[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, how do you erase the data on a SSD, so that is becomes

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1491937803914.jpg (97KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1491937803914.jpg
97KB, 600x800px
Hey guys, how do you erase the data on a SSD, so that is becomes unrecoverable by standard forensic techniques.

I know how it works for normal HDD, but for SSDs it is different and i haven't found a lot of info on that shit.

The thing is i have a few high capacity ssds to sell, but they have had highly sensitive info on them and since there have been a few extreme cases of data recovery and identity theft in my country, i dont want to run any risks.

>Some guy actually jumed the fence on a local landfill, stole some defective HDDs from a container, disassembled them, took out the plates, inserted them into a new case and stole 5 mil from a company.

>They haven't found the fucker yet.
>>
>>36825642

Come on guys, help a robot out.
>>
>>36825642
A hammer should do the trick. Could even finish off with a mortar and pestle.
>>
>>36825741

I am talking about techniques, after which i can still sell it off.

For HDDs, simply filling the drive with 1s 6 times over does the trick, but i have no idea what i am supposed to do on a SSD.
>>
>>36825642
Just write over it with 0s a few dozen times, just like a HDD
>>
>>36825642
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>36825789

Does not work, the controller might just fill one third of the disk with 0s a few hundret times and leave the rest intact.

Also, there is the issue of defective blocks, which can contain data, despite being set as off limit by the controller, since they have become somewhat faulty.
>>
>>36825642
Microwave on high for 25minutes
>>
>>36825785
literally nothing, it's set in stone now.
>>
>>36825642
Use a Magnet
>>
You seriously can't. I've tested it by trying to fill the drive with fake files and then running photorec. Whoops, the deleted test files are still there. You absolutely must physically destroy the drive.
>>
>>36825642
Gutman algorithm should do the trick in both ssd & hdd
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.