[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /r9k/ feel about standardized testing?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: PROBLEM_9.jpg (137KB, 640x472px) Image search: [Google]
PROBLEM_9.jpg
137KB, 640x472px
Title says it all you fucking idiot, Jesus Christ you fucking faggot. Can't you read titles?
>>
>>36636364
The real problem is that parents need to discipline their kids.
>>
>>36636455
The real problem is Common Core
>>
I left school because you don't learn anything in school.
>>
>>36636510
I think that you do learn things, but that you don't retain enough for that time and effort to be particularly useful. You learn all kinds of cool tidbits and general knowledge in 9th grade? Great, now good luck holding onto that for three or four years until you graduate and (maybe) enter the real world.
>>
>>36636364
Fundamentally a good thing, however not the way it is being hsed in most places.
>>
>>36636455
That is an issue, but another big issue is that school doesn't teach you how to think, it just teaches you how to memorize facts. If you were taught to think before given facts to memorize you'd have a much higher chance of understanding them and storing them better.
>>
>>36637045
I think it depends on which country, school and teacher you have. I had great math teachers who taught me how to think, but also shitty ones where you just had to memorize a procedure and apply it to different numbers each time.
>>
>>36636364
comic is a bit misleading

the teachers' union is so powerful it's almost impossible to fire teachers which creates the problem of being unable to can bad teachers

also schools actually get more money if the students do poorly because of the fallacy of sunken costs
>>
>>36637126
Is it fun to make things up? Do you find it satisfying?

Teacher's unions are strong, but not so strong they can negotiate a lwage for new educators that is decent enough to counterbalance the insane pressure and criticism they face - and in most places there's also a vesting schedule, which means if a school lets you go within the first 3-ish years of your being there, you're gone, plain and simple. The union won't fight for your job, specifically. Not at that stage of the game.

And since NCLB was passed, schools that do poorly get less funding. This isn't even a secret; journalists and academics have been writing about it for over a decade.

I mean, if you're going to pull assumptions out of your ass and present them as facts, you could at least try to spin them into something a little more imaginative.
>>
Standardized testing was put in place so the smart kids can't excel. No kid left behind also means no kid will get ahead.

The conservatives put it in place so that private education would be a more attractive option. people who own these schools will get more profits, and the people who can afford to send their kids there will do better.

It was a con against the working class.
>>
If it's done right it works really well. The way the US has it set up is kinda fucked.
>>
>>36637265
>muh conservative boogeyman
It was actually libruls to make it so the nogs can make it past 3rd grade
>>
>>36637045
This.
Children tend to react badly because western schooling relies on strict point-based grading; discouraging students from being wrong and assuming this will encourage them to be right. It doesn't help that high schoolers are constantly told they need an obligatory 4 years of college or else they're doomed to live in poverty (Which is a lie). Standardized testing is as much a test of obedience as it is a test of learning.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.