[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are home security systems really worth it? How easily defeatable

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: think.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
think.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
Are home security systems really worth it? How easily defeatable are they?
>>
just go the cheapo route and get some motion detection ip cameras and set up the surveillance program to email you if it detects motion
>>
>>37187393
They let you know when someone enters your house and possibly alert the authorities.The rest is up to you. As >>37187428 said diy is the most configurable and economic solution.
>>
Yes, they really are worth it. Just having fake cameras outside your house will deter the common street thug. My grandmother set one up that was fake and in plain view, then put an ADT sticker on a couple of her windows, and didn't have any serious issues anymore. Granted, she now has the real deal and 8 foot high chainlink fence around her house, but just the "camera" and stickers did a lot for her safety.
>>
File: eek.jpg (24KB, 610x408px) Image search: [Google]
eek.jpg
24KB, 610x408px
>>37187393
>not just waiting in your house, guns loaded
>all hours of the day
>>
>>37187393
My philosophy is this: If someone REALLY wants to rob you, they're gonna do it and get away with it. If you keep gold bars in a safe in your closet and a determined/skilled enough thief knows, then he's gonna get them, despite any security system you may have short of armed guards.

That being said, if you want to prevent the average thief from stealing your television, then yes home security systems are worth it. It's mostly the sound of the alarm and the implication that the security system immediately informs the police that deters them. The commercials aren't just to get you to buy the product, they're putting out the idea that their security system is effective to ingrain it in any would-be thieves minds, even if it can just be defeated by cutting the power to the main box.

When you buy they're going to try and up-sell you, don't do it. Unless you leave your $5,000 Rolex on your nightstand next to your Tiffany lamp and wallet stuffed with $100s you don't need a security system that will stay powered through an outage and automate the locks of your doors and garage and your thermostat and the lights of your home so you can operate them from 100 miles away (unless that's something you want). A few sensors on the windows and doors and a couple cameras inside and outside and a basic keypad alarm system is enough.
>>
File: 1495333097299.jpg (28KB, 519x442px) Image search: [Google]
1495333097299.jpg
28KB, 519x442px
>>37187393
>Are home security systems really worth it?

They are if you have anything worth a shit.

No one really breaks & enters and burgles your house unless they know for fact you have diamond-encrusted gold dildos underneath your socks in the bottom left-hand drawer of the dresser that's underneath your bedroom window.

Not unless you live in or around a really shitty area where crackheads will bust in to steal whatever pocket change you might have in junk drawers.
>>
>>37187393
Just go on Ebay and buy an ADT sign.

The best thing a home security system provides is a deterrence to niggers. So why spend hundreds or thousands on one when you can buy a $10 sign and get the same results?
>>
>>37187801
I knew a guy who went to great lengths to try and formulate ways to break into random houses just to piss on their stuff. He didn't want to steal anything, just piss on something like their bed or clothing or whatever else he targeted. Got away with it a few times, not caught as of now but it's been a few years since we talked. Weird due but super smart on home invasion, had all kinds of gadgets like camera detectors and a hat with LEDs on it for some reason
>>
>>37187921
He was a man with a plan and the skills on hand. I can respect it. I also enjoy absurd headlines like "Man breaks into mansion, urinates on Faberge egg"
>>
File: confederate_pepe.jpg (156KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
confederate_pepe.jpg
156KB, 1024x768px
>not defending your rightful clay yourself with guns
I feel sorry for yurocucks. My old roommate and I once chased off a pack of niggers trying to pry open our back door by threatening to shoot them.
>>
>>37187953
I think it was some fetish thing for him, like he'd be cumming on stuff but that'd leave DNA unlike urine. If that was the case he probably went after what he thought the owners valued the most like he implied on a few occasions. Should become a security expert but he uses it to piss on stuff. Life is absurd
>>
>>37187393

Go get two fake cameras and pound a stanley security sign or whatever the most popular local monitoring company is and there's a better than average chance people are going to leave your shit alone as long as you aren't a fucking idiot who leaves amazon boxes sit outside their house all day.
>>
>>37187979

Alternatively I can just live somewhere there isn't roving bands of thieving niggers.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.