[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pro/g/rammerfags unite

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot_2017-05-04_19-15-42.png (5KB, 354x301px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-04_19-15-42.png
5KB, 354x301px
How are you today, pro/g/rammerbots?
Lets start a comfy tech thread.

>age
>NEET/employed/college/other
>fav programming language
>how is your life these days?
>>
>>36772466
Programming is boring as fuck. How do people like it?
>>
File: 51783_autismf.jpg (417KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
51783_autismf.jpg
417KB, 1000x667px
>>36772527
Autism.

No, really, it's the only way I can explain it.
I simply like it when I create a system that works exactly the way I want (or the way I tell it) - no more, no less. If anything breaks, it's because I made a mistake or because I lack skill - the program never fucks me over or manipulates me into getting something from me. Unlike people.

TL;DR computer programs are the only truly honest entities in the universe. They make me feel warm and fuzzy.
>>
>>36772673
>Computer programs are the only honest entities in the universe

This 2bqh
>>
>>36772673
computers are a mans new best friend, deciding to only live with your computer isn't really that different from doing the same with a dog.
>>
>>36772673
>it's because I made a mistake or because I lack skill
or because the guy whose library you're using made a mistake.
or because the guy who wrote the toolchain made a mistake.
>>
File: 1477321470587.jpg (204KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1477321470587.jpg
204KB, 640x640px
At what point can you call yourself a programmer. I wrote a small server in C using the windows native socket api

Am I now a programmer?
>>
>>36772466
employed + student
C
eh. things started going smooth since I got diagnosed with adhd and started taking ritalin.
Saved myself from dropping out, found a job, slowly saving cash to move out.
Hopefully I'll find a magical switch to get a girl some day to lose my virginity and my transition to being a full normie will be complete
>>
>>36773162
>Am I now a programmer?
sure
>>
>>36772466
>28
>PhD candidate in ECE
>C and VHDL master race
>feels good man
>>
>>36772466

>age
In computer engineering, finishing in December
Like C++, liking C# lately
Fucking terrible, in the middle of finals
>>
>>36773154
>not creating your own toolchain and libraries
are you a nigger like linus?
>>
File: 6ab.png (112KB, 576x507px) Image search: [Google]
6ab.png
112KB, 576x507px
>>36773154
>or because the guy whose library you're using made a mistake.
>or because the guy who wrote the toolchain made a mistake.
...which, while possible, is MUCH less likely to happen (at least while using a widespread compiler such as GCC's) than having someone fuck you over just for their gain.

I've met countless people on college who started acting like they're my friends when they needed help with exams (even on pleb-tier subjects such as linear algebra), and then never calling me again after they pass the exam. Being a natural helper, I always felt obligated to help someone if they asked me, so I spent a lot of time and energy trying to teach normies fucking matrix multiplication and how to calculate difference between two dates in C++.

And then - some of them are so fucking ungrateful, when I ask them to stop asking me so frequently (I've had a guy contacting me dozen of times every fucking day) to do tasks for them and ask them to respect my time a little bit, they get offended because - OH MUH GOD HOW THE HELL COULD I SAY THAT THEY DON'T RESPECT THE OTHERS TIME???

So, sure, maybe compiler/library errors are possible, but they are still nothing compared to what humans do.
>>
>>36773246
I fucking envy you.

I wish I studied in Electrical Engineering instead of the fucking Theoretical Comemeputer Science.

I hate my life.
>>
>>36772466
Ex-programmer reporting in. I used to code in not only college and work, but also as a hobby.

