[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

File: 1493761356919.jpg (235KB, 1100x3300px) Image search: [Google]
1493761356919.jpg
235KB, 1100x3300px
How deep can you got?

>mfw I ended right before serious math
>>
File: 1492891154296.jpg (57KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1492891154296.jpg
57KB, 645x773px
>22
>At calculus level right now because I dropped out of highschool when I was sophomore.
I guess it's better than not even knowing how to do division properly, I'm surprise I like learning it more than programming.
>>
I still don't understand calculus, I've failed several calc classes through highschool and college. But I made it to several parts of Serious math.
>>
File: 1493258545009.jpg (50KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1493258545009.jpg
50KB, 409x409px
>>36739603
We completed metric spaces and group theory in our classes this year.
>>
>>36739603
My last required math course covered things just before serious math.
>>
got up to homeomorphisms and now i hate math
>>
>>36739603
Math is for autist.

While everyone should get into serious math at some point in their life, things that involve math are much more interesting and useful.

Engineering, economy, business, to name a few.

I'm a problem solver, an ISTP, not a mathematician though.
>>
>24 years old
>Elementary Algebra

Ive pretty much forgotten everything I learned in school. Feels Bad.
>>
>>36740166

>being too stupid for math
>math isn't useful, except whenever it is
>also here's my results from some personality test i took on the internet
>>
>>36740247
Sounds like your reading comprehension is fucked anon.
>>
Hoping to understand Fermat's Last Theorem, but I'm only at serious math.
>>
>multivariable calculus and diff eq
>4-D calculus is easier than linear transformations
What retard made this?
>boolean algebra
>serious math
It's literally 1's and 0's
>>
>>36740194
It's to be expected if you don't keep it fresh. I remember Ted Kaczynski said he forgot most of the math he learned in his life and he has something like a 175 IQ.
>>
>>36740330

seriously? fermat's last theorem isn't difficult to understand?? unless you're trying to understand the proof
>>
Just got a B.S. in Math last week, I took functional analysis which covers banach and Hilbert spaces, took algebraic number theory as well as algebraic structures, took real analysis and complex analysis. Of everything however, non discrete combinatorics, i.e. Infinitary combinatorics, was my favorite. Gonna take the GRE and try to get into a good grad school now
>>
>>36740417

i'm getting my bs in math because it's BULLSHIT
>>
>>36739603
IUTT is definitely the hardest simply because only a literal handful of mathematicians understand it fully.
>>
I never even passed Algebra 1 or Geometry
>>
>>36739603
this was clearly made by someone who was at or around "topology" and bullshitted what was above him

>unless Grothendieck was making memes from the Pyrenees
>>
>>36739603
Why is boolean algebra down so far? Why is laplace so much further down than diff eqs? A lot of this doesnt make sense
>>
>>36740537

i just realized everything past a certain point is either related to topology or is some big name problem
>>
bachelors in applied math

realized academia is a meme
>>
File: Bilbobaggins.png (641KB, 963x800px) Image search: [Google]
Bilbobaggins.png
641KB, 963x800px
>C in Calc II
>don't have the unit circle memorized
>have no idea how to use it even if I did know it
>>
>>36740637

no one expects engineers to be competent
>>
>>36739603
Ended right before serious math
And my math education is unlikely to ever go higher

I will max out at tensors

so basically everything useful desu
>>
>>36740521
How? Like fuck desu, that shit is common sense
>>
>>36740677
I was a slow learner and had bad teachers. Like every parent I ever heard talk about them complained that they were bad teachers. Didn't help that I didn't give a shit either
>>
fuck math

I'm an engineer and I just meme math most of the time. Never used anything past clac II lmao
>>
>>36740656
No but I will make more money than you straight out of uni with a comfy internship at a company while your autistic ass is drowning in debt for a useless pure math degree.
>>
>>36739603
I wish I was good at math. INB4 "you just have to practice", you cant practice something that bores you to death. Anyways, I am somewhere around the matrices/complex numbers/logarithms level. Truly brainlet tier.
>>
>>36739603
to be honest the highest i remember is the fundamental theorem of calculus and I don't remember a whole lot of other shit. I had my first psychotic episode my senior year of highschool and just wrote gibberish on calc tests. Eventually they just gifted me some credits to get my creepy ass out of the place for the rest of the year lol.
>>
>>36740728

