[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do Christians feel when theyre inside a Science museum?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

File: 202.jpg (84KB, 350x235px) Image search: [Google]
202.jpg
84KB, 350x235px
How do Christians feel when theyre inside a Science museum?
>>
They like everything that isn't explicitly against the teaching of the bible.
>>
As a christian I feel fascinated by space
>>
>>36687113
They wont go mental and try to blow themselves up like muslims so who cares?
>>
>>36687113
"It truly is amazing that God makes all this possible."
>>
>>36687262
this

Do you really think that Christians don't believe in science OP?
>>
>>36687275
Most Christians don't believe in science or only selectively believe in it and ignore blatant facts.
>>
>>36687300
This is factually wrong though. You're literally living in a fantasy delusion.
>>
>>36687300
You're delusional my dude
>>
>>36687300
Do you think Christians deny the earth goes round the sun and atoms exist? There's tons of science stuff that doesnt encroach on religion.
>>
>>36687300
Which facts don't they believe?

You mean evolution? The thing which was discovered by a christian? The thing which the Catholic church fully endorses?
>>
>>36687366
>Which facts don't they believe?

>humans and apes share a common evolutionary ancestor
>transsexuals tend to have brain configurations that match the sex they see themselves as on brain scans, regardless of age or of hormones
>circumcision is harmful and provides no clear universal benefits
>objects in space are moving father apart over time and may have once been in one location
>earth is billions of years old not thousands of years old
>languages developed independent of each other

Probably a bunch of others I can't remember

>You mean evolution? The thing which was discovered by a christian? The thing which the Catholic church fully endorses?

I went to church twice weekly until I was 18. None of my many aunts, uncles, cousins etc. believe in evolution, parents don't, grandparents don't, siblings don't, and dozens of Christian's I've met growing up don't believe in it either. Not talking about 4chan Christians, I mean average Christians in America
>>
>>36687300
This is wrong, >>36687262 is completely correct. With the exception of evolution and climate change most Christians that is how they view science. To be honest I prefer the ones that ignore blatant facts. At least they stick with their beliefs. Christians that just appropriate anything that is against their religion as being part of their religion are the fucking worst.
>>
>>36687354
Oh shit im christian i guess i have to stop believing in gravity! Because this guy says that we don't like science so I'll listen to the smart science man
>>
>>36687448
Are you an American?

I'm a Catholic and I believe all the things that you have said I apparently don't believe in.

>earth is billions of years old not thousands of years old

wow...
>>
>>36687448
Oh and I should have added to this.

Most Christians don't know fucking shit about their own religion. When I say that a Christian developed the theory of evolution they say I'm a liar. They also think the Catholic Church the way they think of Mormons, it's some strange foreign cult to them, it's like primitive Christianity to them.
>>
>>36687503
I think his family is just that stupid and he wants to feel better about it so he hates all Christians and tells them what they believe
>>
>>36687473
>Christians that just appropriate anything that is against their religion as being part of their religion are the fucking worst.

Name one scientific fact that goes against Christianity.
>>
>>36687519
>Most Christians don't know fucking shit about their own religion

This is wrong once more. I'm sorry but you are very delusional.
>>
>>36687503
Yeah I'm American thought it was obvious.

>>36687531
My family isn't stupid at all. Like I said most Christians don't know anything about their religion and just follow whatever they hear their pastor tell them.

I don't hate Christians either, the most kind, loving, and selfless people I've known were all Christians. That doesn't change the fact that most Christians in America don't believe in many common scientific facts.
>>
>>36687599
>That doesn't change the fact that most Christians in America don't believe in many common scientific facts

That's because the average American is a retard. American Christians reflect the general population.
>>
>>36687550
The Earth is not 6000 years old. There is one fact. That of course is not the basis of my argument. Im talking about when people look at a fact that conflicts with their religion and then they go "oh isnt god wonderful." For example most religious people I know, and I come from Utah, believe god guides evolution. The idea of evolution itself conflicts with the idea that god created the world and its creatures as they are, yet instead of just admitting it doesn't follow their beliefs they claim god did it.
>>
>>36687636
Thanks for agreeing with me then
>>
>>36687640
>The Earth is not 6000 years old. There is one fact.

Where in the Bible does it say this?
>>
>>36687664
The Bible provides a complete genealogy from Adam to Jesus. You can go through the genealogies and add up the years. You'll get a total that is just over 4,000 years. Add the 2,000 years since the time of Jesus and you get just over 6,000 years since God created everything.
>>
>>36687698
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
>>
How do scientists feel when they're inside a church?
>>
>>36687113
I LOVE science and museums. And yes I am totally a Christian. Your assumptive view of Christians being anti-science are very ignorant.
>>
>>36687698
people also lived for thousands of years in the bible
>>
>>36687726
They feel at home, because many scientists are Christians.
>>
>>36687698
Thank you Luther!
>>
>>36687366
>>36687448

I think it's also worth keeping in mind that the Catholic Church bends to stuff like this more out of necessity than real enthusiasm; I think Galileo got cleared of heresy as late as 1992, for instance, because that was the exact moment when it got too embarrassing to still consider him a "heretic."

