[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

getting rid of depression

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: feeling hype.jpg (43KB, 720x649px) Image search: [Google]
feeling hype.jpg
43KB, 720x649px
Any robot struggling with depression? I've just wanted to know if the prescribed by psychiatrist medication work or is that meme? Also do psychological therapies even work?
>>
>>37263528
Any mental "illness" that isn't straight up scizophrenia or comparable shit is a meme. "Depression" is just a overdeveloped personality trait of yours. You're probably just a generally more melancholic person and being sad feels more intense to you than to other people. Medications will just fuck with your brain chemistry, don't try to change your personality, the biggest parts of psychiatry are just one big money making scheme.
>>
>>37263590
>actual depression doesn't exist
Come on man, you can do better than that
>>
>>37263590
Clinical depression is chronic apathy rather than melancholic brooding though. Zero motivation isn't particularly useful as far as personality quirks go.
>>
>>37263528
start drinking coffee, keep dark chocolate around, and work out.

you want endorphins. And dont stop working out.

it can help your mood and allow you to be more easily distracted from whatever you are worrying about.
>>
>>37263650
Personality traits don't need to be useful. Being overly empathetic isn't seen as a mental illness either, while it certainly brings big disadvanteges with it.
>>
>>37263702
It's not a trait so much as a quirk, anon. It's like a glitch. Moreover, if the disadvantages are enough to despise the condition, why not seek change?
>>
Literally the only thing that ever worked for me was a lifestyle change. Figure out the things that are making you depressed, and do whatever is in your power to change them. It'll be hard as fuck, and your depression will make it feel impossible. But I really feel so much better now - I only fall into crippling apathy, inability to see the point of anything, and desire to erase myself from the universe once every couple of months now.
>>
>>37263784
My whole point is if it is really possible to actually change in a natural way? Of course, medication can surpress your quirks, but at what cost? Would you want to risk to fuck with your personality just to get rid of a part of yourself? Besides, do you really trust psychiatrists? Just look at people in mental wards that get pumped full with drugs because they were "diagnosed" with something.
>>
>>37263669
I'm not OP. I've ended up doing this. When I drink and eat chocolate and work out, it helps. Atm im not sure if its just withdrawal being terrible that is making me feel like it helps by contrast and I've adjusted to it so much that I need it to not be worse off than before I started taking it (chocolate and coffee). It has some negative side effects but I also drink matcha and high grade green tea and it helps against those side effects. Considering trying to buy theanine or only drink matcha and gyakuro forms of green tea because "normal" green tea doesn't have ideal amounts of theanine.
>>
>>37263879
SSRIs don't suppress who you are. They just disable serotonin stagnancy. Whether a person should medicate is different than whether a person should deal with their depression too. From my experience, I've found you can successfully fend off depression without medicating. A person's mileage may vary however. As a side note, I think it's important to mention that we're fluid rather than static mentally. Our personality will change regardless; although, I would advice protecting what keeps us remotely human.
>>
>>37263528
I was on SSRI, whether or not coincidence, my depression went from melancholy brooding to clinical apathy after being on them. I talked to a psychiatrist, but she didn't get me at all and it had no effect.
>>
>>37264079
I'm not the one you responded to, but I took SSRIs and it suppressed who I was, prevented me from really dealing with my emotions and what was happening at the time that was stressful and traumatic (I was able to just shove them aside instead) and caused permanent side effects with stunted feelings and worse general cognition after I stopped using them (and yes I was told to stop using them by a psychiatrist and I didn't quite cold turkey).

I never really noticed or realized how they affected me at the time. I only understood in hindsight. I see the same shit happening to others now too and I can notice who is on which of some psychiatric drug types I was given and some I have 2nd hand experience with before they tell me because I see what kind of stunted they are.

History will remember these drugs as harshly as we remember the practice of lobotomy now.
>>
>>37264268
In principle, from what've I've read, they shouldn't have affected you like that. I'm not really advocating for medicating anyway though. I never bothered with SSRIs myself.
>>
>>37263528
Oh hey, didn't see you there. Many people will say shit like "all depression is unique" or "there is no one solution to depression." Those people are idiots, depression is just a bug.

All you need to do is open up your console and type in "var e_d_glp = " and then any number above 0 but below 1. Sometimes that value gets converted from a float to a short, so it gets truncated to 0 instead of what it should be.
>>
>>37264268
I posted the one above you, but yeah, very similar experience. My personality became and is more schizoid like now. I've been off them for 3 years, and every time I visit my doctor (who knows of my anhedonia), he asks me if I want to start on antidepressants. You get them so easily, and they are probably much more damaging than people realize.