>age
NEET
used to be C and C++
>how is your life these days
don't really code anymore, first I was too busy, then my computer broke, and eventually I lost interest
>>
>>36773628
It's not that big of a deal, really. I did compE in undergrad. My grad is pretty much compE but the degree says ECE. Also, during undergrad, I was mostly focused on software bc my school had a weird program. I only started getting into HW during the end of my undergrad and realized i liked it more, so I switched to pure HW focus for grad school. I don't really like EE, only compE. Anyway CS is still not an awful degree assuming you don't go to a meme school
>>
>>36772466
College
C++, python and MySQL in that order

good its always fun learning new libraries and it helps me forget that my social life is near non existent and generally keep my mind off of my social autism and im getting my first payed job for programming, 200$ to make a InstagramBot and TwitterBot though that means i have to go learn how those website actually work.
>>
>>36773789
>MySQL

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>36773661
Well I'm on my country's equivalent of "Faculty of Science" which is the only place you have any pedantic mathematics going on. Having Analysis is one of the reasons I love it - I couldn't stand having just Calculus bullshit to memorize, without any theoretical background - and I have a great Analysis teacher right now so I'm happy.

But the programming class is fucking shit-tier. There is a very respected professor who used to teach programming, but Faculty of Electrical Engineering offered him more $$$ so he left. Now we're left with an autistic mad genius who wants to weed out all the subhumans so he gives shit lectures and crazy hard exams. I'm still managing to pass since I've been doing C++ since high school, but out of 120 students, only 10 have passed his subject.
>>
File: LUTHER.jpg (71KB, 450x335px) Image search: [Google]
LUTHER.jpg
71KB, 450x335px
>>36772466
>>age

>>NEET/employed/college/other
emplo & MGTOW

>>fav programming language
Rust
but mostly use Ruby at work

>>how is your life these days?
funny.
bought almost a grand worth of LEGOs and a good geiger counter.
>>
File: 1412095276393.jpg (80KB, 550x545px) Image search: [Google]
1412095276393.jpg
80KB, 550x545px
>>36772466

> 21
> NEET
> I liked Java a lot but I know C# too
> Very good.

Gave up programming though and taught myself 3D animation and that's going quite well. Almost 1,800 hours experience so far, but haven't published anything since last year as I've been busy making tests and trying out new ways to do stuff.
>>
>>36773884
That sounds shitty man. Get your BS then apply to grad school somewhere better
>>
i'm neet and wanna learn programming because the want to build things for various purposes, where to start?
>>
> 25
> internship
> doing PHP crud apps all day

I hate it. Only a month to go and my contract ends.

I'm not sure if I want to continue, I want to go back to the NEET life. But >nomoney, >nofuture, >dyingalone.
>>
>>36774313
I learned the basics pretty quickly with c++, then try java. Some people would recommend python, which is not bad, but I think it's too simple for learning. Just my opinion, though.
>>
So what do I need to start making money now? I can host/design sites, apps and develop desktop applications but I have no degree
>>
>>36773162
Are you trying to fucking humblebrag?
On a fucking cross thread of the two most pathetic boards on 4chan?
Fucking write a program that can kill yourself you fucking loser
>>
>>36773162
BraaaP
Hehe
>>
Employed
Python

I'm bored but don't have any fun project to work on. I just solve puzzles for fun, but this has become unsatisfying.
>>
>21
>finishing my sophomore year now
>java and python because its all I know
>literally don't know how to do shit except make retarded GUI and JApplets and draw shit with loops
>>
Does game maker language count
>>
How do you guys see Ocaml language? And other functional programming languages, do they have a future?
>>
>>36772466
>be me
>been programming HTML since 2011-7
>know septillion+1 prog languages
>more intelligent then everyone ever
>administrate and solder my own cpus on a biannual basis
>best hacks and social engines for owning normies (ree)
>only ever used pcs I built myself including this thinkpad I'm on right now
>never owned a smartphone or used Java or Facenigger
>never been gainfully employed
why haven't I killed myself yet to be honest?
>>
>>36772527
>>36772673
no no no you have it all wrong you can do ANYTHING

anything.

>>36772905
really made my boil my almonds in hot water for 5 minutes

>>36773119
ok. no.

