[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you ever feel like videogames are just a massive waste of time

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 19

File: 1441062439182.jpg (99KB, 908x714px) Image search: [Google]
1441062439182.jpg
99KB, 908x714px
Do you ever feel like videogames are just a massive waste of time
>>
>>37460916
not feel, anon. It IS a waste of time.
>>
yes but its not like I have anything better to do
>>
>>37460916

yes. i've decided to start trying to read more instead.
>>
>>37461050
This.
I keep saying that work left me in a bad mood every night and I can't read while pissed off. The truth is I haven't even tried. What are you reading?
Pic related.
>>
File: 1112225353553533542552.jpg (131KB, 596x580px) Image search: [Google]
1112225353553533542552.jpg
131KB, 596x580px
>mfw got to level 90 in bf1 today
Was it all for nothing, OP?
>>
I mostly play video games with the budsquad of losers I went to high school with

If I lost them as friends I wouldn't really have any
>>
>implying there's anything else to do with your life than play video games
>>
Everything is a waste of time. In the end humanity will be extinct. None of it matters, there's no win condition. You're just born, you do some shit, then you die. That's not even edgy, that's just how it goes. We can't last forever. So play the games and beat your meat if you want to.
>>
lol 2 hours
>>
File: 9780300221831_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg (37KB, 419x630px) Image search: [Google]
9780300221831_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg
37KB, 419x630px
>>37461141

i'm reading this right now. i'm interested in classical history and still trying to get into the habit of reading every day (or at least regularly) so i went with something that would be easy for me to read about daily. i eventually want to start getting into philosophy but i'm trying to become a better reader before i tackle more cerebral stuff.
>>
>>37461236
Maybe I should start a bit smaller too. Maybe suicide notes or something.
>>
>>37460916
Yes, but what's worse is that when you'll finally do something productive you'll realize that's a waste too in today's world of prosperity and abundance. As >>37461230 says, everything is more or less a waste of time. When others validate what we do, however, we have the feeling it isn't.
>>
Almost everyone here has a toxic screen addiction, whether the form of this digital heroin is anime, vidya, shitposting, etc doesn't matter.

Me included. I want to try going on a camping trip to reset/recharge. The only thing I'll bring for mental stimulation will be a few books.
>>
>>37460916
Yeah so is trying to meet women or do any other hobbies so at least I enjoy them
>>
>>37461169
People still play battlefield 1? I played the shit out of that but then it got boring and now im addicted to forza and doom
>>
I always feel like I'm wasting my life whenever I do anything. I think my brain is negative. Ah well. Vidya is fun.
>>
>>37461317
Seriously do it. You'll never forget it. It'll change you.
>>
>>37461476
Battlefield 4 is still fun. Doom was fucking great. I recommend Resident Evil 7 and Overwatch as good games from last year. Uncharted 4 was fucking stellar, too.
>>
>>37461505
no it fucking won't, you'll just be bored.
t. been camping with friends several times
>>
>>37461200
Wanna be my friend? I love vidya.

Kik: AdilPleaseGetOut
>>
>>37461542
This anon knows what's up. Camping sucks dick.
>>
Occupying your thoughts with vidya is top notch stuff
>>
>>37461821

Why though? You get to see the natural world. If you don't bring any gadgets you get to feel much more down to earth. Camp far enough out from the city and you can see the star filled night sky. It gives a good chance to meditate/contemplate on the greater things.
>>
>>37460916
nah, been playing cod 1 since school ended all day errday
>>
>>37460916
Yes, because well it kind of is, but it's an escape from reality so whatever.
>>
>>37462152
the natural world sucks. at least it does in arizona, but probably other places too.
>>
>>37461264
>>37461236
>>37461141

>Read some Stephen King
>The Bachman books
>Feel even shittier
>Read some Robert Reich
>Feel even shittier
>Read some Milton Friedman
>Feel neutral about the stuff, and still feel depressed from everything else.
>>
i like spending time learning new languages, aktuell lerne ich deutsch
>>
File: IMG_0895.jpg (45KB, 210x380px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0895.jpg
45KB, 210x380px
>>37460916
The time playing vidya is time you could be spent learning a skill/talent that will help your life.

If you are an adult with no skills yet, that is a problem. Chances are you wasted it playing video games.

Now that doesn't mean video games are the problem, normies can waste their time just fucking around on social media and partying.

But you should have hobbies other then video games, ones that will help you progress in a career or is something just useful to know. And you should do those hobbies more then video games.

I wasted my entire life so far watching anime and playing video games. I heavily regret it. I'm 22 now and have nothing to show for my age except knowledge of games which is useless.

