[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

YOU CANNOT FIND PROPER PEACE IN THIS MATERIAL WORLD Any identity,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: NO MATERIALISM.png (1MB, 1535x479px) Image search: [Google]
NO MATERIALISM.png
1MB, 1535x479px
YOU CANNOT FIND PROPER PEACE IN THIS MATERIAL WORLD
Any identity, meaning, or hope that you seek from within this material world can be damaged or destroyed.
This is why you suffer as you do, this is why depression is rampant in Western society; because our culture has not prepared you for it, you have been unwittingly let down. Our culture has you chasing dreams and happiness for eternity and it is an ultimately impossible mission. Even if you were to achieve your material goals, it is very possible for them to be removed from you and thus you tumble once more into despair.
For example the Nazi concentration camps; those stuck in materialism gave up and died while those with religious or otherwise transreal hopes did not give up and some survived.
>>
The ultimate goal is to achieve within oneself a non-judgmental self-acceptance and non-narcassistic self-love

So far on Earth our greatest minds have come up with:
Buddhism, asserts the practice of meditation to one become present in the moment and eventually suffering ceases to affect you as you realize everything is transcient

Stoicism, asserts the practice of tamping down ones emotions such that they no longer manipulate you and thus temptation and suffering eventually ceases to affect you

Christianity, asserts that God and Jesus give you the ultimate acceptance and love through belief and faith in them and thus nothing else in the world truly matters and thus suffering ceases to affect you.

Please, truly listen to Reverend Tim Keller in these speech/debates. You do not have to believe in Christianity (I myself am an agnostic atheist) but you CAN learn from his wisdom:
https://www.redeemer.com/r/qc_audio_2015

Modern Secularity has woefully unprepared these recent generations for suffering, it is THE WORST culture for preparing people for suffering because it brings people to seek their identities, meanings, and hopes in the material world

Ideally a fusion of science with the above three religion/philosophies' values would be the ultimate form of religion.
>>
>>36917503
I tried going that route. At the end of the day you gotta eat. Also nice clothes will make you feel better than ugly clothes no matter how enlightened you are.
>>
Please stop bastardizing these philosophies with your newage nonsense.
>>
>>36917549
>you gotta eat
Of course, that isn't even an argument

>nice clothes
You were stuck in materialism, the quality of your clothes does not ultimately matter.

Now I'm not saying you should walk around in tatters but I am asserting that you don't need to spend/worry much on them either.
>>
>>36917577
None of these philosophies is perfect, we need a new one in this new millennium, stop being an ignorant cunt
>>
>>36917605
How much is much is relative. I agree that going for rarity and designer shit isn't the best but having high quality stuff still feels nice. Having a nice body still feels nice. What do you think enlightenment is? Being a sack of shit and feeling good about it?
>>
>>36917656
What I am saying is that you do not grasp them. Materialism is not about the scientific concept of the material world. It means attachment to sensual pleasures and the vanities of personality.
>>
>>36917677
>Being a sack of shit and feeling good about it

What do you think hermits, monks, and gurus are?
>>
>>36917719
>Materialism is not about the scientific concept of the material world. It means attachment to sensual pleasures and the vanities of personality.

That's exactly what this is about
>>
>>36917737
I don't think anything of them desu. It's not like someone just because is a monk/hermit/guru has some certain qualities, there are quacks, scammers, humble people etc. between them just like between any other group there is out there.
>>
>>36917737
Some of them put a big emphasis on cleanliness and things like that though. I think they're usually more about "don't let things you can't have overwhelm you and learn to appreciate the simple things" instead of "YOLO BE A PIECE OF SHIT"
>>
>>36917503
being so daft as to not realize that there was nothing before you introduced to the material world. we existed in to void for the eternity before we were alive and shall return after death. mortal life in this material world is meanimgless aside from life's perpose to reproduce
>>
>>36917767
Officially the former, colloquially the latter. both work but either depends on context.

And within context, either or both work with OP.
>>
>>36918815
Reproduction is simply a continuation of life. If life has no purpose then reproduction cannot have any purpose either.
>>
>>36918959
Life really doesn't have any purpose aside from arbitrary reproduction and continuation because that's our genetic perogative

Humans take it farther with "progress"
>>
>>36919979
Reproduction does not accomplish anything other than continuing life. If what you are continuing is worthless, then the act of continuing it is equally worthless.
You need to think a little bit harder about the things you post.
>>
>>36917503
>For example the Nazi concentration camps; those stuck in materialism gave up and died while those with religious or otherwise transreal hopes did not give up and some survived.
Nigger, you have no proof whatsoever that the ones that died were spiritual or not, and Man's Search for Meaning was such a bullshit book with absolutely no redeeming qualities to it. 100% pseudo-spiritual garbage, along with Victor Frankl's other works on his bullshit logotherapy.
>>
>>36920023
Worth is a human conception ya dingus; read your own advice.
>>
>>36920171
So is purpose.
>>
>>36917503
jesus looks like he can kick some ass
>>
>>36920170
Right, a person with a medical doctorate degree who suffered through the experiences, personally witnessed such cases, and lived to tell the tale has just been discredited COMPLETELY by an anonymous shitposter without even an argument. Great, you've convinced me.
>>
>>36920193
Exactly

There is no thought process to the far and away vast majority of life, it's just impulse

it just is
>>
>>36917503
There is no spirit, no god, no transmigration of souls, no higher levels of consciousness, no universal virtue. There is nothing except the life we have now. So spend this short amount of time with your friends, in comfort and peace of mind free from ambition, or greed. Why struggle to acheive 'great things' when it means you have to waste your one life struggling? And why deny yourself simple pleasures like a monk or Stoic when it means your only life is that much less enjoyable?

'We have been born once and cannot be born a second time; for all eternity we shall no longer exist. But you, although you are not in control of tomorrow, are postponing your happiness. Life is wasted by delaying, and each one of us dies without enjoying pleasure.'
Epicurus
>>
>>36920450
Why sit around waiting for death? It is truly a miserable existence. A shame you can't see it.
>>
>>36920450
The argument is that materialism is the bringer of depression and despair

This isnt saying you cant enjoy things, what it is saying is that you should orient your mind and expectations away from material things because that material orientation will inevitably betray you and thus cause you to enjoy life less than otherwise.
>>
>>36917503
>delude yourself because it's the better alternative

god i hate this mentality
>>
>>36917777
As a digit-monk, I congratulate you on this important step towards enlightenment.
>>
>>36920564
What is a material thing? What is an immaterial thing?
>>
Cool.
Can you give me your stuff OP?
>>
File: FgHCPru.jpg (50KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
FgHCPru.jpg
50KB, 500x333px
>>36920206
That's because he does crossfit.
>>
>>36920681
>material things
anything that can be taken from you

>immaterial thing
abstract ideas

>>36920687
>wanting material things
sorry bud, i already donated everything; im typing this from the public library
>>
File: 2eb.jpg (25KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
2eb.jpg
25KB, 600x450px
>>36917549
>feel better
>bu-but my FEE-FEES!
>>
>>36920762
Ideas can also be taken from you. Old age, death, brain-damage, ect.
>>
>>36921079
at those points the issues of despair are arguably not relevant

though old people with meaning, regardless of material or otherwise, in life do statistically live longer than those that do not
>>
File: 1459767270589.png (95KB, 248x280px) Image search: [Google]
1459767270589.png
95KB, 248x280px
>>36917503

>the Holocaust
>Real
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.