[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you drive a manual transmission car?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 15

File: shifter.jpg (99KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
shifter.jpg
99KB, 1280x850px
Can you drive a manual transmission car?
>>
i can but i suck at it and haven't done it in like 15 years
>>
>>37562387
Hell no. I prefer to dick around on my phone while driving.
>>
Yes my father taught me.
>>
>>37562387
I don't have my license so no.
>>
>>37562387
Yes I can, is that supposed to be hard or something?
>>
>>37562387
Only retards can't
>>
>>37562387
Yeah. I barely knew how beyond the general concept, but I bought one off the lot. It's a great car and I enjoy being able to coast downhill on long trips.
>>
no

I don't know how you're supposed to learn unless you have a dad who is like a real man (I don't have a dad at all). You can't really just go buy a car and drive it off the lot if you don't know how to drive manual.

ironic for me since I really want an Evo but I wouldn't be able to drive one
>>
>>37562387
I always hear praise for manual or assertions that it's the masculine method of driving. Why is this? What exactly am I missing out on?
>>
Yes, my Civic is a manual. I think it helps keep me focused on the road by giving me more to do, even though it doesn't require much extra thought.
>>
>>37562387
>Be me
>Not an American
Got your answer
>>
>>37562446
It's old fashioned and requires skill and some strength, plus it looks cooler
>>
>>37562446
anyone who says it's a 'masculine method of driving' is a DUDE CARS BRO LMAO retard and you shouldn't listen to them.

it's annoying, especially if you live in a city with a lot of traffic. there aren't many benefits, but all the idiots will say that "hurr it's more fuel efficient!" even though that hasn't been true for like 20 fucking years
>>
>>37562446
The satisfaction of changing gears while cornering and your music kicks in.
>>
yes and auto is for babies who prefer to drive go-karts
>>
Yes because I'm a britbong and just about every car on the road here is manual transmission.
When you learn to drive you are expected to learn in a manual.

Automatics are for beta females and old people anyway
>>
>>37562387
Yeah, just bought my self a manual and learn by my self with the help of youtube
>>
>>37562387
Yes, I kill it all the damn time though.
>>
Yeah because only people willing to invest in better cars drive auto in my country. Most cars are manual, especially the more affordable ones.
>>
If you drive RWDs with an auto you've failed in life
>>
File: 1466513803056.png (156KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1466513803056.png
156KB, 1200x900px
Yes cause I'm not a god damn Amerishart.
>>
>dad has some special license where he can drive fucking anything with wheels including heavy mining equipment
>doesn't bother teaching me how to drive anything but an automatic- shittily, at that, doesn't stop screaming the whole time we're in the vehicle together

I feel robbed.
>>
>>37562387

yes, and I love it

good thing nobody drives automatics where I live, and it's usually seen as something for people with low mental capacities
>>
>>37562387
Yes. Driving stick being hard or cool in any way is a normie meme.

Oh wow I put my left foot down on a pedal and moved the gearshift. Really impressive.
>>
Yes. Where i live only people with learning disabilities drive automatics. If you can't understand and operate a manual gearbox you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place.
>>
>>37562847

Only in America. The rest of the world (yes including women - old and stupid women at that) drive manual cars.
>>
>>37562387
Yes. My first 2 cars were automatics, a Mustang and a Volvo. I decide that I wasn't going to make that mistake again and bought a manual SE-R that ended up being a lemon. I now own a 5 speed Fiat 500 and can honestly say that a manual transmission allows more control over your car and better performance.
>>
PFFFFT oh you have to manually change the gear? That is baby time frolics for me. I modified my car so that I have to manually operate the fuel pump as well, a good long stroke of the pump to keep it pressurized every 5-10 seconds. I also made the turn signals manual because I'm not a lazy fucker that needs a computer to make it click on and off when I turn, so I have a little light switch I have to click up and down rhythmically before I turn. Even my airbags are manual, I just have to light a small fuse under my steering wheel a few seconds before I crash. Feels good to be a REAL MAN.
>>
File: BIG KEK.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BIG KEK.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>Americans can't operate simple gearboxes as standard practice
>>
File: howtospot.jpg (36KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
howtospot.jpg
36KB, 728x546px
>It's the episode where everyone that drives stick posts ITT for mini confidence boost.

