[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

uni

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

Hi /r9k/
/adv/ sent me here. I'm looking forward to going to university this september in the UK and I'm torn between University of Westminster and University of Bournemouth. I'm applying for journalism. Which one is better?
>>
>>36885858
Journalism is a meme degree, might as well study to become a detective
>>
>>36885992
detective is a meme degree, might as well study to become a disguised nighttime vigilante
>>
>>36885992
Still want to do it tho
Just can't choose a place
>>
>>36885858
Go ask the /britfeel/ thread, they might have an opinion.
>>
Cambridge and Oxford are the only worthwhile universities in the UK you dumb faggot
>>
>>36886109
>Just can't choose a place
what? then howd you end up there? divine providence?
>>
Westminster is shit and cost of living is ridiculous, plus no campus life.
>>
>>36886182
I've heard that the Media&Arts faculty is quite good
>>
>>36886130
the student room is that way
>>
>>36886293
Not gonna be accepted there but still want to do BA
>>
>>36885858
Not getting a journalism degree would be for the best.
>>
>>36886467
Still doesn't answer the question
>>
is there community college there?

if not waste of money...journalism kekkles
>>
>>36885858
I fell for the journalism meme and now I'm stuck doing a course I hate. I'm at Manchester btw. I would heavily advise NOT doing it
>>
>>36887109
I didn't even know that they do journalism in Manchester
>>
File: 1492981811992.jpg (49KB, 1024x631px) Image search: [Google]
1492981811992.jpg
49KB, 1024x631px
I will answer seriously because I know people from Bournemouth uni.

Bournemouth - way more fucking
Westminster - way more expensive to live but more impressive.

journalism = meme. You'll be working an entry level job in 3 years times with 30k of debt. Don't do it.
Is there any BS subjects you're interested in?
>>
>>36885858
Anyone with a cellphone camera can be a journalist these days and your gonna waste time in school for it?
>>
File: 1475577476827.jpg (378KB, 2048x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1475577476827.jpg
378KB, 2048x1024px
>>36887866
this actually isnt true
i know because i studied it in the course of getting my degree in journalism
op, if i was you id pick bournemouth. it will be much cheaper and theres a beach.
london is a terrible fucking place anyway.
>>36887853
>more impressive
lol it wont be, no degree in journalism is impressive. you are either russel group tier or pleb tier, and your choice has already been made
>>
>>36885858
It doesn't matter. You're never going to have any friends or a gf. You'll spend all your uni life in your room and probably fail. May aswell just an hero.

Pick the one that's going to cost your parents the least to save on the shame you'll feel when you move back in with them. Good luck Anon.
>>
OP, it honestly will require you to attend an open day

A few things to consider:
>London is far more expensive to live in. Rents, clubbing, transport, food and other costs can really add up.
>University ranking is the best assessment. Consider using 'The complete university ranking' since I doubt that Westminster or Bournemouth are on the Shanghai 200
>Scholarships can usually save you vast amounts of money if you're talent or can write a good personal statement
>Undergrad degrees can be redeemed if you go into a solid postgrad university

It's all about how seriously you take education. I know a girl that went to a low end university, finished with a 2:2, but attend lots of seminars about things related to her subject. Her networking skills bagged her a 35k a year criminology related job.

Furthermore, why journalism? Why pick it over media? Have you checked out the new university apprenticeships? You do like 4 days in industry then 1 day at university

t. Aston university student who will do his masters at UOB. Gonna attempt to earn enough income so I can retire at 50 and read books all day
>>
>>36888565
I checked the university ranking and Bournemouth is better than Westminster as a university, but the Guardian has rankings for all courses and Westminster is 11th place in the UK for journalism whereas Bournemouth is 19th
>>36888089
The beach is a plus, but I feel like Westminster has more connections for my 2nd year and for placement.
>>
>>36885858
Got offered picked journalism in Dublin City Uni but i cucked out and waited a year to get another offer.
>>
>>36888867
Do you have any opinions on BU or UoW?
>>
>>36885858
Dunno why you would ask r9k this kind of question and expect a serious answer, i don't browse plebbit but i saw the uk college sub reddit and literally all the questions are ones like you're asking.
I'd try there.
Also good luck, i'm starting at Winchester in September.
>>
>>36889113
I was on /adv, but everyone there is asking about suicide and ex girlfirends and one fag told me to come ask you guys and I decided to try my luck.
Plebbit is so fucking hard to use that in the moment I tried logging in I wanted to get the fuck out of there...I don't even know how to find that particular sub reddit.
>>
>>36889288
I don't have an account so i'm not sure, but its the first result when you google 'reddit university'.
But anyway, I applied for Bournemouth and visited it and i think it would be better than Westminster for your course but at the same time London is probably the kind of environment you were looking for when you started thinking about where to go.
>>
Bournemouth is a great place with very good beach lots of pubs, bars and clubs. Also lots and lots of very fucked people on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights.
If you're going to the uni then you will probably be living in Winton or Landsdown. Winton is a bit of a chavy area with its fair share or druggos but the people are generally nice. The whole of Winton is just one fuck long highstreet. Landsdown is mainly students and is right between Bournemouth town and Boscombe, and all the local buses travel down its highstreet so its well connected. Boscombe is the local shithole where all the hardcore down and outs, drug users and foreign people live. The place itself has some nice architecture though. I have no idea about the actual quality of the uni but it has a load of super new looking buildings so Im sure its shit.
t. Lives in Bournemouth
>>
Any King's College anons?
I might study Maths and Philosophy there next year
>>
>>36889504
Thanks man appreciate it
Any opinions on Westminster yet?
>>
>>36889762
No idea about the uni itself but its central London so everything is going to be fucking expensive.
Also Bournemouth much whiter than London and has voted Tory for as long as anyone can remember so that's nice if you're into that
>>
>>36889906
Yeah...and I'll be in Harrow which is not really a white neighbourhood. I don't think that would bother me too much tho
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.