The Catholic Church and Christianity in general doesn't like the idea of evolution because in their view humans are special and were created in God's likeness and blah blah blah, which is not at all suggested by the process of random mutation and natural selection which resulted in us, along with all the other species currently alive on this planet. This is also why they didn't like heliocentrism; they wanted the Earth to be the center of the universe because that makes it seem more like the universe was created for humans. Humans popping up via random selection on a planet orbiting around a star just like billions of others in a fairly random part of the outer sections of a galaxy that is also adrift in a sea of similar galaxies sure doesn't make it seem like there's a God who cares specifically about us.

But the weight of evidence has, over time, just forced them to abandon positions they used to enforce with great vigor and violence. It's not that the theology has changed, its just that the churches themselves have grown weaker. We can see this reflected in the creationist bedrocks here in America; where Christianity is strong enough, it pushes back against evolution and stamps it out with creationism, evidence be damned. Where churches are filled with "moderates" that can't believe anything so silly, they have to bend and say "Sure evolution, God works in mysterious ways." And you can see it in things they're still slow on, like condom use. A Pope might eventually get pushed to say that using a condom isn't so bad, but will it be because his scripture changed? Nope, it'll be because of secular pressure.
>>
>>36687735
I am of course arguing for what the Bible states, not actual history. The bible gives a record of genealogies descending from Adam and Eve. If also gives us a pretty good idea of how much time has passed. If you track the time between the time of Adam and the time of Jesus you get about 4000 years. This is where we get the 6000 number from. People who interpret the bible literally will tell you the Earth is only 6000 years old
>>
>>36687807
Those are called Bible believing Christians and they are completely ignorant of metaphysics, science and philosophy
>>
>>36687473
>climate change

This actually isn't a religious position, it's a political one, although one closely associated with the type of people who also tend to be strong Christians and socially conservative on top. The Pope actually put out a pamphlet about climate change and how important it is to deal with it just recently, and indeed it doesn't conflict with scripture to say that you should treat the planet God supposedly gave you with care instead of shitting all over it.

However, the kind of people who tend to be most devout also tend to be right-leaning and hate regulations for no good reason; dealing with climate change will require quite a lot of regulation and so they tend to be opposed. That they're already comfortable pretending science is wrong on evolution just makes them more prone to that.
>>
>>36687726
This is different.

>>36687178
So they believe they are simply special? Let's assume we're not speaking of God as in 'the great entity who is responsible for the universe', but Jesus reincarnate and the strict Christian definition.

>>36687727
How does 'masturbate and chop your hand off' go with the great, infinite expanse of the universe? How do you come to terms with the fact that the way your religion thinks, in certain areas, is very narrow-minded, yet the universe is the complete opposite? Out of all there is in life and history, Christianity *is* the one and only religion which is the absolute truth, and all other religions are shit? Your religion itself is absolutely accurate?

And not saying religion is bad - many good things are taught from religion and we all need something to believe in - even if it's nothing.

Out of all the religions and schools of thought, why Christianity?
>>
>>36687726
It depends on the church but being in a beautiful church makes me feel at peace. Also I like sermons where they focus more on the teachings of Jesus and not on the existence of god. I feel like religion should be about the teachings of Christ and how to be a better person. Now, going to church where they spend the entire time on how god is real and how not to go to hell, that shit makes me uncomfortable. I also hate most modern churches, they feel very cold and institutional.
>>
>>36687905
I know fully well climate change is not a religious issue, but Americans sure do like to make it one.
>>
>>36687898
Yes anon, that was my original point.
>>
>>36687113
Christian here. It depends on what kind of "science" is displayed.
>>
>>36687998
Behold! Homo farnsworth frolicking with dinosaurs at the moment of creation.
>>
>>36687917
Is militant anti christian atheism popular again?
>>
>>36688053
kek, have a (you) my man
>>
>>36687805
Galileo being accused of heresy is not simply a matter of him being a heliocentrist. In fact heliocentric view was already being taught in Spanish universities for decades at this point.
Even the "and yet it moves" is a complete meme that is supposed to reinforce the idea of the struggle of science against the opression by the church.
The most likely reason is that Galileo mocked the pope in his writings and on general wanted to move the debate into theology and what the contradiction with the bible mean rather tham stick to astronomy.
>>
>>36687113
Pretty good - science museums tend to be quite interesting.

But, like most Christians, I'm not a creationist.
>>
>>36687113
You just appreciate being a part of something incomprehensible. Science is worship too. It's like when you learn that your favorite game has much more mechanical depth than you thought and you like it even more.
>>
>>36687898
That's anon's point.

