[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

High paying blue collar jobs?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_6715.jpg (77KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6715.jpg
77KB, 300x300px
What are some decent paying jobs that don't require a degree or several years of training? I dropped out of college cause i couldn't decide on a major.
>>
Plumber, electrician, carpenter, welder, any specialized trade job really, but it depends where you live too
>>
>>37207110
>What are some decent paying jobs that don't require a degree or several years of training?

None, you fucking dolt.

Getting a decent trade takes years of school as an apprentice with okay-ish pay.

You get out of it what you put into it. Sounds like you don't wanna put shit into it, so you won't get shit out of it.
>>
>>37207110
I get paid $19.00/hr to place logs in a wood chipper. I have to carry a lot of stuff and it can get tiring, though.

I had no experience and they started me off at $18.50. Just ask around, OP. Construction jobs may be hard work, but they can shell out around $15.00/hr starting fee.

It IS hard work, though...
>>
>>37207264
This. You spend your first several years as an apprentice making a barely livable wage. Once you hit journeyman though you're pretty much set, and if you're in a city and your trade has a union you're in really good shape, career-wise.

You're still looking at several years of 12-15/hr
>>
>>37207264
this
put your fucking years in
and you too can be making 37 dollars an hour at 26
>>
>>37207110
You want good pay without putting any effort into it?

Your only option is dangerous off-shore oil rig, deep cave mining, or alaskan crab fishing. You need to do a job that is hazardous to your health that nobody else wants to do, working 14 hour days, if you want to meet your qualifications.
>>
you will be paid slightly above minimum wage for the first 3 years and fucking your health badly while at it

by the time you have your own tools and employees its gonna be 10 fucking years, and keep in mind that freelancers pay a hideous amount of taxes
>>
>>37207264
Bullshit. Most small businesses will hire you with little to no experience if you show you are competent and willing to learn. HVAC, plumbing, and electrical training might involve some special training but most of those guys learn on the job. Depends on where you live like another anon said as there might be some union bullshit you need to deal with.

Carpentry is the easiest one to get into because you don't need to worry about zapping yourself or not worrying about as many codes as plumbers or electricians run into. Unions are rare depending where you live and where you work. Look small ask people you know, friends of friends etc to find people who will hire you. The benifits of carpentry is that you have versatility in what you want to build, and learn other trades along the way. Want to build cabinets? Do it. Floors? Have at it. Want to build a decked out wet bar with lights? Go for it.
>>
>>37207418
>and keep in mind that freelancers pay a hideous amount of taxes

But on the flip side, at least here in Canada, a lot of shit can be written off as being needed for business.

Phone? Truck? Tools? For your business. Write offs.
>>
>>37207110
Machine operator any processing field.

You could make anywhere from 10 to 32 dollars depending what company.

I get 23 and there is always plenty of overtime.
>>
I'm making 65k a year at 7 months experience as a truck driver. Home every weekend. Pretty boring job but it's damn easy to get into and you can get a CDL for like $2500 and a month or two of training, or you can go to a company sponsored training program.

There are plenty of higher paying jobs if you feel like getting extra endorsements.
>>
>>37207110
Build a time machine and go back to the 1950s, you could have a high quality of life while being a highschool dropout working at one of the countless auto plants/steel mills/white goods plants.
>>
>>37207707
Elaborate please I've always "wanted" to drive trucks even knowing it's apprently very stressful

What other certificates are you referring to?
>>
>>37207110
My dad is a service lineman for the local electrical company(he's the guy that gets your power back on after a storm) and he makes around $60 an hour. Hes been doing it for 30 years though so you defiintely don't start at that amount
>>
>>37207418

This is true, HS friend is an electrician, small 3 man team, took home over $200k in a year, after taxes and everything, it was around $50k
>>
>>37207981
Most truck drivers are CDL-A drivers. Typically 53 foot long trailers.
The other endorsements you can get are doubles/triples (which is simply just pulling more trailers, but smaller), tanker, and hazmat.

They typically can add a touch more stress to the job than just pulling your regular trailers, but they pay a good bit more.
Also, it's only stressful when you're in tight cities. Most of the time im just in the middle of nowhere.
>>
Come do solar with me

Starts at $20/hr
>>
>>37208201
Thanks fellow robot
really debating quitting college for it only person you deal with is dispatchers mostly and that's not even in person
>>
>>37208218
How
;-;
Tell me more senpai
>>
File: 1495005665718.jpg (242KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495005665718.jpg
242KB, 1280x960px
>>37208201
>it's only stressful when you're in tight cities
I drive a straight truck in NYC and I can't tell you how many times I've seen a guy with a full trailer impossibly stuck at an intersection for like, 45 minutes. Nobody cuts them any slack, edges right up to them as they're making wide turns and shit. I feel bad for em.
>>
>>37208324
Hello anon i do the same shit in the same city today sucked dick again, everyone forgets how to drive in the rain. And yea no one ever respects truck drivers unless its another driver.
>>
File: 1495467416469.jpg (76KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495467416469.jpg
76KB, 960x960px
>>37208515
>mfw on E 4th St. today behind Black Camry with TLC plates going 3mph looking for his fare
>>
File: punch3.png (95KB, 555x512px) Image search: [Google]
punch3.png
95KB, 555x512px
>>37207707
I'm in trucking school now.
>14 hour days
I'm gonna do bus and go back to college and fuck with that for a minute.
>>
>>37207707
Trucking is literally the next thing to be automized
>>
I want to do a trade but I don't know if I could actually do the physical work. I didn't go to college so I don't really have any other options.
>>
>>37207222
This post is all you need to read OP
Get started
>>
>>37208284
Except for the 3 - 12 weeks of training you'll have to endure where you quite literally share a life with another person in a little box 24/7.