I'm trying to change, but the damage is done. I've lost a lot of time. And now that I'm an adult with a fast food job I despise, I have even less time to learn anything.
>>
File: 1496345726530.jpg (17KB, 487x362px) Image search: [Google]
1496345726530.jpg
17KB, 487x362px
>>37463424
>I've lost a lot of time

You're 22
>>
>>37463483
Yes and being close to mid-20s with no skills is a big problem.
>>
File: 1494541038378.png (49KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1494541038378.png
49KB, 750x750px
>play the elder scrolls series and fallout
>invest hundreds of hours into them
>finaly finished all possible missions
>tfw have nothing to do now and get bored
>mfw I was so into the role play I forgot i'm a boring neet with no gf
>I also missed my brother growing up

Haven't touched vidya since.
>>
>>37461050
Reading feels like a waste of time too. Unless its like, a textbook or manual for something.
>>
>>37460916
That's exactly what they are and why I continue to play them. I need to kill massive amounts of time every single day. Every once in a while you'll find one that really captivates you the way I assume a good book would, Nier Automata most recently for me, but the end goal is still to just waste enough time until I'm tired enough to sleep again.
>>
>>37460916
>Do you ever feel like videogames are just a massive waste of time
Yes, but I'm just trying to kill time until I die.
>>
File: 1496434224764.jpg (41KB, 480x542px) Image search: [Google]
1496434224764.jpg
41KB, 480x542px
>>37463517
Yes, but it's a common problem. Lots of people on this board have it way worse than you. And think of all the people who went to college and got useless degrees. Now they are in debt, no experience, and are the same age you are.

You can easily get your life on track by going back to school (college or trade) or joining the military. Saying "the damage is done" to justify a lack of change is an excuse
>>
I'm 28 and I never played video games in my life. Parents never bought me any and by the time I was 17 and had a job I was well aware how addictive they could be, and just the internet alone is super addictive, if I ever got into video games I would become a literal shut in pissing in empty bottles and shitting in bags in front of my battlestation.
>>
File: 1473292526273.jpg (88KB, 444x460px) Image search: [Google]
1473292526273.jpg
88KB, 444x460px
>>37463876
Internet is much more addictive than vidya.
>>
>>37461230

Well of course man. That's true, but you're in for a bad time if you're thinking everything in terms of some abstract ending. Sure you can play your games and pleasure yourself, but that's just not the way to live. We're humans, were emotional and social creatures. We have to orient ourselves in some way otherwise we're lost in a sea of despair and stasis, and let me tell you, it's one thing to waste time, but to be in stasis *and* waste time, that's a tragedy.

But you know it doesn't take much to orient yourself. I know lots of people who say they're bored and don't know where to go with their life. They're not bored, they're just crippled by anxiety, and they have anxiety because they can't see that to climb a mountain you have to start on on the path, at the trail head.

So if you're going to climb the mountain first you need to get to the trail head. Well what's that trail head? It's something simple, something you can accomplish easily. Maybe it's organizing your desk drawer. Heck you don't even have to finish organizing it, just start it. Maybe the next day you finish it, or move on to a different drawer. You've got to be able to feel success in these small victories. What ever you set out to do, make sure you do it though, and don't overdo it. Don't say you'll clean out the drawer then clean out your whole desk, because then you've broken your promise with yourself and now you can't trust yourself. One victory at a time, one step up that path. If you can reward yourself with video games then do it.

Just get it done man, because we do only have one life to live here, what a tragedy it would be to go through it without any sense of meaning. And if you don't know where to get meaning, it's as simple as getting to that trailhead. And once you get there you can start to sort yourself out, you can start to orient yourself. And heck finding a sense of accomplishment and playing video games too isn't such a bad deal.
>>
>>37460916
video games are totally worthless. they improve absolutely nothing in your life Unless youre making them. However life is meaningless so if you find even the most meager bit of enjoyment while playing then the time hasnt been wasted. Time is meaningless. You will live die and accomplish nothing. Congrats on being a low peg on the totem pole and contributing to the wealth of the gods who lord over us reigning piss into our eyes and ears while telling us its rain. i hope your first and second children are both masculine. itll help a lot when you die and find nothing in the afterlife.
>>
>>37460916
I consider everything a waste of time including my life, so yes, but I also don't feel bad about it at all.
>>
>>37463904
this desu, got hooked on the internet when i was 5, I'm almost 20. The internet should've never existed
>>
It is. Good thing for me, is that I don't enjoy playing them anymore. I do have other time wasters, which I will cut back on.
>>
File: i feel a bit superior.jpg (283KB, 881x1238px) Image search: [Google]
i feel a bit superior.jpg
283KB, 881x1238px
>>37460916
i havent played video games since 2016 and I own a GTX 1080 ti
>>
Just like anything else, OP. That includes anime, working a job, eating, and fucking.
>>
File: 1422518214087.jpg (118KB, 551x960px) Image search: [Google]
1422518214087.jpg
118KB, 551x960px
>>37460916
I like video games. I used to like Civiliation, Fallout (New Vegas), and even things like Counter Strike. Met my first and only gf through them.

