>37593622
I use copper and silver wire to wrap minerals into jewelry, pretty relaxing and you can make money.
>>
File: anthony-perkins.jpg (93KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
anthony-perkins.jpg
93KB, 852x480px
>taxidermy
>dressing up as your mother and murdering unsuspecting customers
>>
fencing is really fun, good exercise, and an intellectually stimulating game (unless you fence sabre lmao)
>>
>>37593622

oh my fucking god

sauce on the whore in the OP?
>>
File: Petitgguy.jpg (387KB, 1195x2124px) Image search: [Google]
Petitgguy.jpg
387KB, 1195x2124px
>>37593786
Actually, HG are great for beginners. The farther in grades you go doesn't mean the more complex it is. It just means you'll be doing more of the same steps for the finished results.

I got into the hobby pretty young with an HG Zaku II, and built and MG Gouf as my second kit. Just pick out what you like and what's in your budget and build. Although, I'd recommend working on a HG first to get a hand of skills like nub removal and cleaning. And I wouldn't jump into PG first since they're really expensive.

And remember: always look up kits. Although the complexity may not change in different grades, there comes a quality factor that could make your building experience fun or not. . If you want generic mechs, I'd look into Kotobukiya and their Frame Arms series.
>>
>>37593683
Always wanted to get into that but i don't know where to start :(
Any tips?
>>
File: 1487509423970.jpg (89KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1487509423970.jpg
89KB, 1000x800px
>>37594095
ty for the info just got into the hobby and after looking at the MG images thought it was super hard.

I might save up for a MG as my next set
>>
Metalworking.

If you can afford it, obviously. Not a hobby for those with little $$$, unless you know people.

It's rewarding as all fuck to create things with your hands and to see your learning and knowledge pay off into a material object that can last for many years. It's also a way to reconnect with an older feeling, something lost in today's world.
>>
>>37594133

Following up on this because might as well give OP as many options as possible, but glassblowing is also rewarding in the same sort of vein. It's all about creation, and building things is such a great feeling that breaks away the slumber of the average electronics-dominated day.
>>
>>37594154
I've always wanted to do glassblowing
What do you make glassanon?
>>
File: uuughh.jpg (185KB, 747x1328px) Image search: [Google]
uuughh.jpg
185KB, 747x1328px
>>37594121
There are generals on /toy/ and /m/ that have helpful guides on getting started. If you don't want to go looking for them, the HGUC Revive RX-78 2 is a great starter kit. Easy to build, great quality, and one of the most famous Gundams.

All you really need to start are a pair of nippers to cut the pieces off the runners, and a modeling knife to shave the nubs down. Sanding paper is a good investment as well if you really want a smooth finish after cutting down nubs. You'll learn as your go and start getting more tools to help your building go smoothly.
>>37594125
Just take your time on kits. That's what is great about the hobby. No rush and you get an nice product out of it. Hope you enjoy the hobby. It can get addicting.
>>
Dont fall for the wargaming meme unless you are willing to burn a ton of money up front

I thought whats the harm of grabbing some basic tools and a model kit..

Next thing i know ive spent $600 and ive barely started buying the actual model army..
>>
>>37594234
If you're interested in wargaming without dumping money, you could just invest in a decent printer and do paper craft for the models instead.
>>
File: 1495075136984.jpg (20KB, 170x273px) Image search: [Google]
1495075136984.jpg
20KB, 170x273px
Boxing, archery, TKD, gymnastics or breakdancing desu. You get to have fun and train your body. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
>>
>>37594234
I love Warhammer but I don't own a single model. I'm gonna wait until 3D printing gets better/cheaper, fuck GW.
>>
I've practiced archery for years. Very fun, very rewarding and you get the chance to really see yourself improve and witness your efforts pay off. Gets all the masculinity of shooting without having to purchase ammunition all the time (or deal with the stigma/regulations of firearms in places that aren't the American South/Midwest). Not a particularly expensive hobby either; bows can be a bit costly, but a good one can last quite a while. I've been using my current recurve for years.
>>
Lockpicking
HEMA
Falconry
>>
File: 1489042290239.jpg (254KB, 786x918px) Image search: [Google]
1489042290239.jpg
254KB, 786x918px
playing pipe organ
>>
>>37594125
Also, careful of RGs. While they may have the detail of a PG kit, they're known to be a bit.. flimsy? Depending on the model that is. A lot of tiny pieces, so I'd definitely look hard for information in you ever go for RGs.
>>
File: IMG_1385.png (1019KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1385.png
1019KB, 750x1334px
Chess if you're a wannabe smartfag, can always pour a lot of time into it
>>
File: 1490417412319.jpg (14KB, 205x203px) Image search: [Google]
1490417412319.jpg
14KB, 205x203px
>>37594372
>mfw my first kit was an RG Zeta
I had to superglue it together to keep it from exploding, but unfortunately that also destroyed the transformation.
>>
I'm still here, by the way.

There have been a lot of good recommendations so far. I like archery (But I already own and practice with a couple primitive bows.)

I like the conlang idea and the mech models. Also, anything pertaining to physical activity is a good idea too.