That whole experience almost made me quit. But get past that and you're fucking set for life.

Also, never do dry van (big rectangular boxes that comprise 90% of trucks on the road). Always specialize. Flatbed is easy to get into as a starter and pays a hell of a lot more than dry van. Tanker + Hazmat is where the real money is at but almost invariably requires a few years of experience.
>>
>>37207264
I'm okay with this. As long as I'm able to work at something that is productive and involves some knowledge and my hands I'll be super happy.
>>
>>37207110
Machinists make decent money if you put in the years. You're not going to make 6 figures doing manual labor under normal circumstances m8...don't get your hopes up.

t. worked blue collar for almost a decade
>>
>>37208827
>This fucking meme

Please educate yourself before you make wild claims regarding the state of any thing
>>
It really fucking bothers me that the job market is so fucked up that you can't just apply and try some shit out without spending several years of your life dedicating yourself to it.
>I dont know what I want to do in life
>Lol just apply and dont worry about it
Then when I apply
>Sorry anon you need to go to a trade school and/or get a degree in x, y, or z to apply
All jobs are fucking like this now.
>>
>>37208308
Usually only requires you aren't afraid of heights
>>
>>37209517
HOW BOUT YOU READ THE FUCKING NEWS, ITS LITERALLY ON THE FOREFRONT OF THE AUTOMATION REVOLUTION. YOUR SHIT JOB GOES FIRST
>>
>>37209802

Ok, but there are legal precedents that prevent AI like that from being released into the public in mass. It's going to take decades.
>>
>>37210330
kek, theyre already trying it, its already in motion, I guarantee in less than a decade, theyll be out on the roads
>>
>>37210359

I'm pretty sure most "self driving" cars are only semi autonomous. They usually have a person behind the wheel as a safety check.
>>
>>37207110
Go to trade school, no left-wing faggots wasting your time talking about safe spaces and cultural appropriation , and you'll get in the work force much faster.
>>
>>37210399

Yeah, its still in the testing phase, but its already on the road though. Theyre already fixing the weird quirks
>>
>>37208827
>>37209802
>>37210359
>>37210437

Remember to think before you type, kids, or you'll end up like this guy,
>>
>>37210615

Says the obese truck driver with the social life of a goth teen
>>
>>37207110
Look for machine operating positions, these vary a lot though, I know at my job you can only be promoted to one and they pay aboit 20.40 an hour. but the starting pay for the entry level position is 14.40

other factorys ma vary though.
>>
>>37210707

>Factory job

The future is in tech
>>
>>37209579
Here it requires a 4 year apprenticeship and someone willing to take you on.
>>
>>37207110
Join the army pretty much.
oregano oregano give me the formuoli
>>
>>37207315
Really depends where/who you work for. I started out as a machine operator making $15.25 and just recently got accepted as a tool and die apprentice which starts at $17.72(and $33.72 when I get my ticket).

But I work for a union fortune 500 company so that probably helps with the ok wage.
>>
>>37207222
Trades make bank. I'm an IT engineer but I'd give it up to be a welder.
>>
>>37207110
You're going to have a hard time finding a trade that pays decent and doesn't require some training. One of the nice things about the trades is you can get a bunch of your training on the job. Sure, the intro pay isn't great, although it's still better than flipping burgers, but you basically get paid to learn while you work. Also, many companies promote primarily from within so you can move up in pay relatively quickly.

Also, and this isn't often talked about, a ton of the people doing trades aren't particularly entrepreneurial or good with money. If you have those skills you can be really successful running your own business. Or running a side business while working for a larger company.

I did welding/weld inspection in West Texas and ND during the oil/fracking boom and made very good money. Things have slowed down considerably but there is still good money if you have the talent for it.

I now run my own business doing custom metalwork for high end architecture firms around LA, these people are very price insensitive, and I also have a full time job welding rockets.
>>
File: e8f.png (418KB, 448x486px) Image search: [Google]
e8f.png
418KB, 448x486px
>>37212402

Damn bro why are you here?
>>
>>37212543

LARPing

>>
I dropped out of college and started an electrical apprenticeship.
Took me 3 years to become qualified. Once qualified I did a stint in the mines for 3 years, very long days and was away from home 3 out of 4 weeks. The money was good, bout 5k a week after tax.

Once I was done with that, I moved home and bought into a small electrical contracting company. 5 Years later we now employ 150 staff and I'm a fucking millionaire.. Life is one big pick a path and timing makes champions
>>
>>37212543
Mostly nostalgia. I used to hang out here when I was younger and I like dropping in from time to time. Plus I used to suffer from pretty serious social anxiety and OCD which made me fit in with all the other robots. Now I'm just down to OCD.

>>37212585
>LARPing
Larping would've been if I said I was a girl(female) welder making $500k/year.
>>
Before you anon kids turn into op, do a bachelor in natural science and become a food inspector if you can't think of shit. Just go around peoples shops and tell them to clean their kitchens. Tick and flick.
>>
>>37212611

>I dropped out of college and started an electrical apprenticeship.

I'm about to do this. If I just wind up makingenough to have a family and a house one day I'll be on cloud fucking 9.
>>
>>37212676
That's all I wanted. Being a qualified electrician pays enough for you to live comfortability enough. I'm not sure where you live but in NZ/AUS you won't get less than $30.00 ph + vehicle.. if your work your way up to project management you're looking at 120k+
>>
>>37212747
I did electrical project management for a few years, was a great gig. Pretty much worked from the cafe or Pub the whole time.
>>
File: 1495442513249.jpg (15KB, 477x539px) Image search: [Google]
1495442513249.jpg
15KB, 477x539px
>>37212666

Interesting story my friend. Interesting indeed.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.