[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who /self-taught coder/ here?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

is teaching oneself coding online a decent way for a robot to work towards breaking into the job market or generating an income online and become motivated about something?
it's not like there's too many other options when operating from the basement anyway.
>>
Yes, you can make decent money. Taught myself PHP, SQL, and server hosting and software used in it (apache, phpmyadmin, WordPress, mysql, etc). Also taught myself a bit of pentesting and there is loads of options, legal and illegal, as long as you understand what you're doing and how you're doing it.
>>
How do you get into this if beyond playing games and being able to type quickly you're otherwise generally pretty ignorant about your computer? I wouldn't even know where to start but I am interested in learning more.
>>
>>37278296
>>
I'm currently doing the web dev bootcamp by colt steele on udemy. I recommend it. Also I suggest doing freecodecamp over codecademy.
>>
>>37278296
>>37278344
Python massively overrated.

First of all, what do you want to go into?
>web application shit (websites and databases mainly)
>network shit (networks and infrastructure)
>server shit (what powers websites and everything else, generally you'll end up learning about websites and server shit)
>any level of os shit (literally different levels, look into it)
>>
>>37278411
I don't know. Which one is the easiest to learn? I might have a better idea of what I want as I learn more. This would be purely a neet hobby pursuit as I don't have the money to pay for any classes about anything. I guess the most plebian answer possible: make amateur vidya gaems.
>>
>>37278499
theres a Unity course starting on Coursera soon, from the syllabus i read you will get started learning C# to build some games. might not be bad place to start for you. definitely base your learning around projects, will help you keep motivated and not get lost in video after video, tutorial after tutorial.
>>
>>37278499
I learned everything without paying a cent, though understand that it is slow, frustrating, and tedious. Find a good community to startup on. Hackforums, some Reddit communities, and other development forums are useful.

I'm a web guy, and I enjoy it, especially ethical hacking. You can't quite get that from game development.

As far as languages go I would start with C++ and C or Java. Expand on your own from there and make sure you understand their capabilities and differences.
>>
>>37278606
*as far as languages for game dev go

And to answer your other question, don't worry about what's easiest. Just jump into something that intrigues you.
>>
>>37278182
i learned C# for fun and also know C/ASM variants for microcontrollers. you really really want someone that already knows the language for you to bounce questions off of or get code reviewed. a coworker just paid me $40 to write about 100 lines for him but that doesn't happen often. i wouldn't recommend programming as a self starter moneymaker because you're a pathetic loser on /r9k/ but it's a great foundation for going into a CS degree.
>>
>>37278606
I also forgot unity lol. Heard bad things about it though it's versatile and easy from what I understand.
>>
>>37278606

C++, C, and Java are shitty languages to start with if you don't have any programming background. They're really useful, sure, but annoying enough to probably turn most folks off coding.

Python is a good starter language. Hell, you can learn by doing Powershell, too, which is both super easy *and* already set up if you have Windows machines, so you can do neat stuff with it right from the start. Plus, learning Powershell lends itself to C# since it's just a wrapper over C# anyways.
>>
>>37278499

If you've never programmed before, check out learning Windows Powershell. You can't make games with it, but it's a great way to get started with programming, and once you know the general concepts involved with programming, switching to another language is pretty easy.

Plus you can automate all sorts of stuff with Powershell and if you ever wanted to get into sysadmin work, knowing it is pretty much a requirement now.
>>
>>37278499
Don't pick the "easiest" one
look at some of the others in as much detail as you're willing to, and if you find it really uninteresting, then don't do it
>>
You will always be a bottom class code monkey if you are self-taught. The more demanding and highly paid jobs require a degree.
>>
>>37278702
That's true outside of NA
if the person is young and they seem smart and they manage to rope in that first job, then as long as they can convince people that they're not retarded they'll make good money
>>
I don't mean to sound conspiratorial... but it seems to me like there's a lot of money in SELLING the idea of programming being a good career option, but as a career itself, unless you really love it, it doesn't seem like a very easy ride.

