[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You're not as much as you could be.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: Porton B. Jeterson.jpg (517KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Porton B. Jeterson.jpg
517KB, 2000x1333px
You're not as much as you could be.
>>
>>37357370
I'm nothing and I could never be anything. Seems like I'm doing pretty fine.
>>
File: 1487477296968.png (107KB, 244x311px)
1487477296968.png
107KB, 244x311px
>>37357370
Jordan Peterson is so full of shit.
The dude literally reads books for fun, and he gets paid to do so.

There's nothing that can come from his mouth that can help me in my life.
>>
>>37357370
It's like- my god- and no wonder
>>
>>37357421
Guess I'll ignore all the advice he's given as a professional clinician and as a university professor and listen to some faggot on 4chan instead.
>>
>>37357421
He's trash because he's a postmodernist who thinks he's fighting postmodernism by putting out more postmodernist informed work.
How's this for an archetype "the ouroboros".
>>
File: beta.jpg (13KB, 200x355px) Image search: [Google]
beta.jpg
13KB, 200x355px
>>37357421
Change is always painful. Once you get past your internal whining and pouting, you'll come around.
>>
>>37357469
You should ignore his advice and take your own.

Think for yourself.
>>
>>37357512
I'm sure being a free thinking individual and ignoring all the useful information already out there has worked wonders for you Anon! :)
>>
I would prefer not to

-superior psychoanalyst
>>
>>37357512
His advice is literally to do what you consider to be conducive towards a happier, healthier and more productive future.

His advice is literally to just stop doing shit you know you're going to lament when you go to bed.
>>
>>37357512
Then I would be taking your advice and thus not thinking for myself
>>
>>37357539
It has though.
I'm not in any personal pain because I listen to what hurts.

Listening to Jordan Peterson is like wasting hours of your life to get obvious information.
>>
>>37357539
>useful
Peterson is a hack that takes Jung seriously as opposed to seeing him as a useful tool in writing fiction. Might as well listen to someone who uses Gary Gygax as their ideological anchor, you'd get the same results.
>>
>>37357569
>listen to what hurts
Such as?
>>
>>37357586
>Wow, I feel very lonely and discontent
>Looks like I'd better start being more sociable in daily life

I don't know what more you want.
>>
>>37357569
I don't know about anyone else but listening to peterson helped me develop a worldview that helps me not sink to nihilism or ideological possession in the face of great suffering. I hardly think that developing a worldview like that is obvious, at least for me.
>>
>>37357646
That's good for you, but I don't need that as I'm not driven by thought.

I simply accept the world and try and live a good life in it.
>>
>>37357569
>Jordan Peterson is like wasting hours of your life to get obvious information
Because it's clearly a stupid pep talk with a sinister undercurrent that any attempt to shake the boat as far as society is concerned is nihilism.
>>
>"hurr durr peterson is bad don't listen to him"
>offers no alternative

why do people do this? when someone on /v/ says a game is shit they suggest a good game to play instead. i guess it just proves the peterson hate is just shilling
>>
>>37357704
slavoj zizek

i dont dislike peterson but he doesnt hold a candle to zizek
>>
>>37357687
>I'm not driven by thought.

Clearly.
>>
>>37357704
The alternative is living your life on your terms without having to live like a vegetable waiting on an I.V. feed from an insincere ideologue to know what your opinion should be. Call it existentialism if you like.
>>
>>37357704
A lot of the criticisms of Peterson tend to be caricatures. One of the only criticisms that I've seen that could be valid, as far as I can tell, is the fact that he sometimes caricatures postmodernists like Foucault and Derrida. But I couldn't refute that because I haven't read the postmodernists.
>>
>>37357723
>slavoj zizek
I've been meaning to start watching him, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
>>
The average anon is your standard underachieving white male so yeah.
>>
>>37357754
I've been living my life until now look where it brought me.
The truth is I don't know what I want and what to do
>>
>>37357723
Zizek has his problems but at least he's a postmodernist who is aware he is one instead of operating under the delusion he isn't one like Peterson.
>>
>>37357754
But Anon, Peterson's main claim is that you should live your life on your own terms so long as you are taking responsibility for the things in your life.

You could take that little morsel of info, live by it, and forget about Peterson for the rest of your life, and you'd be fine. The idea of ordering yourself around the good you know you can do isn't contingent on following Kermit the Frog around, although he does has some other interesting things to say.
>>
>>37357754
>living life on your own terms
This is literally something he says: >>37357554
>>
>>37357786
>I don't know what I want
You probably do but are just afraid to act on it or plagued with self doubt. Freedom is terrifying that's were most of our intaction comes from.
>>
>>37357778
probably the easiest stuff to digest is the small 1-6 min videos where he makes an appearance on the news or does something on the big think
>>
>>37357786
If you don't know what you want, you should be out there trying to find it.

Your life is your own.
>>
Of course the kids of /r9k/ would dislike Peterson. They'd rather whine and complain about life then do anything productive. Most of what Peterson says probably goes over the heads of most stupid people here though.
>>
>>37357820
Peterson has really strict definitions on doing that. His 'sort yourself out' spiel shows that much. The man is obsessed with trapping people within achetypal constraints.
>>
>>37357874
>Peterson has really strict definitions on doing that.

