[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup guys, just got kicked out of the engineering college for

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: dabiz.jpg (319KB, 640x488px) Image search: [Google]
dabiz.jpg
319KB, 640x488px
sup guys,
just got kicked out of the engineering college for failing a major-specific course for the 3rd time.
My GPA is still good enough to remain a student.
What majors should I think about switching into?
Originally I fell for the "engineering is the only profitable choice" meme so this is all new territory for me.
I'm not picky and will welcome any suggestions, even non-university suggestions. I just need some leads to start looking up new possibilities.
>>
>>36961968
What college are you talking about, ASU?
>>
Major in cake farting
>>
>>36961982

University of Oklahoma as a student in the engineering college.
Henceforth I'm banned from the engineering college so all engineering disciplines are closed to me.
So, I'm still a student at OU, but can't choose any majors that are grouped under the college of engineering.
>>
File: mba.png (2MB, 1465x936px) Image search: [Google]
mba.png
2MB, 1465x936px
many failed engineers choose something in the business department then get an MBA
>>
>>36961968
>University
>Making any roi from it
>>
>>36962017
Do you wanna stay in STEM? How about computer science? Other profitable options would be business or econ.
>>
>>36962035
Well, yes, in the right fields.
>implying I want to learn a physical trade..
>>
>>36962190

I have an interest in STEM but I wonder if it's too much of a casual interest to translate into a profession. For instance I never sit around contemplating vector calculus or whatever and I'm certainly not excited by news of ever faster processors.
I tend to be most interested in the humanities/liberal arts. My language professor tried to recruit me for a while but I just don't see what I'm supposed to do with those degrees after college.
What is med or law school like? Is it too late for those?
>>
>>36962240
>What is med or law school like? Is it too late for those?
Sry I can't really help you with that. Maybe some other anon knows more about that.

What do you want your future life to look like? This should give you an idea what fields to pursue and which ones to disregard outright.
>>
>>36961968
I highly recommend you major in geology OP
It's a STEM degree with good job prospects but the subject matter is fairly easy and interesting
>>
>>36962300

>What do you want your future life to look like?

I'm not sure how to answer this question. I spend almost all of my free time alone, either masturbating, practicing guitar and piano, reading, or studying languages. I suppose an ideal future life would be one that affords me a maximum of time to spend on these activities.
>>
>>36962354
Lol you failed out of your own specifically chosen path and for some reason you're struck with the delusion that you can just switch over to "med school or law school" and everything will be just fine

Just give up now, it's not going to end well for you
>>
>>36962451

Thanks for the advice but my life will continue to move forward regardless of whether or not I give up.
In other words I have to do something, and I'd rather not work in food service for the rest of my life.
You're probably placing more significance on my "specifically chosen path" than I ever did.
>>
>>36962354
So you don't plan on having a family or being a high achiever? That may take some of the earning burden off of you chest.
What I'm doing is studying CS with the intention to at some point be able to work from home and live a semi-neet lifestyle while still making good money. This may be applicable to your situation as well.
You could of course also go into language and become a teacher or translator, although I would avoid that field as automation will take over 90% of language based careers within the next 10 years.
There are of course plenty of other options, these just sprang to my head first.

How important is money to you?
>>
>>36962577

>So you don't plan on having a family or being a high achiever?

Not at all.
I have no intention of ever having a family and I'm not a striver. I experience zero anxiety over my economic and social status.
Money is likewise almost entirely unimportant to me. Excepting the need to meet basics like food and shelter, I have no desire for money.
At my school CS is governed by the engineering college so I'm also barred from that major.
>>
>>36962653
God, your so fucking pathetic. Why are you even at college? What purpose does someone like you hope to achieve? Like, if you don't want money, why did you had to take a place at the college? Someone who actually wanted to do something with their life could have been in your place, but no, a worthless (probably) virgin is in complaining about how he is unmotivated.
Christ. How about killing yourself buddy?
>>
>>36962782

>Why are you even at college?

