[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

File: 1494648657488.jpg (144KB, 534x539px) Image search: [Google]
1494648657488.jpg
144KB, 534x539px
>tfw want to write
>only story I'm interested in working on is unpublishable because it's too derivative of other shit
>too anxious to even share it with a close friend
>>
I write a bunch but never feel happy with it. The few people who I have shown it to say they like it.

I'm pretty sure they're lying...
>>
>>37003859
>>37003914
I feel you guys. I want to write a novel but I'm so paralyzed by my own self-hatred. No matter what I put down on the page I always hate it, so I just avoid doing any work at all costs.
>>
>>37003958
How do you get over it?
>>
I hope to some day write a great work that compiles a glut of pedophilia, necrophilia, bestiality, and so on, while at the same time being beautifully composed.
I like the idea of it somehow being very popular but basically unpublishable.
>>
>>37003988
I don't, that's the problem
>>
File: 1492765276620.png (640KB, 782x900px) Image search: [Google]
1492765276620.png
640KB, 782x900px
Same. I write stories deriving from video games such as WoW and such. Cried as I wrote about an undead priest and former preacher at his local church, forsaken and risen as one of the Scourge and then later having broken free of the chain, leaving him to wander alone yet something struck him with hope yet again.

Writing this on the phone so sorry if it sounds jumbled. Title's "The Rekindled", as his burning passion for life has reignited.
>>
File: 1481682764374.png (581KB, 438x897px) Image search: [Google]
1481682764374.png
581KB, 438x897px
gtfo r9k n8pai
>>
>>37004194
My first major writing project with a fanfiction. It was a situation where a drunken cheating situation turned into a three-way relationship. I still maintain it's canon friendly.
>>
File: 62391845_p37.jpg (206KB, 732x1004px) Image search: [Google]
62391845_p37.jpg
206KB, 732x1004px
well are you going to post some fucking writing or what? if there's anywhere you can share it without anxiety it's here. I want to see some writing samples.
>>
>>37004273
Alright alright. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11260886/1/All-the-Sunny-Days-to-Come it's the first writing project I've ever done so be gentle, please.
>>
I recently completed a 500 page plus novel (that probably sucks).
It's not that hard, work out the characters, the premise, the plot, and then make a detailed outline.
Shit writes itself after that.
>>
>>37004293
Your sentences are pretty dull bro.
>>
>>37004375
I see. Do you have suggestions on how I can work on that?
>>
>>37004413
Read the elements of style. It's a classic
>>
>>37004425
got it, friend. I'll try and give it a once-over.
>>
>used to write
>do lewd prompts on boards like /co/ and /trash/
>don't know how to further my knowledge as a writer
What do you recommend ? I used to beta test a few fanfiction writers but soon realized it was kinda pointless.
>>
>>37004514
anonymously roleplay on /r9k/ as characters you'd like to write
>>
File: 1493902217052.png (102KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
1493902217052.png
102KB, 299x299px
>>37004552
>tfw I've done this with a girl in my story to the point where people started recognizing my posts
>>
>Want to be a writer
>Can actually write stuff up rather than stare at a blank page
>Too pussy to show anyone
>I know the only way I'll improve is criticism but I'm still too scared
>How am I meant to get a novel published when I can't even handle 2 or 3 people saying what they think?
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 630x420px
>>37004552
I'm not falling for it

Origiri
>>
>you will never be able to just think your ideas onto paper.
>>
>>37004295
Its having the energy to do it. Then again, its having the energy to do anything.

So what is your story about?
>>
File: tumblr_ohhpv48ngX1sh9aw0o1_1280.png (835KB, 1280x785px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohhpv48ngX1sh9aw0o1_1280.png
835KB, 1280x785px
> wrote over 300k words
> most of it is shit
> am losing motivation to continue because it is basically unfinishable

Dunno what to do . I'm skipping over vast swaths of plot just hopefully to get it finished in time. Half the scenes I can barely even write. They seem forced.
>>
>>37005337
Hello Whos and Lice anon
>>
>Have a bunch of ideas
>I don't know which to write first or write at all
>Some ideas are similar to each other or can't be in the same story as they counter each other.
>>
Just write it and quit thinking it's ever going to be as good as the idea in your heads. Quit holding yourselves back and DO it. And if you want to actually succeed, a) file off the serial numbers if it's derivative, and b) attempt to find a middle ground between what you want to write and what people enjoy reading.

Or just write whatever the fuck you want without regard for your audience and what they're looking for, but you have to be really really REALLY talented to make a living doing that.

Don't know how to say this without being a faggot but I'm an extremely successful novelist and 90% of doing this is just writing a lot of awful crap until you learn to write sentences and stories that anyone cares about. You don't even have to show anyone, just DO it.
>>
>>37003859
>working on project
>story told as a series of documents (articles, governmental declarations, journal entries ect.)
>Right now things a bit boring because building up to major plot event
>Whenever I'm motivated to write I don't want to work on that part.
>do something else
>lose desire to write
>>
>>37005920
I see. That hurts to hear, but I think you're probably right. For me, the important part of writing is conveying meaning. It's the one way I feel like I can finally communicate to people what I have in my head. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me, mentally but I think it must be some kind of mild autism. Because of this, I always feel that people can't understand what I'm trying to convey. So naturally, I want to get exactly whats in my head down on the page.
>>37006030
So is it like the SCP foundation? I actually wrote a few articles for them when I was around 16.
>>
File: 1494305205502.png (976KB, 848x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494305205502.png
976KB, 848x1080px
>made up kino story spanning 3 series all in my head since 2015
>only works in graphic novel format and not good enough artist to realize my vision
>>
>>37006041
If you want to have a shot at a career, for now, focus on learning to write fun and engaging stories. People are addicted to narratives. If you can learn to write stories people can't put down, then you can slip whatever meaning you want into them.

