[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Pacific Islanders so fat?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Pacis.jpg (104KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
Pacis.jpg
104KB, 780x438px
Everywhere you go there, they're HUGE! I haven't seen a more obese native population before. Why?
>>
Genetic memory.

Expose mice to the smell of citrus and shock the shit out of them enough times and when they reproduce their children will panic just at the scent of it.

Pacific Islanders, like Mexicans have a recent genetic memory of always being hungry and starving so they become obese easier. The more time they spend in the first world as generations go on the more that evens out I think.
>>
Our lab just published a paper on the APO-E gene, an allele of which creates more efficient adipocyte formation in Samoans. Why are alleles like this more common in Polynesians? Probably evolution, perhaps a combination of selective pressure (islands are susceptible to drought) and bottlenecks (founding populations were small.)
>>
>>36730747
they were a hunter gatherer people until not too long ago, being exposed to shitty modern food so rapidly fucked them over same with many American Indians
>>
They love lard fried food and spam
>>
>>36730816
Oh, there actually is a scientific answer. Huh.
>>
>>36730779
>Expose mice to the smell of citrus and shock the shit out of them enough times and when they reproduce their children will panic just at the scent of it.

That can't be true. The implications of this are... my god...
>>
>>36730747
It's their food. A diet of coconuts, taro, pork, etc... islander foods, they'll make anyone huge.
>>
>>36731088
>>36731088
It's true. It's called epigenetics. Where genes can be turned on and off via life experiences.

Sometimes the modified gene expression is passed on.
>>
>>36730747
It's due to the changes in their diet and culture around WWII. Their islands became American-occupied and their diets became based on tin cans of salted pork, aka Spam. Followed by corn syrup and everything else.

>>36730779
>Pacific Islanders, like Mexicans have a recent genetic memory of always being hungry and starving

That's just not true.

Also, everyone exposed to American food got fat after WWII. Including Americans themselves. Especially in the last few decades.

>>36731143
Their actual native foods aren't bad at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (146KB, 640x1050px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146KB, 640x1050px
>>36730779
>>36731088
>>36731218

Shocking.
>>
probably because they evolved to live off seafood and coconuts, without carbs they would have struggled to put on fat.
now they have cheap corn / wheat products they just pile on the pounds.
>>
>>36731338
>In psychology,

Stopped reading there.
>>
File: 1493676810154.png (33KB, 636x778px) Image search: [Google]
1493676810154.png
33KB, 636x778px
their "cuisine"
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.