Because I think I want to engage in a profession that affords room to improve and grow rather than unskilled labor that can be mastered in 3 weeks. I have a problem with getting bored very easily. For instance your bullying has zero emotional resonance with me.
>>
>>36962653
Well that gives you a lot of freedom. You can essentially choose to do whatever. I would strongly advise against going into a completely useless field since that's not worth going into debt for but besides that, you have a lot of options. What might be worth consideration is the time you want to spend working. Like a high paying job may allow you to work part time without affecting your lifestyle negatively.
>>
>>36962842
Don't listen to all of these bitter anons, OP. They're taking a lot in right now but it all stems from jealously of how meaningless their lives and inevitable futures are

Anyway, my advice is to definitely go to your uni's advisors. Try and stay within stem if you can and with the engineering experience it shouldn't be too difficult to stay within that category. I'm in a situation where if I don't want to be in school forever and still do stem I would have to get a shit major like general science but I'd rather have that with a good GPA than a shit GPA with a hard major and still not get a job. I was originally chemistry but dropped that shit because my coworker in food service (like you apparently) has a bachelors in chem from the same uni and he gets all his money from serving and coding on the side. That scared me to the point where thinking college is just a meme as a whole and now I just want to get out without having completely wasted my time. I'm hoping at the least with a decent GPA grad school will be an option and apparently you can do a lot of upper level courses in stem post bacc so you can get the credentials without having to suffer through the major

Idk if this post helps much but essentially what I'm telling you is go to for uni resources and not this board full of dropout neets
>>
If you go stem, avoid pure sciences like the plague.
Don't do med school unless you have a serious passion for it and decent social skills. Anything medical related, even tangentially like biochem, specialize early. I wouldn't discount getting an associates and working, then going back. It has better long term earnings and employment for a lot of fields than a bachelors.
>>
Why are people even floating med school as an option? There's literally no way you could get into med schools anon
>>
>>36962017
Hey also OU engineering student

shoot me a throwaway email
>>
>>36963068
What does a "serious passion" for medicine even look like besides "muh helpin ppl"
>>
>>36963077

My GPA is still pretty good desu. I was a straight A student until I got tired of engineering. It wouldn't be too difficult to package that up as a narrative, sell it as experience, and get into med school with a decent MCAT.

>>36963087

>shoot me a throwaway email

Why?
>>
>>36963113
I'm sure we'll think of something ;)
>>
>>36963090
Do you like watching surgery vids and have you considered hospital volunteer work? You'll want to be a medical otaku to make it through.
>>
>>36963130

I'm not gay unless it involves some pretty weird stuff.
>>
>>36961968
what class did you fail
>>
>>36963207

Electronics desu
>>
>>36961968
Womens studies. Get yourself a nice (((Professor))) and learn to hate cis white men and love race mixing.
>>
>>36963513

Wow, you're just like me then. Just accept you're a lazy ass nigger and will never have the backbone to work yourself through a college degree and sign up for tech school. Took me 12 years and four colleges to realize this, but you're still young enough to flunk out before you've royally fucked yourself with a six digit student debt.
>>
>>36963938

>tech school

Interesting, tell me more please?
>>
>>36964029

Since you like STEM and are at least somewhat skilled in maths the theory in, say, an electrician degree will be piss-easy for you and although the work is physical, it's not that something that will break your back and joints. Plus you get some exercise and fresh air on the side.

I don't know how things are in the States, but in my Yuropoor country a skilled electrician can easily make as much as a mediocre developer because of college degree bloat and there's guaranteed no unpaid overwork.
>>
same, although i was in nursing school, now that no uni accept me to their nursing degree im studying philosophy
>>
>>36964223
>>36964029

Plus it's a profession that requires a license so you're somewhat safe from being replaced with cheap pajeets or cholos and you'll be able to brag about working a manly blue-collar profession instead of some nu-male office rat shit.
>>
>>36964223

>an electricians degree

My dad is an electrician and I have no idea how one becomes an electrician.
His advice to me was "show up at shops and ask to be a helper."
Yeah....doesn't work.
Everyone now hiring ad I've ever seen for the trades wants journeymen or apprentices with at least 3 years experience. I have no idea how one becomes an apprentice besides joining a union and getting paid worse than fast food.
>>
>>36964298
>brag about working a blue collar profession
>>
>>36964326
Pretty sure they teach that at trade school. At least here in germany they do.
>>
>>36961968
OP if you're open to doing something outside of the realm of science, consider accounting.
If you really do still have a good GPA like you say you do you are guaranteed to find a good job if you keep it. I'm about to graduate with a BS in accounting and have practically no prior work experience but have an internship starting the end of this month and a full time job starting the beginning of next year, both really good money for a guy just starting out with no prior work experience.

Also, if you are considering going into accounting, there are a few different subfields within it you should research to see if any of them interest you: taxation, cost accounting, financial accounting, and auditing.

One last thing, make sure you find out the recruiting periods for public accounting firms in your area as they have very selective time periods for recruiting, usually months in advance from when you'll actually start. This is especially true for the lager firms.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.