I know exactly where you're coming from, right down to the wtf do I have some autism thing, but this is a tough row to hoe. You have to accept that your first 1-5 novels are most likely going to be dumpster fires, so it's best to get them out of the way ASAP and in the process learn to string together 100K words of coherent and meaningful story, which (again, faggotry alert) typically takes a lot longer to learn than music or illustration or just about any other art out there.
>>
>>37006440
I see. I have one idea that I'm really fond of. It's extremely important to me on a personal level. Do you think I should just put it on the backburner and write other stories first?
>>
>>37006440
>>37006501
Yeah the first step to success is accepting that your first novel series is gonna suck. Like really suck. It's not gonna get published, it'll stay on your computer in limbo forever. The entire finished series.

You're not gonna go back to it when you have a publisher either and rewrite large parts of it or edit it or whatever because you'll have a grasping knowledge of the game by then that you know the series is really flawed and it'll require an entire rewrite as you know it just won't work out. It's too much of a mess.

But that series isn't useless. You'll learn a lot writing that first shitty series and without it, you'll go nowhere. It's your practice series. Not novel, series.

It's the same with everything. MMA fighters lose their first few matches, Soccer players play in local teams, musicians and their shitty first band that goes nowhere. Everyone has to go through the first failure. But it's a learning process. For writing it will be that first series of novels that fucking suck. But you'll find with each novel you get better and better and hey maybe that last novel would actually be publishable.

Then the second series comes along and hey some low-tier publisher picked it up and it sold like 20 copies, great!

Then the third series comes along. Hey, it sold 100 copies!

Then the fourth series, hey, it got picked up by a better publisher!

And so on.
>>
>>37006501
Yeah, that's a valid option. Another tactic would be to write it now, do your best with it, and see if agents/Amazon readers like it. If they don't respond, then you can backburner it for a while and take another shot at it later.

Really, this is a vital concept to internalize if you don't want to feel like shit all the time. First of all, no matter how weak the initial execution/first draft feels, you can always fix it up in revision and move it closer to that ideal in your head.

Second, if you feel like your first draft failed altogether, you can start over from scratch with it at a later date. I've got a series I'm in the middle of that right now with--first effort wasn't what I wanted it to be, so I'm backing off, rethinking it, and will try it again in a year or two.

Don't be afraid to tackle your ideas. It won't ruin them if they aren't perfect in the first try. You can always put in more work to get them closer to that vision in your head.
>>
>>37006781
Right... I know that deep down it's just very draining. I need to just buckle in and get it done but [!!!!]depression[!!!!] makes it hard to do anything, even with Adderall
>>
>>37006839
I'd be lying if I said I had a sure-fire solution to this.

What I can say is I found a great deal of personal validation in sitting down and finishing stories and books. That was meaningful to me, and made me feel better about myself for having done the work, even if it wasn't very good. All kinds of people start things. Few finish them.

I typed out a bunch of faux-inspirational garbage, but just deleted it--and actually just did it a second time. So I'll say something even stupider instead.

You only have one life. If you want to write, try to write. This will take years to resolve, but either you will reach some success, or you will fail until you don't have the energy to keep trying.

Failing hurts hard. But I've always hated myself more for letting myself be too afraid to put myself in position to fail.
>>
>>37003859
harry fucking potter was extremely derivative and parts of it were arguably plagarized, and the writing quality was total garbage, but that didn't stop it from becoming a sensation

same thing goes for shakespeare's hamlet, desu
>>
>>37008165
uh, except for the writing quality part. hamlet was p. well written. I should go to bed
>>
I'm some faggot writer who plans to self-publish his shit and I happened to find this thread right before I went to bed.

I don't know how good my stuff could be considered, but if anyone wants to take a look, here's the opening to my novel.

I can't be fucked to make the formatting look good in pastebin right now, but here it is https://pastebin.com/SAiVFBJH

The story is about a moon dweller who visits the earth to talk diplomacy with a group of migrants to the earth, but it doesn't go well. A young man finds a dying rabbit lying in a parking lot, late at night, and soon he finds that the rabbits are coming out of hiding.
>>
>>37004032
edgelord detected

you have to be 18 to post here
>>
File: 89312031.jpg (413KB, 676x1000px) Image search: [Google]
89312031.jpg
413KB, 676x1000px
>tfw all my writing consists of self-indulgent, shit stories that are filled to the brim with jokes only I chuckle at
never gonna make it
>>
>>37003859
>>only story I'm interested in working on is unpublishable because it's too derivative of other shit
50 shades of gray was originally a twilight fanfiction.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.