Plus, doctors wont believe you when you say you think you got like this because of the antideps
>>
>>37263528
It depends of your symptoms, their intensity, how functional you are at the moment, wether or not an external cause is present, etc.

If your depression was triggered by psychological issues (given that you're posting in this board), psychotherapy is the treatment of choice. If it's mild enough (you feel bad but can function, enjoy some things, good appetite, can be interested in things, etc), you can try with exercise, lifestyle changes and introspection (identifying the roots or stressors and working on changing your mentality/coping style, which requires active effort). If you truly don't have enough willpower/mental resources (not just being somewhat weak and unmotivated but otherwise fine), you should seek for a psychiatrist. In this "type" of depression, drugs are helpful to rise your willpower so you're able to function (studies, work) and then help yourself out of depression. They're a crutch, the rest is up to you.

Drugs must be prescribed when the benefit (ability to function) outweighs the risk (side-effects, some of them mental and very inconvenient) in such a magnitude that you should be objectively and subjectively better while on them. So, drugs are only absolutely needed when your will is too weak to improve by your means, in more severe cases (can't even get up, can't concentrate, can't enjoy anything, disabling apathy, insomnia, weight loss, etc) and in mostly endogenous/biologic depression.

>>37263590
A melancholic temperament is not the same as clinical depression. There is meme depression too but chronic severe MDD might be as crippling as schizophrenia. In these cases treatment is always needed to be barely functional. Lingering "sadness" and "brooding" alone are not depression. Depressive mood is only an unspecific symptom. Depressive sadness is qualitatively different than normal sadness and often has no reason to exist. Moreover, when depression is severe enough, the patient can't even feel sadness and becomes emotionally numb.
>>
File: 1494502922153.gif (306KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1494502922153.gif
306KB, 600x450px
>>37263650
Depression is a natural reaction to this fucked up world around us everybody else is just crazy
>>
>>37264404
Yeah its a pattern of the whole thing being buried because there isn't really any good reporting system to catch mass side effects that "shouldn't happen". When I talk to people to who took them, more than half have the same experience we did.

Doctors won't write down people having side effects or any form of notice of concern because they don't want to have the spotlight for "believing some dumb patient or hypochondriac and getting ridiculed by peers".

There's also no proper reporting system for patient self-reporting based statistics on side effects

My father is a big-shot medical professional and he pretty much confirms that the entire medical industry is manipulated through the channels of communications being shaped in ways that reduce chances of any critical analysis or data of pharmaceutical products reaching most doctors. This is done through affecting politicians and through that, reporting systems and study standards and requirements, through having a financial strangehold on journals through ad revenue, in some countries through straight up bribery and through them sponsoring and organizing a large portion of major medical conferences, which grants them control over information flow and the perception of what is mainstream (and thus acceptable, and thus "what should be your opinion if you don't want to be ostracized") and what is not. Doctors are as much sheep as others.
>>
File: keats.jpg (14KB, 140x200px) Image search: [Google]
keats.jpg
14KB, 140x200px
>>37263528

In my experience there's nothing you can do. It just fades over time, sometimes suddenly. I've been depressed for months on end and one day it just lifts like a fog. Make the best of it.

No, no, go not to Lethe, neither twist
Wolf's-bane, tight-rooted, for its poisonous wine;
Nor suffer thy pale forehead to be kiss'd
By nightshade, ruby grape of Proserpine;
Make not your rosary of yew-berries,
Nor let the beetle, nor the death-moth be
Your mournful Psyche, nor the downy owl
A partner in your sorrow's mysteries;
For shade to shade will come too drowsily,
And drown the wakeful anguish of the soul.

But when the melancholy fit shall fall
Sudden from heaven like a weeping cloud,
That fosters the droop-headed flowers all,
And hides the green hill in an April shroud;
Then glut thy sorrow on a morning rose,
Or on the rainbow of the salt sand-wave,
Or on the wealth of globed peonies;
Or if thy mistress some rich anger shows,
Emprison her soft hand, and let her rave,
And feed deep, deep upon her peerless eyes.

She dwells with Beauty - Beauty that must die;
And Joy, whose hand is ever at his lips
Bidding adieu; and aching Pleasure nigh,
Turning to poison while the bee-mouth sips:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine,
Though seen of none save him whose strenuous tongue
Can burst Joy's grape against his palate fine;
His soul shalt taste the sadness of her might,
And be among her cloudy trophies hung.
>>
Just do a few fat lines of ketamine, you'll feel better after the trip.
>>
File: nothing.png (300KB, 795x557px) Image search: [Google]
nothing.png
300KB, 795x557px
>>37264488
I was depressed 2 years ago. So, this explains why i no longer have emotions.
Guess when she rejected me, it left a deep psychological cut.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.