[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is cognitive behavioral therapy for depression like?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: Tom Savini fucking dies.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Tom Savini fucking dies.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
What is cognitive behavioral therapy for depression like?
>>
>>36857731
it's like cock and ball torture
>>
>>36857731
A big fucking waste of time, that's what it feels like.
>>
>>36857731
"You just need to say that you're happy and then you will be"
>>
>>36858005
Is that seriously it?
It worked for my OCD, but this sounds retarded.
>>
>>36858374
I'm probably not being fair. It must help people otherwise they wouldn't bother, but the whole premise seems wrong to me. It believes that your thoughts cause your emotions, so you control your thoughts hoping that it will change your emotions.
>>
>>36857731
Why are you asking?

Story tiem friendo!
>>
>>36858835
My Dr. referred me to a psychiatrist who does CBT for depression.

Wild story, I know.
>>
>>36858005
One time someone very genuinely told me that I needed to seek help, and I said "no I don't" then stopped being mentally ill just to prove them wrong.

Is this the same?
>>
>>36858909
I don't think so. Same result basically, except CBT is just lying to yourself so hard you believe the problem away, rather than just willing it away.
>>
>>36858858
Are they going to make you take meds too?

Why did you see your doctor?
>>
>>36859170
But I just told myself I don't need help until I didn't. I told myself that my brain is in my control and I can feel and act however I please.

I think that these days everyone is too coddled. Anyone who exhibits distress or dispair are told that it's not their fault and it's okay to feel that way, they are allievated of all responsibility for their own well-being because they are sick.

And while some people are seriously sick in the head, the vast majority just think that because they don't naturally/automatically have their perceived ideal mentality, that something out of their own control must be victimising them. And it is so much easier to sit back saying "yeah mental illness is fucking me over, nothing I can do about it but feel sorry for myself and take drugs that stagnate my state of mind".
>>
>>36859375
Hey if it worked for you that's great. I guess the big trap is that depression strips you of your motivation to do anything. It probably is just as simple as getting on with life, but even though that would fix things you can't be bothered because it feels like a waste of time.
>>
>>36857731

Maniac is a a great robot film.
>>
>>36857731
It's basically brainwashing you by training you to alter your thought patterns. Its effectiveness depends largely on whether your way of thinking is actually flawed or not. For example...

>I failed a test, my life is over and I should kill myself because I'm worthless
Is obviously faulty thinking and can be corrected through CBT to something like
>I failed a test but in the bigger picture it's not such a big deal. My value as a human being isn't decided by something as minor as this

But if your depression is grounded in realism it won't do much. For example if you're depressed because you are legitimately unattractive and relationships are beyond your reach for the rest of your life, then CBT won't help, because convincing you that you aren't lonely or don't need relationships is beyond its scope really.
>>
>>36859539
This was my experience also
>>
File: 1379893464554.png (36KB, 800x472px) Image search: [Google]
1379893464554.png
36KB, 800x472px
just do ketamine
it;s better and cheaper
>>
>>36860403
Not here in New Zealand
>>
>>36858374
Gross oversimplification but yeah sorta.
The idea is that your brain is a feedback loop of negative thoughts and emotions.

If you can control your thoughts and interrupt the loop, you can ultimately control your emotions.

CBT is this knowledge and the tools needed to use it. It does work, amazingly.
>>
File: 1431383371563.png (256KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1431383371563.png
256KB, 500x334px
>>36860484
oh sorry
it was rude to assume everyone was burgers
here basically everything is cheaper than cognitive behavioral therapy

still give ket a try if possible
>>
>>36859539
>a girl turned me down when I asked her, I must be unattractive because I'm unattractive, I can't get a relationship so I should kill myself
>>
>>36857731
CBT has been shown to be very effective for depression and anxiety, so try to keep an open mind.
>>
I think it was somewhat effective for me for a little while but then I stopped and have gone back into major depression and hopelessness for the past two years. You have to really keep at it. At this point I've stopped caring and retreated back to my old ways.
>>
>>36861030
>being contrarian to make yourself look smart
Conventionally unattractive people do exist anon. And you can accurately assess your own attractiveness by comparing yourself against the population average. And also by receiving negative evaluations from other people, or observing negative evaluations given to people who look similar to yourself

Assuming it's not fixable stuff like losing weight or getting a hair cut. CBT can't fix no one finding you attractive. Neither can it fix the crushing loneliness that can also bring
>>
File: 1421478059573.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1421478059573.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
I am not sure what to do robots.

I have crippling paranoia. I am CONSTANTLY worrying about minor things. At first, it was meme worthy, but now its getting more and more destructive of my life. I literally won't talk to anyone, because I worry for days and days afterwards that this will someone end in serious issues towards my life.

I am considering going to a psychologist, but for obvious reasons, am totally paranoid about taking any medication. Even the idea of visiting a professional scares me, because I worry they might put me in a ward. Unreasonable, but it feels very real.

Any advice?
>>
>>36861322
just pointing out that not all people that think they are ugly are ugly and CBT might help them
also to make myself feel smart for once
>>
>>36858005
Fucking this , CBT only works on people who couldve gotten over depression anyways
>>
Its normie tier therapy for normies. I did cbt with two different therapists but for some reason it always always went of course and the structure kind of broke down and i definitely used the time to talk and try and figure myself out but I was probably just wasting their time
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.