How can you pick and choose what you want to believe?
>Hmm, there are a lot of things that are obviously, objectively wrong in this book. I'm still gonna take the rest of the book as gospel though.
The christian god will send you straight to hell anyways if you don't believe in everything in the book, so why not just choose another religion that doesn't follow the bible?
>>
Why do people love trying to bait and argue with Christians? Go befriend Achmed I guess.
>>
>>36687113

Oh yeah?
now ask the same about muslims
>>
>>36690279
They are even worse desu.
Don't know why some people attack Christianity but don't attack Islam even more fiercly.
>>
>>36687113
The same thing I feel everywhere else lonely and depressed
>>
File: pissed_off_jesus.jpg (125KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pissed_off_jesus.jpg
125KB, 600x600px
>christianity is anti-science
Is this what nu-atheists unironically believe in?
>>
I'm an atheist and I don't believe in evolution. Not enough evidence.
>>
Lots of Christians don't like the specific idea that people evolved from other non-human primates and some space facts that support the big bang theory. Get over it and stop denying basic facts guys. You're way more likely to meet a Christian that has issues with some things in a science museum than someone who doesn't have an issue with anything in the science museum.
>>
>>36691194
You don't belive in evolution itself cos not enough evidence. kek. What do you believe in then?
>>
>>36691303
Different type of evolution. Not Darwinian or Lamarckian.
>>
>>36691194
Not enough evidence of what? Random mutations occuring between generations? Are you retarded?
>>
>>36687113
Pretty damn good, knowing the big guy in the sky was smart enough to make weak-willed people his fools by filling the universe with nigh-incomprehensible mathematics.
>>
>>36691507
Fossil evidence
>>
>>36687113
Why do people think that Christianity and science are mutually exclusive? Science is just the study of god's methods and architectures.
>>
>>36687113
like niggers outside prison.
>>
>>36687113
Same as an atheist who speaks to an actual scientist on evolution
>>
>>36687300
Most Christians are not American Protestants dude. The Catholic church has been at the forefront of scientific inquiry for almost it's entire existence. Catholic priests discovered genetic inheritance, the Big Bang, that the Sun was at the center of our solar system. Okhams razor comes from William of Ockham, a Catholic Priest who worked on physics.
>>
How do atheistcucks feel when they're walking through the creationist theme park and suddenly a powerful christChad comes up and bullies them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9A-F8JEFyY
>>
>>36687113
Pretty facinated considering I'm an engineering major.
>>
>catholic school
>visited at least one or two science museums on all kinds of topics per year, school sponsored

american christianity is total and absolute garbage, ther premise of this thread shows it
>>
File: Wcj3wip.jpg (409KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Wcj3wip.jpg
409KB, 1920x1080px
>>36692508
Bill Nye is the perfect example of an educated atheist who doesn't buy into that anti-scientific creationist nonsense. He knows there are over 30 genders.
>>
>>36692343
Because many Christians ignore scientific theories not based on their own research or suspicions but because a book tells them otherwise. Evolution for one is literally impossible to argue for as a Christian. God made Adam in his image from earth. You can REALLY stretch it to make it so that in that one statement, he actually meant the entirety of mankind's evolution but lets be fucking real; the origin story implies God made Adam as a modern human from fucking dirt.
>>
File: 1486975753986.jpg (430KB, 1784x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1486975753986.jpg
430KB, 1784x1024px
>>36692617
>Evolution for one is literally impossible to argue for as a Christian
Why? Christians knew Genesis was allegorical back in 200 AD. You're confusing actual Christianity with American Protestantism again. Genesis is not a literal retelling of the creation of the world.
>>
>>36692617

americans are so fucking stupid
>>
>>36692680
If Genesis is not a literal retelling of the creation of the world, what basis does anyone have to assume God is all-powerful? Why even have the allegory in the first place if it has absolutely nothing to do with how creation actually was? Why not start the Bible with "God created everything. And then..."
>>
>>36692734
Genesis is important because it, like the rest of the Bible is all about the nature of man and what it is to be human. There are important elements that set the stage for Jesus, and why he needs to come. Consider Abraham being told to sacrifice Isaac. Why is that in there? It's often pointed to as an example of God being cruel, but that's the point. You're SUPPOSED to be appalled at what God asks Abraham to do. Because later on God doesn't hold back on his OWN son. The example of Abraham being told to sacrifice Isaac, is supposed to invoke gut wrenching sympathy because the purpose of that passage is to illustrate how great a sacrifice God made on our behalf by actually going through with it.

Anyway, the take away messages from the creation story are:

1. Man is different from all other creatures because of knowledge of our mortality ("You shall surely die")

2. Because of this our connection to God is severed. We exist in an unnatural state where we can knowingly and willingly do evil, because we alone recognize the difference between right and wrong. There is no moral weight to anything a Lion does, if it eats a gazelle it's just following it's biological programming. There is moral weight to EVERYTHING a human does because we are aware of alternatives and we know if we kill it is wrong.

3. All hope is not lost because God makes a covenant with Man to eventually reconcile with him
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.