[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Death of Brandon Vedas

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Have you ever felt that attention or recognition would be worth paying for with your own life?

The answer might seem like a clear "no," but you'd be surprised to learn what percentage of the population thinks otherwise.

Consider the case of Brandon Vedas, a young man who died in 2003 of a drug overdose, seemingly to prove to his internet friends that he was hardcore.

I was reading about Vedas's story when I came across pic related. The author considers Vedas's death a work of art, and makes a compelling case that indeed it was.

To quote the author of the piece,

> "The mere fact that I am writing this thread over his death, 3 years after it happened, it proof enough that attention has been paid.

I thought about it a lot, and I realized that yes, indeed, Brandon Vedas achieved attention. Fame is, along with money and power, one of the 3 most important signs of status, and Vedas has surely exceeded me by that metric.

Yes, attention WAS paid. I'm still not sure, however, that I can consider this death a work of art. If overdosing on drugs is art, what isn't art? By such a low standard, this post is art.

Yet at the same time, Vedas did create a spectacle to which people paid attention. His internet persona outlived his physical husk and may well continue to live into eternity. That alone is something.
>>
>>37525726
Just because someone remembers you does not mean your life was 'art'.
>>
You can't enjoy the attention when you're dead though.
>>
>>37525783
Define "dead".
>>
>>37525909
There is no electrical signals in your brain anymore and your heart isn't beating.
>>
>>37525932
Define what connects a specific brain to a specific identity without using circular logic. If you can't then there is no reason to assume that identity exists in the first place because the model works without it.
>>
Art is itself a nebulous concept, but it can be argued that this was a kind of accidental performance art if you find that it has an emotional resonance with you, the viewer.
Though, I do think it is kind of contrary to art to say that art can be created on accident, brandon was trying to "perform" for his friends by showing them he was hardcore, so that alone signals intent to create imo.
>>
>>37526018
Production from an origin point, like a base node, a lens of identity with a unique organization.
>>
>Brandon Vedas
Literally who?

Anyone with an "internet persona" is mentally inferior, weak for wanting so much attention, and incredibly pathetic to watch. I have a couple of these on my normiebook/instagram accounts and my god they're so fuUcKING annoying holy shit.
>>
>>37525779
this basically

becoming a short-lived meme (how many people on 4chan right now would know wtf you were talking about if you said "i told u i was hardcore," i wonder) is not art

the OP quote is meaninglessly pretentious and doesn't even satisfy the basic requirements of being an insufferable douchebag about art, which would involve the OP actually explaining what "art" is and how this event is "art" by that definition.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.