I dislike the high and mighty chads who shittalk games as if their hobbies are any better, some of them aren't even productive. They're probably right though. I haven't played games at all recently, even though I can't really tell you what else I would be doing. I work, I browse 4chan, watch Youtube videos, and that's basically it. Organize my music collection? I don't know how I'm passing time but it's working too well.
>>
>>37463920
Lies. I've learnt many valuable things from vidya. Most of my english vomes from videogames at a young age, my aim and prediction skills come from vidya, it takes just a few minutes before I learn how to control something properly (like my dad's tractor crane which has several levers and shit). Saying vidya is useless is stupid. I had lots of teaching games when younger which helped me learn things much faster than I would in school. It has it's ups and downs but it isn't completely useless/waste of time.
>>
>>37460916
Of course they are, so what? Time should be wasted, existence is inherently negative and other than suicide which would cause loved ones to suffer wasting your time is the only option. What else is there to do anyway?
>>
>>37464930
Do your nails.
>>
>>37461169
>>37461476
i thought he meant breath of fire
>>
>>37460916
definitely, as a teen it was great and you feel in the zone when playing a game, now it's just boring and lost the thrill
>>
>>37460916
Dota-likes and Dota, "competitive" shooters, non-sandboxy MMOs, most Blizzard games are indeed wastes of time that do not make your character any richer. They trick you into thinking you're becoming good at something, but this is almost always factually incorrect as you're always just another nobody, even if you luck out into being "server's first XY kill" or top the ladders.

This would be okay if they provided ample enjoyment.

Most of these games do not. They give you frustration-happiness rations of 90%-10% or worse.

You could watch a bad series, read a bad book, play a bad single player game, and probably have a better time than with these types of MMO games.
>>
>>37463517
Can confirm, I did the same thing and I'm 26 now. I think about killing myself all day every day but I care for my mother too much to hurt her with suicide. At this point it's pretty much over. Even if you do learn a skill at this age there are people younger than you who started learning it right out of highschool. They're more knowledgeable about that particular thing than you are, they have more experience, and they're younger. No employer in their right mind would hire you over them. The best you can hope for is getting a good job through nepotism or going for self employment. Other than those you're looking at a future where you're working for bosses younger than you more often than not and hating yourself more deeply than you ever have before as you lay awake at night thinking of how much time you've wasted.
>>
>>37460916
You're going to die. One day every human will be dead. Because of this, literally everything is a waste of time, so don't let that stop you enjoying yourself.
>>
>>37467272
>Even if you do learn a skill at this age there are people younger than you who started learning it right out of highschool

People do not learn at the same pace. There are plenty of professional late bloomers who work hard to catch up to younger generations, and do so with great success.

Age is both a con and a pro. Doing nothing useful for 26 years is still 26 years spent developing thinking skills, learning to observe patterns in the world and gathering general-use knowledge.

Also, don't pretend like self-employment is bad. It's hard but it can lead to good things.
>>
File: 1485084600348.jpg (66KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1485084600348.jpg
66KB, 900x900px
Not as much as browsing this place is
>>
>>37462731
Read Ligotti, he's a cheerful guy
>>
File: 1445514925713.jpg (63KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1445514925713.jpg
63KB, 633x758px
Guys, I need something to play with a huge amount of leveling/advancement/progression. Something like Runescape but not Runescape. What should I play?
>>
>>37467640
Rising storm 2
Theres a huge learning curve if youve never played something like RO2/RS1.
Im enjoying it, i have alot of cool moments in it.
I myself gave up on runescape.
Doesnt really feel the same me anymore.
>>
It obviously is a fucking waste of time, but why would I care?
>>
>>37467690
i just refunded RS2 because the servers are trash and piss me off, but the game was also dropping me from every server i connected to.
first game i've ever refunded.
>>
>>37467690
I played a little RO2 and couldn't really get into it. Plus I'm kinda burned out on FPS war games. I played so much cod4, some csgo, and some others.

Yeah, I haven't played much RS in years. I played a fuckload and have a decent account, but every time I try it again, I play for like 2 weeks and then quit playing again.
>>
>>37467640
Try vindictus. It's like a more arcadey dark souls. its on steam
>>
I don't see how. I still manage to take care of myself and work towards a good job. Normies just spend their time drinking and smoking instead. I'd rather play games.
>>
>>37463424
what kind of skills?
>>
I haven't played a game in a month
>>
>>37467856
>>I played so much cod4
>ywn demolish pipeline snd with a retarded loadout and make the plebs cry again
>>
File: 1495325305682.jpg (168KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1495325305682.jpg
168KB, 1680x1050px
>>37463424
That's the reason I play videogames/watch anime (even though I don't really like videogames and anime is just to feel like i have friends because i self-insert as a girl bc im a degenerate closeted tranny faggot) is because doing an actual hobby takes effort and thinking.

