[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a meaning to life? Discuss below...

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170429_155634_914.jpg (70KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170429_155634_914.jpg
70KB, 1080x1080px
Is there a meaning to life?
Discuss below...
>>
Meaning is subjective.
>>
>>36645598
I was afraid someone was going to say that... Well, in your opinion, is there a meaning to life?
>>
>>36645695
Meaning from whose point of view? What exactly do you mean by meaning? If you're asking if there's some specific, intrinsic meaning to life, why we exist in this time and place, then how the fuck should I know?
>>
What is this vulgar faggotry? You will die. You won't like it. Shut the fuck up about trying to figure it all out when you can't even sort your own life out. It's much too big for you and you aren't even that smart to begin with. Now go do something before the appointed hour of your doom arrives.
>>
File: 1481571071634.jpg (103KB, 840x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1481571071634.jpg
103KB, 840x1200px
>>36645500
when I fish gets swallowed and digested alive did it's life had meaning?

people in solitary confinement for years at a time?

people who get tortured in basement dungeons?

My aunt who is single her whole life and never had a job and lives alone?

Some antelope calf getting it's ass bitten off chunk at a time by a baboon?

What meaning did the life of any of these creatures have?
>>
>>36645777
>>36645777
>vulgar faggotry
This is coming from a man who lives in his mother's basement, folks.
>>
>>36645863
Your shitty ad hominem is supposed to make us think or something? You're both worthless, retarded people and should consider suicide.
>>
>>36645902
Y-you too underage b&
>>
>>36645500
I think it's purpose though.
Yes there is. But the only way to know is to be outside of life. Heaven or hell cannot exist because god's a shitty being who didn't make morality an equally distributed thing and the whole problem of theodicy.
So now, we have either reincarnation, karmic or random, or eternal oblivion.
Also, I find it kinda funny that what Buddhists refer to as nirvana is what scientific people call oblivion. But scientific people cut to the chase and fuck reincarnation entirely, ofting for just one life. To make things easier.
in Karmic reincarnation, there's a brief window after death, which is similar to the state between waking and sleeping. If you can somehow be aware of that state, then I think you can be enlightened.
Also, karma is not a sum total of all your actions in life, but merely your state of mind before death, and whether you are ready or not to die. Suicide doesn't count because most of the time it includes negative emotions and is unnatural.
I think eternal oblivion is more correct though, because materialists say our brain is the origin of our mind. Injuring the brain even extremely slightly can cause brain damage which causes changes to the mind.
Of course, there are dualists, and idealists, though I don't know what their arguments are.
>>36645598
My dude.
>>
>>36645862
does your aunt browse 4chan or watch anime like a degenerate? Or does she just read books? Or just watch Internet
>>
>>36645971
Forgot to include, random reincarnation has absolutely no window between the next lives, and is completely random.
>>
The meaning of life is life itself.
>>
>>36646020
she watches tv I guess

I don't really know what she does. But she can't use the internet and doesn't read. Shes 60
>>
> Difficulty in Knowing How
My words are profoundly easy to know.
Profoundly easy to perform.
In the social world none are able to know or to perform.
Language has an ancestor and social affairs have a ruler.
In general only lacking know-how--this counts as my know-how.
If those who know me are rare then things of mine are valuable.
Using this: Sages wrap precious jade in burlap.
>>
>>36645500
There was never any reason to live, so why are you now so bothered by it?

Meaning is what is meant by something. Only humans can make something mean something.
>>
it doesn't matter, at the end you die and stop existing. We mean nothing and we are nothing, when you die you stop existing and the energy goes back to the universe and that's it. There's just nothing like a meaning to life or a reason for it to be.
>>
>>36645862
>>36645971
I'm curious to see what happens after death... But for me, life is just a tedious process, which goes on for 80+ years until you die. After that, maybe if reincarnation exists, we get a chance at a better life. Or we become a tree... That's what I think at least.
>>
>>36646302
That's an answer I was hoping for... I just think about the topic a lot. Were we brought into this world just to eat, sleep, attend school from ages 5 to 18 (or 20 something, depending on if you go to college or not), get a job, start a family, pass on your legacy and die? Seems like a waste of time to me.
>>
>>36646126
I can't even imagine not using the Internet.
What's life mean for people who either have abysmal social skills or just don't care about social relationships? Is it just wanton escapism. That's just depressing.
>>
>>36646401
Well what wouldn't be a waste of time anon? We have to go to school otherwise we would be dumb as fuck and we have to work otherwise we would starve, crime would happen, nothing would get built etc.
>>
>>36646353
I've seen ufos before. After that I started researching and apparently there is overlap between ufos and afterlife stories.

Idk if any of those crazy stories are true, all I know is I saw a couple things flying and it was surreal.
>>
>>36646543
Of course, I agree with that, basic schooling should be mandatory. And to be a functioning member of society we must have a job and be educated. But at what cost? Is there nothing more to life than that?
>>
>>36646302
That's a vacuous truth. Sure, death is oblivion, but what is oblivion?
It's incomprehensible, since death as you define is the lack of all perspectival experience, so nothingness itself cannot be true, as nothing is still something.
Suppose you reincarnate after being dead for a trillion years. From your POV, it would seem instantaneous, since death is lack of all perception whatsoever.
blind people just see black, but that's still a sensory perception.
So feeling nothing doesn't make sense because nothing implies the dual existence of a something to that which there is a nothing of. Which doesn't make sense since that would imply you still have an idea of what sensory perceptions are. Oblivion makes sense but is incomprehensible.
>>
anyone else who cant grasp why you are yourself? i seriously cant understand how i can feel and experiance things as myself. i find it insane how small earth is compaired to the universe and therebare probably millions of places with things smarter than us
>>
>>36646576
I wouldn't say theres nothing more. That's just survival basically. Is it what you do in your free time?
>>
>>36646619
Who understands the world is learned;
Who understands the self is enlightened.
Who conquers the world has strength;
Who conquers the self has harmony.
Who is determined has purpose;
Who is contented has wealth.
Who defends his home may long endure;
Who surrenders his home may long survive it.
>>
>>36645500
>have potentially only one chance on this earth

The meaning of life is to experience everything you can to make life worth living, and to help others do the same. This manifests in ways you might not think of, however.

Every thought or action is valuable, from the most pleasant to the least. Think of it like this:

>if there is a higher being that consciously put you here, you have a duty to make the most of that and see everything in this life that you can

>if there is a higher being but it doesnt particularly care about you, then you have the same responsibility but to your own self rather than the higher being

>if there is no higher being, its fucking stupid to not make the most of 60 or so years given to you out of literally eternity, especially since you dont know if you'll ever get a chance for a second playthrough.

Youre experiences define your life, and one day when its time to move on, regardless of if there is a higher power, will you be able to tell yourself that you have defined a life?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.