>It's the episode where that guy says driving stick doesn't make you cool, but still makes the point that he drives stick, thus making him cool.
>>
File: 1496676184216.jpg (1MB, 3104x1426px) Image search: [Google]
1496676184216.jpg
1MB, 3104x1426px
>>37562387
American here

I don't think I've ever even been inside a manual transmission car, so I haven't the slightest idea. I don't want to learn either, because driving is stressful enough as is without having to operate the gearbox yourself, but I may have to because I travel a lot.
>>
>>37562553
>it's annoying, especially if you live in a city with a lot of traffic.
when I was wagecucking I spent over an hour a day stuck in traffic in my manual car. After a surprisingly short period of time it stops being bothersome. You get used to it and can do it without thinking.

>all the idiots will say that "hurr it's more fuel efficient!" even though that hasn't been true for like 20 fucking years
It's not nearly as big a difference as it used to be, but it still get you an extra mpg or two, all else equal. The bigger reason to do it is that it's less expensive to maintain than an automatic, and less expensive to repair or replace if it does break.

>>37562962
>>37562991
Most Burgers value convenience uber alles. They're also lazy.

t. burger
>>
File: item1430249_600px.jpg (78KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
item1430249_600px.jpg
78KB, 700x525px
Why would americans learn to drive manual transmission when their vehicles don't have any transmission?
>>
>>37562387
of course. it's a weird question to me tho, is driving autimatic even a thing on its own? i get females, some of them can't get their grasp around manuals so they drive automatic. but let's say you are needed to drive a manual transmission all of a sudden you don't know how to drive?

unless you can't drive a manual car you shouldn't classify as a driver.
>>
>>37562847
It's not cool, but it can be satisfying.
>>
>>37562553
>it's annoying, especially if you live in a city with a lot of traffic
Unless you live in a place that has tons of hills, it really doesn't take that much more effort than an auto while in traffic. And if you think it does, you're just being extremely lazy.
>>
>>37563429
that man is Canadian tbf
>>
Fuck no im usually way too drunk for that shit. I'll keep my automatic
>>
>all these filthy yanks
auto drivers are literally second class citizens in Europe
>>
>>37562991
>be an American and can drive manual
>realise that the benchmark for being a "superior European" is learning something that I mastered at 17 years old.
>wonder what will happen first - another terrorist attack or the fall of the EU...
>>
No, I'm American. I don't know anybody that can drive manual.
>>
yea what's the prob with that
>>
File: 1355772403715.jpg (35KB, 298x292px) Image search: [Google]
1355772403715.jpg
35KB, 298x292px
I taught myself how to drive manual. I had both parents in my life, but they didn't really teach my any life lessons/survival skills so I taught myself, more or less, everything. I played Forza for a number of years on the hardest difficulty and on manual, then I decided on buying my own manual car. At first it was tricky and I stalled a lot, but once I got the hang of it and remembered what I did in Forza it became second nature.

You have no excuse to not learn how to drive manual.
>>
i can but honestly id be afraid to get on a big road with one. ive drove a gas car and it would stall easily but ive moved a couple diesl pickups and diesels required no throttle just ease off the clutch.

how are you supposed to poke around in a parking lot or start on a hill? in a parkibg lot can you just slip the clutch so youre not goibg as fast in 1st gear?

also hpw hard is it to drive a mack truck? id love to drive one
>>
File: pepe pc.png (127KB, 486x456px) Image search: [Google]
pepe pc.png
127KB, 486x456px
I know how to drive a smei truck anon
>>
>>37563022
>It's the episode where we discuss a minor aspect of life and this guy makes a show of being an insecure faggot
>>
>>37562387
Yes. Got my first one when i was 18. I bought my current car new in 2012, and being manual was one of the only requirements.
>t. Yank that isn't an autofag
>>
>>37565407
bad ass how hard is it? especially getting used to double clutching and getting gears to go in

how did you study for the prettrip inspection on the cdl test?
>>
Yes. But i don't particulary love it. I prefer automatics, especially in a city. I want to be taken from point A to B. I don't really need to be heavily involved in the process.
>>
>>37565552
how does one creep along in traffic? can you just ease off the clutch where its half engauged or "slipping" to move slower?