I used to read a lot in elementary school and middle/highschool but I built a PC and now have that to waste my time with. I was just getting into reading actual books and not trashy genre fiction. But all it was for me was a way to kill time, same as videogames, anime, etc. Just killing time until I die.

Actual hobbies take thinking/effort and internet/games/anime/reading trashy fiction takes none. I don't want to have to think or put in effort or try. I just want to die and since I'm too pussy I just kill time until I do.
>>
>>37463424
>VIDEO GAMES DONT TEACH YOU NUFFIN
What a fucking meme.

If it wasn't for video games, I wouldn't be rich

>11 years ago
>playing WoW
>trying to save up for an epic mount
>keep spending my gold on stupid shit I don't need
>realize one day that I'll never get an epic mount
>stop spending gold on stupid shit
>get an epic mount within a few weeks
>from that moment onwards, I stopped spending money on stupid crap IRL

And now I've invested all of my saved money, and I'm retired.

If it wasn't for vidja games teaching me the value of money and the importance of saving at such a young age, I might be penniless.
>>
>>37460916
At least they are less of a waste of time than browsing 4chan while arguing and pitying yourself
>>
>>37460916
yup. I stopped playing them alltogether and started playing guitar instead. I hate how they make me rage for stupid reasons like lag and overpowered bullshit. good riddance
>>
File: 1284010722228.jpg (4KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1284010722228.jpg
4KB, 126x126px
>>37467955
Jesus Christ this nostalgia is hitting me hard. Pipeline, Crash, Ambush, Strike, Vacant, Bloc, District... God damn.

>ywn wallbang through that window on Strike and make people rage again
>ywn feel the adrenaline and doubt when you're last alive laying prone in that cubbie behind the dumpster on Strike again
>ywn go on a knife-only rampage and piss everyone off again
>ywn play promod again
>ywn feel that level of enjoyment in a video game ever again
>>
>>37461230
Read the Upanishads and become enlightened. Everything matters. The jews are keeping this knowledge from you to trap you in this material prison.
>>
File: 1368381378893.gif (477KB, 268x201px) Image search: [Google]
1368381378893.gif
477KB, 268x201px
>>37460916
Hmmm, that is the conclusion most people make when looking at vidya on the surface. However, vidya can serve many useless purposes:

-Teach about healthy competition and learn about game theory in an intuitive way, which is useful in many ways in real life, especially at a job
-The obvious benefit of relieving stress and helping people get through a hard day
-Improving hand-eye coordination which can be somewhat useful in real life
-Improving critical thinking in some ways, especially if you play competitive or puzzle games
-Can be used as a socialization tool to connect with similar people and expand your friend circle

The benefits are not huge, but they are there. Daigo Umehara wrote a book about knowledge he gained from playing video games, so if there is enough education to learn from video games to write a book about it then I would say that is proof there are good lessons to be learned by playing video games. You shouldn't spend 14 hours of your day playing games but in moderate amounts it can improve your life.
>>
>>37468069
/callvote map Byx_is_a_faggot
>>
>>37468132
useful purposes* lol

Wow I fucked myself before I even started
>>
File: phoencicia.jpg (801KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
phoencicia.jpg
801KB, 1920x1080px
Spending massive amounts of hours culturally enriching 1000's of villagers?

Never a waste
>>
>Play Battlefield
>Religiously when neet, continued when not neet
>Series dies with 4
>Don't play any FPS for years
>Reactions, attention and mental capacity have wilted severely

They are but I also need them to survive
>>
>>37467955
>>37468069
I remember a cool Search and destroy game I played where I had the sniper rifle and I was the last one left against 6. My friend was coming over and I was waiting for him by playing the game. He walked in to my room and my last teammate had just died. I was able to win the round and kill all 6 enemies with amazing plays that surprised even me, while my friend was watching. He thought I was really good after that even though I was only able to play that well once in every 100 games, and I just got lucky while he was watching me :)
>>
File: 1439573499744.jpg (6KB, 196x204px) Image search: [Google]
1439573499744.jpg
6KB, 196x204px
>>37468359
I've done exactly that, but with my brother. I was single-handedly destroying the team when he was watching and he thought I was incredibly good. Haha, jokes on him. I'm sure I promptly went back to missing about every shot and getting my ass stomped soon after.
>>
>>37461141

Muh fucking fellow thomas sowell reader....

His constrained v unconstrained vision shit basically explains all the left-right dichotomy.
>>
>>37460916
There's nothing wrong with playing video games if you have other interests
>>
>>37460916

yeah, but life is a gaint waste of time.

it kills me inside.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.