[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is esport a sport?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: esports.jpg (365KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
esports.jpg
365KB, 1500x1000px
is esport a sport?
>>
About as much as chess is a sport.
>>
>>36893902
if chess is then this also is
HoTS in particular is very fun btw
>>
>>36894165
Referring to Heroes of the Storm or Heart of the Swarm?
>>
>>36894281
heart of the swarm is dead so I guess it's heroes
>>
>>36894165
if eu pls add me on bliz
>>
No, esports are video games. I play Call of Duty after a night of drinking - does that mean I am playing a sport?
>>
>>36894317
Wait what? Aren't there like thousands of Koreans playing it 24/7?
>>
No they're aren't
Chess isn't a sport either
>>
>>36893902
No, they're e-sports.
Merriam-Webster defines sports as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Keyword being "exertion".
Although they require physical skill, they're no marathon.

However I do believe they meet the criteria to be called alternative sports.
>>
>>36894531
it's called legacy of the void now
>>
>>36893902
If pool, darts and poker are sports, this shit is too.
>>
>>36894833
>exertion
Shooting is an Olympic sport
>>
File: g2csgo2017.jpg (356KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
g2csgo2017.jpg
356KB, 1024x576px
>>36893902
Yes it is, and i find it way more interesting than any "real" sport
Pic related best team
>>
>>36894833
Yet archery and shooting is an Olympic sport

Exertion my ass
>>
>>36893902
Yes.

>>36895728
>G2-8

Nice meme friend. TSM might look shitty this year after the match against GAM, but they'll still dumpster G2-8
>>
>>36894338
As much as when you're drunk and playing football with your friends
>>
>>36896505
You realized he linked a picture to their csgo team right? Fucking league autist.
>>
>>36894281
heroes of the storm, much better than LoL or DOTA i played all of them and i can say HoTS is more fun to play, more balanced and requires more player skill over shitty unbalanced gear
>>
>>36898309
>shitty unbalanced gear
>dota 2
are you fucking retarded?
>>
>sport
>noun
>1.
>an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Depends on your definition of "physical exertion" I guess, but whether or not it's /technically/ a sport is meaningless semantics
>>
>>36898309
yeah keep trying to shill your shit game here buddy. it's literally the worst moba it's even worse than fucking smite.
>>
>>36893902
esports is a cruel ploy designed to separate desperate NEETs from their autismbux with ridiculous promises of money fame and pussy
>>
>>36898565
How so nigger? I've literally been a really high ranking player in 3 different video games. I never was able to make it pro though and even if I did I'm pretty sure I could still get my NEETbux.
>>
File: nice jerb.png (31KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
nice jerb.png
31KB, 720x644px
who here is excited to see g2 get shit on by skt tomorrow.
>>
The only thing that separates normies from considering it a sport is fame, money and the women that come with those two things. The definition of "sport" is pretty arbitrary. If professional gaming brought in the same cash and was as popular as football, the consensus would be it's a sport. It's not about some philosophical debate about what constitutes physical exertion, it's just about whether its an adequate vessel for fulfilling primal human desires.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (15KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
15KB, 320x180px
>>36896505
Waiting to see that frend

French cs is new master race
>>
>>36898848
I don't think I complete agree on that.
Basketball was invented in 1891, and the NBA established in 1946.
Street Fighter? Came out 1987.

I just gave you the official definition to cut this sort of bullcrap talk I'm giving you right now, sports take time to be accepted. A sport isn't made over night.

It's true that people won't accept something as possibly being a sport until they see the money it brings, and the attention it garners but all that and every other little thing that makes people accept something as a sport takes time.
>>
i'm going to TI this year, it's just about the only way i could have made some sort of solo voyage with meaning to it. i took the leap and it's nice having something to look forward to after so many years of wagecuckery and loneliness

cyber-athletics are good
>>
>>36893902

No, it's money laundering, since 90% of the matches are fixed.

And it doesn't just stay fixed at "pro" level. It's also fixed at casual level in a lot of regards.
>>
>>36893902
I personally like to think there's two different tiers of sports. Tier 1 are things like football and hockey, sports that require physical exertion and some level of strategy. Tier 2 would be things like chess, poker, and e-sports, sports that are more mind games or in the case of e-sports which people can flick the mouse around faster than the other. I don't have any problems with e-sports but the amount of autism that always follows people who try to go "pro" is just flat out ridiculous, makes games like CS even more toxic to deal with. Yet I still play them.
>>
>>36895728
>Nu-male force5
kek only faggot follow this shit. The only e-sport that isn't gay af is Rocket League
>>
>>36898615
Because 99% of the people who like esports and think they have a shot spend money on the games they play and hardware and upgrades, or even dumb shit like cosmetics, but never actually make any back at all
A tiny, tiny, TINY percentage become internet famous, get enough money to quit their job, and get grrl gamer attention for it
Most people have their lives become actively worse because they're sacrificing the launching ground of their entire life on a poisonous dream of becoming a professional video game player, spending literally thousands of hours of their precious youth on a hobby-turned-"career" that actively makes them less sociable people than they already were because they sit inside alone all day playing video games instead of even trying to do anything more productive, ending up a pernicious fantasy for the NEETlord and an actual hazard to the developing possible life of a wagecuck
on top of that, the very few who actually make anything at all still generally make less than a salaried job anyway, and apart from the top 0.01% of the top 1% who manage to win The International or something like that, most of them have to end their careers with less money than they'd have had if they'd just worked, and then have to apply for McDonalds for their next job because Mr. Goldstein laughed them out of the office when they told him they'd spent the last 5 years gaining valuable management skills as captain of a team of competitive warcraft 3 mod players (full time)

t.former 4th-rate pro team dota 2 cuck who passed up a promotion to have more time for his dota 2 "career" he made about $500 over three years
>>
>>36899254
Chess, poker, and videogames are games, not sports.
>>
No. Just because it's a competitive activity doesn't mean it's a sport. I see it on the same level as competitive eating.
>>
>>36899357
football basketball and baseball are games too
>>
File: 1493039298628.png (38KB, 562x519px) Image search: [Google]
1493039298628.png
38KB, 562x519px
>>36893902
No it's a shitty talent show for nerds. It's like asking if American Idol is the same as American Football.
>>
>>36899347
but dota is completely free to play, doesn't require a super-rig computer, and cosmetics are just that: cosmetic. 99% of players invest in cosmetics for their career? ... no?

that most people don't hit it big isn't news at all. but you're just ignoring the majority of high tier players that enjoy competition and put a lot of time in it but aren't staking their entire lives on it
>>
>>36899347
I never really cared about making money off of it I just wanted to be good at something. I was damn good at a few games in my prime too. I only made a little less than 4000 through tournaments but money wasn't really what I cared about. I was never good at anything else my whole life and esports gave me something to be proud of. Like sure I could've had a mcjob or gone to college to be miserable doing something I hate. I would've made more money but I wouldn't have been as happy as I was when I was actually good. I'm certain until the day I die I will look back at my prime of video games as the best thing I did with my life with my only regret being I wasn't a little bit better so to make a living off of it. I don't regret it college would've made me miserable I hated school never wanted to be anything and I wont be anything but at least I lived a few years happy dream chasing.
>>
>>36899593
>at least I lived a few years happy dream chasing.
Try heroin
>>
esports are more complex than real sports
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.