also for hill starts isnt it let off the clutch till it bites then release the break and give it throttle?
>>
File: 1469906260004.jpg (563KB, 1616x1898px) Image search: [Google]
1469906260004.jpg
563KB, 1616x1898px
>>37562553
>it's annoying, especially if you live in a city with a lot of traffic

I think it's easier. My car makes enough torque that I can crawl in 2nd if need be, but if no one is moving I can just take it out of gear instead of standing on the brake in D, fighting against my own torque converter.

Also it is more fuel efficient than a standard automatic (pretty sure DCTs and CVTs are better tho) for two main reasons.
1. Torque converters will never quite match the transmission efficiency of gears on gears
2. Manuals allow savvy drivers to stay in more fuel efficient ranges and drive how they please (just google hypermilling)
>>
>>37562553
>there aren't many benefits
>cheaper maintenance, more control, better fuel efficiency aren't benefits

Hmmmm
>>
>>37565464
I went to a school, I got a grant from the government and didn't have to pay a dime of my own money. If you're a neet,they will pay your way to go to the school. The pre-trip is easy as fuck since they gave us a book.

Double clutching is tough but you'll get it in time.
>>
>>37565595
For hill starts i have the handbrake on, apply the clutch and gas, then take of the handbrake as i give more gass and move off.

As for creeping, i just use the clutch and the gas together a bit. Release the clutch, engage the clutch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hr1OGZnyRI&t=40s
>>
>>37563429
>tfw you realize this is the primary motivation behind Tesla

eLeCtRiC cArS dUn NeEd A tRaNsMiSsIoN cUz ToRqUe
>>
Yes, if you want a job anywhere you have to.
>>
>>37565595
If your car has low end torque then it should roll at idle rpms in 2nd
>>
>>37565619
how long did it take to learn how to drive one? im around them all day at work and do stuff like service them and helped put in a clutch but ive never drove one.

just a question but do you have to be more conservative with using the air brakes than you would in a car? like not to lose air pressurenor pver heat them?
>>
>>37565619
I always thought rowing through 16 gears was more annoying than just double clutching
>>
File: image.jpg (93KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 1000x1000px
Okay so I can drive a five speed but i moved my friends pickup and it looked like puc related and had a springy feel between reverse and the other gets but i couldnt tell which gear i was going into becaise with a five speed move it to left once or right once but this had no barriers in it

was i bot doing it right or am i just stupid to think it wasnharder to drive?
>>
Been driving a 5 speed manual for 3 years and just switched to 6 speed. People automatically think you're more intelligent when you're able to drive one (especially millennials) plus it's just more fun, period. Only sucks in city and traffic
>>
>>37565619
So what gear do you leave it in at stoplights? What about brief stops? Can you start in 3rd gear?
>>
>>37565756
Glad the car i drive have a 'ring' in the middle of the gear shift that you pull up to move the lever into reverse. I can see why for example your picture is annoying because it's not easy to know which gear you may be in.
>>
File: 1495916084028.jpg (11KB, 255x197px) Image search: [Google]
1495916084028.jpg
11KB, 255x197px
>>37562405
>ride with friend in his auto tragic
>he keeps pulling out his phone and dicking around on Goychat
>he dosn't pay attention to traffic for shit