>>36773154
return true

>>36773162
>At what point can you call yourself a programmer.
never never never ever life is now is now or now or never you'll never see me again

>>36773162
>I wrote a small server in C using the windows native socket api
>Am I now a programmer?
yes

>>36773177
>>36773246
>>36773393
>>36773628
>>36773645
>>36773661
>>36773789
>>36773884
>>36773955
>>36773987
>>36774395
>>36774878
>>36774898
tl;dr I don't give a toss about your life story holy shit losers lmao

real talk though not a lot of meaningful discussion in this thread and there should be. the god damn turbo-autists have a stranglehold on /g/dpt and the normies own reddit/hn/freenode/everywhere/za wardo

revise the premise since robots are shy and self-deprecating: what's the most ~ a m a z i n g ~ piece of shit program you ever made?? not answering myself because I don't want to dox silly boys~
>>
>>36772673
How do you have tge patience to be able to put up with some error in code? Whenever i tried to learn this shit i get really fucking angry and just quit whenever i do something wrong
>>
>>36775971
don't take it personally think of it like a puzzle

or do crosswords make you angry too?
>>
>>36772466
>26
>underemployed but make a decent living doing what I love
>C so far
>It's aight

getting into unity soon, excited to makes gaymes.
>>
AUTOHOTKEY master race reporting in

>Reply to this post if you fuck with AHK for one free :=
>>
>>36773246
The best programmers at my job are EEs, some of them make us CS guys look like clowns. It's pretty humbling
>>
>>36772527
I don't but it's too late for me. I have a masters degree in cs and already started working as one. I get paid well and don't have the energy to do anything else
>>
>>36775911
look guys somebody got triggered!
>>
>>36775911
If you're OP, you're a turbo faggot. You didn't even intend for real discussion you niggerkike.
>>
>>36772527
>Programming is boring as fuck. How do people like it?

It makes money. Whether you work for someone else or sell your own software, you have a surefire way to make money anywhere in the world.

Also if you spend more than a couple of hours a day on a computer every day it's VERY worth it to learn it. You can automate all sorts of things and become far more productive than non-programming normies.
>>
File: loizf.jpg (51KB, 443x413px) Image search: [Google]
loizf.jpg
51KB, 443x413px
>>36775971
I actually enjoy it, especially when I have to spend a shitton of time because I hacked up an almost working code for a project due that needs fixing.

Debugging is one of my favorite parts of coding - I start dividing the code in parts, printing the value of buffers on standard output before every block of code and eventually localize it, then spend a few minutes trying to figure out where the bug is. Sometimes I give up; mostly I somehow figure it out and fix it.

One time I made a small game in SFML, and I had a linked list of "Enemy" objects, through which the program iterated at every frame to see if they collided with the "Player" object - and if it collided, it called a function to delete all the enemies so I can start the game over.
But for some reason, sometimes the game crashed after collision. The code appeared to be fine - everything is working as expected, but still segmentation fault is happening.
I spend days thinking about it and finally figured it out - since the function for deleting the "Enemy" objects was called inside a for loop (when a condition was met), it deleted all the objects from the list - BUT DIDN'T BREAK THE 'FOR' LOOP SO THE LOOP CONTINUED TO ITERATE THROUGH THE LEFTOVER DATA FROM THE DELETED LIST.

Goddamn, it was a rush when I finally figured out where the bug was.
>>
>>36776203
what kind of job? i find it totally depends on what type of project you're working on. and for the record, i'm truly a compE and I find that EEs code is usually shit. But maybe it's just that everyone's usually is
>>
>>36775911
Underage b&

