[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fellow NEETs and autodidacts: Which fields are worth studying

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: d.jpg (29KB, 375x512px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
29KB, 375x512px
Fellow NEETs and autodidacts:

Which fields are worth studying alone purely for personal edification? Ignore career prospects.

So far I'm thinking

Psychology - improve the way you interact with others including to gain an advantage in certain situations

Philosophy - this is simply a patrician subject to be knowledgeable in, adds +100 wisdom

Economics - not necessarily to make money in things like stock trading, but to help understand political ideologies and where they succeed and fail economically
>>
There's also programming, to work on your own projects, but if you're gonna get good at it don't do it for free.
>>
Are sites like coursera any good?

I know MIT posts their lectures online but it's mostly science and engineering.

YouTube I find awful, mostly pajeets doing it from their homes.
>>
File: 1494037823810.jpg (43KB, 326x641px) Image search: [Google]
1494037823810.jpg
43KB, 326x641px
beauty and cosmetics - this is a great subject to study because you can basically learn to be beautiful for F R E E. all you need to do is read ebooks about beauty and start applying their strategies and get better about it from there. its a great idea to go from a ugly stinky need to a handsome good looking neet

body building - also a great thing to do and study. having a great body and perfect skin and skintone makes you feel lovely

those are just 2 im into right now. theres other stuff about like statistics off the loveless and the love deprived, but thats more in the back to-do section
>>
File: 1391711641543.jpg (4KB, 250x221px) Image search: [Google]
1391711641543.jpg
4KB, 250x221px
>>37239527
I'd say Philosophy and Economics. Two subjects with contradictions and different visions. It's even better if you have the opportunity to discuss about it with friends and family.

Then, you work on your eloquence and rhetoric.
>>
I like psychology but try to avoid the stuff about humans, that's boring. I do enjoy some of the human factors and I&O psych though. Experimental is where the good shit is.

Philosophy is just a given, every neet will spend considerable time poring over the great works. We can't ignore the arts though. I just finished a biography on Francis Bacon last night, fascinating man.

Economics is good but I'm afraid I haven't really found any books on the subject that aroused by interest very much. Instead I find myself drawn to hobby specific works regarding biochemistry and metabolism of fungi and the occasional wood/metal/plastic working material.

I almost feel bad for the wagie. They laugh at us for spending time enriching ourselves and furthering the world's understanding in selected fields, but I know deep down they are envious. Who could feel good about doing what they do?
>>
>>37239814
>eloquence and rhetoric
This is extremely important. Nobody will give a fuck about what you have to say if you can't talk or write well.
>>
>>37239771
Becoming beautiful and aesthetic is not really edification, it's a physical transformation rather than an intellectual one.
>>
>>37239873
>Economics is good but I'm afraid I haven't really found any books on the subject that aroused by interest very much

For me Thomas Sowell and Milton Friedman were what got me into it, but they are both Libertarian so you might want something more neutral to understand the concepts without focusing too much on the ideology.
>>
>>37239873
>I almost feel bad for the wagie. They laugh at us for spending time enriching ourselves and furthering the world's understanding in selected fields, but I know deep down they are envious. Who could feel good about doing what they do?

Inventors, athletes, business owners (unless it's a bakery or something), professors etc. they all get paid to do what they love.

Working doesn't have to be flipping burgers you know.
>>
File: 1391711270058.jpg (15KB, 183x241px) Image search: [Google]
1391711270058.jpg
15KB, 183x241px
>>37239873
>I know deep down they are envious. Who could feel good about doing what they do?
Having a job and enriching yourself is possible. It's even more pleasurable because you organize your time then you're more productive at what you do.

It's a satisfaction to do everything as you planed, again, right on time.
>>
>>37240123
but thats objectively wrong? studying ANYTHING is how you improve intellectually

>Becoming beautiful and aesthetic is not really edification

what does edification mean? "the instruction or improvement of a person morally or intellectually." according to google

so its just improvement in anything that requires the use of the mind. and its not easy to apply beauty products and be good looking, otherwise your ugly ass probably wouldnt be here. thats why its correct to study it and learn about it from people who know what they're talking about, beauty is a science.