I fucking hate people like this. Get off your fucking phone for a few minutes Jesus Christ. I'm thankful I drive a manual though.
>>
I mean on modern cars today pretty much all of them are sold with an automatic transmission. Manual is being phased out, and there isn't really a good reason to get one if you want a new car. Sure being able to drive a manual is good, but no reason to really have one.
>>
Yes, my car is manual. I'm god awful at shifting when I am over tired though.
>>
File: 1469675613921.jpg (17KB, 363x334px) Image search: [Google]
1469675613921.jpg
17KB, 363x334px
>>37562387
>"Dude, you don't know how to drive manual? Hahaha, every real man knows how, and you aren't a man until you learn. It's easy man."
>"Huh, what's that? No I won't teach you! Yes I've taught all my family members and even my 13 year old sister how, even in the same exact car, but I won't teach you. You'll fuck up the transmission."
Every. Fucking. Time.
>>
>>37565812
>So what gear do you leave it in at stoplights?
4th
What about brief stops?
try to downshift,if not possible press service breaks
Can you start in 3rd gear?
you can start in one if you like,
>>
File: 1446243743815.jpg (38KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1446243743815.jpg
38KB, 400x388px
>when you stall in a traffic light crossroads or any place where there cars behind you and in front of you waiting
>>
>>37565693
>how long did it take to learn how to drive one?
2 weeks
>just a question but do you have to be more conservative with using the air brakes than you would in a car?

I use the smith system. I know when the lights are about to change by judging the traffic on all lanes
>>
>>37565891
thanks bud

ive changed a lot of drum brakes on macks and always wondered how they stop like that
>>
>>37565715
I never touched any truck other than a 10 speed truck. i never went 16
>>
>>37565812
You are not in gear when at stop light, foot on brake, it is safer this way. When you have like 5 sec to moving you can go to first gear. If you are crawling in jam there are more efficient ways to move, but it depends on the car and how the clutch is. On my personal car in this kind of situation i rotate my foot about 45 degrees inwards and alternate with heel pres on gas pedal and toes on break so I can move faster. As for if you can start with other gear - depends on the car. I have driven 6 speed opel that had 1st and 2nd gear almost the same ratio, and the stick was very stiff with bad very high clutch. I started on second it was no a problem unless you are stoping uphill. I strongly advice not to start on third or higher if you don't want to visit car repair soon.
>>
>>37562387
haha im so weak i cant even drive a car
>>
>>37566298
oh no i meant on a heavy truck since he said semi truck

trucks are different, you only press the clutch all the way down when first starting off since you have a disc behind the clutch called the clutch brake that makes the gears slow down and then ypu only pressbit halfway down to change gears
>>
>>37562387
I drove a manual in britbong land back in the 90s would love to do it again but since moving to fast food land (Murica) haven't had a chance to
>>
Yes but I have an automatic right now. I really don't see the point though.
>>
File: 1445189686366.png (138KB, 522x590px) Image search: [Google]
1445189686366.png
138KB, 522x590px
>>37562387
yea, its fucking chore too. holy shit driving is so boring when you live in the city.
>>
>live in a 3rd world shithole
>every cheap car is manual but every sporty or luxury car is automatic

I fucking hate this. I've been trying to find a good RWD car with manual and good power for months but haven't found anything good.
>>
I don't drive. I would just slam into a wall or drive off a cliff or jump out on the freeway or crash into a truck
>>
Are there any femanons that drive stick? That would be pretty hot desu
>>
Pic related. Its really fun, but also uncomfortable in traffic/bumpy roads. I'm so glad I bought a fun manual car. Its like a bought a hobby along with the car. Now I'm collecting tools to start working on my car and upgrading it. 8/10 will definetly do again
>>
>>37562525
>some strength
clutch cowboy your supposed to homo wrist it
>college grad virgin who said fuck it and drives a cabover for a lumber company
>>
Have you guys had your first collision yet? Got my license in January, i have had some close calls here and there and im not a good driver yet. But i hope the day where i crash won't come
>>
>>37566777
it also nigger proofs your car in milwaukee
>>
File: Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec--V.jpg (695KB, 1920x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec--V.jpg
695KB, 1920x1152px
>>37566767

Forgot pic,

YOU HAVE BEEN MUTED FOR 2 SECONDS

FUCK YOU ROBOCUNT
>>
How hard are manual cars to get for you americans? Is it unusual to see a manual car over there?
>>
>>37562387
>2017
>Rowing your own gears like a caveman
>>
>>37566901
Most of the time you see a manual gearshift, it's in a sportier car driven by an enthusiast. Some shitboxes/average DDs come in manual, but they're a minority.
>>
only women drive manual
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.