Get the fuck out of my thread faggot
>>
>>36774898
You have plenty of time. I was the same at your age but with a lot more languages . I joined an internship and realized the guy without a degree who learnt it by himself was a hundred times better. I would get fucked doing the simplest tasks but I got by that phase and now I am decent. The only answer to the problem is coding a lot everyday and you could only do that by working. Anybody could do become semi-decent with just 3 months done seriously. You never get that in uni. Cs degrees are a pathetic joke.
>>
>>36776311
>Also if you spend more than a couple of hours a day on a computer every day it's VERY worth it to learn it
Not that anon but it's very fucking boring. I'd like to work with computers but not as a programmer or coder, shit makes me nauseous.
>>
>age
NEET
Java
it's shit, if I do not find a job soon I'll be homeless.
>>
>>36776324
This is everything I hate about coding. There are people putting pressure on you to fix that shit but it only makes things worse and I end up having to do it at home with a clear head.
>>
>>36776328
Embedded systems. I should have clarified, if we are talking about clean code, unit tests, etc the the CS guys are more reliable but when it comes to finding novel and effective solutions to difficult problems it's usually an EE guy who pulled some crazy shit out of his ass.
>>
>>36776363
>>36776309
>>36776301
ilu2bb thanks for the (You)'s
>>
>>36776624
Here's another one, fella, out of charity. Your life must be really miserable for you to come here for (You)'s..
>>
>>36772673
that was a VERY nice explanation
>>
>19
>student
>C
>probably going to ditch doing programming as a career
I'm really shit and the idea of trying to program in an office full of people counting on me stresses me the fuck out.
>>
>>36775971
it's an opportunity to get better. you can analyse the error to figure out why it's there, and in turn become a better programmer by understanding why things do what they do.

also it's fun figuring things out and making them work when theyre broken
>>
>>36776324
I love debugging as well. A lot of my job involves parsing serial data that is communicated to a central processor by other various devices. I have to extract meaningful information from each devices to determine where to send it back to, identify errors, etc. Actually really and truly learning debugging has really paid off for me and it's funny bc no one taught me the art of debugging in uni, I had to learn it's value on the job.
>>
File: example-nosound.webm (2MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
example-nosound.webm
2MB, 854x480px
>>36775674
Some time ago I had to debug an OCaml program, and the root cause was some stupid issue about the standard library not stripping off the trailing \r on Windows when reading a line from standard input. Doesn't seem very mature to me.

I think functional languages, like Haskell, ultimately are more valuable for the functional concepts they carried over to mainstream languages, than being useful on their own.
>>
>>36776066
No, it's weird too because I only get like that when it comes to programming
>>
>>36773809
He meant that he's retarded
>>
File: clf.png (583KB, 673x682px) Image search: [Google]
clf.png
583KB, 673x682px
>>36772527
This is how

I've also trained this network on classifying SFW or NSFW

it learned to look for tits

so now I've got a tool that crops everything out of the image that's not tits
>>
>>36776887
SQL is a programming language dude. I believe it's a declarative language.
>>
>>36776973
I get great satisfaction from writing sql queries, shit is fun
>>
>>36772466
doing Internship atm
Java, second fav is PHP
I've been pretty busy lately, but other than that everything is good.

I had some very weird javascript bugs today, it seems that the javascript code works whenever I'm debugging it on the browser, with the actual console on the screen; but stops working whenever I close the browser console, even when I made no alterations at all to the code.
>>
>>36776624
No thank you. You have already given me more (You)'s than I gave you
>>
>>36776954
I wanna learn machine learning and neural nets, but the learning curve seems too steep. How do I start ?
Should I just start learning the basics, or try to implement something complicated right away ?
>>
>>36777643
>How do I start ?

