[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else still afraid of the dark?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 12

File: 012928393304.jpg (20KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
012928393304.jpg
20KB, 231x218px
>have to turn the downstairs light on when I come to bed
>turn it off and immediately run up stairs
>imagine a face peering at me through the front door
>>
File: 1495832608866.jpg (20KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1495832608866.jpg
20KB, 540x540px
>Turn off lights
>Feel like some invisible monster is going to tear me apart unless I get in bed RIGHT NOW
>>
>>37459374
Don't worry anon I still sleep with the lights on. Fuck those invisible grays that enter my room at night. Creepy as fuck bumping into something invisible
>>
>>37459374
>not taunting the monsters to come and end your suffering
>>
File: 1492277210285.jpg (12KB, 318x313px) Image search: [Google]
1492277210285.jpg
12KB, 318x313px
Turning lights on in a dark room feels like a life-or-death situation
Especially if you cant find the light switch
>>
>>37459374
Not so much anymore. I'm more afraid of unfamiliar places in the dark or being alone in the dark. I don't like being by myself at night. I don't think I'll ever be able to live alone.
>>
Dark is your friend. You can't see them they can't see you.
>>
>>37460431
Except the Greys with their built in thermal/night vision lenses.
>>
>eyes are extremely sensitive to light
>can see entire room from just the glow of the display on my alarm clock
>basically have night vision
>>
File: 1466217132861.jpg (68KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1466217132861.jpg
68KB, 633x758px
>lying in bed in the dark
>imagine someone/something standing over me and have to turn on the lights or use my phone as a flashlight to check and make sure nothing is there
>repeat a dozen times a night

>walk into dark room at night
>fumble for light switch
>it takes a few moments to find it and with every passing moment my imagination begins to cook up more and more terrifying things in the room there with me
>>
>>37459374
I genuinely feel safer in the dark. Have excellent night vision, know I have an advantage to would be attackers foolish enough to come at me in the dark. If anybody came in my house to attack, first thing I'd do is turn the lights off
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 400x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 400x338px
>>37460930
This 100%. I'm a neet and live alone, so I've become totally nocturnal, waking up as the sun goes down. I never turn on any lights in my house unless I really need to see something like for cooking, and most of the time I use my phone flashlight to walk around.
>>
>>37459374
>downstairs, folding laundry
>mom turns off light, thinking nobody is down there
>scream in a mixture of rage and horror for her to turn the light back on

happens every time

also

>>imagine a face peering at me through the front door

i do this too. why i have no idea
>>
>>37459374
Yeah but I fight it and just rationalize it as me being the scariest thing in the dark. Monsters aren't real.
I get really jumpy in dark open spaces though.

Closed spaces not so much because I'd hear things. Open spaces you can be watched from out of earshot.
>>
>>37461318
Holy shit, you reminded me of something

>last year
>work second shift quite a ways from my house
>one night on my way home I stop an old airport, no longer in use
>like midnight, and i was inspired by urban exploration and night walks
>ten minutes later, walking through tall grass in the middle of the field
>can see pretty well in front of me due to lights from the airport behind me
>turn around
>literally can see nothing due to all the glare, completely blind
>run back to civilization
>>
File: End it3.jpg (25KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
End it3.jpg
25KB, 480x269px
>>37459374
I'm sharing this board with literal children.
Figures.
>>
>Can walk around outside in complete darkness no problem
>At home, sweat profusely whenever the lights are off, hallucinating about some monster appearing out of the shadows

Also I fucking hate when something suddenly shifts in the sink down in the kitchen at night and makes a rattle. I know what it is but I'm still too scared to go down there to check until morning.
>>
>>37461496
off that high horse anon
you're not better than anybody know that
>>
>>37459374
>Anyone else still afraid of the dark?

Of all of the experiences I've had, perhaps one of the most bizarre was listening to a friend confess with no small degree of chagrin that, though an adult, he was still afraid of the dark.

It wasn't his phobia that I found strange but rather his embarrassment on account of it. The friend in question is strong and handsome, happily married with healthy children. The daylight world, the realm of shape and substance, has been incredibly good to him. After all, light can be kind or cruel, guardian angel or noonday devil, depending upon whether what it illumines is beauty or ugliness. In his case it was the former and who, blessed by the light rather than cursed, wouldn't be terrified by its absence?

Of all murderers, Darkness is the most vicious. During the hours it reigns it achieves what the killer aspires to but could never hope to accomplish: it doesn't murder a single form but form itself. The repulsive things that light hates have good cause to celebrate its death, to be sure. For a very brief time, when the sun sets and God goes to sleep, the distinction between ugliness and beauty becomes meaningless...if only for a little while. At night no one can see the monster for the abomination it is, including the ghoul itself.