>drowning in debt
>he didn't get scholarships
>thinks he'all graduate even though he thinks calc II is hard
>thinks math degrees aren't employable

lmao'ing @ ur life m8
>>
I've tested at genius iq in a legitimate iq test but I am fucking awful at math
>>
>>36739603
For 2 years, I was a pure math PhD student at one of the top departments in the US, where I studied several of the topics past the """""Genius"""" Level gap and also some others which the creator of this image presumably hadn't heard of. The metaphor of a trench is quite apt, as after you pass a certain point, it's quite easy to fall down the rabbit hole, and start to wonder what it was about the subject that you found attractive in the first place.

Also, it's ludicrous to single out Cohomology and Symplectic Geometry as being on another level from the rest of the advanced undergraduate curriculum.
>>
>>36741003

>i may be an idiot but at least i have this iq test score to make me feel better
>>
>>36739603
One-time pads can't be cracked.
>>
File: come at me brainlets.png (81KB, 300x254px) Image search: [Google]
come at me brainlets.png
81KB, 300x254px
Math major in second year here, I've completed everything up through the serious math gap, and I'm starting to spill over into group theory and cryptography.

If you aren't good at math, you should be shot.
>>
>>36741022
how old is too old

also are appliedfags really brainlets
>>
>>36741050

>if you aren't good at math, you should be shot

wait until you realize that you hate math and going to college for something to validate your intelligence was a bad ide
>>
>>36740928
Im already done with undergrad math, you autist. I also dont have student loans.
>he thinks his autist geek pure math degree is gonna get him anywhere other than a shitty teaching job
Kek
>>
>>36741053
too old for what?

and no, some applied mathematicians are very smart, although there is a lot of garbage in the field
>>
i never learned how to divide or multiply without a calculator
>>
>>36741022
you sound like a giant fucking cornball and are probably lying. "The metaphor is apt" dude what the hell are you even from earth?
>>
>>36741105
too old to ruin my life gettin dem phd
>>
>>36739603
that pic is a meme brainlet.
the things at the bottom dont even mean anything
>>
>>36741124

why do you think he lying? does it make you insecure that someone is smarter than you?
>>
>>36741124
Not him but you have to be a brainlet to think that basic vocabulary like "apt" is impressive.
>>
>>36741145
there was some guy in my program who was in his 40s, never too late if you really want to
>>
File: lol.jpg (45KB, 728x635px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
45KB, 728x635px
I don't have the brain required to become Terence Tao, so why bother with math?
>>
>>36741171
yeah you got me im insecure that some dude studied shapes and numbers and is now analyzing the semiotics of an iceberg meme on r9k
>>
How do I learn math when I have ignored it as a kid? Is it too late?
>>
>>36741243
Oh wow, that is pretty sad. Hope your life gets better friendo.
>>
>>36741265
Yeah, it's too late. Kys my dude.
>>
Failed elementary algebra once, falied intermediate algebra once and failed college algebra once. But eventually I made it thru all 3 with heavy hand holding. Math is the sole reason I'm still stuck in community college for 3 years and have no associates.
>>
>>36739603
I got to around inverse chain rule
now im an art major
>>
>>36741290
this is good dialogue because it is like a snide teevee comment.
>>
File: 1483352504259.png (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1483352504259.png
1MB, 2000x2000px
>>36741265
This is actually really bad

I have seen some studies that lack of math exposure not only fucks you up for future math learning but also for critical reasoning skills and abstract thinking
>>
>>36741433
someone shop this shop to put /r9k/ above /pol/ lmao
>>
>>36741433

as a lurker of /adv/ and /pol/
i would advise that this was made by someone from pol
>>
This picture is retarded. "One-Time Pad Decryption" lmao
>>
>>36739603
>alegebraic geometry
>serious
>>
>>36740340
that's not what boolean algebra is retard
>>
>>36739603
>random sequence extrapolation
lmao what the fuck is this
>>
>>36743112
It's a joke buddy
>>
>>36741492
The original pic was made by high ego /lit/fags
>>
>boolean algebra
>fractals

