[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here who can drive stick? I bought a car and got where

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (98KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 1280x960px
Anyone here who can drive stick? I bought a car and got where shifting on the road is easy but i still get a little acard during starting because id hate to pull out in the road in traffic and stall. also tried hill starts in a parkibg lot and would almost always squeal the tires, roll back or stall. if i squealed the tires though i did go forward

any advice? have any of you ever stalled in the middle of the road? what happens if you cant get your car to start in the road dobthe cops come?
>>
If you can't drive stick you're a yank child
>>
>>37206665
>what happens if you cant get your car to start in the road

You try again. If it really has a problems and won't go you roll it off the road.
>>
>>37206665
>any advice?

More time in the car. That leads to more stalls, but you get good in about 2 weeks. I still stall in traffic on occasion(1-2 times a month) with 10 years of experience.

Welcome to the true driving experience. You won't leave the warm hug of the pressure plate once you get the hang of it.

Personal favorite memories of driving stick
>spending time with my dad in a church parking lot learning to drive stick
>2 weeks later nail the start in a loaded 103hp shitbox on the steepest hill in the city with a car on your ass.
>cheating on your manuaiafu with a different car.
>>
>>37207095
lol thanks man

is it kinda shameful that id either stall or make the tires leave marks the first couple days practicing going up hill in a parking lot? im gonna practice more since ive watched some videos
>>
If you stall out just put it in neutral, push the clutch in, and turn the engine on. As long as you can get it to move in first you don't have to worry about getting stuck anywhere, though you might make an ass of yourself, but most stickies have been there at one time or another. Getting the thing moving is the trickiest part of manual anyway. Just comes down to practice and getting used to the car you're driving. Think of it like moving a muscle, gas is the blood it needs to do its thing, the clutch actually tells it when to move, at least from a stop. You'll figure out the amount of either peddle you need to use as you drive it more, just don't use fast jerky movements with your feet. If you're on a hill and not confident in your abilities you can cheat and use your e-brake to keep you from falling back until you get moving. Also put it in neutral when you're stopped, don't have the clutch pressed in all the time.
>>
>>37207431
>just put it in neutral

The clutch is good enough.

One foot on the clutch, other on brake, heel on accelerator if needed. If its some newfag car you may need to do other shit to keep the computer happy.
>>
>>37206665
On a hill just alter the clutch/gas until you feel the car start to pull very slightly, then release the parking brake and off you trot
>>
>>37207170
Not all. No one notices new stick drivers because people pick the skill quick.

It all comes down to feel. Once you have it you have it for life. You will need a few hours in a new to you car to be comfortable, but you won't stall it. I bought a new to me car with a 5 speed last month. I never stalled during the test drives, but it took me a few starts to adjust to the catch points and shifting feel of different cars.

IMO Honda makes the best manuals for A to B cars. Short, crisp shifts with little play in the stick will make me come back to Honda for my next shitbox
>>
>>37207490
And you don't even need the brake if its flat or rolling forward.
>>
>>37207529
is using the handbrake cheating since hravy trucks parkibg brakes are an air switch and they dont use them at stops?
>>
>>37207490
Newer manuals actually have rollback prevention wizardry going on in the transmission.

I can drive manual but there's a lot of hills and traffic in my city so automatic is very justifiable, and really the computer is more fuel efficient than I could ever be. If I ever get rich enough to have a Fun Car besides the commuter car then that will be manual.
>>
File: hh.jpg (10KB, 288x146px) Image search: [Google]
hh.jpg
10KB, 288x146px
>>37207616
>have rollback prevention wizardry going on in the transmission

>Since 1936

My mothers first car had one and also freewheel.
>>
>>37207613
>>37207616

IIRC hill hold is a common feature in many newer 5 and 6 speeds. I never tried it, but it is cheating more than using the hand brake.

>>37207616
Manuals beat out autos in fuel efficiency up until 2010. I will spend $3 more a month on gas to have a fun driving experience.
>>
>>37207838
how do you start on hills? is it okay to hold the brake and start letting off the clutch then go for the gas? lettibg off the brake and trying to gas it makes me roll back
>>
I recently got into sticks. 10x better than autos. I've gotten good enough that I forget it's a stick.
Just practice with your clutch and where it likes to engage and disengage. I have two different manual cars and prefer the one over the other but both are fine.
About 1/2 way on the clutch for both, and you don't have to push the pedal all the way to the floor.
I live in Pittsburgh so hill abound. If you're really scared, just floor the gas and slowly let up the clutch. You'll burn shit but you'll get the hang eventually
>>
>>37207968
lol thats the method i was doing but but accident

i could smell the tires a few times :/

if i just practice you think ill get it down?

thanks for replying
>>
>>37207995
If you let the clutch up too fast youll smell tires. Too slow and you'll smell oil other shit. It's fine occasionally but don't do it too much for obvious reasons. I'm still not great in super steep hills but yeah, you should get used to it.
At hills for me it's like this
>neutral
>light turns green
>shift to first as soon as bars in front move/my turn
>keep foot on clutch 1/2 or just under, so that it's not quite disengaging
>at the same time as shifting, start the gas pedal until it revs a little
>let that pedal a very small amount as soon as you feel you have enough
>once it starts moving, let the clutch up more and more, and keep gas constant
Not the best explanation, but I probably couldn't do that much better in real life so
>>
>>37206665
ebek
>>
>>37207879
just pull the hand break and when you feel the clutch stat to grab take it off, thats probably the easiest and least shitty way to start on a hill.

Or you can do the thing that is horrible for your engine and feather the gas and clutch constantly so you stay in the same place.
>>
>>37207995
>i could smell the tires a few times :/
That's a good thing anon!
>>
>>37207995

Probably better to smell tire than clutch. Your car should be fine dealing with some noob grinding and stalling as long as you're actually getting better, just focus on practice for now.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.