Make a recommendation system
>>
>>36777643
this just got released
https://www.amazon.com/Hands-Machine-Learning-Scikit-Learn-TensorFlow/dp/1491962291/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493935144&sr=8-1

it's by the ex youtube ML lead engineer

this is wtihout a doubt the single best computer science book I've ever read

if you can't learn ML with this book, you can't at all
>>
>>36776660
it literally is, I wasn't trying to be reddit or whatever you niggers were calling me I'm just sad + drunk ;~;

>>36776783
let me have your babies
>>
>>36777777

I've opened the portal
>>
>28
>SQL/SAS data analyst monkey
Some might not call us real programmers though, I have no CS education after all. Gotta get in that machine learning at some point.
>>
>>36776660
hey my life is miserable too can i get some (you)'s
>>
File: 4u.jpg (14KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
4u.jpg
14KB, 600x450px
>>36778461
No problem anon. Don't forget when seven came from above
>>
>>36778620
(you) + tits
its my lucky day today
>>
>>36772466
>age
College
>fav language
C and Java
>how is your life these days
I'm on /r9k/, so I have no life, no gf, no friends, and lonliness and sadness 24/7. Not like I ever didn't have these things.

>>36772527
You can make ANYTHING you want, exactly how you want it. It's really cool and you feel great after solving a problem with your program you've been stuck with for a while, or if you discover a clever or shorter write something isn't the conventional method. It feels like you accomplished something with your life, even though you're a complele failure nobody.
>>
Trying to get better at programming.

I'm not that great, but practice really helps.

What sorts of things do you guys use to get better?
>>
dropout
nim
angry all the time
>>
>>36772466
>age
Employed, currently lead of a small team in the company and we do whatever needs to be done. Right now, it's integration and functional testing, as well as formal specification/documentation for our protocol. I also have a second job as a software dev for a HFT firm.
Haskell, and I use it at work. I use F# at my second job, Microsoft pisses me off with their lack of interest but it's pretty sweet anyway.
Good. I can take care of my mother, my siblings and soon, my father and uncles and grandparents and whoever else needs help, I don't care. The more money I make, the more eager I am to give it away. In one year, from starving and being homeless and browsing r9k for tips on suicide to this.

Hard work always pays off, lads.
>>
>>36772466
>20
>NEET I guess
>C and Erlang
>learning java currently to make android shit apps, it's a lot better than I originally expected
>>
>>36773162
When you are confident in your ability to implement a larger project in the language, so when you know most features and are able to use a library, like the socket API.
>>
>>36772466
>23
>unemployed
>fav is c++/bash
>life is good
>>
>>36773595
>ask them to respect my time a little bit, they get offended because - OH MUH GOD HOW THE HELL COULD I SAY THAT THEY DON'T RESPECT THE OTHERS TIME???
You shouldn't have said that they should respect your time, because that paints them as guilty, and they turn defensive, you should have just said that you don't have time for this, because you too have to study. I'm not saying you were wrong though.
>>
>>36780091
fucking bash? you 3 real m9
>>
>>36775971

Errors are fun for me at this point. It's very fulfilling for me to be ableto solve something that I've never solved before, and that's how errors are,
>>
>>36772466

>love programming
>hate most industry programmers I've met IRL
>all of them are selfish assholes
>all of them think they're hot shit for being good at computers
>all your bosses think they're the next Steve Jobs even though they run shitty little tech companies
>even though Steve Jobs was a faggot
>tfw the real world sucks
>>
>>36773162

Not really because a server can be extremely simple and windows is for bitchmade programmers
>>
>>36772466
Wow this place sure has a lot of programmers. Since I'm a NEET, I thought about getting into programming instead of completely wasting my time.

Could any robot with nothing better to do give me a quick rundown on the concept and how to get started? Like, what's up with all these different languages, which languages are the hardest to learn, etc.

Also would a rookie get started... Wait is it even possible to learn programming without attending an actual class?
>>
>>36781850

I would help you learn if I could. You can learn on your own, start with Python or Java, those are easy enough for beginners. Yes you can learn on your own.
>>
>>36772527
It's basically abstracted puzzles with multiple ways to solve.
>>
>>36772466

>not writing your own programming language
>>
>>36772466
>22
>NEET/other
>Don't really have a favourite. I use a combination of C and LuaJIT for whatever I need to accomplish.
>meh
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.