I'd learn the pipe organ, but what about just a keyboard? I'm pretty sure I saw an old keyboard at Goodwill for 10 bucks.
>>
>>37594451
Get it! Playing piano is an amazing way to just let off some steam.
>>
>>37594448
Hehe. Yee, the fucking Zeta Gundam. At least the MK-II is perfect. That's all that matters.
>>
>>37593663
Mi lernis jam esperanton. Sed mi neniam parolis kun esperantisto. Mi scivolas kial mi lernis la lingvon.
>>
>>37593792
>There's definitely generic mech ones
Where can I find generic mechs? It would be cool to piece together something that's like a tank mech or a smaller mech the size of D.Va's from Overwatch or Tank Police.

(I ask because I have a ruleset for a minis game that partains to that sort of mech.)
>>
>>37594290
>boxing
I've been trying for over two years. But I'm too much of an anxious robot to be any good. I'm still afraid to hit someone.;_;
>>
>>37593749
He common is Esperanto?

If I learn it, will I actually be able to speak to anyone?
>>
>>37594319
>>37594290
>>37594451
>tried archery years ago
>liked it
>start reading all the autistic club rules
>start reading all the state hunting rules
>dont live in a remote area to practice at home

Quit right after my basics test.Would be a perfect hobby if i was a farm anon.
>>
File: HG_Gundam_Barbatos.jpg (146KB, 800x505px) Image search: [Google]
HG_Gundam_Barbatos.jpg
146KB, 800x505px
>>37594451
Protip, if you do buy a gundam kit, get an IBO kit.
They're relatively cheap beginner friendly builds, and the end results are usually very pleasing.
>>
>>37594451

Don't know how primitive a primitive bow is, but for under $200 you can get a pretty decent recurve bow that will allow you to hone your skill in the sport. Carbon arrows with blunt target heads aren't very expensive, either; investing in the proper equipment's a long-term buy that can keep you going for quite a while.

Shit, get that and the keyboard. Music and physical activity is a great one-two hobby and activity combo that lets you build both hemispheres of the brain, stay active, and really improve as a man.
>>
>>37594576

Dunno where you live, but I'm in the DC area (which can be a real stickler about guns) and there are several public ranges around even this shitpile of a city. Hunting's a different story, but have you looked into state/nat'l park service-owned areas that have public archery ranges?
>>
>>37594576
My gf's family owns a farm out in the middle of nowhere. That's where I do most of my practicing. Actually nabbed a groundhog out there, too. It was kind of cool.
>>
>>37594535
Look at Frame Arms kits by Kotobukiya like mentioned earlier.
>>37594581
This. There may be varying opinions on IBO as a show, but their MS designs are great and the kits are even greater. 1/100 Grimgerde is possibly the best IBO kit in my opinion.
>>
>>37594575
There are online clubs for people to meet other people who speak it
The goal of the language is to promote communication between europeans
>>
>>37594585
I mentioned archery because I'm already familiar with it and consider it one of my hobbies, so it would kind of be "cheating". My primitive bows are handmade recurve bows. They were about 140$ a piece, and have lasted me a few years. Archery's a fun and relaxing hobby.
>>
>>37594607
I live in Australia. Not sure if we have public ranges or if the club counts as one.

Its pretty cheap but you had to take up supervisor duties, move markers around, follow strict safety procedures etc..

I just wanted somewhere to come, shoot arrows for however long and leave.
At best i have a wooded park nearby, but you just know one stray arrow flies past a jogger and i wouldnt hear the end of it
>>
>>37594634
>Look at Frame Arms kits by Kotobukiya

>First one is a badass knight looking mech holding a scifi great sword
>Legitimately get a bit of a chub, not even joking
>Have the strangest urge to touch myself

ANON WHAT IS GOING ON I'M SCARED, IS THIS NORMAL?!?!
>>
>>37594718
People don't call model kits Plastic Crack for nothing, anon.
>>
>>37594728
Well, this seens like the hobby I might want to try out.

No joke, I'm getting hard right now, and I don't know why.

How customizable are these things, exactly? Once I start building one can I out different parts on it? You know what? Maybe I should go do some research...
>>
>>37594765
>can I out different parts on it
All depends on the series of kits. But most should be customizable and be able the swap parts. Good luck!
>>
Deconstructing machines and putting them back together in new ways
>>
File: 1463679579301.gif (981KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1463679579301.gif
981KB, 500x375px
>>37594765
>Maybe I should go do some research...
>>>/m/gunpla
>>>/toy/gunpla
Threads found here have links in the OPs that should help.
Also these threads do monthly group builds where they customize the shit out of kits by painting them and remixing their parts with ones from other kits. Some of them are truly sights to behold.
>>
Salt dough is inexpensive. Google the recipe - you mix salt, flour and water to a dough, then make stuff from it, like with clay.

Air dry for a week or in the oven for 4-6 hours. Paint with acrylics, optionally varnish.

If you have paints and stuff lying around it's a cheap hobby.

What's cool is you don't need to be a master sculptor, you get away with simple shit, like a head is just a ball with some garlic-pressed dough on it. The painting makes the difference.

Be aware, if you google for pictures, there's a ton of kids doing it and their creations are obviously shit. There are books by adults with some amazing stuff in them.

>inb4 grandma
At least I have a hobby. And a cheap one.
>>
>>37593858
Im curious as to what one could make with a 2x4
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.