I hate the idea of staring at a screen all day, and staring at a screen filled with work seems so much worse.

I hate the idea of being under the direction of other people, especially 'tech' people who can often be quite egotistical and annoying.

I hate the idea that ultimately i'd just be getting average money to service a world in which Stacey can live a more leisure-filled life.
>>
>>37278182
It's only decent to get into the job market if you can actually have a portfolio of things to show an employer. Without formal education or work experience, just telling them you know a language means basically nothing.

Even something simple like a website made for someone on Craigslist is a good thing to have.
>>
Faggot shit mane, get yourself into trading instead. Working for anybody but yourself is slavery.
>>
>>37278773
that's literally every office job. i think if i worked with programmers i'd kill myself though. programming is easy but people that do it professionally have a bit of an "i'm a rocket scientist" vibe imo.
>>
Yeah, I taught myself how to program in C++ and VBA (yeah, I know, but Excel and stuff). Got into uni for Maths with Computer Science and thought I was hot shit and that while I might struggle with the maths, the computing should be easy. Turns out the maths is not that difficult and is pretty easy to learn within a few days, whereas everyone else knew a ton more about programming than I did, so yeah, self-taught doesn't mean all that much it seems.
>>
>>37278773
Programmer here

>I hate the idea that ultimately i'd just be getting average money to service a world in which Stacey can live a more leisure-filled life.
The pay is only average for scrubs

>but it seems to me like there's a lot of money in SELLING the idea of programming being a good career option, but as a career itself, unless you really love it, it doesn't seem like a very easy ride.
That is 100% correct my dude, to actually get anywhere by yourself you have to be literally autistic.
>>
>>37278773
>>I don't mean to sound conspiratorial... but it seems to me like there's a lot of money in SELLING the idea of programming being a good career option, but as a career itself, unless you really love it, it doesn't seem like a very easy ride.

Yes. An increased supply of programmers equals lower wages for programmers, and there's nothing more employers hate than well-paid employees.
>>
>>37278499
Too pleb to make it I'm afraid sport
>>
>>37278675
Powershell kinda gets into a sort of different realm of programming. I would not introduce someone to programming with shell scripting, it might be off-putting

imo, when it comes to the first language its more important to learn something interesting, because if you dont like it, you really cannot do it
>>
>>37278770
That's true in my country was well, but I got into hackerspaces and the "startup scene", they're pretty Silicon Valley influences and don't discriminate you if you haven't got a college degree.
>>
>>37279000
I wish I could get into that sort of thing, I dont know where to start
>>
>>37279000
Depends on what you program. For web stuff a degree is needed. For more advanced algorithms, scientific programming, network systems etc? You need to understand concepts of computer science. Being self-taught is not enough.
>>
>>37279093
Its true, you could NEVER become a DBA without some kind of education, but honestly, junior software designer is a position that can be filled by a dude who knows like 3 languages and has a little experience in something like an unpaid internship

its really only possible if you live with your parents
>>
>>37279083
I got there just by visiting a local hackerspace and starting to talk to people. It was hard, I'm still and introvert and a little spergy, but you get goosebumbs when you find someone else who is in the same things as you and you can have a constructive talk about it. Then I got invited to work in some dude's startup and I've been jumping from gig to gig for 3 years by now.

>>37279093
Yeah, I don't pretend to be a computer scientist or anything like that. I don't have a good math base, I struggle with anything past high-school algebra. But I learn fast, admit my shortcomings, ask my doubts and let others take the most complicated parts if needed.
>>
>>37279093
a degree is not* needed

I fucked that up.
>>
I'm teaching myself python for now. Kinda lame but right now I just finished making a alarm clock. So far I like doing this, one thing I can focus on with my adhd.
>>
>>37279206
honestly, python is fun as fuck
I made a polynomial derivative calculator, and that knowledge alone got me through half a year of college without having to pay attention
>>
>>37279259
I'm enjoying it right now, I'm sure I'll get annoyed at it eventually. One thing I'm having issues with, just starting python 2 days ago is if and elif. But my long term goal is to make either a bot or a adventure text game.
>>
I taught myself Python when i was a NEET.
Just finished a bot program for a video game today
>>
>>37279283
I'm currently learning it right now. Using power shell, but I'm installing Linux in a couple days.
>>
>>37279277
text games are fun, I started lots, and finished none