>"SERIOUS MATH"

toppolus kekkous
>>
>be me
>drop out of school in first grade
>go into homeschool
>except don't do any schooling
>play video games all day and NEET it up since age 8
>have the mathematical skill of a 12 year old
>at 4th grade levels of most other things

So r9k, how fucked am I?
>>
>>36739603
Aside from vectors being way too low, it's kind of legit.
All of what I've studied gets a little old in my mind, but I remember at one point having no issues with some fractals constructions. The really simple ones, like Mandelbrot.
Aside from that, I'd say tensors, as I've studied them for engineering.
>>
>>36739603
Not approached serious math. Did partial differentials. Will do fourier some time
>>
>>36743699
>So r9k, how fucked am I?

Not at all. I know you want to engage in some self-destructive conversation, but really you have a lot of options. The only person holding you back is yourself.

Go on Khan Academy and start learning maths from the start. When you get up to algebra or calculus, invest in a text-book and you'll be golden.

I had a similar situation to you and I fixed it.
>>
>>36743699
I'm in the same boat (pulled out of school at grade 6 and was "homeschooled") and only recently started getting back into it. Thankfully math is one of those things you can pick up and just start learning easily online these days.

I was never good at math in school because I didn't care, but if you actually want to learn it you pick it up pretty fast.
>>
>>36739603
elementary algebra sadly
>>
>>36739603

Deepest I have gotten with a clear and thorough understanding is boolean algebra, but I have studied things up through the P=NP problem.

Here's a protip though, P =/= NP
>>
>>36741124
But that is a metaphor and apt is an rven shorter word than fitting or suitable...

Not sure whybyou found is response forced.
>>
>tfw too stupid for maths
i wish i was meme will hunting. i would've taken that job at the nsa for sure and decrypted shit to have sangniggers blasted to hell
>>
File: 1483693698772.jpg (95KB, 782x960px) Image search: [Google]
1483693698772.jpg
95KB, 782x960px
One upside of my retail job is now I can do pretty much any addition of numbers up to about 6 digits in my head. That's actually really big for me as I used to be totally shit at even basic mental math.

Calculus is where I stopped academically. I pretty much tanked my last few maths classes in high school. Shit ain't for me.
>>
>>36739603
>TFW just starting logarithms.
>>
I dropped out in 10th grade. But I did do khan academy up to trig. But I forget most of it.
>>
File: Autistic Thumbs Up Pepe.png (31KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
Autistic Thumbs Up Pepe.png
31KB, 720x644px
>Tfw calc 1-3 were easy and fun
>>
>>36739603
I'm at triple integration now. Eventually I hope to reach AI level when computers become powerful enough to generate it for me
>>
File: 1493287253354s.jpg (2KB, 90x125px) Image search: [Google]
1493287253354s.jpg
2KB, 90x125px
>>36743730
I tried learning calculus from a textbook when I was 15 but it was hell. They don't explain anything correctly, and make the assumption that you have a teacher utilizing it. Better to just chip 300 bucks into a community college class
>>
I'm proud that I never took a math higher than algebra 2. Fuck stem garbage, absolutely useless to any non-autist outside the field.
>>
I'm 25 and just got to multivariable calculus. I'm taking it way too slow because i'm studying on my own,dont have to study for exams but I dont want to skip a single definition or example.
>>
>>36739603
halfway through serious. That's about as far as I want to go right now. I want to delve deeper in to CS and AI.
>>
>>36744940
>all stem majors are autists
>proud of being an idiot
hmmmmm that really gets the neurons firing
>>
>tfw you have to use your fingers for basic math
only true mathlets understand
>>
>>36739603
the picture is stupid because several of the terms like "optimization" or "partial differential equations" are introduced at undergraduate level but their research continues all the way to the current frontiers of mathematics.

and some "fields" are way too deep.

"metric spaces" ??! that's a second year undergraduate sub-field in a bog-standard analysis program.
how in the fuck could it possibly be deeper than measure theory or stochastic calculus?
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.