[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a Finance degree worth getting? I wanna work as a finance analyst

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 1479770558808.jpg (41KB, 780x750px) Image search: [Google]
1479770558808.jpg
41KB, 780x750px
Is a Finance degree worth getting? I wanna work as a finance analyst
>>
Yeah. Get it and go into investing and work for a finance company.
>>
>>37286733
>finance company.

you mean a bank
>>
>>37286755

Bank or those investment companies. Bank isn't the only option.

And you can start your own company and buy stocks for it.
>>
>>37286716
from what uni
also do you suffer from bad social skills
>>
>>37286804
A CSU college
>>
>>37286716
yes, but you need to be socially excellent for that - everything lies upon being likable in both the interview and then in the following 3 years you'll be slaving in an investment bank for 90 hours a week
>>
>>37287349
>hen in the following 3 years you'll be slaving in an investment bank for 90 hours a week

Very few finance majors actually end up working IB
>>
>>37286716
That girl got married to this rich, fat tub of lard.

But remember to just be yourself.
>>
>>37288644

>Married

He literally bought her
>>
>>37286716
Someone needs to get that girl a Black Bull immediately.
>>
>>37288672
That's what marriage is.
>>
>>37288478
Yes, that's how you succeed in Finance though. You get accepted into a BB by being from a good school and socially excellent, charismatic and good interviewer - all of which OP probably lacks
>>
>>37286716
If you can do it without taking out a shitload of loans.

If you take out more than 150K to get a degree, it's not worth it unless you're going to be working for the American Government.
>>
>>37286716
don't get a finance degree if you want to get on the ladder as an analyst. do a maths degree and tailor it towards finance or statistics.

>>37286785
> Bank or those investment companies.
you mean investment banks?

>>37287349
>but you need to be socially excellent for that
wrong

>>37288478
that's because finance is a major for retards who thinks being an analyst is easy money

>>37289061
wrong
>>
>>37289061
Even with all of the above he might not succeed. He need connections to some high up.
>>
>>37289061

You do know some so called "financial analyst" jobs are just glorified excel monkey jobs right. The ones who do IB in cities like NYC or London are from ivy league school
>>
>>37289199
>Even with all of the above he might not succeed. He need connections to some high up.
connections are great for getting your foot in the door, but most connections are made on the job anyway

what you really need is infallible work ethic and the ability to thrive under immense pressure.
>>
>>37289235
> London are from ivy league school
>London
>ivy league
all universities in England cost about the same. Not many of the bankers I know went to Oxbridge actually, most went to LSE, Warwick, UCL or Manchester
>>
>>37289183
being in finance other than quant positions doesn't require any math, and degrees won't help you. everything you need to know you will learn on the job - you think you need to have impeccable math skills for that EBITDA valuation?
>>
>>37289968

Except you need a finance degree to even get an interview for those analysts jobs
>>
>>37286716
>Is a Finance degree worth getting?

Well, my roommate in grad school got a PhD in finance a few years ago. I last saw his name as an executive at a boutique hedge fund in NYC, so I'm guessing that he's already made 100 times the money I will ever make in my whole life.
>>
>>37290109
>executive at a boutique hedge fund

So what you're saying is, hes the branch manager at the local TDAmeritrade branch in NYC
>>
>>37290021
no you don't. many people in the industry have meme degrees such as History or English from yale or harvard, engineering is popular too

you need a degree, a good GPA, and top schools that have alumni networks
>>
>>37286755
>you mean a bank

Not all institutional lenders and shit like that are banks.
>>
>>37286716

Not unless you're planning on doing the finance degree at an investment bank or doing the CFA after getting that degree.
>>
>>37289273

Do you know any bankers that don't have a uni degree?

I'm planning on doing a vocational accounting qual in hopes of getting CIMA/ACA/ACCA qualified (preferably ACA though)
>>
>>37291082
Pretty sure to even qualify for those you need a bachelor's at minimum.
>>
>>37291103

Yeah, the qualification I'm planning on doing (AAT) ends at level 4 but it is considered an equivalent to a bachelors by CIMA and ACA, not too sure about ACCA but I think they also consider it as an equivalent.
>>
>>37291182

The problem comes when HR comes in, let's say you qualify for a job but the job requires a bachelor's. Once HR sees your resume and doesn't see a bachelor's, she'll just throw it out. You maybe technically qualify but the hiring manager won't know if the fat HR chick throws it out
>>
File: PI0gVMd.png (190KB, 540x400px) Image search: [Google]
PI0gVMd.png
190KB, 540x400px
>>37286716
Unless Daddy knows a guy who knows a guy, no degree is worth shit. Or you could suck off a house full of frat bros for a year or two to make those connections.

degrees and intelligence are useless in the plutocratic fasisct oligarchy of America at least, only thing that matters is who your mommy daddy are and who they fucked over to get to where they are
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.