[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tomorrow is my first time working retail (have only done odd

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: asdfdfsdfs.jpg (36KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
asdfdfsdfs.jpg
36KB, 720x480px
Tomorrow is my first time working retail (have only done odd jobs and construction in the past).

What are the best/worst things about it?
>>
Worst parts: Everything

Best parts: When your shift ends
>>
>>37522334
You are soon going to hate people.

If you already hate people, you are soon going to REALLY hate them.
>>
File: thumbs up 2.gif (599KB, 260x216px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up 2.gif
599KB, 260x216px
>>37522334
Customers can be cunts sometimes, mostly middle aged to older women and men. Old ladies are especially cunty.

Depends on the company mostly, but usually you have to be a complete braindead fuckup to get fired.

Just go in and give your 100% effort everyday and you should be fine OP.
>>
>>37522334
Eh... I worked retail for half a year (got fired) and it really wasn't that bad at all. Just learn how to look busy and people rarely bother you. Also: Working the register is comfy as fuck, desu.
>>
>>37522334
OP if you're not a misanthrope now that will change very quickly. I don't say this often, but I feel bad for retail workers. You picked the worst time too since there's a ton of layoffs and closings from places like Walmart, Target and Amazon ass raping everyone. At least the warehouse stores are somewhat safe, I do like Home Depot. If you're not stuck at the cash register or something though I'd imagine things will be much better for you.
>>
>>37522428
I have anxiety about the cashier, I feel like i"m gonna fuck something up and get fired. Hope I don't get it too often desu
>>
>>37522334
Worst parts: on your feet a lot, sometimes heavy lifting

Best parts: you really learn how to talk to people and develop a passion for customer service. It's not a meme, you genuinely have to like helping people. Don't be autistic, don't be afraid to smile or say hi
>>
>>37522433
just don't work in lumber and you're good at HD and Lowe's
nobody liked plumbing but i kind of liked the problem solving when i chose to hang out there. also plumbing manager was sexy
>>
Best parts: you are usually allowed to help yourself to food in the store. also if youi have a laid back manager or co workers they can be fun to talk to.

Worst parts: Uptight or mentally slow customers may disrespect you or ask unreasonable things of you. Also if you have a cunty micro-managing manager it can be hell
>>
>>37522459
just don't be short in your till a bunch of times and cashier is fine.
>>
File: 1494354386261.jpg (145KB, 620x758px) Image search: [Google]
1494354386261.jpg
145KB, 620x758px
>>37522334
It all depends on customers, management, and the specific type of job.
Basically, look for these signs:
> company is stable and not closing stores en masse, usually it makes it really hard on employees as conditions deteriorate
> store is not terribly busy, look for this if you're doing something like night stocker, the volume of the store during daytime makes a huge difference if you're being worked like a slave or a real comfy job
> located in a good neighborhood--you don't want to deal with the dregs of society as customers
> management is easy to deal with, try to get to know your immediate boss before you sign anything
>>
>>37522411
It's Big Lots so it should be pretty simple. I doubt it even gets too busy.
>>
i was exactly like you op, construction past. retail is fucking easy, no heavy lifting. its easy as fuck. you can steal a lot of stuff just don't get caught. girl customers may flirt with you. the bad things are shit pay, working on public holidays/weekends
>>
>>37522673
Retail isn't easy for an autistic fuck like me. I don't mind talking to people in general but I have no idea how I'm gonna handle getting yelled at by a customer
>>
going from a comfy IT job where 98% of the time I'm not talking to anyone face to face, worked from home 3 out of 5 days and had maybe 10-20 support tickets per day (ie 3-5 hours of real work and 3+ hours of watching anime, playing video games, and jacking off, or just browsing 4chan if I was on site) to working retail was literally the most painful period of my life. It sucked more than high school, it sucked more than no gf
>>
>>37522717
95% of people were actually pretty friendly when I worked retail
>>
>>37522717
since working in retail(8months) its improved my speech. when i started i was mumbling and stuttering talking to customers, but it quickly went.

if a customer yells at you for whatever he is dissatisfied with then tell them sorry you are just the cashier and call your supervisor to help them. just make sure u are safe don't be a hero
>>
>>37522475
>you really learn how to talk to people and develop a passion for customer service

ha no
it only made me good at being a complete phony as necessary
the only thing that i should have ever told every customer is: don't waste your money on this fucking garbage
>>
I am hearing about a "Retail Apocalypse" in the boomer media (eg blomberg, forbes)

can anyone on the ground corroborate? Is retail really getting destroyed by Amazon? No armchair NEET economists pls
>>
>>37523038
like i'd give a portfoliofag hot tips
>>
>>37522334

There's a dozen things that need to be done, but customers can keep holding you back from other job responsibilities. You will always feel like there should be more people working or that you need to be faster.
>>
File: 4980394820.jpg (50KB, 540x482px) Image search: [Google]
4980394820.jpg
50KB, 540x482px
WORST:
>people will be rude, disrespectful, won't say thank you, will ignore you
>youll be doing a lot of work, on your feet for a long time

my advice is to just mind your own business, be cordial, i always expected everyone to be cunts until they proved otherwise, don't be mean/rude or people will complain about you, ask questions if you have them, ALWAYS be nice to coworkers, talk to them, act like one of them

if you want to work your way up you need people to like you its 50% how hard you work and 50% if the big people like you
you dont have to though if you dont want to, you can quit whenever, you can change your schedule if you want (example: from full time to part time) dont feel bad if you miss days, its fine it happens
go to your breaks on time

if you can sneak and earphone under your shirt and listen to music go ahead (i did it and nobody said anything, in fact others started doing it)
mostly just go in with the right attitude, good luck its not as bad as it seems.
>>
>>37522334
Best is the payday and there wasn't a bad thing about it but there was a guy smearing shit on the left side of the building. The shit stain was small but the stink of it was fucking huge. Some of my co-workers called him the shit spreader and one of the time when my shift was
over and I saw the shit spreader smearing the shit on the wall. He looked 6'3 and lanky also he was wearing a red jacket, camo trousers, brown boots, latex gloves, and a mask that looked like a leather gimp mask but without a zipper.
He looked at me and said "shhhhhh don't tell anyone" I just nodded and walked to my car, got in and drove to my house to watch some TV.
So it ain't so bad.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.