>>37279283
I've been sort of looking to make a bot for flashflashrevolution sometime
>>
>>37279321
So say I finished learning python, in a few months. What would be a good language to go into next?
>>
File: 1495717092016.gif (523KB, 210x315px) Image search: [Google]
1495717092016.gif
523KB, 210x315px
Powershell as your first language, really? Why not Javascript if you guys are that much concerned with ease of setting up a dev environment? All you literally need is a syntax highlighting notepad and you're good to go. There are also so much more resources to supplement your learning of it like http://eloquentjavascript.net/, multiple paradigms and dynamically typed so it's far more lenient thab Java or C.

t. cs meme degree shitposting from work
>>
>>37279339
With Linux you can use the terminal to program correct?
>>
>>37279332
Depends what do you want to do. You should either get into web dev or into "maker" stuff, like electronics, 3d prining or the raspberry pi.
>>
>>37279332
I would say that the industry would require big time Object Oriented Programming, so you can pick between Java and C#

Java is made fun of a lot, its really slow, and GUI programming in it is shitty, but a lot of business uses it anyway

C# is just good, and some more modern businesses use it
>>
>>37279358
I'm going to community college for basic classes then computer science. Is this something good to learn before hand python and Java?
>>
>>37279364
I'll keep that in mind, original.
>>
>>37279374
yeah, it helps a SHITLOAD
>>
>>37278913

It's pretty much a fully-fledged programming language on its own, even before you get into the fact that you can put all the C# code in with it that you want.>>37279339

PS has easy to read syntax and is native to all recent Windows versions.

You can definitely learn all the basic CS concepts you'd need to go over to a different, more difficult language.
>>
>>37278182
idk, i learned it and created a ton of shit but i never made any money from it. i figure i never got gud or didnt apply myself hard enough or maybe being self taught is a shit career path for some people.
>>
>>37279430
My motivation is I have no more options.
>>
>>37279374
Oh wait, I think i may have misread when I said >>37279387
>>
pls be my coding fwiend
we cah elp each other be more productuve
>>
>>37279442
i dont have any options either
>>
File: 2na4f41_d.jpg (73KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
2na4f41_d.jpg
73KB, 500x707px
I'm not one to talk seeing as I only got my first job as a programmer like half a year ago but I imagine the online job market for this industry is far more competitive than in real life since you'll be competing against a whole lot more people who are much better and cheaper than you. It is possible you'd get good and be able to make a hit game that would go on to sell millions but I wouldn't place hope on that pipe dream.
>>
File: 1453583645232.jpg (60KB, 872x960px) Image search: [Google]
1453583645232.jpg
60KB, 872x960px
i am; wrote almost all of www.gymbull.com in the last year
>>
Follow your dreams

Just not my dreams
>>
>>37279300
For programming, I think linux is way better than windows
>>
One thing is you could teach yourself some shit and go to https://certification.comptia.org

Some places specifically look for the "A+" certification (usually for more hardware related jobs), but its still something to put on a resume
>>
>>37279527
How would I use python on Linux, I've only used Windows.
>>
>>37279591
it comes with most distros i think

either that or I instantly download it on fresh systems, and you would use something like vim as the editor
>>
>>37279627
Gotcha I'm downloading unbuntu. I see that it's good for beginners. Thanks
>>
>do a codeacademy html+css course
>course is bare minimum few commands like changing color of a font
>CONGRATULATIONS YOU'RE A CODER NOW
>>
>>37279691
I don't like code academy that much honestly. I'm just reading out of books I've bought.
>>
>>37279699
I never really bothered with it since the site barely runs on my computer.
Now I just try to make things and use shit like stackoverflow to find out everything I need to know while taking some notes myself.
>>
>>37279691
Yeah, codecademy isnt very thorough
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.