[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Future Feels

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 13

>tfw you've never even seen humanity's ancestral homeworld and likely never will
>tfw every now and again the sheer absurdity of your alien surroundings hit you and you long to return to a world you've never known
>>
I read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy last week and I know it's a joke book but I still wish I'd get picked up from this shit planet to see the galaxy.
>>
>>37493805
before humans leave earth for good, i'm sure they would 3d map the entire earth so you can experience it in vr
>>
>>37493825
This.
That was my biggest fantasy from when I was young, unironically fuck this gay earth.
>>
File: 133.jpg (75KB, 1024x962px) Image search: [Google]
133.jpg
75KB, 1024x962px
>we will all die before truly knowing anything about space and life beyond this insignificant ball
>>
>>37494715
>the space race happened
>man walked on the moon
>there were serious plans of getting to mars by the 1980's

>all of it ended and now we're still on Earth
>>
>>37494836
We need a new cold war
>>
>>37494715
>wanting to brave a vast emptiness totally inhospitable to life
>leaving the place you were literally built to thrive in
>thinking decades old human designed technology is better than being perfected over millions of years by selection and chance

think about it like a fish wanting to leave the water. think about how our species "did" that
>>
>>37496320
>think about it like a fish wanting to leave the water.

What is evolution
>>
>>37493927
Thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYfR1IfEdLA
>>
File: 45345345.jpg (91KB, 615x458px) Image search: [Google]
45345345.jpg
91KB, 615x458px
>>37493805
>spaceships
>otherworldly colonies
Guess again, OP.
>>
>>37493805
>tfw born on colony planet 153 years' spaceflight from your ancestors' homes
>passage through a radiation storm nuked most computer files onboard, including photo libraries (only essential information like medical knowledge was preserved in hardcopy form)
>tfw nobody alive remembers what Home looks like
>no means of reply-communication with Home, Earth won't even know if your colony ship survived the journey for at least another 50-100 years
>tfw Terraforming Dept. estimates 130 years before humans can live and breathe in the open air here
>tfw you were born, lived, and will die inside a controlled-climate modular home eating processed foods from the can
>>
>people still delude themselves that future will be like in SF movies and vidya

Back in 60s-80s everyone thought that in 2000s there will totally be spaceships, lasers and robots all around. And guess what.
>>
>>37497799
>tfw year is 3746 AD
>tfw living in a farmhouse in the ruins of Switzerland
>occasionally see Russian surveillance-bombers fly overhead, haven't seen an Amerijap sortie in over a year
>wonder if the war is over yet
>though your farm valley is sufficiently unimportant for the Russians or Amerijaps to care about, its few still-functional autonomous defense units keep the smaller wandering tribes out
>they cannot differentiate, however, between friend and foe; you and your fellow villagers are trapped in this valley
>the last satellite connection in the village became unrepairable a few years before you were born
>half-fictitious handwritten 'history' books cohabit mass-produced textbooks from past centuries in the library, the only building more sacred than the village temple
>>
>>37496916
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xF0cGt5-69k

Does the robot let you just post links without original content?
>>
>>37498039
Who's living ''in'' the earth?
>>
>>37498398
reptiIians
>>
>>37498398
>he doesn't know about the 7 billion people living underground inside of the earth
>>
>tfw Earth is mostly abandoned and the largest population of Earthlings live in the mountain complexes of the Earth-cult
>tfw those weird fucks keep trying to gain new members and have a church in every single remaining populated city on Earth, trying to take over whats left of the world
>heard that a fleet of Imperial ships landed near the mountains and a bunch of soldiers stormed in and attacked the cult, blowing up the mountain
>Sieg Kaiser Reinhard! I'm getting off this shithole backwater world and hopping on a transport to Odin
>>
>>37494836
>we were closer to our spacefaring future in the 1960's than we have been in the decades since

What the fuck happened, we should be exploring Titan, Europe and the other Jovian and Saturnian moons on foot now
>>
File: 1445648893405.png (17KB, 633x772px) Image search: [Google]
1445648893405.png
17KB, 633x772px
>>37498018
>tfw dug up another nuclear dud from our farm land
>looks Amerijap, well that's something new.. *sarcasm*
>my dad tought me how to strip the uranium from these things when I was younger
>that was before he lost his last organic lung
>my mom always told him to wear his mask when working outside but the old bastard never listened
>have exactly 2 minutes 16 seconds to drag it to the shed before another government watch satallite is overhead
>they'll burn down this whole village if they find out we haven't been reporting these things

>ftw I can hear their tracks approaching the gate
>>
>>37498982
>What the fuck happened
It's a hard business to turn a profit in.
>>
File: 1-thefutureofs.jpg (75KB, 1500x937px) Image search: [Google]
1-thefutureofs.jpg
75KB, 1500x937px
>>37496320
>not wanting to bring the comfortable and habitable conditions to the rest of the solar system
>not wanting to find and settle more worlds and star systems like ours so we can have humans on multiple worlds, be a multiplanetary species virtually immune to extinction
>not wanting to fill the vast, inhospitable emptiness with human life thriving and perservering on artificial habitats, space colonies, other moons and worlds
>not yearning for a future of 100 billion humans scattered across 50 light years or so and searching for life and other intelligences out there to learn more and discover more about this universe
>not wanting to terraform other inhospitable worlds to make them like our homeworld in a massive feat of engineering, science and technological and civil achievement