>it's a physical transformation rather than an intellectual one
oh, so if you study how to build robots, its not edification because its a physical thing and not a intellectual one?

i mean... if you're going to autistically nitpick at least be correct
>>
File: 1394026621966.jpg (16KB, 247x253px) Image search: [Google]
1394026621966.jpg
16KB, 247x253px
>>37240901
This nigga is partially right. I'd add the fact that learning good manners, being a bit fit (at least not fat) and knowing what to wear in certain situations is extremely important; for you and people around you.

All your clothes and manners can boost your charisma and also help with your confidence. >>37240123
Don't tell me that you're not feeling better when you're clean, shaved and wearing quality clothes.
>>
>>37240901
>fashon and body building
>studying
Ok ok, brainlet... I know you're really smart for watching some fags posing on journals
>>
>>37240147
Thanks, I'll check it out. I tend to lean libertarian so unless it's just over the top it shouldn't be much of an issue.

>>37240697
The only you mentioned was professor, and they hate being made to teach. If they were neet they could do all the professor shit they want without teaching.

>>37240762
So it's more enjoyable because you can't enrich yourself as much? I could just set an alarm or some other arbitrary limits on my activities, I don't see how a job does that better. It can only lower productivity, never will it increase under such a system.
>>
learning how to really write is a great way to pass the time and actually do something productive for once in your pathetic existence, even if what you produce is shit.
>>
>>37241054

The whole point of men's fashion is so you don't have to know what to wear. 99% of the time casual menswear is appropriate. I might look a little spiffy for 'ballgame or a little too fun for funeral but jacket, shirt, and slacks fit anywhere. I might need to get a white tie set if I ever win the Nobel prize but until then I'm covered without having to waste time. Instead of look I go by weather and material. Linen and other light shit for warm, heavier wools when cold. It's fail proof. Pull any shirt, belt, pants, shoes, and socks from my closet at random and they go together. This gives a peace of mind so I can focus on what I really care about. Don't get we wrong, my ego would never allow to look like shit, but I'm not trying to be a supermodel either.
>>
>>37241309
This is a neet thread, I think your comment would be more useful for the wagies. Most neets already write extensively in both private diaries and professional publications.
>>
Ignore philosophy since you learn alot of philosophy in it. By taking philosophy, all you are learning is what a bunch of old men think, and if you disagree, you are a closeminded bigot.
>>
>>37241475
*learn alot of philosophy in psychology

Is what I meant to type.
>>
>>37241411
>neets write extensively in professional publications
okay
>>
File: 126.jpg (32KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
126.jpg
32KB, 184x184px
>>37241301
>I could just set an alarm or some other arbitrary limits on my activities, I don't see how a job does that better
As this anon >>37240697 said you can find enrichment in your job, see different people. It's part of your network.

You could be right if money wasn't a problem. And having a job is part of a lifestyle after all. I mean, not being productive and not contributing to the society, and instead spend your time reading (interesting) books is a bit spooky mate.

Now, your going to say, that I'm a sheep and workers are formatted by the society etc. But if you're aware of that, you have everything in hand to change what you want and fix your goals. You just have to work.
>>
File: 1484683347021.png (38KB, 863x651px) Image search: [Google]
1484683347021.png
38KB, 863x651px
>>37239527
Psychology is a major bore Don't bother with it.
>>
>>37239682
libgen.io
>>
File: 1420453782219.png (126KB, 574x581px) Image search: [Google]
1420453782219.png
126KB, 574x581px
>>37239527
Personally I think arts/skills and world culture are the real patrician things to study in one's neetness. Learning to draw, cook, play instruments and other things that make your life richer and brings happiness to others is always time well spent. And of course things like the human canon in literature, film, architecture, and other fine arts, these will help a person connect with others of his kind and have more shared experiences with others.

I used to be the type that liked learning trivia and other dispirit "facts", definitely an obnoxious stemlord in the making who was used to being asked "do you know everything" by normies. Yes I knew how to solve a rubiks cube, yes I knew pi to over 100 places. But as I've matured all that trivia just seems trivial, and I think studying things that make a person more able and connected are the right path.
>>
>>37239814
>Contradictory
>he doesn't know about the philosophy of economy
>>
This bump may not be original, but it is a bump
>>
>>37239527
physics cause u will be great at understandig the world
>>
>>37239527
Foreign languages.
It broadens your mind, open new cultures for you, and gives a ton of posibilities. Like dating Japanese girl, for example.
Disregard that, robots can not date.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.