[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is meditation a meme?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1464683339287.jpg (371KB, 540x778px) Image search: [Google]
1464683339287.jpg
371KB, 540x778px
Is meditation a meme?
>>
Everything you don't like is just a meme to you faggots. Grow up
>>
No, not at all

Meditation is just slowing your thoughts down so you can actually pay attention to what your subconscious thinks is important/what it's trying to tell you

Known thine own self
>>
>>36646061
He's asking if it's something trendy or a fad and has no substance
>>
>>36645972
I know there's a lot of research pro-meditation but in the end it's just a meme. Take pro-active action, don't meditate to be more accepting of having a shit life.
That being said, if you are in the process of getting your shit together it can help.
>>
>>36645972
i thought it to be pseudo-new_age-science, but actually i found it to be quite beneficial when i started to meditate. i don't know about its spiritual-tibet_monk aspects, but it certainly helped me be more present, focus, and less stressed, among other things
>>
>>36646224
pro-active action is also a meme since you die and forget. I would be a hypocrite, I admit, but I have escapist hedonism to pass the time until I can commit suicide.
Meditation and lucid dreaming are good just in case karmic reincarnation happens to be true.
But in all likely hood that's highly unlikely. Suicide is ultimately the best course of action.
>>
>>36646162
I always thought that "is XXX a meme" means "is XXX a joke".
>>
Meditation is the practice of stopping the train of thought to be able to focus in the present. The goal is to be able to keep that state of mind as much as you can the rest of the time.

If you are focused in the present you can not suffer, for suffering is either anxiousness for the future or weeping over past actions or experiences. This is not denial of reality, it is acknowledging of it. If you have to do X thing tomorrow you have to do it then, not now, so thinking about it before you're doing it is pointless. The same with things that happened to you in the past, you can't do anything about them so get over it and carry on.

I'll say it again, meditation is stopping the train of thought, so it doesn't take you with him. If you have control over your thoughts you have control over your emotions and you have control over your actions. The last thing you want is bad thoughts pestering you and making your life miserable. You want good or useful thoughts and only when you need them.

Just try it now. Look for a moment outside of the screen and try to focus in the present moment. Look at your surroundings and think what you are doing now, where are you now, what are the things that are next to you, and how are you feeling now. Do it without thoughts, without 'verbal' thoughts.
>>
>>36646354
but unless you have bone cancer or something there are always actions you can undertake to improve your life, even from the hedonist perspective

Buddha would probably ask if you are really happy like this. If there is anything remotely useful about meditation it is to clear your mind, let the anger, frustration and other follies evaporate and focus on a task that can get you out of your rut.
>>
>>36645972
The western/new age bastardization of meditation (with the annoying sitar music, pseudobuddhist mumbo jumbo and ohm chanting) is absolutely a meme
Actual meditation has serious physical and mental health benefits and you should definitely set some time aside to practice.
>>
File: 1493493791940.jpg (22KB, 639x639px) Image search: [Google]
1493493791940.jpg
22KB, 639x639px
Depends on what it promises to fix or cure.
>>
>>36645972
It helped loads with my anxiety, but I stopped cause my weed habit is pretty heavy and I felt like it was cheating to meditate while high, so now I'm just waiting for my rec to expire in 2 weeks, that way I cant get any weed and I can focus my withdrawal into my meditation
>>
>>36645972
It all depends on how you do it. If done right it can be beneficial to you mentally and spiritually, without getting too mystical here.
>>
>>36645972
No it helped me to clean my diet and in general im much more mindfull. Do it for 20 min/day and it will transform your life
>>
>>36646449
No it means "XXX is bullshit"
>>
No clue why normalfags suddenly like a religious practice that's even older than the Christ

It's a stupid fashion trend unless you believe in spiritual stuff or are into Buddhism
Taking a nap or any other form of rest most likely has better effects as whatever meditation is trying to accomplish

I personally do something akin to meditation to get closer to my waifu
>>
File: zazzy.jpg (77KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
zazzy.jpg
77KB, 850x400px
>>36646559
Just try it and see that you don't really know what 'action' is.
>>
>>36648180
there are both scientific studies on napping and meditation. two quite differ. research it
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.