Mind elaborating on what those definitions are?
>>
Can anyone sum up what this Peterson guy is all about?
>>
>>37357787
In what way is Peterson a postmodernist?
>>
>>37357892
Any form of dissent being dismissed as whining. Calling his opponents Marxist if they disagree with him. Saying be as free as you want but attacking people who pursue bachelorhood as broken. Stating only Christians can be trusted with objectivity, once again contradicting his edict that we are free to do as we want.
>>
>>37357898
He talks about taking responsibility for yourself, religion in a way I've never really heard anyone talk about, ideology & nihilism and how bad they are.

He tends to be controversial for some reason, probably because some people on /pol/ like him. Which is weird because he's against ideology.
>>
>>37357874
If you don't have a strict definition on what you want to do or be, then I'm not quite sure how you're going to get by. Otherwise, the definitions you operate on are just platitudes. Sort of vague, very fuzzy feeling, but ultimately headed in no particular direction.

If you feel a wash in doubt, chaos, mistrust, self-loathing, etc., then the last thing you need is the vaguest possible ideal with which to strive for. It's a reason why he started this Future Authoring thing, to help people structure the things they want to do in their lives. I can understand why people think he's a charlatan, but these are the same people who walk behind ideologues. Peterson is just the first step on the path. The rest is all up to you.
>>
>>37357946
I think that criticism stems from the fact that he uses a Darwinian definition for truth sometimes, rather than a Newtonian one. That seems to rub people the wrong way, even if he's clearly trying to differentiate between the two, he just doesn't have a better word for it.
>>
>>37357953
>Calling his opponents Marxist if they disagree with him
except he only does this when they're actually marxists, like the postmodernists, or SJWs
>Saying be as free as you want but attacking people who pursue bachelorhood as broken
Be as free as you want at your own peril. Bachelorhood isn't the healthiest way to live.
>Stating only Christians can be trusted with objectivity
I'm pretty sure he's never said this.
>>
>>37358130
>postmodernists, or SJWs
neither is necessarily marxist
>>
>>37357370

Neither are you faggot.

FYI everyone can practically *see* the neurons firing one by one as you try to sell the anthropological perspective like it's new.
>>
>>37358164
The postmodernists he refers to say it outright, it's not just accusations. As for social justice warriors, its a bit more roundabout, but social justice is embedded in postmodernism which is embedded in marxism. "Social Justice" is a marxist idea
>>
>>37358221
No you are wrong-and hes wrong aswell when he covers this. Its a very shallow and incorrect analysis.
>>
>>37358221
>social justice is Marxist
Damn Aquinas was a marxist who knew?
>>
>>37358276
Then by all means correct me. I'm here to learn.
>>
>>37358331
Well liberalism is sort of not marxist by definition. These ideas of social justice are certainly liberal ideas-or perhaps neoliberal is a more proper term.

I can say with certainty that proper marxists(for lack of a better term) would dismiss the vast majority of social justice issues as undialectical or blind to class issues.

Many postmodernists are proper marxists but just as many are not marxists by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>37357898
>>37357898
He's a clinical psychologist/university professor who teaches two classes, one called 'Personality' that covers the psychoanalysts, the existentialists, the developmental psychologists, the humanists, the phenomenologists and he also goes into the biology of traits and the class gets much more scientific towards the end.
His other class is called 'Maps of Meaning' named after a book he wrote where he talks about the psychological significance of religion as far as I know, I haven't read the book or watched his lectures yet but I plan too. He has alot of views on personal responsibility, is very anti Marxist, anti nihilist, has very interesting ideas on archetypes and he sprinkles these views throughout his lectures here and there.

He blew up recently because he made a video on his youtube channel condemning a piece of legislation called Bill C-16 in Canada that basically aimed to compel people to use particular gender pronouns, in the video he said he would refuse to follow it. This garnered alot of attention for him and he got on podcasts left right and centre, then people stayed because he has alot of amazing content which was hidden since he wasn't getting much attention before.

He claims 90% of his youtube viewers are male and the same with his lecture audiences (except his university classes). He says he thinks this is the case because he's peddling a message of personal responsibility that men desire like nothing else and so are drawn to what he has to say.
>>
File: 1493069720349.jpg (129KB, 600x768px) Image search: [Google]
1493069720349.jpg
129KB, 600x768px
>>37358457
This. You can argue what he talks about is nothing new, but for many people it's completely unheard of. It's a good starting point to understanding how to get a fruitful life. On top of that, he's actually doing something significant with his time by trying to stop bill c-16 which is more than you can say about any philosopher who normally just sit in a classroom and preach. i have a lot of respect for the guy
>>
>>37357723
holy shit you are a fucking stupid pleb dont listen to this fool
>>
>>37357898

He's a psychologist who received his PhD in arguably _the_ best psychology school on the planet at the time (McGill), who has also taught at Harvard and UoT.

As for his relation to /r9k/, he is deeply empathetic to the struggles of current young males, particularly those who would fall under the "robot" category. Drawing upon his elite academic knowledge and experience with hundreds of patients, he's attempting to attempting to make the knowledge of how to improve on life more accessible and easier to be understood.

He offers a plethora of knowledge on how robots can leave robot-hood, which of course ultimately relies on the robot to take action for any of it to cause effect. That's why robots hate him.
>>
>>37358412

I honestly can't figure out if you people just don't know (anywhere close to) as much about philosophy as you pretend you do, or if you're just being disingenuous postmodernists when you do this.

See also:

> the way you quasi-intellectuals become vegetative retards from a different planet the moment a "layperson" publicly recognizes the (extremely formal and well-documented) influence Marx had on sociology.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.