When men wander in the dark, they are trespassing into the world of monsters. Their beauty is useless down in the places where there is no light to illumine it. During the nocturnal hours, Nature can be just as cruel to her pretty children as she is to her revolting abortions. No less blind at night than her offspring, She loses the ability to distinguish between those she loves and those she hates.

Eventually the sun rises and dispels the darkness, casting its light upon men and monsters alike. The former sigh in relief, having been rescued from their nightmare. At the very same moment the latter scream, having once again been awoken to theirs.
>>
I used to have a big fear of the darkness but somehow i got used to it and really dont fear it anymore tho i would be lying if i said that being alone in the darkness doesnt feel a bit unnerving
>>
>>37459374
Try playing in the darkness.

I'm serious. Make everything completely pitch-black, sit down, and let your eyes adjust. When your brain is sure something is there in the corner, walk straight over to it without hesitation (seriously, not even a microsecond's worth of hesitation) and try to touch it. Close your eyes and open them again. Touch your couch or your bed or whatever and get it through your head that everything is the exact same as it was. Take a shower or a bath (non-slip mat might be good for this; you don't want to slip and eat shit) and enjoy yourself. Listen to music. Smoke some weed, but be careful not to let your eyes readjust too hard with the embers. Do something fun. Just walk around confronting all your fears head-on and don't pussy out and flip on a light.

If you can't get it out of your head that something is there, say hello to it. Ask the darkness to play with you and to be your friend. Say you're sorry for always driving it away and offer it a hug. Smile. Ask it to hang out with you for a while and just let the shadows wash over you.

If fear is inseparable from that, then let yourself be afraid. Don't feed into it or think about it, but don't fight it. Just sit there and let yourself be spooked, and try to observe the emotion from an outside perspective. Just observe it and let it pass. Say hello to it, too, and don't be unfriendly towards it.

And if you can, fall asleep like that without ever having turned the lights on.
>>
I cured my fear of darkness by dropping the habit of constantly having to reassure myself that nothing lurks in the dark while I try to sleep, because every time you peep out of your blanket to see that the coast is clear, you just force upon yourself the idea that there's need for such reassurance. With each night of not being mauled by some imaginary creature, you will get more confident that today's sleep will be undisturbed as well.
>>
>>37462239
Reading this post alone made me feel so uncomfortable I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep for a while. You just personified darkness for me, and even if you made it seem friendly, I'm even more frightened of it now.
>>
>>37459374
The night is dark and full of terrors. You're a fag tho
>>
>>37462389
Embrace it. Embrace the spookiness and the darkness. Let it wash over and through you and give it a chance to be your friend instead of recoiling from it.

The darkness isn't evil, anon.
>>
File: 1464051147465DANK.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1464051147465DANK.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
>>37461899
>Eventually the sun rises and dispels the darkness, casting its light upon men and monsters alike.
Very surprised that this wasn't pasta, good work anon.
>>
>still being afraid of the dark in your own house
Unless you live in a niggerous neighborhood, you have nothing to worry about. Being afraid of the dark is a fear implanted in your head by your parents to condition you to stay in your room/bed until you lose all of your energy and sleep. If you're outside and it's dark, you have a valid reason to be afraid.
>>
File: gay-clown-21.png (399KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
gay-clown-21.png
399KB, 620x465px
>used to need a night light or the hallway light on to go to sleep as a kid
>loves the dark and need it to be pretty damn dark to sleep.

Don't know if it's a mixed or good feel.
>>
Only after watching horror flicks but I like the feeling.

I love me some horror but it leaves me with a sense of dread if it was particularly good.
>>
>>37459374
I used to be scared of the dark. Scared of monsters.
As I got older, though, I learned that I'm the only monster in my life worth fearing.
>>
>>37459374
Yes, I am terrified of the dark. My brain naturally drifts towards a scary place when I stay there too long. If I focus on the dark I will lose my mind in time and go into a nervous breakdown of laughter and rage. I am convinced some supernatural evil is following me and infesting me so I don't stay in the dark too long lest it fester. I am in the dark right now but I have my laptop on my stomach and I'm laying down so if I don't focus on being attacked by the entity I should be OK. If I focus on it like right now I have to run over and turn on the light FUCKKKK. I just felt like my legs were getting pulled. I heard stomping. Fuck you. FUCK YOU. Why'd you remind me? I'm scared again. I just relaxed.
>>
File: 1489820200974.jpg (7KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
1489820200974.jpg
7KB, 228x221px
>>37459374
>watch spooky videos on YouTube
>be scared of the dark then
Dumb normies, making me feel scared for no reason.
>>
File: iktfb.jpg (32KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
iktfb.jpg
32KB, 512x512px
>>37460774
I was the same before I discovered how good of a distraction asmr with nearly pure voice can be. If I just focus on somebody talking my mind doesn't run wild anymore, most of the time atleast.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.