Where is your ambition anon?
>>
>>37499171
Literally just report that shit you found
>>
File: 7bc.jpg (30KB, 640x753px) Image search: [Google]
7bc.jpg
30KB, 640x753px
>>37499226
Without the back alley uranium trade I wouldn't even have enough Eurocredits to keep the farm, let alone feed my family.
>>
>>37496320
good point but exploration and expanding our knowledge would never hurt
nobody says that we need to start mass settling the first barely habitable world we find
>>
File: 1494965076570.jpg (968KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1494965076570.jpg
968KB, 1280x1707px
Science Fiction is my only release from this boring existence. I was born too early to enjoy life the way I desire. That being said, I also doubt things are going to improve much in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some nuclear holocaust in the next 1000 years.
>>
File: s99_03779.jpg (1MB, 3600x2622px) Image search: [Google]
s99_03779.jpg
1MB, 3600x2622px
>>37499221
Its not for profit its for the ensured continued survival and advancement of our species, but yeah in this greedy, materialistic, consumerist obsessed society we have no need for such lofty ventures I guess

At least Space X is doing something, meanwhile other countries have announced plans for lunar landings, fuck knows when that will happen, and Mars is the goal for NASA sometime in 2030-2050 realistically

We're moving at such a snails pace in space, and we've gone backwards too, from stepping on the surface of other worlds to lingering in low Earth orbit for decades still.

At least we get lots of beautiful pictures of our planet from space out of it.
>>
>>37493825
If you're not even going to bother to see this planet, why would you want to see any others?
>>
>>37499324
same anon but you would probably say the same thing if you were born in the 3100
>>
File: 1495673549402.jpg (132KB, 700x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1495673549402.jpg
132KB, 700x1100px
>its been 100,000,000 years wandering this megastructure
>took me 90,000 years to cross a room the size of Jupiter
>only 25,000 years left to the edge of the structure, 20 AU out - I think
>still haven't found anyone with the Neterminal jeans
>my pants are already starting to fall apart
>gotta find those jeans
>system thinks my post is spam
>>
>>37499464
>>took me 90,000 years to cross a room the size of Jupiter
It would take 3.1923 years to walk the diameter of Jupiter (139.822 km).
This doesn't sound right... I suck at math.
>>
>>37499361
I don't have any money and have obligations.
>>
>>37499868
so a little over 40k kilometres a year? That's over a hundred per day, assuming you encounter zero problems and know exactly where you're going, in a perfectly straight line.

It's also possible that rather than a healthy adult human, Anon is actually an autistic space-snail. This would be logical, and would explain the apparent inconsistencies.
>>
>>37500388
I assumed Anon was some kind of cyborg without the need for sleep.
>>
>>37499361
Everything is already explored, except for the ocean depths.
>>
>>37500431
He could be a cyborg autist-snail.
>>
>>37500485
That doesn't mean you can't still see it for yourself.
>>
I have a theory

So we all know how wars impact society. Suicide rates go down, patriotism goes up, and overall productivity sky rockets. However war is naturally destructive and short term.

Space exploration can give that human spark and use it towards something productive. The will to claim our space, a second "MANIFEST DESTINY" for all of humanity. At the early stages people will be proud of their countries for winning at certain space achievements, contributing to more developement out of pride and competition.

From it we will gain technology like we did during the space race (freeze drying, anti-icing systems, thermal blankets and much more)

My personal theory is that since there are no major wars, humanity naturally looks for competition so we start to compete among ourselves leading to the divisional society we see today. If there is a cause, the human instinct will drive us together and propel use into the future we always envisioned.
>>
>tfw born in a fucking space ship
>tfw my grandparents were space-loving retards
>tfw ship won't reach a destination for centuries
>tfw will live eat die fuck in a tiny leaky can because MUH MANUFEST DESTINY
>>
>>37493805
>tfw augmetic implants itch every now and then
>>
>>37498982
Currently the barriers to entry in space are far too high, but once that gap is closed, we will see an unprecedented increase of private industry in space. This will probably happen in around 15-25 years
>>
File: 2010s.png (1MB, 1379x591px) Image search: [Google]
2010s.png
1MB, 1379x591px
>>37498982

Liberals happened
>>
We need that orbital ring /pol/ was trying to meme into existence a while back. That or a geostationary space elevator in a few decades when we finally find out how to mass produce extremely long high quality carbon nanotubes.
>>
>>37502174
I came to this thought as well, the space race during the Cold War is a perfect example of how the quest for the conquest of space can galvanize a nation the same way a just and reasonable war can.

All the fucking pathetic cucks who say theres no need for humans to explore space we can let probes and rovers and shit do it don't understand the human need to physically go far, to new lands and conquer them, its why we have mountain climbers today still, the thrill of conquering a mountain, navigating rough terrain and pushing yourself to the top, that kind of spirit will stay with us in space.

We wonder about who will be the first human on Mars and when it will happen, we also can ask ourselves who will be the first person to walk or climb Mt. Olympus on Mars - the tallest mountain in the solar system, imagine the competition for that title that would emerge once something like that becomes a possibility with advances in space flight and technology. Thats far more exciting and inspiring than the first rover to climb Mt. Olympus, the human element is necessary to inspire and motivate people more than any robot can, because they see humans reaching new heights and are inspired to strive higher still.

If we are to just stay on Earth while probes and rovers have all the fun exploring the solar system that would be no fun, its not as inspiring as knowing humans are there, and the farther humans travel in space, beyond Earth orbit, beyond lunar orbit, beyond Mars orbit - the higher our ambitions soar. Just imagine in the future being able to look up at the dots in the night sky, find which one is Mars and look at that dot and know that there are humans, living and working there, so far away, braving new territory, writing the chapters of history, the pioneers of humanity, thats far more mindblowing a thought than simply that our robotic craft are there, which is impressive but it lacks the inspiring human element, since we relate better to humans than robots.
>>
>>37496320
Natural selection is a meme at best. Field studies have found little to no impact from it
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.