[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does college major actually matter or is it a meme?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 1394560467108.jpg (302KB, 1070x906px) Image search: [Google]
1394560467108.jpg
302KB, 1070x906px
Does college major actually matter or is it a meme?
>>
>>36782878
>Does college major actually matter or is it a meme?
What kind of dumb question is that? Of course it matters.
>>
>>36782878
Define matter.
>>
>>36782878
Well, it does matter. If you want to work as an engineer, an accountant, or a Philosophy teacher you need one.

Now, is it really worth to get one? That depends. Most of them are useless, and in many cases having one doesn't guarantee you will get a job because most people get jobs through nepotism
>>
>>36782888
Nice trips.

I've heard the opposite is true though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleystahl/2015/08/12/six-reasons-why-your-college-major-doesnt-matter/#6d65887035a0

also getting an engineering degree from a low-tier state school is no where near as good as a liberal arts degree from an Ivy League.
>>
>>36782878
Major in something you don't mind spending 30 years doing. Stuff like your pic is bullshit because you'll never be better than mediocre at a job you hate or suck at. Assholes will try to tell you STEM STEM STEM, but if you suck at math you'll be useless as an engineer, for example. Good majors nowadays where you don't have to compete with indians for your job are things like public health, public administration, human resources, things that require a level of creativity and problem solving without being a glorified trade like most of the applied sciences (chem eng for example).
>>
>>36782878
english or at least political science is a lot less useless than the rest in the bottom
>>
>>36782992
I majored in English pedagogy and became a writer.
>>
File: 1493844422726.png (134KB, 233x262px) Image search: [Google]
1493844422726.png
134KB, 233x262px
>>36782976
>also getting an engineering degree from a low-tier state school is no where near as good as a liberal arts degree from an Ivy League.

according to?
>>
No
Robots will have have a hard time getting a job on matter what we major in.
All companies want normies.
>>
>>36783377
>according to?

Jesus Christ, STEMcucks are completely deluded.
>>
>>36783994
>butthurt liberal arts faggot
enjoy your $10k/year starting
>>
>>36782878
BS, most people i v met in mathematics and physics are total normies.
>>
>>36783377
Just off the top of my head, Jamie Dimon and Loyd Blankfein
>>
>>36782878
>everything else not listed
Im going to major in criminal justice am i a meme?
>>
>>36783994
nice argument, humanities fag
>>
>>36782976
>62% work in jobs that require a degree
>27% work in a job related to their degree
>therefore 43% of skilled workers have jobs related to their degree
There is a question as to how related it can be. Is a math major being a programmer "related".
>around 40% of men's bachelor's are STEM and 29% of women's

Obviously if you're majoring in sociology you probably won't find a job in it.

also
>article written by dumbass media girl
>Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

>>36783994
>>36782976
Most ivy leaguers would be successful if they dropped out of high school.
They're mostly rich kids hired by their parents and friends.
Like your article says, it's the connections that matter most.
>>
>>36783377
The only way it's possible is through nepotism, but TBQH if you're going to an Ivy League school you (more likely your family) already has enough connections to get you that high paying job.
>>
>>36783377
Something I never understood about colleges is, aren't they all meeting the same type of standard in order to be accredited?

I know Ivy League looks more "prestigious" but and some schools may have better programs or niche majors, but for the most part, isn't everyone learning the same things about approximately the same knowledge level?
>>
>>36784356
>Is a math major being a programmer "related".

Of course it's related. Most math majors have taken enough CS prereqs to declare a CS minor.

Usually universities don't let you do a Math major + CS minor because there's too much overlap between the two programs.
>>
>>36782878
Where's aviation? This is for school huh?
>>
>>36784514
Aviation is taught in flight school, which is basically a trade school for the skies
>>
>>36782878

Depends on the major. Some majors are worth the investment because the payout is worth the money spent. You are a liberal arts major you are pissing away money compared to a chemistry major.

Otherwise you are better learning a trade skill and getting an apprenticeship.
>>
>>36784525
True. Does it not matter here? I remember seeing it once but it was in the red. Probably due to usefulness in the real world?
>>
>>36784608
Flight school isn't really a major or a college degree, which is why it's not in a chart about degrees. It's basically a trade school for learning how to fly a plane - it is its own thing
>>
File: 1493280730670.png (672KB, 1012x884px) Image search: [Google]
1493280730670.png
672KB, 1012x884px
>>36784462
It's essentially brand name advertising. Granted, there are obvious benefits ("renowned" professors, more comprehensive programs, better atmosphere, etc), but it's hard to justify all the extra money you're paying. You'll find a job either way with a good degree, experience, and a good GPA - the big difference being you can save lots of money, which can be used for other things

And saying that a liberal arts degree from these rich kid daycare centers is inherently more valuable than a STEM degree is pretty bad
>>
>>36784657
Oh ok. Thanks dude. Have a good one and don't forget to drink some water.
>>
File: bfa-film-1400x500-5-1024x365.jpg (57KB, 1024x365px) Image search: [Google]
bfa-film-1400x500-5-1024x365.jpg
57KB, 1024x365px
I want to pursue a BFA in Film Production.
>>
>no one actually uses their defrees, everyone ends up working the same kinds of jobs
This is advice given to me by my cousin. She majored in communications and minored in women's studies.
>>
>>36785022
What's her job now
>>
>aspergers
>smart

Fuck off aspies most of you are cs majors who dropped out of engineering
>>
>>36782878
>engineering and medicine
>autism tier
>computer science
>not downs syndrome tier

Medicine is one of the most normie majors after business. Who made this?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.